Vista Users

Started by Mnemaxa, February 10, 2009, 08:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemaxa

The newest update from microsoft has an error which causes Windows Explorer to shut down when you change any filename.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Trieste

I have Vista on my laptop, but I use Firefox. Is it affected as well?

Mnemaxa

It doesn't affect the browsers. It affects windows explorer - the computer functions that let you poke about in the files and such.  It only happens when you rename a file; I'm not sure exactly which of the updates did it either.

It's only a momentary shutdown, but that means you have to open up your file windows all over again.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Trieste

Mmh. I hate Explorer. I could retrieve the large majority of my files with just a command-line ... thing ... it's just so annoying.

*grumble mutter* Thanks for the heads up. Will keep it in mind (and probably won't install the update if it's waiting for me next time I fire up the laptop).

Mnemaxa

If it helps even one person then it is worth the post.

Oniya

Have notified the rest of the house (is running XP for a reason)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

I run XP on the desktop ... Vista came on the laptop. I love how Vista looks - XP looks clunky and dull next to shiny, sexy Vista... I don't like how it hides things on you, though. There needs to be a little checkbox under properties that you can check: "Disable idiotproofing and let me make my own dumb mistakes" ... and click apply.

Oniya

How about the 'Yes, dammit, I really want to run that!' checkbox?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Trieste on February 10, 2009, 09:42:07 PM
I run XP on the desktop ... Vista came on the laptop. I love how Vista looks - XP looks clunky and dull next to shiny, sexy Vista... I don't like how it hides things on you, though. There needs to be a little checkbox under properties that you can check: "Disable idiotproofing and let me make my own dumb mistakes" ... and click apply.

There is - it's cleverly hidden under Personalization and then hidden again in the Security Center.

Scott

Quote from: Oniya on February 10, 2009, 10:03:55 PM
How about the 'Yes, dammit, I really want to run that!' checkbox?

lol, between that and AVG's questions I usually end up saying yes 2 or three times. 

Mnemaxa

I use AVG and Spybot search and destroy, but don't use the Windows Defender and the 'Stupidpersonautodefense' thing.  I don't mind AVG askign me questions, or Spybot's Teatimer askign me stuff, because I know they're working. :P

Greenthorn

*sighs*

-I- have not had this happen and I recently renamed a bunch of files in a game I play *looks around innocently*.  I use defender.  I use windows firewall.  I update regularly.

*sighs more*

Mnemaxa

It stopped happening after I removed the updates, so it couldn't have been anything other than the updates; on the other hand, who knows.....sometimes individual machines get quirky. Could be just mine.

Trieste

Quote from: Mnemaxa on February 11, 2009, 12:06:58 AM
There is - it's cleverly hidden under Personalization and then hidden again in the Security Center.

I must find this checkbox and destroy check it.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Mnemaxa on February 11, 2009, 05:39:46 AM
It stopped happening after I removed the updates, so it couldn't have been anything other than the updates; on the other hand, who knows.....sometimes individual machines get quirky. Could be just mine.

Honestly...it probably is your own machine...and your post should have mentioned that it has happened only on your machine *cringes*.  I just had a huge debate on the phone last night with someone about Vista (he tried Vista on someone else's computer and it was laggy) and it being buggy.  *sighs*  I have yet to have -any- bugs, issues, problems, bitches, moans, complaints.  Not that Vista is perfect, because Windows in general is not, but announcements like yours and my friend running around telling people it's buggy cause unneccesary hysteria  *laughs*

Mnemaxa

My apologies.  I'll bear that in mind next time.  *smiles wryly*

Trieste

*peer* Am I the only person in the world who uses Vista, likes Vista, and does not feel the need to vehemently crush any dissent regarding Vista? :P

You will be assimilated! Use gadgets! YOU WILL LEARN TO LOVE THE STARTUP CHIME.

Resistance is futile.

Jag

I actually like Vista. I hated it at first because I worked at a Dell Call Center, but after they finally decided to train us on it and let us play with it...I want it. ^^

I still like XP, but I love some of the things about Vista. Once I knew that little search bar was in the start up button, I fell in love with it. No more having to have customers search in vain to find things because they are too stupid to listen to my directions. Just type in the name and click! Wonderful.

It's so pretty too. I love the bubble screen saver too.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Scott

Quote from: Trieste on February 11, 2009, 09:54:56 AM
*peer* Am I the only person in the world who uses Vista, likes Vista, and does not feel the need to vehemently crush any dissent regarding Vista? :P

You will be assimilated! Use gadgets! YOU WILL LEARN TO LOVE THE STARTUP CHIME.

Resistance is futile.

No, not at all.. I love vista and havn't had a problem with it. I have the paid version of AVG and use ccleaner and between the two they seem to keep it speedy and virus/adware/cookie/popup/registry error/ ect... free.

ShrowdedPoet

I have Vista on my laptop and a while back ago one of the updates made my web browsers (all of them) unusable. . .I had to wipe all the way back to new. . .*sighs*
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Xillen

I've put Vista back to Win98 look the moment I got my hands on them. There's still a lot of stuff I don't like about it, like not being able to log into the nick Administrator, or being able to download files to C:\ root.

If I didn't need Vista for hardware support, I would so not be running it. Yes, there's stuff on the core that's better than earlier versions of windows, but seriously, it's MY computer, not my OS's, and I hate the amount of control the OS takes and forbids me to take myself.

As for the user control, the moment you pop that, you'll have to live with that red shield at the bottom right of your screen for the rest of eternity.

Trieste

Quote from: Xillen on February 12, 2009, 04:43:50 PM
As for the user control, the moment you pop that, you'll have to live with that red shield at the bottom right of your screen for the rest of eternity.

I already live it it at the top right (I have my bar on the top of the screen) in my PC - I turned off automatic updates because I was tired of my computer deciding when I should restart. I update regularly on my own, thank you very much, and don't need Windows to do it for me.

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Xillen on February 12, 2009, 04:43:50 PM

I just hit exit on it; but then, I don't usually need to turn my computer off for long periods of time either.

Scott

Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium click the
Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
and change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.

this work to get rid of the shield?

Xillen

Quote from: Trieste on February 12, 2009, 05:09:14 PM
I already live it it at the top right (I have my bar on the top of the screen) in my PC - I turned off automatic updates because I was tired of my computer deciding when I should restart. I update regularly on my own, thank you very much, and don't need Windows to do it for me.

I have it set to only inform me of new updates without actually downloading them. I know it uses up a bit of processor and internet resources, but not noteworthy so.

Scott> I've found an option somewhere to simply never display that red shield anymore, but I forgot where I did that, so I'm afraid I can't help you test it until I found that option again :P