News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mid-to-high level D&D 3.5? (Basically Full)

Started by TheGlyphstone, August 02, 2010, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ff

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 06, 2010, 10:47:44 AM
FF:
No multiclass penalties.  I'm not even sure how that would work in gestalt save for "badly."

Daring Outlaw... does not work that way.  You'd only have 5d6 Sneak Attack; if you have two classes that advance the same feature on each side of the gestalt (as Daring Outlaw makes Swashbuckler and Rogue both advance Sneak Attack), you only take the better progression.  So, you'd only have 5d6 Sneak Attack, and you'd be better off with something closer to Rogue1/Swashbuckler9 on one side and something else on the other.  Fighter's pretty crummy, and I wouldn't suggest more than four levels tops (preferably two) to get some feats; you'd be much better off fanning out than getting more Fighter, particularly since it doesn't improve your skeleton any.

Daring Warrior really isn't worth the feat.

Oops, looks like I over-gestalted....  ;D

How about similar abilities - say, a Ninja-10 Rogue-10 with 5d6 sudden strike and sneak attack respectively, for a total of 10d6 when both apply (flat-footed or helpless foe) - after all, damage would stack between sneak attack on one side and Weapon Specialzation / smites / general damage-adders on the other.

I won't put up a fuss, either way. Come to think of it, I've been wanting to play a more paladinic character for awhile, and haven't had the chance, and since I have a rogue-swashbuckler going in another game, this might lend more variety.

Since I know some people have this seething hatred of paladins or love to hate them sort of quasipolitical theocratic fascists, none need worry about that sort of portrayal. She'll probably have some of nature- or love- goddess flavor.

ff

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on August 06, 2010, 09:15:05 AM
Actually, a character cannot be an Arcane Trickster in gestalt.  Any prestige class that is a combination of two classes is forbidden.

Also, if it is okay the GM, I would like my character to build at least one item for every character.  FF, the highest cost you've accrued is 12,000 for either the belt or the boots...  so, if Balrog, my artificer, constructed one of these items, they would cost... 4,500 + 1800 (for XP) = 6,300 gp.

Why thank you, that is quite kind indeed. Once I have a revamped/new character, perhaps we can concoct a partially joint backstory (i.e. so that they met before the # of past days the crafting would have taken).

TheGlyphstone

Sudden Strike and Sneak Attack could both be progressed, because they are different abilities. It's not any different than a Wizard//Sorcerer getting both arcane spell progessions, for instance.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 06, 2010, 03:04:58 PM
Yeah, but it's never a good idea to build a character counting on the hope that the GM will houserule in your favor.

Do you see a character sheet?  I haven't built anything.  I'm still picking classes.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

ff

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 06, 2010, 03:14:18 PM
Sudden Strike and Sneak Attack could both be progressed, because they are different abilities. It's not any different than a Wizard//Sorcerer getting both arcane spell progessions, for instance.

If I did do a SA based char, then, it would go like this perhaps:

Fighter-4 Ninja-6 on one side, Rogue-6 Swashbuckler-4 on the other, in those orders
Martial Stalker (stack some fighter and ninja features) and Daring Outlaw feats

That way all the feat-induced-stacking is same side of the gestalt [though one could argue that the gestalt rule about two classes' same-ability progressions not stacking don't ixnay the previous build, since it doesn't give a sneak attack progression to the swashbuckler, but rather increases the rogue level for determining SA, with no mention of a character level cap, akin to a monk's belt increasing your monk level for unarmed base damage by 5 beyond your char level].

This character is only 8d6 of SA/SS, since Martial Stalker doesn't progress SS, but at least you have some other stuff.

The levels are taken in the order written, arranged so that of course you get full BAB and d10s (either a fighter or swashbuckler level is on each side), but also high skill points (a rogue or ninja level is always on either side), as is the whole point of gestalt.

Its disadvantages vs the prior build are that 3d6 of the 8d6 is only SS (flat-footed only, not flanking) rather than SA, fewer feats, and fewer swashbuckler abiltiies (including their Improved Flanking which is great with SA). Upsides are more skill points and the oddball ninja abilities.

There might be some redundant abilities - two Evasions? forget if/when ninja gets it - in which case I'd ask about turning that into Improved Evasion, or a rerollable evasion, or a free Lightning Reflexes or something.

Although I suspect other people won't recommend this build, as ninja, swashbuckler, and fighter all seem generally regarded as a bit weak. 

I'm probably still leaning tot he paladinesque character, though (I actually have an old name and mental char concept for her I've just never gotten to use yet), esp. as there is a lot of interest in rogue builds from other players here. But I thought I'd throw this out since this thread/group seems to garner interesting feedback on builds.

TheGlyphstone

It's a valid way to build a character, though you run the risk of pidgeonholing yourself - since basically 100% of your offense relies on repeatedly catching the opponent off-guard, you want a way to guaranteed make sure you can do that. Ninjas can only turn invisible a limited number of times per day, so something like a Ring of Invisibility, or even better a Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (grants you the Dark Creature template, which has Hide In Plain Sight). The latter is 22,000, so definitely get have that as your discount item.

As for the stacking of bonuses...the basic idea is that you can't end up with more of the ability than you could if you were non-gestalt on either half. So Rogue 10 would get 5d6 sneak attack, as would Rogue 4/Swash 6 with Daring Outlaw. Rogue 10//Ninja 10 would get 5d6 sneak and 5d6 sudden strike. But you couldn't, say, take Rogue 10//Thug Fighter 10 and get 10d6 sneak attack, even though both of them progress SA independently.

EDIT: Voof. Crunch for my character is finally done, though I still need to write up backstory and everything, and do my cohort. Eidan Maestri

PhantomPistoleer

My character is also almost done!  Purchasing things for an artificer has got to be the most tedious thing ever.

Aether, your dilemma seems to be the reason why I chose NOT to create a follower of the sublime way.  Working out their maneuvers is difficult if you start at later levels because there is a natural progression to them.  Fortunately, the Warblade works a bit more easily than the other classes.

You basically know four first levels, one second level, one third level, one fourth level and one fifth level maneuver.  You can always unlearn one single maneuver at every second or fourth level (I don't remember which) starting at fourth level (I think), but you must always be careful choosing your new maneuvers because many maneuvers at higher levels require that you have a certain number of maneuvers in a specific sublime way.  You may want to work out a way to acquire more maneuvers with the GM because a warblade can learn new maneuvers like a wizard learns new spells.  However, there are feats that give you extra learned maneuvers, stances and readieds.

FF, we can work out a background, but I'm sure it's not very dissimilar to the sort of background that Lord Balrog has with almost everyone!  Nice guy, leader of progressive city-state, consumed with hobby of building stuff, meets an adventury sort of leader at a diplomatic dinner, discusses enthusiastically matters of equipment, and one thing leads to another.  Boom.  You have a beautiful but functional fullplate armor for a fraction of the cost.  Think nothing of it, of course!  Balrog likes working on stuff.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Katina Tarask

For a Warblade or somesuch, I'd as soon let y'all choose on the tail end.  If you've got a 10th-level Warblade with, say, 13 maneuvers (or whatever it is), then you can just pick 'em from whatever you can take at that point.
Quote from: Ixy on August 06, 2010, 01:13:22 PMOkay, not that this will disappoint anyone, but I'm withdrawing my interest in this one.  Meta-gaming has never been my strong suit and I fear that, in this case as in a few instances in the past, my preferences won't match with the rest of the players'.  Good luck guys :)
That is disappointing.  It's a shame to lose you, but please note, as much as intimidating stuff has been mentioned (the war hulk, the sorts of things it'd take to make Truenamer workable), that's really not coming into play all that much.  If you want a hand and some character/setting talk, we can get in touch over some messenger or another (I have MSN, YIM, AIM, and I can get on IRC) to get something together that can easily keep up and stay simple; keeping the pace next to a single-classed Factotum//Warblade isn't difficult, so long as you're canny about it, and there's gonna be no shortage of RP and politicking.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 06, 2010, 01:16:07 PM@Kat: Since we've probably already passed the cheese point of no return, what are your feelings on flaws and traits?

Also - Human Paragon 1 lets you take any skill and forever treat it as a class skill...anything you'd feel appropriate to replace that with, since all skills are class skill for everyone anyways?
We certainly haven't passed the cheese point of no return.  In fact, the stuff that's actually coming into play is pretty mild.

Anyways, one trait, one flaw, nothing extra for Human Paragon.
Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 06, 2010, 02:40:22 PMSince the character taken as a whole isn't overpowered in relation to other PCs being suggested, I thought you might give me a pass.
Next to what other PCs?  The Rogue/Swash or the Warblade/Factotum or the Psion with incidental secondary abilities?  Those are pretty much bog standard.  Where's the notion that this is becoming a total cheese-fest coming from?
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 06, 2010, 02:43:41 PM
I've never known a GM to allow dual-progs in gestalt...
I've known one, but it was on the condition that all prerequisites be met on one side.
Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 06, 2010, 02:46:33 PM
I can't really argue with that, I haven't had the chance to play many games that didn't die in chargen or become rapidly untenable.  I know it's not a point-based game and so decisions aren't usually made on the basis of comparative abusiveness, but...man, I could just play a Druid/[Something] and it'd be twice as unruly as the PC I'm asking to play.
The character you're asking to play gets full Wizard casting.  That's raw power on the same order as the Druid.  Full Psion manifesting is massive unto itself (even if more sane than the monster that is the Wizard).
Quote from: ff on August 06, 2010, 03:09:33 PMHow about similar abilities - say, a Ninja-10 Rogue-10 with 5d6 sudden strike and sneak attack respectively, for a total of 10d6 when both apply (flat-footed or helpless foe) - after all, damage would stack between sneak attack on one side and Weapon Specialzation / smites / general damage-adders on the other.

I won't put up a fuss, either way. Come to think of it, I've been wanting to play a more paladinic character for awhile, and haven't had the chance, and since I have a rogue-swashbuckler going in another game, this might lend more variety.

Since I know some people have this seething hatred of paladins or love to hate them sort of quasipolitical theocratic fascists, none need worry about that sort of portrayal. She'll probably have some of nature- or love- goddess flavor.
Technically, yes, Rogue//Ninja would work.

However, regarding a paladin... 1) This world doesn't actually have gods.  You may want to go back to the setting information, because this cosmology is a little different.  (Though you could be devoted to some manner of nymph or a saint of nature or love or something.)  2) It's looking like we have some morally dubious characters (at best) floating around, making the classical lawful/good knight in shining armor may be a problem.  Besides, characters who use the mystical demon portal to oppress their enemies tend to be more interesting than ones who seal it for great justice.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 06, 2010, 08:59:46 PM
  The Rogue/Swash or the Warblade/Factotum or the Psion with incidental secondary abilities?  Those are pretty much bog standard.  Where's the notion that this is becoming a total cheese-fest coming from?I've known one, but it was on the condition that all prerequisites be met on one side.The character you're asking to play gets full Wizard casting.  That's raw power on the same order as the Druid.  Full Psion manifesting is massive unto itself (even if more sane than the monster that is the Wizard).Technically, yes, Rogue//Ninja would work.

Ahh, you're probably right.  I always get nervous and worry too much that my characters are underpowered as soon as I see people talking about the game system at a level that's over my head.  I've...had some bad experiences in this regard.  I can build a completely reasonable PC without doing anything unusual, and the review of what's actually being played (instead of some of the crazier things I've seen discussed) is probably enough to allay my concerns.  I'm not sure yet what I'll end up playing (other than that wizard or psion will be one side of the track) but I'm sure I can come up with something that will work just fine.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

ff

Here's my paladiness's stat block. I will do mythweavers, as requested, soon (I'm familiar with it, it's just quicker to edit plaintext while I'm still mulling particular feats and such), and backstory information as well, once I've read up more on the custom setting (from the 'game ad' etc.) I just saw Katina's 'no gods' thing after doing most of it (I did read the 'game ad' but not carefully enough it seems), and adjusted the bio slightly, but it actually dovetails well, I've always LOVED the idea of a nature-themed paladin so this could work swimmingly.

If people really don't like paladins, perhaps the CG 'paladin of freedom' variant would be more to their liking? The actual ability substitutions are rather simple (aura works on compulsion effects instead of fear; some spell list changes).

I don't have anything particular in mind with regards to guilds, organizations, cohorts, followers, etc., but since it sounds like this game may be themed that way, and paladins have the high Charisma, I suppose I'll take Leadership with her, unless I later realize there's some other feat I really want - she could always try to 'work for' one of the other chars' organizations, as I'm not sure about managing a bunch of followers anyway. Her cohort may be a pegasus cleric a/o paladin (are cohorts gestalt?).

Also, would cohort and followers' gear, dwellings, operating costs, etc., come out of the standard PC wealth? I've left her gear a bit under right now, in case.

Angelica Vangelica Crystalis
Alignment: Lawful Good

Brief bio: Child of a druidic grove revering nature in all its many forms, quite a few of those reflected in the diverse racial and monstrous makeup of the goodly grove, the arching mission of Angelica and her prior adventuring allies has been the defense of the natural realm and the environs of good dragons' lairs, against the depredations of both evil dragons, and overly expansive and destruction tyrannies of humankind and other races.

For a time, Angelica and her other allies had a somewhat trepidatious alliance with treants (the former's obvious love of slashing weapons didn't seem to help), defending it against encroaching demon-backed and torch-toting humanoid hordes. Eventually, in quieter and more peaceful days after, the alliance became more genuine. Angelica took up some measure of study of the ways and powers of the entities of the natural world, even adopting by mysterious rites some of the very essence of nature.

Recently, she finds herself in a wasteland between the kingdoms, in a place where she or those like her seem to've failed so far at stewardship of the lands, as hordes roam wild in the wastes and purportedly even fiends pour from portals.

Stat block:
human half-dragon woodling half-celestial / fighter-4 paladin-6
Medium Outsider (native)
Hit Dice: 10d12+50 (170 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 33 (+3 Dex, +6 armor, +2 shield, +12 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19
Attack: claw +23 (1d4+14) or comp longbow +14 (1d8+9/x3) or throwing axe +21 (1d4+11)
Full Attack: claws +23/+23/+18 (1d4+14) and bite +22 (1d6+7) and slam +22 (1d6+7) or comp longbow +14/+9 (1d8+9/x3) or throwing axe +21 (1d4+11)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: breath weapon, lay on hands (30 hp/day), smite evil, spell-like abilities, spells, turn undead 8/day
Special Qualities: aura of courage, aura of good ,damage reduction 10/magic and 5/slashing, darkvision, daylight, detect evil, divine grace, immunities (Charisma damage/drain, disease, extra damage from crits, fire, mind-affecting, paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep, stunning), low-light vision, resistances (acid 10 cold 10 elec 10), spell resistance 25
Saves: Fort +16, Reflex +11, Will +9
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 20 [from 36 point buy 14 14 14 14 14 14]
Skills: Bluff 18, Diplomacy 20, Disguise 7, Gather Information 18, Hide +3 (+7 aboveground natural), Listen 17, Move Silently +3 (+7 aboveground natural), Ride 16, Sense Motive 17, Sleight of Hand 5, Spot 17
(Synergies: +2 diplomacy, disguise, gather info, sleight of hand from bluff; +2 diplomacy from sense motive)
Feats: Brutal Throw, Divine Might, Improved Buckler Defense, Improved Multiattack, Leadership*, Melee Weapon Mastery (slashing), Multiattack, Power Attack, Rapidstrike, Weapon Focus (claw), Weapon Specialization (claw)
Flaws: Weak Fortitude (-3 Fort), Weak Will (-3 Will)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic, Elven, Sylvan

Breath Weapon (Su): 1/day - 30' cone, 6d8 fire damage, reflex DC 20 for half.
Daylight (Su): at will, as the spell.
Divine Might (Su): as a free action, expend a turn undead attempt to add Charisma bonus to damage attacks for a number of rounds equal to Charisma bonus (minimum 1).
Heroism (Sp): 1/week, as the spell, caster level 6th.
Smite Evil (Su): 1/day: +0 attack, +10 damage; 2/day: +5 attack, +6 damage.
Spell-like abilities (Sp): 3/day - protection from evil, speak with plants; 1/day - aid, bless, cure serious wounds, detect evil, dispel evil, entangle, holy smite, neutralize poison, remove disease, summon nature's ally II and IV. Caster level equals character level; save DCs are Charisma-based.
Spells: as a 6th level paladin, per day 2.
Typical spells prepared: 1st - divine favor, lesser restoration.
Paladin substitution levels (Ruby Rose Knight): 3rd - immunity to Charisma damage/drain instead of disease; 6th - heroism instead of remove disease.

Possessions:
comp. longbow +1 (Str rating +9) (3300 gp)
shield: +1 darkwood buckler (1,215 gp)
Armor: mithral chain shirt +2 (5100 gp)
belt: Belt of Battle: +2 competence bonus to Initiative as a continuous effect. Also has three charges, renewed each day at dawn, which may be used to grant extra actions (1 charge for a move action, 2 for a standard action, and 3 for a full round action). (12,000 gp; from MIC)
gauntlets: Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows: add Charisma modifier as fire damage to melee attacks. (12,000 gp; D#314))
boots: boots of speed (12,000 gp)
handy haversack (2,000 gp)
mw cold iron greatsword longsword and kukri, 40 javelins, quiver with 400 cold iron arrows and 40 silver arrows, 100 throwing axes, 10 light hammers, 2 saps, 100 cold iron shuriken, grappling hook and 100' of silk rope, thin bedroll and rain tarp, three tendays of rations, flint and tinder, 3 sunrods, two scout's outfits, one silk aristocratic gown, map of the known world, canteen, 1000 gp

Euzephyrus
Pegaus Special Mount
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+2d8+30 (86 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 70 ft. (12 squares), fly 140 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +8 natural, +6 armor), touch 13, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+15
Attack: Hoof +10 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +10 melee (1d6+6) and bite +5 melee (1d3+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, spell-like abilities, empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Diplomacy +5, Intimidate +12, Listen +16, Sense Motive +12, Spot +16
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Manuverability x2
Treasure:
exotic military saddle
barding armor (as chain shirt) +2 (4350 gp)
boots of striding (+10' movement) (2500 gp)
amulet of natural armor +1 (2000 gp)
550 gp (kept by Angelica)
Alignment: Lawful good
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—detect good and detect evil within a 60-foot radius. Caster level 5th.
Skills; Pegasi have a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Sources: Complete Adventurer - Brutal Throw, Improved Buckler Defense; Draconomicon - Improved Multiattack, Multiattack, Rapidstrike; Dragon Mag. #314 - Gauntlet of Heartfelt Blows; Magic Item Compedium - Belt of Battle; PHBII - Melee Weapon Mastery

TheGlyphstone

Can I take the Extra Followers feat from Heroes of Battle, substituting my Thrallherd class feature for the Leadership feat prerequisite?
My flaw is Grudge Keeper, unless there's a problem with it - one of my favorite flaws, and very much appropriate for this character.
Cohort: Alyssa Maestri

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 06, 2010, 09:06:29 PM
Ahh, you're probably right.  I always get nervous and worry too much that my characters are underpowered as soon as I see people talking about the game system at a level that's over my head.  I've...had some bad experiences in this regard.  I can build a completely reasonable PC without doing anything unusual, and the review of what's actually being played (instead of some of the crazier things I've seen discussed) is probably enough to allay my concerns.  I'm not sure yet what I'll end up playing (other than that wizard or psion will be one side of the track) but I'm sure I can come up with something that will work just fine.

Don't worry about people making powerful characters.  Nothing you will be able to do will match Glyph's powers of character creation.  Just be thankful Katina isn't making any characters because she is really, really, really good at it.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Why me? ;D I'm only optimizing at about 60-70% capacity right now - this isn't a PvP arena, so I can relax a little.

Anyways, time for bed. I still need to stat my psicrystal (Feat Leech is soooo nice), and think about my Stronghold. the SBG is an awesome book, I actually brought my physical copy with me to school because it's so much fun.

PhantomPistoleer

Oh crud.  We have to make the cohort as well!?  Noooooo.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Well, if you're leaving it at home, you don't. I statted mine because she's my bodyguard/wife, and will be accompanying me on adventures.

Incidentally, Gloryborn is a fantastic armor template (DMGII) - it actually makes chainmail/plate bikinis not a suicidal idea. :)

PhantomPistoleer

Mine accompanies me I guess.  I think I'm going to go with a brilliant but absent minded feudal lord that is both loved and understood to be a little bit out of his league when it comes to politicking by his people.  The big problem when it comes to Lord Balrog is that he needs to find a competent wife who is of royal blood that takes over the duties of ruling, while Balrog sits at his drawing room OPTIMIZING.  ^_^

My cohort would be a good choice for a wife if she were only of royal blood.  She will instead be my character's chief administrator, so she'll probably just be an expert/diplomat.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Amusingly, my cohort is probably the lynchpin of my character concept....she's my character's wife, bodyguard, and chief thrall. He's deeply in love with her, despite being a brutal arrogant asshole towards pretty much everyone who's inferior to him (that is, everyone period), but is extremely insecure over the possibility that her apparent love for him in return might only be a byproduct of their psychic link. Cue angst, and his psicrystal's occasional acidic comment doesn't help either.

ff

Aether

Do we all have cohorts?  I thought that was merely an aspect of the thrallherd class you took Glyph...

I am on a download frenzy to make sure i get all my stuff in place for this wonderful character...  There is so much I have forgotten, its been so long.

TheGlyphstone

We all got the Leadership feat for free, which gives a cohort and followers. I've got the Thrallherd class, which replaces Leadership with a Thrall and Believers.

Incidentally...I just found the passage in SBG that says having free, unpaid labor (see also: devoted thralls) is a 30% discount on stronghold construction. Neato.

Good thing, too, because I have 100+ servants to house, and at 400gp/6 beds, I'd have my entire stronghold be nothing but servant quarters. Maybe I'll have some of my minions live in the nearby city instead...

ulthakptah

Ok this is what I have so far http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=230343
PhantomPistoleer If your still making an item for every PC I would like a Greater Chasuble of fell power it costs 9000 gold + 720xp so that's 12600 total

Edit:
It's in Magic Item Compendium

Katina Tarask

Quote from: ff on August 06, 2010, 09:26:31 PMI don't have anything particular in mind with regards to guilds, organizations, cohorts, followers, etc., but since it sounds like this game may be themed that way, and paladins have the high Charisma, I suppose I'll take Leadership with her, unless I later realize there's some other feat I really want - she could always try to 'work for' one of the other chars' organizations, as I'm not sure about managing a bunch of followers anyway. Her cohort may be a pegasus cleric a/o paladin (are cohorts gestalt?).

Also, would cohort and followers' gear, dwellings, operating costs, etc., come out of the standard PC wealth? I've left her gear a bit under right now, in case.
You get Leadership for free anyways.

Cohorts are not gestalt, which I should have clarified for Glyph.

Cohorts that you actually stat out and take with you get NPC wealth.  Followers really don't need to be statted out any time soon, but they'll get NPC wealth if their stats ever become relevant.

Regarding your character, she's certainly... interesting.  Something about her family would be relevant (when a dragon loves a tree very much...), particularly you're using the combination of templates to represent some custom being unto itself.

Also, the line between good and evil is not so clear.  It's not a case where shiny dragons are good and non-shiny dragons are evil.  Among, say, red dragons, you can have good, bad, bored, devoted, apathetic, curious, and what have you.  "Slaughter the greenskins because they're evil" doesn't hold here, and even some demons might ultimately be at least stable enough to be socially beneficial.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 06, 2010, 10:53:33 PM
Can I take the Extra Followers feat from Heroes of Battle, substituting my Thrallherd class feature for the Leadership feat prerequisite?
My flaw is Grudge Keeper, unless there's a problem with it - one of my favorite flaws, and very much appropriate for this character.
Cohort: Alyssa Maestri
Yes, go for it, and this is probably a bad time to mention cohorts won't be gestalt.
Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on August 07, 2010, 12:29:42 AM
Mine accompanies me I guess.  I think I'm going to go with a brilliant but absent minded feudal lord that is both loved and understood to be a little bit out of his league when it comes to politicking by his people.  The big problem when it comes to Lord Balrog is that he needs to find a competent wife who is of royal blood that takes over the duties of ruling, while Balrog sits at his drawing room OPTIMIZING.  ^_^
Royal blood is exceedingly rare and not often a huge deal.  Of the six nations, two are essentially strength-based meritocracies, one's an oligarchy, one's a guild system with a high bureaucrat.  Of the remaining two, one has an imperial line that's extremely closely guarded to the point where they're hardly ever seen publicly (and it's a truly perfect line of succession, first-born to first-born without falter from the start of the empire by divine mandate, making imperial blood other than the first-born pretty useless) and the other does have royals, but they have enough cousins that at least half the nobility can trace themselves back to the royal line if they reach far enough.
Quote from: Aether on August 07, 2010, 12:45:14 AM
Do we all have cohorts?  I thought that was merely an aspect of the thrallherd class you took Glyph...
Everyone gets Leadership for free, which means a cohort.  However, that cohort's meant to be administrative, holding down the fort while you go about and do interesting things (you don't even have to stat yours up if you don't want to, but the character of your cohort is important).  Glyph gets to tote his wife around as a benefit of Thrallherd, and FF can make her cohort as a Paladin mount as part of that feature.

Aether

when oh when did D&D get so frackin complicated...

Okay, so, do you have to be using a favored weapon of a given maneuvering grp to use a maneuver from that grp?  Or can I use any weapon with the maneuvering grps I am favored to as a warblade?

TheGlyphstone

...Yes...yes it is. Ballsnuggets. I'll just strip the Crusader part off, Psychic Warriors are decent enough on their own. Though, on the other hand, I now have more HP than my supposed 'guard' does. :-\

Incidentally, I just had an idea - our Landlord wealth is used to buy a stronghold, but as mentioned, I'm finding that I have way more servants than I need as staff, and I do need a place to put them and do something with them. Can I take the Income Source price modifier (I'll figure out what it is later), then buy a second "stronghold" in the nearby city that consists of a Shop and some rooms for the staff to live in?

@Aether: No, you can use a maneuver with any weapon. Certain class features and feats only work with favored weapons though.

Katina Tarask

Glyph: Sure.
Quote from: Aether on August 07, 2010, 01:14:21 AM
when oh when did D&D get so frackin complicated...

Okay, so, do you have to be using a favored weapon of a given maneuvering grp to use a maneuver from that grp?  Or can I use any weapon with the maneuvering grps I am favored to as a warblade?
Any weapon.  You can use a Shadow Hand maneuver with a chair leg if you want.

The favored weapons only apply to specific feats/abilities that explicitly say so.  (For example, a first-level Swordsage gets Weapon Focus for a single discipline's array of weapons.)