It's time for a third gender option.

Started by Vekseid, May 29, 2009, 08:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

I know it was a joke; gave me an actual out loud chuckle, in fact. :D
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Valerian

Peer isn't a specific rank like lord or duchess; it refers to peers of the realm, as Caeli mentioned -- basically anyone born to a titled family.  It's used more in England, but it is about as gender-neutral as one can get.

Liege is not, technically, a rank either, but it does fit very well with the general scheme of things.  :)

Champion is perhaps the best option so far... though yeah, Dame doesn't sound very warlike, either.  Heh.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Trieste

It depends on how you've been thinking of Dame most of your life... Dames, to me, are formidable ladies that may not necessarily carry a sword, but they are ladies with whom you do not want to mess.

Vekseid

Quote from: Xillen on May 29, 2009, 11:40:38 AM
Dame doesn't strike me as a warrior-type person, which made me think Noble would very well fit on the Knight/Dame level.

If you want the warrior-type person, Champion sounds best to me out of the mentioned options. What about Hero?

Relax, the IRC thingy was just a joke :P Still, I wonder how many people have actually heard of Peer as a social rank? I sure haven't, and it sounds really odd to me.

Dame is the term for a female knight. I have no worries about using obscure references >_>

Caeli

I think warrior was mentioned above? That could work well, if you want something more formidable than "peer".
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Mithlomwen

Found this...not sure if it can be applied in any way.

Baronetcies

Like knights, baronets are styled 'Sir', and their wives 'Lady', but, unlike a knighthood, this is a heritable honour. The suffix 'Baronet', usually abbreviated to 'Bt', is also added to the name.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

jilorbb

I think Liege is the best so far.

Also - has anyone suggested Regent yet?

As far as the Knight/Dame aspect -
Champion
Defender
Guardian
Sentinel

But I've just used a thesaurus for these and they're more than one syllable.

I have a stake in this so I really do hope that it comes to be. And I thank you for considering it.

Avi

Perhaps Deity for someone who gets high enough in rank to be the same as a god/goddess?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vekseid

Quote from: jilorbb on May 29, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
I think Liege is the best so far.

Also - has anyone suggested Regent yet?

As far as the Knight/Dame aspect -
Champion
Defender
Guardian
Sentinel

But I've just used a thesaurus for these and they're more than one syllable.

I have a stake in this so I really do hope that it comes to be. And I thank you for considering it.

It's been one of those things we've been mulling over for a few years, the primary reason why not is because the appropriate forum would have been rather quiet, the secondary being most intersexed, third sex and transgender types favor a gender, so didn't have to worry about the lack.

Xillen

Quote from: Vekseid on May 29, 2009, 05:34:28 PMthe primary reason why not is because the appropriate forum would have been rather quiet,

But they're going to get their own "Liege only" and "On and Offs - Lieges" boards, right?

* Xillen still wonders if Vek is planning on adding a Gender option. Shouldn't be too hard to hack into the board.

The Golden Touch

Some potential names:
Hero
Heroine
Patron
Partisan

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Fragile Dreams

Here are some thoughts i had after some time.(Yeah, i do that some times. :D )

Satyr -> Priest
Siren -> Priestess
Knight -> Protector
Dame -> Sentinel
Lord -> Bacchus
Lady -> Bacchae

I know that Bacchae brings of the Maenades, which were crazy priestesses of Dionysus, but i think it fits nice in the forum as word.
Also another idea was the Sirens/Satyrs to be merged as Arch-angels.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Boy, now I just have to decide if I feel strongly enough to switch to the third option... heh.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on May 29, 2009, 08:20:10 PM
Satyr -> Priest
Siren -> Priestess

Also another idea was the Sirens/Satyrs to be merged as Arch-angels.

Can't say I'd care much for these myself.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Bliss on May 29, 2009, 10:47:57 AM
AUGH, I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I'm in the SCA, and there's a level for people who have made a certain achievement, be they male or female, called LAUREL! What think you, kind gentles? ;)

ie...

Knight = Chivalry
Laurel = Arts
Pelican = Service

;-)

The problem would be, for those of us in the SCA, we'd be looking for belts and GoAs.... ;-)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nadir

I personally prefer Laird for the Lord/Lady option.

Transgirlenstein

Sorry if I'm a bit late into this but I have only one question, if someone identifies as other (that is gender queen, transgender and so on and so forth), how does one tell what gender they wish to identify is?

For example, If I am tagged as other..how do you know what I want to be referred to as?  He, she or it? 
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Vekseid

You set that in your profile already, next to 'Gender' there : )

Oniya

I believe this would be for the tag, and then the gender icon below would be used for determining pronouns?  (Or people could - I don't know - ask? Yay, communication!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Transgirlenstein

Oh okay! ^^

Heh, my comment and complaint is withdrawn then.

<3

Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Trieste

* Trieste has been known to ask what pronoun to use when she's confused, and has never had anyone get offended about it. :)

Cecilia

I like the "lord, lady, laurel"   "knight, dame, patron". "satyr, siren, sidhe". "god, goddess, deity" scheme... It adds what's been missing without changing everything all around.   

The Golden Touch

-Huggles Cecilia-

I like those options as well.  Though, patron does not have the 'warrior' quality... It does mean they help support the site though.  But I like Laurel, Patron, Sidhe, and Deity. ^ ^

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences