And Blizzard's big announcement is...

Started by Jeramiahh, June 28, 2008, 12:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

Even if the Barbarian is the only returning class, they're bound to have a class that is just tossing pure magic around.

Paladins are less so assured, but I still think there'll be another melee character next to the Barbarian.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Xillen on July 24, 2008, 04:18:54 AM
Even if the Barbarian is the only returning class, they're bound to have a class that is just tossing pure magic around.

Paladins are less so assured, but I still think there'll be another melee character next to the Barbarian.

Witchdoctors.  They're badass.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Xillen

Mmh, but they seem to be utility casters, relying partially on summons and totems and combos, whereas there most likely will be another caster focussing on direct damage spells.

There is the Barbarian.
There is the Witch Doctor.
There will most likely be a character that at least has the option to focus on ranged weapons (Rogue/Amazon/Ranger type).
There will most likely be a character that focuses on direct damage spells (Sorcerer/Sorceress/Mage type).
The 5th character leaves the most options. But with the Barbarian being the only melee option (unless they make the Ranger quite hybrid), they most likely give it melee abilities.

Hellfyre

Given that the game has huge swarms of little enemies, much larger groups of such than in diablo 1 or 2. And massive bosses, much like the one in the finale of the gameplay video. I think that they will have a class that does obscene Melee damage, but to one enemy, like an assassin, or some such. Just an idea. That boss was huge. :< Poor Baba.

ZK

Maybe they'll have better customer support for this then Diablo I and World of Warcraft had. :/

On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Xillen

Diablo I is something from their early days. They just fired up Battle.net, and there wasn't even any key protection on their CD's! Can't really expect much of it.

WoW is not Battle.net. It's a completely seperate department. I had my fair share of problems with the WoW department, but that doesn't mean I'm going to distrust Battle.net.

ZK

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

RubySlippers

But Diablo I had some nice charm I liked three classes and it was in its own way elegant. And didn't suck up uber amounts of computer memory.  :D

ZK

The game was good, the online was... eeek!

RubySlippers

I played in an instore network its a great game for that when you can yell at the other players what you want them to do.  :D

Not that I don't like Diablo II or LOD I do and hope they keep supporting them for their fans but the new game may be better. I wish you could select a gender in most cases like be a male or female barbarian or whatever.

And that big boss looks scary....  :-\

Xillen

You can! All player characters now have both a male and a female variant, as usual with cosmetic changes only.

Chris Brady

I think the Sorceress/or will be coming back.  After all, the "Mage Clans" were a big thing in D2.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Xillen

I haven't seen the thing about they're only recycling the Barbarian. If you read the FAQ on the D3 site, it even seems to indicate that there'll be at least another recycled class, but even if they don't, they can just call it something else. Sorcerer/Sorceress might be a tad confusing as it indicates a gender, so there's a decent chance it'll have a different name, but the same core mechanics.

Hellfyre

"We have no plans to carry classes over. It's a fresh start, we haven't finalized the final classes or how many there will be. We're not trying to bring back Diablo II classes." - Though I'm not so sure about this one. x3

"Blizzard Entertainment also stated that other than the Barbarian, there will be no returning character classes from the first two games. It's quite likely that the Barbarian is an exception because it was far and wide the favorite character class, most often chosen by Diablo II players."

Also:

In before blizzard releases SC2 and Diablo 3, then starts charging a monthly subscription for battlenet 3. Causing outrage. ;D

kongming

What was Battlenet actually for, anyway? I honestly don't know. I'm going to assume it was just some online server?

In that case, even if they do charge, it's not much of an issue: going by previous games, the single player campaign(s) should be worth the cost of purchase alone, and if you want to play multiplayer, just go to a LAN. That way you can share snacks and shout rude words at the other players anyway :D
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Jeramiahh

Battle.net was just Blizzard's online servers, yeah.

And yes, LANs are so much fun. There's nothing like a well-coordinated team pulling off impossible tasks, like dominating a series of missions designed for twice as many people, of a higher level, in City of Heroes, or winning a 32 player map of Team Fortress 2, with your people taking 1st-4th.

"Oh god, why are you all dying, stop dying!"
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

kongming

I used to, many years ago, just do small LANs with groups of friends. As in, around 5 of us. We had a lot of fun, though - going through Diablo 1 cloning items (specifically, cloning each others ears), then playing whatever mass shootan game was popular at the time, then a little Dungeon Siege...

And if ever we couldn't decide what to play, we'd play Tron until we did decide.

Good times.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Sabby

We would play Earth Special Forces until we decided on a game. Good times...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Rhapsody on July 24, 2008, 07:31:19 AM
Witchdoctors.  They're badass.

As I stated, they're the Necro analog, there's no 'pure' blaster yet.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

RubySlippers

Quote from: Hellfyre on July 25, 2008, 09:09:17 AM
"We have no plans to carry classes over. It's a fresh start, we haven't finalized the final classes or how many there will be. We're not trying to bring back Diablo II classes." - Though I'm not so sure about this one. x3

"Blizzard Entertainment also stated that other than the Barbarian, there will be no returning character classes from the first two games. It's quite likely that the Barbarian is an exception because it was far and wide the favorite character class, most often chosen by Diablo II players."

Also:

In before blizzard releases SC2 and Diablo 3, then starts charging a monthly subscription for battlenet 3. Causing outrage. ;D

They better not the BEST thing about Blizzard is their servers are currently free and lets you play hours and hours of games for the cost of the basic product only. I just hope they still keep Diablo II supported its still a good game.  ???

Xillen

Mmh, Battle.net is indeed support for only Blizzard games (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft II BNE, Diablo II and Warcraft III). They're split in US East, US West, Europe and Asia (and Asia2 and Asia3 in more recent dates? Not sure). WoW is the only Windows game from Blizzard that doesn't use Battle.net.

So they're going to charge for online Starcraft II and Diablo III support? If at a decent price, I'm probably game. I DO hope that it's one overall fee, though, and not a seperate fee for Starcraft II and Diablo III. That would just be stupid.

ZK

Feh, Online for non MMO games should be free and always remain free.

I'll only PAY for it if they release constant updates for it. If not, there is no point in paying.

Le RandomBloke

Quote from: ZK on July 27, 2008, 02:52:44 PM
Feh, Online for non MMO games should be free and always remain free.

I'll only PAY for it if they release constant updates for it. If not, there is no point in paying.

This reminds me of Hellgate: London, what a bunch of fail.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

ZK

So much fail Namco Bandai bought it... yes, the PC company of it... NB makes awesome games for the consoles... but PC, keep them AWAY.

Chris Brady