Silver Cliffs Island - 18th century setting

Started by RedEve, September 12, 2014, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

I am looking to create a small group game (3-4 players) revolving around a fictional island just of the New England coast.
This game would be set in the late 18th century (after the 13 Colonies had earned their independence).

The main protagonists on this island would be a family of wealthy farmers (who have become the masters of the isle through the amount of land they own as well as their wealth).

Though not entirely limited to smut, much of this game would focus on the sexual/relational hijinks they get up to.

I see the patriarch being a hound who screws (or at least tries to) everything that moves.

I see his children being equally libertine (though each of them in their own way). His extended family would also be eccentric/liberated.

The roles that can be played in this game would roughly fall apart in three groups:
A family member
A person who works for the family
A villager who somehow comes onto their radar

I would allow everyone one main character, but each player would also be allowed several NPCs.

The island map:

The three small villages on the islands would all pay rents to the Van Nuys family, who own roughly 75% of the land.
The Van Nuys themselves have their estate on the south-west of the island.
This would originally have been a large farm house, but is now more akin to a small mansion.

Van Nuys Estate

Character templates

Miranda Van Nuys
Background: Second wife to Bartholemew Van Nuys, the family patriarch. Miranda grew up as the daughter of the schoolteacher in Honeymeadow. As a young girl, her beauty made her the source of envy of women and girls alike, as well as the object of affection for most eligible bachelors. She spurned many suitors in the hope of advancing her status beyond that of being the wife of a farmer or craftsman. When Bartholemew Van Nuys' first wife died in childbirth whilst giving birth to their third child, he remarried to the then 19-year old Miranda. Miranda soon found out that life as the wealthy lady of the house was not all it was cracked up to be. Bartholew was 18 years her senior, and a brutish lover prone to fits of anger. She quickly found out about his infidelity as well. She gave her husband two more children, but after that, the two of them started living as strangers in the same house. Miranda now cares little as to where her husband gets his little pleasures, as long as he avoids visiting her bed (as they now sleep in separate rooms as well).

Character sheet template

[float=right][img width=400 padding=25](insert image url here)[/img][/float]
[size=18pt][font=georgia][b]Character name[/b][/font][/size]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Background:[/b]

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

RedEve

Updated the opening post with a map of the island.

Express your interest here or through a PM.

Blinkin

Quick question about content.

Is this going to be an incest themed story, or just a jump whoever stands stll long enough theme?

I might be interested in playing a daughter who's appitites are... exceptional.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RedEve

Incest will not be at the core of the game.
It will be more about a family who treats the island as their own little kingdom.
And yes, this will include the way they regard the servants and their serfs.

A daughter with libertine sexual habits would fit right into this game, yes. :)

Blinkin

I think that I get that. I was wondering if incest would be a part of the story, or if that's still taboo and/or forbidden territory? If the daughter's sexual appitites are, in theory, that expansive, I would not put it beyond her to flick her skirts at a brother or father as well as a farm worker or merchant in the village.

Name: Laura Van Nuys
Physical Description: Standing a mere 5’4, Laura is none the less a striking young woman with her mane of strawberry-blonde hair, blue-green eyes in a heartshaped face that had been known to cause envy in some of the most lovely women on the island. While she looks like a little angel, she has a body that was all but made for sin, and she hides quite a little secret in the fact that she has a sexual appitite that might be frightening to some men… not that she’ll be settling for just one if she has her way. Cursed with her father’s temper, she has been known to take out her frustration in screaming rages at anyone who she knows can’t do anything about it; and her attentions on anyone who’ll be willing enough to try and catch her. Between her generous D-cup breast, a narrow waist that’s only emphasized by the corset that she wears and roundd hips and tight rear, she has been known to sneak out under the full moon and dance naked through the woods near their home; her laughter and giggles in the darkness sometimes mistaken for some spirit out to do mischief.
Personality: Laura comes across as an innocent, even naïve young woman with a prim and proper demeanor when in the eye of the public. Soft spoken and respectful of her elders and at least pretending to be what any decent woman should be. When it’s just her and her family, or a private little gathering, she moves into outrageous flirt to open vixen with the eyes of a cat waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting… or the suspecting… at the first indication that they find her attractive. While not totally indiscriminate, her father has had to bail her out of getting a reputation of a brazen whore a few times… although his punishements usually leave her more satisfied than sorriful. She’s manipulative and cunning and willing to do whatever she wants, regardless of the cost… some might say that it’s a miracle that she’s not pregnant three times over by now, but she knows a secret of certain herbs that helps her with that little problem and while she knows that she may have to become some man’s wife at some point, she’s the one who’ll decide when and where she’ll produce a family… and if that one man can’t keep up with her, well, she’ll find someone who can.
Background: The last child of her father’s first marriage, her mother died in her birth. Laura has known this fact since she was old enough to understand what she was being told and it has shaped her personality and direction in life to a great degree; her relationship with her step-mother is civil, but the amount of love between them is limited with the knowledge that she isn't her biological mother and that she killed her mother... a "demon child." rumor persist... so she's living up to it!

Laura is very much her father's child in temperment and passions, although Laura has to be a little more cerconspect about her activities, to say that white would be inappropriate at her wedding would be a vast understatement. Not that she has any intention of marrying in the near future, much less punching out babies until she dies of one of them. She knows that eventually her father will have to choose a husband for her, but unless said man can keep up with her appitites, she won't wait long to find men who can.

Laura's curiosity, then obsession with sex began when she accidently spied her father  enjoying a maid in a shed; she couldn't tear her eyes from the sight and it was only a week or so after that when she found her first lover, A village boy running a message from the village council to her father; it was amazingly easy and once that itch started, nothing seems capable of putting it out. She loves sex in all of it's forms and has collected quite a few conquest. Her father knows about her tendencies and while he can't say that he's pleased, he can't say very much as hshe's his baby girl and just like him. But, some favors have traded hands to insure that her activities don't get spread about the island anymore than the fact that she's very free with her affections and may be the devil in an angel's skin. She's a willful and while far from spoiled, manipulive young woman.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Strangefate

A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

RedEve

Astrofig

RedEve

In terms of the roles that are still available, I would play Miranda and then perhaps another, more minor character.
That means all of the other family members are still available (minus Laura of course).
Bartholemew has five children, three with his first wife and two with Miranda.

Red Stella

I'm definitely interested. 

And I love the picture with the lighthouse.

Featherfall

This sounds wickedly interesting.

Is Bartholemew still available?

RedEve

Yes, Bartholemew is still available.
Keep in mind that per Miranda's CS, he would be 52 at the start of this game.

I'd ask all interested parties to compile a character sheet using the template in my opening post, and then send it to me for approval via a PM. :)

RedEve

I have added some photographs of the Van Nuys estate to the opening post.
I like how they reflect the farm house origins of their manor.

Featherfall

Bartholomew Van Nuys
Background:
Bartholomew had led a life that could only be surmised as interesting. As the second-eldest of the Van Nuys, it was always assumed that it was either the army or the clergy for Bartholomew. As a young man of wild passions, his father thought the army would be better. So it was that Bartholomew found himself in the colonies, fighting heathen Indians, cowardly Frenchies, and those Catholic Spanish bastards. When he wasn’t killing in the name of king and country, he was learning; not the temperance his father desired, but the farming techniques and methods of his fellow colonists, things their tiny island had either forgotten or not bothered to learn.

Opportunity struck when Bartholomew’s elder brother died of malaria, unwed and childless. On his sickbed himself, his father had no choice but to call Bartholomew back. Just barely out of his teens, Bartholomew suddenly found himself married to the woman intended for his sickly brother, and the de-facto head of the Van Nuys family, soon-to-be official when his father passed away the next year.

Over the next twenty years, through the Revolution and beyond, Bartholomew turned Silver Cliffs from the simple home of the family estate into the exclusive property of the Van Nuys family.

Now at 52 and re-married, Bartholomew is king of all he sees, and his wild passions have not left him. He claims any he sees as his own, as much out of a petulant show of manhood, as it is his actual desire. He is prone to bursts of violence when anyone dares get between him and what is his, and his time in the army have made him a very dangerous man, both in a physical confrontation and to match wits against.

He has an odd relationship with his children; displays of affection and genuine love often mixed with disappointment in their faults as offspring and paranoia that they may try and usurp his authority while he still lives and breathes. That their faults are a direct result of his failure as a role-model, or that his paranoia is an acknowledgement of his OWN faults, are thoughts that of course have never crossed his mind.

His current wife had grown boring to him, and thus he allowed her to live as a stranger in his own home. However, every once in a while he sees her, and wonders what it would be like to take her again, or force her onto someone else, or maybe have her while having someone else…

…Then again, why share what is his, even if it is for his own pleasure? Decisions, decisions.

Red Stella

Emeline “Emmy” Van Nuys
Physical Description: Emeline is 5’ 5” tall, with blue eyes, fair skin, and waist-length curly blonde hair.  She has a well proportioned hourglass figure, and is naturally very graceful.
Background: Emeline is the youngest child and only daughter of Geoffrey Tremayne of Cornwall, a business associate of Bartholemew Van Nuys.  She was raised to be a good girl, helpful with the household and God-fearing.  She did her best, even after she started to develop the wrong sort of feelings and thoughts about the stableboy and several older men on the household staff.  Beyond a few incidents where she managed to peek in on several trysts, Emmy never got the opportunity to do anything more serious than ward off her frustrations quietly in her own bed at night. 

A few months before her 17th birthday, an agreement was reached between Geoffrey and Bartholemew.  Emmy wasn’t given any details, just told she was being sent to the Americas, and was to be the bride of Bartholemew’s youngest son.  Arranged marriages were not uncommon, but she wasn’t happy to be sent so far away to live with strangers. 

The wedding was small, quick, and took place the day after her ship landed.  Nathaniel Van Nuys was an attractive young man who dutifully took part in the wedding because he was told to do so.  The wedding night was awkward, and it became quickly apparent that Emmy’s new husband was not all that interested in her beyond consummating the marriage as was expected. 

Now she is in a new house, having to learn new rules and routines.  She’s still getting used to the people there and their odd habits, and her father-in-law keeps looking at her in a way that makes her both nervous and embarrassed. 

RedEve

Wonderful characters everyone.

Preferably I would add at least one more character before I start this up.

MagicalPen

Konrad Van Nuys
Background: Born to Bartholomews first wife, Konrad was 7 years old when she died giving birth to his youngest sibling - Laura. As the oldest of all the children, Konrad has long been regarded as the man to take over the family business once his father retires from the scene, but he is more then happy to wait in the wings until such a time.

Konrad enjoys his freedom on the Island, often going on long rides or hikes through the surrounding countryside. He has also seemed to have made it his life long goal to bed every woman on the island as well, using his good looks and charm to woo them into bed - or behind the barn for a tussle in the hay. He certainly seems to have inherited that side of things from his womanizer of a father, partly also why he has decided not to settle down and marry anyone at this point.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Blinkin

Ummm, may want to check some of the other profiles, someone is actually that dead child from the mother who died in childbirth. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Red Stella

I believe the child survived, just the mother died.  :)

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

Okay, I think we now have enough characters to start this game off.

I hope to do so later this week, possibly tomorrow, if not, then likely on Friday.

RedEve

MP, you are approved (though the idea was to send the CS to my PM inbox first, before putting it in here ;) ).

BeckyAnnn

Count me interested if you will have me.  I am going to bookmark this and and read up some more on it tomorrow, as for now I am having trouble keeping my eyes open.

At this point, unless something else comes to mind, I am thinking of a young servant or peasant girl.

RedEve

That is fine BeckyAnn, I plan to start this game some time this weekend, so that gives you a couple of more days to think things over, at the very least. :)

BeckyAnnn

Rose
Background: Not much is known about the red headed peasant girl who was found wandering the rocky shores near Oakfield ten years ago.  She was estimated at the time to be around seven or eight years of age. There were plenty of theories as to who she was and where she came from but no one really knew.  Most assumed that she was simply the lone survivor of some tragedy at sea.  The superstitious ones thought her a witch disguised as a child so that someone would take her in and then she would curse the entire island.  And a small few believed her to be the bastard child of one Bartholomew Van Nuys, and abandoned on the island by her mother to somehow get even with Bartholomew for doing her some wrong.  But it was all speculation.  No one really knew where she came from. Nor her name.

The girl's flaming red hair, blue eyes, pale skin and abundant orange freckles set her apart from anyone else on the island.  They certainly lent no credence to the idea that she was of Van Nuys blood.

The child was non-verbal for two years.  It was assumed she was a mute or that she simply did not speak the language.  But when she did begin to speak those who had taken her in found her to be soft spoken and very intelligent with a gentle heart and spirit.  When asked why she did not speak for so long she just gives a small, almost sad, smile and walks away.

The little ginger was taken in by a farmer and his wife and given the name "Rose" because of her hair.  "Taken in" is perhaps not the right phrase.  What they did was let the child sleep in their barn and work for her room and board.  The farmer, Shane Ellis, and his wife had nine children and counting.  And Rose helped to care for all of them, in addition to cleaning, cooking, working in the fields, and tending the farm animals.  She may not have been a slave but that was the existence she led. 

As time passed and Rose grew the family branched out from just farming and the four boys became fishermen while Mr. and Mrs. Ellis, the girls and rose worked the fields.  The boys were quite successful and the family did very well. Well enough in fact that they became one of just a hand full of families on the island to sell directly to the Van Nuys family.

At the age of fourteen Rose replaced Mrs. Ellis on the annual deliveries to the Van Nuys estate.  Mrs. Ellis had become too frail to make the trip.  The first two trips went well, as far as Rose could tell.  But on the third trip everything changed.  She stood back while Mr. Ellis shook Mr.  Van Nuys hand and then climbed onto the wagon for the journey home.  But as Rose approached he held a hand out. "Stop.  You....stay." 

At the age of sixteen Rose found herself a servant in the Van Nuys household. She was not alone of course.  There were a few others.  As time passed and young girl settled into her new role, she found herself mostly responsible for Mrs. Van Nuys.  It fell to her to tend to the woman's room, making sure it was clean and in proper order, that her clothes were properly cared for and put away, and that the Lady's bath was warm and ready when she wanted it.  Outside of those responsibilities, she helped out elsewhere around the estate as well.