Caloren: City of Lost Virtues (Psuado-Medieval Strategy)

Started by Vassus, October 08, 2012, 12:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vassus

Nobility Positions: Open
Mercantile (trader) Positions: Open
Peasant Positions: Always Open
IC Thread: Soon to Come
Caloren: City of Lost Virtues
A Crown of Cobwebs

The city of Caloren, the one-time jewel of the land, a city built for royalty, the capitol of an empire, the Empire! But, that golden age is gone, swept away by the land that it depended on. A great plague reared it's head, gripping the city in claws of death. People, animals, even part of the crops in the fields, succumbed to a inglorious end. But, though it certainly didn't light the world, the fire of civilization still shined. People are beginning to pick up the pieces, and life goes on.

The Revival of Man

Caloren is recovering from the plague. There are great buildings, various places of commerce, all sorts of housing. Everything a great city needs, only lacking the people they should be housing. With only a small population, some buildings have gone into disrepair. But, this is still (possibly even more so), a land of opportunity. Before, you were born a peasant, you stayed a peasant. But, a great power vacuum has opened, and the wise, the cunning, and the brave, can all make a name for themselves. Political power is now not something you are simply born with. It can be taken, bought, or even found. The old nobility is dead, and there positions are up for grabs.

Age of Opportunity

This is a story of rivalry, of negotiation. Of peace, and of war. Of rise, and fall. Everything from the struggle to the top of the political ladder, to romance: for love, or otherwise.  You, my good sir, or madame, have a chance. A chance for what? That's up to you.

You start out either living in the city, in the lands surrounding, or arriving to this land. You don't start out with much, but there are many paths that lie before you. I will be playing NPCs, but, if everything goes to plan, they'll come up much less often, as players take the roles.

The World Around Us

Until I acquire a map, I will use my incredible literary powers to describe this land!

The walls of the Caloren are high, made of stone. One can climb up to the top of them, but you have to be careful. The elements have not been kind, and the city lacks any sort of engineer to assist in repair. From these walls, the city lies out before you. You see the castle, still standing on a hill. Towers, topped by ragged flags, are on the outside of the main hall, which itself surrounds a Gothic style dome. It is close to the centre, and the stairs leading down from the castle gates lead to the marketplace. Various tents, surrounding Romanesque buildings. With you facing North, to the East, you see various trade shops. The ones that are still in use have smoke rising from their chimneys. You can hear smiths yelling at their apprentices from here. Even before the plague, a unique area of Caloren is the horse racing track, next to a less impressive amphitheatre. It stands to remind the people of the past, and how life used to be better. Maybe someone will make a use of it? These are to the West, along with the more high class homes. To the South, to where everyone else lives. With the lack of authority after the Death, crime has risen in the area. Petty thieves, thugs, even small bands of mercenaries. You can see the barracks, an armoury, training what recruits it can find for the city guard.

Outside the city, life is even more sparse. Small farms still operate, under threat from bandits, themselves taking advantage of the lack of military. Some of them used to be military men themselves, taking to banditry when their officers couldn't pay them. Small manors still exist, and raw materials still come into the city, however meagre they are. Wood camps, fields, mines, and even a few ports and stables dot the landscape, while Mother Nature takes back what was once hers. Mass graves lie outside the city, with crows pecking at what edible parts of bodies they can find.

Character Sheet
Name:
Physical Description:
Personality:
Bio:
Three Strengths:
Three Flaws:
Reason for Being in Caloren:

The Element of Chance

Now, many actions, and their outcomes, are determined by the player. However, there are many outcomes that are decided by chance, and the nature of your character, and the situation. The outcomes of fights, trade, races, all sorts of things, are determined by the GM. Don't let this scare you off, as I'm not just going to decide by myself what's going to happen. The system will be improved as time goes on. Just remember, the world is a tough place, and things don't go your way every time.

(Elliquay has a dice roller, which makes me happy I get to do this run on this site. For the time being, if you make anything that fall under the categories above, or anything else you think of, please roll 1d20, and post it with the rest of your post. Of course, if a co-DM would like to take up a position that handles the system part of this RP, by all means, contact me.)

Possible Character Starting Positions:
Noble
Merchant
Soldier (city guard, or expeditionary force.)
Herald, Paige, Messenger (Royal or Private Servant)
Doctor, Herbalist etc. (Medical)
Poet, Painter, etc. (commissioned artist)
Jeweller, Dye Merchant, Spice Merchant etc. (Luxury Vendor)
Priest (Varying Levels, talk to Ironman or myself)
Bandit, Thief, Assassin etc. (Criminal)
Fisherman, Farmer, Bee-keeper, etc. (agriculture, raw food)
Butcher, Baker, etc (Food processor)
Mercenary, Bodyguard, etc. (Private Military)
Broom-Maker, Sewage Help (Public Maintenance)
Sword-Maker, Bow-Stringer, Armourer, etc. (Military supplier)
Horse Breeder
Beggar, Vagrant
E-Mail: radically.irrelevant@gmail.com

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Vassus

I've played this little ditty before, but it didn't pander out for long. I'm looking for able-minded players, and a co-DM. Religion was brought up in my last game, and it deserves to be addressed, as I didn't before, above. Religion was a huge part of European life, and I can't simply abandon it. But, because religion can cloud peoples minds in RPs, I'm going to replace the religion we know, or at least knew, and hopefully replace them. If anyone wants to assist, we can talk about that over PMs.

That's about as close to magic as I'm going to get. Maybe, just maybe, I could be convinced to add more, but, as it is now, it's simply, well, a religion. Tithe goes to the church, and how much of the money the government grabs affects how the church, and it's flock, like the government. It gives people peace, but puts a rousing spirit in others. Whether that's a spirit of charity, modesty, or blood-lust is up to the person, and what they're told by the priest.

Speaking of government, right now it's a monarchy, though whether it stays that way, or goes back to a republic, is anyone's guess. Maybe theocracy will grab hold, or a pure democracy. Long before the plague, a great republican empire was based off of the capitol of Caloren, and even now, there are still some who wish to go back.

I've not much experience in DMing, so, whether you simply wish to ask questions, or step up to co-DM, I would appreciate it. But, I still have my Rping experience, so I know to be choosy when looking over these sorts of things.

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

TheHangedOne

This looks interesting. I've already got several ideas. Also, I wouldn't mind being a co-DM for you.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Vassus

Specific rolls I would like to be filled by co-DMs:
Systems "Manager" (AKA: Dice rolling to determine the outcome of uncontrollable events)
More to come

Otherwise, people who are willing to play characters to ease people into the theme of this game. Though this is an open-choice sort of RP, I would like enough people heading into the same direction so that they can, well, role-play! Please, PM me if you're interested in co-DMing. Talk to me.

Vassus

While their will be other groups of people, for the moment, we're simply keeping the focus on Caloren.

TheHangedOne

Well, my current idea is the head of a mercenary company that is looking to exploit the power-gap. My idea is that he might have entered into the house and land of a noble whose family either fled or died from the plague, and found, amongst other things, the deeds to the property (or some other physical proof of ownership).

Which isn't to say he won't maintain the territory by force. He will. But in case any 'legitimate' authority shows up, he has something to say that it's his now, fair and square.

Of course, even a small company of mercs will require NPCs to fill out the ranks, but their could be room for a few lieutenants to be played by other players.
Check out my poet tree!

Vassus

That sounds like a great idea. Though you're fine, i do need to watch out that we don't have too many characters in one category, save for pseudo-nobles, actual nobles, and peasantry. Keep in mind, there are many ways to power and fortune, and those two things don't always come in a pair.

I would like to see him before he finds deeds, though that's not any sort of order.

TheHangedOne

Alright, here will be the merc captain. It's still a WIP, I may not finish it for a few days, as I have a busy schedule this week.

Name: Erik Derstahl
Physical Description: Black hair that is kept short due to its tactical advantage, and a shaved smooth face that is home to a rather nasty scar that runs nearly the entire length of his head, and over his left eye. Brown eyes. Six feet even in height, and around 220 lbs in weight. Boasts a muscular build that's pockmarked by scars.
Personality: Calm and stoic, it is rare for him to express emotion, even in the heat of battle. Generally aloof. A realist, but occasionally veers into cynicism.
Bio: A bastard child of some miller's daughter who had a roll in the hay with some wandering adventurer or mercenary or something-or-other; he's not entirely sure which it was, but he doesn't care.

Being a bastard made him into a social pariah, and consequently, he became a very self-sufficient person over time.  Working at the mill also helped him to build up some musculature, as he was often also making deliveries of freshly milled flour around the sizable village he called home.

One day, after a heated dispute with his grandfather over something rather mild (He had mouthed off to the baker), he decided to up and leave. He was sick of the villager's gossiping about him, sick of his grandfather abusing him with obscene demands and long work hours, and his own mother, who could barely care about him.

This was around the age of 16. He joined a militia in a neighboring town for a few years, but later on quit once again, and left; he couldn't find what he was looking for here,  either.

At the age of 20, he had signed up with a mercenary company, and would spend the next ten years of his life as a warrior of it. He slowly made his way up the ranks, eventually becoming the commander, Gustav's, right hand man.

At the age of 32, they had been contracted into the service of a nobleman to fight off some bandits. Unfortunately, these bandits were well equipped and well funded mercenaries in their own right, sent to disrupt the one lord's economy through pilferage, as part of some Machiavellian scheme of some sort.

Though the Death Bringer's eventually triumphed, it was a Pyrrhic victory. They lost about 80% of their men, including their leader.

Soon afterwards, Erik found out about the situation in Caloren, and decided that though they were small, the company still had a chance of taking advantage of the situation. A few left, and he allowed them to do so freely; he would not force them to follow his crazy plan.

In the end, only a dozen men stood with him, but they were all battle-hardened veterans. And they had their goal before them.
Three Strengths:
1: Intimidating
2: Diplomatic
3: Tenacious
Three Flaws:
1: Intimidating
2: Harsh
3: One-eye

Other notes:
4 archers, 2 spearmen, 2 macemen, 2 light cavalry, and a crossbowman are his merc forces. They've all got decent equipment, mostly boiled leather armor with a white skull dyed on the back of the chestplate, and well cared for weapons.

Erik himself is trained to fight with a broadsword and throwing knives, and wears a blackened steel chestplate (with the white skull painted onto it), with the rest of his armor being made of tanned leather.
Check out my poet tree!

Vassus

While I think of what more should go on the character sheet, any character posted will not be forced to revise, if it's already accepted. Erik is let by.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Vassus

People who join in the early stages can start with a bit more power, but, as we go, people are going to start with less and less, so they actually have to work at it, and understand how the game is before they start changing everything.

You're mercenary troop brings up what I've just made, a starting troop limit. 12, including yourself (if you're fighting as well), is a good number to start with. Well, that's the maximum start limit, anyway.

Once we get, let's say, five players, I'll set up the IC.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Vassus on October 09, 2012, 12:27:39 PM
People who join in the early stages can start with a bit more power, but, as we go, people are going to start with less and less, so they actually have to work at it, and understand how the game is before they start changing everything.

You're mercenary troop brings up what I've just made, a starting troop limit. 12, including yourself (if you're fighting as well), is a good number to start with. Well, that's the maximum start limit, anyway.

Once we get, let's say, five players, I'll set up the IC.
In light of the troop limit, I knocked the cavalry down to 2, since Erik is very much a lead-from-the-front kind of warrior.

Also, I do plan to play from Day 1 of their arrival to Caloren, but I'm thinking they're likely to try and set up shop near some farms. presumably, their's a nice abandoned manor house of one sort or another near-to some farmland that they could use as their base of operations. Keep the peasants safe, in exchange for food.
Check out my poet tree!

Vassus

I like the sound of that. If anyone wants to play one of those peasants, I can extend the focus a bit more, further into the country side. If this gets big enough, I have plans that require a large amount of RPers. Throw some politics from outside of Caloren in.

Vassus

If anyone is interested in playing a young noble son of the dying king, he would be available, and a nice niche to fill. I would ask that he wouldn't be particularly aggressive, if he even wants the crown at all. Otherwise, there will be a succession crisis when the old king dies, which will be a secret (when I feel the RP is stable, with a few constant players, and a flow of interest.).

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Ironwolf85

Yo, actually been helping him with the religion section
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Vassus

Yes, Hanged Man has been the only to actually post here (until now), but I'm still generating interest.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Ironwolf85

right, many aren't sure what to play.
as I'm working on some of the religion i'm thinking of grabbing my character a bishopey position
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Vassus

I think I might lay out some starting "classes", tough, I remind everyone that nothing is solid for your character.

Ironwolf85