What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

In a photo he took posing with his gun shortly before he made his bid for the news, the guy looks completely bland, even bored. Some of those killers have a knack for looking just that way, like a character out of the Simpsons or something.  :-(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Polish priest working at the Vatican publicly admits to being gay and having a partner:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/polish-priest-krysztof-charamsa-comes-out-as-gay-is-sacked-by-vatican-a6678211.html

He claims that his decision for coming out is to urge the Church to re-evaluate its attitude toward homosexuals, especially those who are also Catholic.

Lustful Bride

So according to the LA times women becoming nuns is a 'Radical choice'.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/women-making-radical-choice-of-becoming-nuns/ar-AAeSkpd?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=HPCDHP

*facepalm* really? That is considered Radical by some? *sigh*

*Looks down at the comments and loses faith in humanity yet again*....sometimes I think we deserve this hellish world we live on...

Beorning

Really? Personally, I don't think it's a completely inappropriate word. In today's world, becoming a nun is something most women probably don't consider...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on October 04, 2015, 11:24:24 AM
Really? Personally, I don't think it's a completely inappropriate word. In today's world, becoming a nun is something most women probably don't consider...

I think its a poor choice of words. Saying becoming a nun is "radical' is like saying that choosing to be a Vegan is 'radical'. Its a personal choice based upon your own morals and understandings that doesn't hurt anyone and you can leave if you want to.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 04, 2015, 12:45:49 PM
I think its a poor choice of words. Saying becoming a nun is "radical' is like saying that choosing to be a Vegan is 'radical'. Its a personal choice based upon your own morals and understandings that doesn't hurt anyone and you can leave if you want to.

And yet at the same time, it is such a tremendous variance from the typical 1st-world woman's lifestyle today that it fits the original dictionary definition of 'radical' - "relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough" as opposed to a synonym for 'extremist' that it has become today.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 04, 2015, 01:07:11 PM
And yet at the same time, it is such a tremendous variance from the typical 1st-world woman's lifestyle today that it fits the original dictionary definition of 'radical' - "relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough" as opposed to a synonym for 'extremist' that it has become today.

Well I guess you have a point here. But I still feel it was a poor choice to put in the article, they make it sound almost like its a bad thing.

I would rather see more women being nuns or other productive things than seeing them ending up on the streets.

Lustful Bride

Woman discovers that a scratching noise inside of her ear....was actually a spider nesting inside of her......*screaming ensues*

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scratching-noise-in-womans-ear-turns-out-to-be-a-spider/ar-AAf38b5?li=AA51YJ&ocid=HPCDHP

As if spiders weren't scary enough.

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 04, 2015, 01:07:11 PM

Exactly.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 04, 2015, 01:33:01 PM
Woman discovers that a scratching noise inside of her ear....was actually a spider nesting inside of her......*screaming ensues*

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scratching-noise-in-womans-ear-turns-out-to-be-a-spider/ar-AAf38b5?li=AA51YJ&ocid=HPCDHP

As if spiders weren't scary enough.

It was *spinning a web* in there???  :o

BTW. The mention of the spider "resisting violently" against being removed brings all kinds of horror movie images...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on October 04, 2015, 01:57:47 PM
It was *spinning a web* in there???  :o

BTW. The mention of the spider "resisting violently" against being removed brings all kinds of horror movie images...

gaggedLouise

OMG, the thought of having one's eardrum pierced by a spider is...sheesh!  ???

Beorning

... if you're disturbed by this, you guys really shouldn't watch The Mist. Just saying...

Zakharra

gaggedLouise

Crime writer Henning Mankell, the creator of inspector Kurt Wallander, who really put the city of Ystad and the region around it on the literary map (also happens to be my home area) dies aged sixty-seven. He had been struggling with cancer for some time but remained active as a writer. I saw an interview with him on the tv in August and he looked and sounded in good shape at the time.

Mankell was more than an inspired crime writer, he began as a novelist writing about the lives of common people and about conflicts in dangerous lines of work like mining and at sea (he returned to non-crime storylines in the new century) and some of this fed into the universe of Kurt Wallander; the string of crime novels also touches on social and ethnic conflicts, and the pace of change in society after the end of the cold war. For many years he lived part-time in Africa, working with a theatre in Maputo, Mocambique and getting involved with the local cultural scene and with efforts to heal the wounds left by apartheid and colonialism. The region had been on the frontline of the war between white South Africa and the ANC for many years.

Henning Mankell was always interested in issues of migration and exile and a vivid, focused figure of public debate. One of the first white writers to bring black Africans living in Sweden into his books - if he had been granted a couple more years I'm fairly sure he would have been writing about and discussing the current migrant and refugee crisis and the political and ethical issues around it, both in fiction and as a journalist and essayist. He will be missed by many millions in and outside of Scandinavia. R I P Henning.

Oniya

Aw, I remember watching Wallander on Mystery! on PBS.  Very sad news.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Indeed. I hope no one attempts to turn Wallander into a franchise with new books and stories with just a faint connection to the real guy - the dozen or so books and numerous tv adaptations of those form a well-rounded whole. Besides the man and his family and fellow cops actually aged in life over the course of the series, they're rooted in the 1990s and the years just after. Sequel stories would look kind of unauthentic.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 05, 2015, 10:34:24 AM
Indeed. I hope no one attempts to turn Wallander into a franchise with new books and stories with just a faint connection to the real guy - the dozen or so books and numerous tv adaptations of those form a well-rounded whole. Besides the man and his family and fellow cops actually aged in life over the course of the series, they're rooted in the 1990s and the years just after. Sequel stories would look kind of unauthentic.

Well, particularly with the way the last story was headed.  BBC is planning on making the last three books into movies (like they did the earlier ones), and ending it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 05, 2015, 10:37:23 AM
Well, particularly with the way the last story was headed.  BBC is planning on making the last three books into movies (like they did the earlier ones), and ending it.

Yeah, The Troubled Man would have made it hard to continue, and this would have been a side purpose with it, I guess. Mankell did produce a kind of prequel book before that, The Pyramid, a set of short stories and a novella which are all set earlier in his life as a cop, leading up to 1990 where the series proper started, but that was a one-off thing (it's a good book though). He said in interviews that some of it was inspired by his musing over the early native tv serializations and the suggestive portrayal of Wallander by actor Rolf Lassgård, dedicatee of the book, "who has pointed out to me many things about Wallander that I never suspected".

Caehlim

My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Lustful Bride

Pilot Dies in mid flight suddenly and the co pilot is forced to take control and try to land the plane safely..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co-pilot-lands-american-airlines-plane-after-pilot-dies-during-flight/ar-AAf81Bp?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=HPCDHP

This is the kind of stuff someone who is terrified of flying would dream up as a nightmare scenario.  :o

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 06, 2015, 08:48:18 AM
Pilot Dies in mid flight suddenly and the co pilot is forced to take control and try to land the plane safely..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co-pilot-lands-american-airlines-plane-after-pilot-dies-during-flight/ar-AAf81Bp?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=HPCDHP

This is the kind of stuff someone who is terrified of flying would dream up as a nightmare scenario.  :o

Isn't that essentially the plot of 'Airplane' with Leslie Nielsen?  (although I think the crew was simply unconscious from bad fish - it was a comedy movie after all.)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Oniya on October 06, 2015, 12:32:08 PM
Isn't that essentially the plot of 'Airplane' with Leslie Nielsen?  (although I think the crew was simply unconscious from bad fish - it was a comedy movie after all.)
It's somewhat similar to the movie plot, only that in the movie both pilot and co-pilot are incapacitated. But "Airplane!" itself was a parody of an earlier movie that took the plot serious: "Zero Hour!". (And yes, apparently the exclamation mark is part of both titles.)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

gaggedLouise

Eleven year old boy in Tennessee shoots an eight-year old girl dead with his father's heavy gun; the girl was living in the neighbourhood (while the boy was settled in a camper van or the like with his dad) and had said she wasn't going to show him the new puppies of her pet dog. Then things got completely out of hand. Terrible.  :'(

CNN has interviewed a woman who is running a rescue lifeline to help Yazidi women enslaved by ISIS to escape. Ameena, an Iraqi ex-parliamentarian, has been working since last year with her husband to help engineer escapes out of deep within ISIS territory. These are the women and girls who were cornered on a sacred mountain last year, some of them were flown out but many were captured and sold into slavery. CNN are airing a longer feature about them this week it seems - I'll have to catch that one. A very brave woman and couple.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 06, 2015, 03:38:21 PM
Eleven year old boy in Tennessee shoots an eight-year old girl dead with his father's heavy gun; the girl was living in the neighbourhood (while the boy was settled in a camper van or the like with his dad) and had said she wasn't going to show him the new puppies of her pet dog. Then things got completely out of hand. Terrible.  :'(

CNN has interviewed a woman who is running a rescue lifeline to help Yazidi women enslaved by ISIS to escape. Ameena, an Iraqi ex-parliamentarian, has been working since last year with her husband to help engineer escapes out of deep within ISIS territory. These are the women and girls who were cornered on a sacred mountain last year, some of them were flown out but many were captured and sold into slavery. CNN are airing a longer feature about them this week it seems - I'll have to catch that one. A very brave woman and couple.

I almost want to see if that boy is a sociopath. But then again..that would also be terrifying. I cant fathom him thinking this was the proper course of action unless something was wrong. You jump from "No you cant see my puppies" to murder. Theres no logic in it.

As for miss Ameena. That takes immense courage. I wish more was being done :(

Caehlim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 06, 2015, 03:56:24 PMI almost want to see if that boy is a sociopath. But then again..that would also be terrifying. I cant fathom him thinking this was the proper course of action unless something was wrong. You jump from "No you cant see my puppies" to murder. Theres no logic in it.

Unfortunately it's sadly true that many people use violence when they don't get what they want. Even when the violence still won't get them what they want, they use it to 'make someone pay' or somesuch nonsense.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.