News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Iron Kingdoms RPG (Closed...for now)

Started by Crash, January 01, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miroque

Il post about them when i get home.. and yes i was thinking hillbilly hunter family tjat lives on the outskirts of the town.. and cause allkind of trouble for her.. and to the town.. (indian girl in frontiertown type of situation)

Crash

Some military carriers may work in terms of the Law in Nynsk.  Winterguard and Military Officer careers could work in that context.

Which reminds me, I really need to look for the Khadorean terms for Sheriff, nobility and merchant class again.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Crash

Anikita Ivanov added to the World Building Thread

Anikita Ivanov
A middle child Anikita wasn’t satisfied with being married off like her sisters and instead began work in her family’s foundry before her majority.  She has somehow managed to survive the family curse.  There are whispers it is because of her gift, which to the superstitious townsfolk could be a manifestation of the family’s bad luck anyway.  Anikita’s was always an intelligent girl and had a way with tools, but it was Dommat Seaforge that recognized the spark of magic within the girl first and suggested Anikita’s parents talk with the Lord Mayor about getting her training. 

Anikita was sent to the Khadoran Institute of Engineering in the capital city of Korsk.  She grew into an exceptional arcane mechanic, but turned down a military commission to return home and work for both her parents and Dommat.  She is often called on by both the lumber mill and the foundry to repair their steamjacks and continue to modernize their production.
Anikita is a no-nonsense woman who claims she has little time for courtship or marriage.  In truth she has no interest in men and never has.  Anikita always has a pet project or two of her own to keep her busy but still enjoys spending time outdoors and takes unexpected strolls in the foothills and the Rimeshaw.  When walking alone Anikita takes her steamjack Miska with her for protection.

Despite her somewhat delicate appearance Anikita can often be found in loud discourse with laborers and management at the Mill or Foundry.  She doesn’t back down from confrontation and can be a bit of a hot head.  A trait she developed at the Institute to make sure she was heard among her male counterparts.

Away from work she prefers quiet contemplation and a warm fire or the feeling of freshly falling snowflakes on her cheeks.  The beauty of winter enthralls her and is one of the reasons she chose home over the war.

All - When we start getting better defined concepts from players I will make a decision on what the final roster will be, but I know we have had some interest by a few people and I would like to give them a chance to jump in and see what they are thinking before we get to that.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Dhi

An early proof of concept.

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 04:04:09 PM
Some military carriers may work in terms of the Law in Nynsk.  Winterguard and Military Officer careers could work in that context.

Which reminds me, I really need to look for the Khadorean terms for Sheriff, nobility and merchant class again.
I always liked the flavor of kayazy as merchants.

Character Name: Valentine Karskaja
Race or Ethnicity: Skirov
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
Proposed Careers: Investigator + (Spy, Alchemist, or Arcanist)

Concept and Background: Magic is not a thing of beauty - that is a fairy tale for little girls. Magic is a wild, voracious, man-eating beast. From the stony wood of the Rimeshaws Papa Karskaja fashioned many resolute and breathtaking things which would endure the years and its culling winters, but Valentine was his finest work. With the mettle to brave the strange and mysterious, the acuity to sort truth from fiction, and the cunning to protect her own, she will thrust a scholar's hand into the beating heart of the occult and tear free that which is powerful for the glory of the Khadoran Empire.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on January 02, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
I always liked the flavor of kayazy as merchants.

Kayazy was the word I was looking for.  Thanks Dhi.

Crash

The Nobility

The Petru Family

The Petru family has had a long and proud lineage in the Duwurkyn Volozk, though is a virtual unknown on greater political map of Khador.  The Petru are of Skirov decent and favor fairer skin and hair which is not uncommon in Skirov people.  A Petru has been the Viscount of the area since the beginning of the first Vanar Dynasty.  Despite their relative anonymity, all of the Petru children serve in the Khador Military if they wish to become the titular heir.  Non-heirs of the family are often members of the church, the military or as Posadnik of nearby towns.

• Posadnik Iagan Petru
    Master Iagan Petru is the Posadnik in charge of Nynsk.  While Posadnik is not a hereditary title the Petru’s have held it for the past two generations much to the chagrin of the former Posadnik’s family the Bolovan’s, who are still prominent merchants and land owners.  Iagan has served for the past decade as Captain of a Winter Guard unit in Lael and suffers from some PTSD symptoms from the war.  Since his battles with the Protectorate he lost his faith in Menoth and converted to the worship of Morrow.  He helped pay for the construction of a new church in Nynsk upon his return and has been a regular face for sermons.  This has not gone over well with the new Master of Rites Nadine, but the town has prospered under Iagan’s stewardship so the grumblings of Nadine’s supporters and the Bolovan’s have gone mostly unheeded by the Old Faith congregation.  However if the fortunes of Nynsk were to take a turn for the worst this could become more of a problem.

Crash

Anyone who wants to answer:

Nynsk is known for a small export other than Lumber and parts.  What is it?

What is the food most eaten at a Longest Night Dinner?  What significance does it have?

Who is the bogeyman/woman that parents tell their children about?

Tackyhillbilly

Character Name: Dommat Searforge
Race or Ethnicity: Rhul
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Proposed Careers: Searforge Trader/Field Mechanik

Concept and Background: Dommat Searforge has lived in Khador his entire life, rarely stepping outside the Duwurkyn Volozk. But he is still a foreigner, if a tolerated one, and he knows it. He was sent to Nynsk 8 years ago by the clan, to handle operations in the area. The Searforges find the mineral wealth of Nynsk valuable, and 'Jack Parts and weapons can find buyers anywhere. Dommat runs a business maintaining 'Jacks, which are used heavily in the mining and other industries. He takes pay mostly in the form of materials they produce, which he transports out twice a year, at the end of Spring and Fall in large caravans. These are rather festive events, as Dommat will pick up most of the bill for transport of goods for other people in town. After all, the Caravans always have empty space coming up. Bright Shawls, toys, instruments, things that don't let you live, but make the life better. For that, the people of Nynsk are fond of their Dwarf. Certainly, they don't view him as family, but he's useful, amusing, and always has a bright smile. Very few think if that smile is maybe an affecation.

---

Back-up Human Character

Character Name: Daumantas Ivanov
Race/Ethnicity: Skirov
Careers: Horsemen/Investigator

Background: Daumantas is an all purpose government worker. Nynsk doesn't need a huge standing guard, or police force, so many of the officers in the Watch pull double or triple duty. Most of the time, Daumantas serves as the postman, running mail and the like to outlying communities. He's generally a welcome sight, bringing news from family gone afar, friends in distant places. It is easy to forget his other job. Coroner, forensics, and cop, all in one. It isn't often that he has to investigate crimes, most being of the petty type. Most of the time he sees a dead body, its to haul it in from accident for burial. But he's useful all the same.

---

The Skirov of Nynsk fear the Face in the Snow. The story has many variations, but the most common goes like this. Many years ago, a dying Nyssian Elf was found by the people of Nynsk. They brought him to Nynsk, which was far smaller in those days. The Elf was at the edge of death, but somehow hung on, to stubborn to die. 1 season, then two. The people fed him, for that was what they believe Menoth would have them do. But when winter hit, another mystery gripped the town. Children vanished. One by one. No one ever saw them taken, or fall, or anything happen to them. They were just picked off. What happened wracked the town till spring. The Elf... long forgotten except by the priest that cared for him... vanished with the melting snow. And outside his window? Where the snow had piled, and piled, till it could never be shifted? Bones. Picked clean. Showing teeth marks. The people searched, but the Elf could not be found. Until the first snowfall... when the people had grown lax. Had forgotten. Two siblings, a boy and a girl had been allowed out of sight. And the boy was first to see it. He saw the snow shift... and finally take on the Elf's face. Except, the Elf had not nearly so many sharp teeth, nor a neck so long as to allow it to snap out of the snow... grabbing his sister around the neck with a crunch and pulling her down into the snow. They didn't find the girl till next spring. Her bones piled, chewed clean. Now, the Skirov say, the Face in the Snow waits every winter, to snatch children who wander from their parents... to leave only their chewed bones behind.

Most sensible people believe the story is largely fictitious. A child who dies and is not found till spring will be chewed. No supernatural elf is needed. The Wolves will do that for them. However, it does ensure that children do not wander to far when there is snow on the ground, a sensible thing of course.

Crash

Tacky - Good stuff.  You may want to reconsider the investigator career on Duamantas as I think It is pretty integral to Dhi's character and don't want to double up.  Bounty Hunter may work for him though.  What do you think?

Tackyhillbilly

I considered that, but Bounty Hunter and Horseman mix about as well as Oil and Water. Honestly, as a back up, Bounty Hunter/Highwayman would work mechanically, though Daumantas isn't a Highwayman at all in fluff.

Crash

TheGlyphstone

This looks like it could be fun - I really like Iron Kingdoms, and I absolutely love collaborative world-building like what is going on. Is there still potential to join in, or do you already have more applicants than you intend to take players?

Crash

You are welcome to join in.  I haven't finalized all of the players yet.  I know Dhi is playing an Investigator + (Either Spy, Alchemist or Arcanist), her second career is based on party need.  Pumpkin is playing a Ranger/ Rifleman. 

I am leaning towards one non-human race at most so anyone that wants to submit a non-human needs to submit a human concept too.

I am going to leave the interest thread up over the weekend and determine final characters late Sunday or Monday.

Look over the first post and the World building thread to see what we have come up with and feel free to answer any of the previously unanswered questions I have put to the potential players.

Crash

I just need concepts and proposed careers write now not full characters.

TheGlyphstone

How would you feel about a Field and/or Arcane Mechanik, Priest of Cyriss?

Miroque

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 10:51:54 PM
Anyone who wants to answer:

Nynsk is known for a small export other than Lumber and parts.  What is it?
What is the food most eaten at a Longest Night Dinner?  What significance does it have?
Who is the bogeyman/woman that parents tell their children about?

Im from Finland IRL, and if we can/will draw similarities for Laplandish folk and northern part Khador, then I could offer some folklorish answers.
1) Raw coal (open mines), Tar (comes from trees), Furs and meat (mainly reindeer)
2) Reindeer, rootvegetables that are stored, pickeled fish and pies. Significance of midwinter feast in finlandish folklore was to rebirth of sun and coming of spring.
3) Giants that eat men in the blizzards and witches of the north.

Hope this helps?

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 03, 2015, 02:54:01 AM
How would you feel about a Field and/or Arcane Mechanik, Priest of Cyriss?

Keeping it menoth and morrow for now.

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 03, 2015, 05:33:57 AM
Im from Finland IRL, and if we can/will draw similarities for Laplandish folk and northern part Khador, then I could offer some folklorish answers.
1) Raw coal (open mines), Tar (comes from trees), Furs and meat (mainly reindeer)
2) Reindeer, rootvegetables that are stored, pickeled fish and pies. Significance of midwinter feast in finlandish folklore was to rebirth of sun and coming of spring.
3) Giants that eat men in the blizzards and witches of the north.

Hope this helps?

It doesn't have to be based on reality.  I am just prompting people to get them to come up with fun things about the Town thought that information is still useful.

Miroque

Quote from: Crash on January 03, 2015, 11:20:12 AM
It doesn't have to be based on reality.  I am just prompting people to get them to come up with fun things about the Town thought that information is still useful.

I got that, but as Khador is basicly Preusian/Russian empire with Scandinavian feel those realworld comparisons might help .. I hope anyway :)

Crash

They most certainly do help. :)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 03, 2015, 10:36:28 AM
Keeping it menoth and morrow for now.

Okay, forget the Priest then. But I've got a new idea I like almost as much - a Field Mechanik/Thief who baits traps for victims with his fully armed and operational battle station laborjack.

TheGlyphstone

Character Name: Josef Zavor
Race or Ethnicity: Human Male (Khardic)
Proposed Careers: Field Mechanik/Thief

Concept and Background: 
Zavor & Zavor was a moderately prosperous shipping+loading firm in Skrovenberg - not one of the great merchants, but successful enough to stay in business and build up a surplus. Vasily Zavor was a hard-working, stolid, and determined sort, greatly responsible for the success of Zavor & Zavor. Unfortunately, his son Josef was not. While his father ran the family firm and effectively did all the work, Josef drank, gambled, and generally lazed about on the very edge of his means. He was the despair of his father, but his mother had died of sickness one winter and Josef was the only heir Vasily would ever see. Naturally, the time came when the elder Zavor finally died and Josef inherited a business he didn't want and didn't know how to run. So he sold it to pay off his gambling debts, keeping only the family laborjack, and headed deeper into the Motherland in search of some sort of fortune. Rather than resort to gainful employment and/or sell off the 'jack, he got creative and turned to a life of crime. A laborjack was anything but stealthy, but it could be a fantastic distraction and decoy with a little artful rust and damaged parts painted on, or just walking down a thoroughfare and jostling prospective pickpocket victims. When travelers in an area started getting wise to supposedly abandoned steamjacks sitting by a roadside for easy salvage, he'd move on before the local constabulatory could track him down. Now he's come to Nynsk, to lay low for a while off his ill-gotten gains and scope out the traffic in and out of the town before resuming 'work'.

Creeper, the formerly nameless laborjack that Josef made into his partner in crime, is far more capable than its appearance lets on. Josef habitually paints the 'jack's chassis with false patches of rust and 'damaged' components, to better suit its role as a heap of salvage just waiting for some gullible victim on the road. As well, its left arm is an entirely false shell, a hollow 'fist' that fits over the steam-launched harpoon cannon replacing its left forearm. A few scratch-built mods to its steam vents reduce the visual signs of a 'jack under power and (very slightly) muffle it.

In its own right, Creeper has developed some distinctive mannerisms in imitation of its owner. It walks with a loose-legged, stalking gait as if believing itself to be even remotely capable of anything resembling stealth, and delights in 'playing dead' for greedy strangers. It also tends to be almost as lazy as Josef, blithely ignoring any attempts to make it do actual manual labor without Josef standing by and directing it in detail.

(If I get a chance to progress with this concept, I would like to have Play Dead be an actual command Creeper knows, replacing Work on the list of built-in commands a Ferrum-Grade Cortex can recognize. With the boiler capped, it would look and sound like it was in shutdown mode, but primed to act on command.)

Crash

Glyphstone - All character must have grown up in or close to Nynsk if they are of the wilderness bent.  I want all of the characters to have strong ties to the town and the other characters.  That does not mean that the character has to be the nicest person, but I am not going to accept any recently arrived characters.

Tie him into one of the Kayazy families that either exist in Nynsk or make one up that already exists in Nynsk and give it a write up and he will fit in much better.

May want to consider making him Skirov instead of Khardic too.  Khards are a significant minority in Nynsk.  The majority is Skirov followed by Kossite, then Rustov (Pumpkin is working on them as a gypsy type group), and last is Khard.  Though he may fit in with the Khardic family that owns the Lumber Mill.

TheGlyphstone

How is a habitual thief with a pet steamjack going to have any possibility of blending in under those conditions? I could move his origin to Nynsk just fine - lumber-mill works as easily as port-city ship loading business, but then how would you be able to justify him not having been identified and arrested by now? I really like this character and I really want to play in this game, but not at the cost of making the constabulatory of Nynsk - which includes one of the other potential PCs, it looks like - completely incompetent.

Crash

Dhi and Pumpkin - I would like you both to start working on full characters.  I have a character sheet in the opening post.

Tacky - I honestly like Dommat as an NPC.  If you want to start writing up a full character and background for Daumantas, then I say go for it!

I am still waiting on concepts from everyone else, but maybe seeing your three characters will give others a way to tie into them.  Please use this space to work on ties between characters.

Glyphstone - If he keeps his ambush tactics from targeting townsfolk or uses Nynsk as a base and leaves for a month or two at a time to do his dirty work, I see no problems with that.  He wouldn't be able to target anyone anywhere once winter sets in and could use his steamjack to pick up some tasteless grunt work in the lean months.  There are plenty of Kossite clans in the Shards and towns along the river that could be used as prey.  Hell the owners of the Mill may even pay him for messing with other smaller town mills.  The Lumber Mill has chased other competition out of town before and would not hesitate to do it again.

I am being a little more anal than I would be with characters for this game because I want it to be a close group of people based in a collaboratively built town in the hinterlands of Khador.  I think your character can fit with a little massaging.