Cthulhu Dark (Recruitment Closed)

Started by Ebb, April 17, 2013, 04:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

Quote from: Red Lobster on April 19, 2013, 01:12:05 PM
Posted my character. I left it pretty vague overall intentionally as I've learned I do not like marrying myself to a personality or backstory before I know really what the game is going to be about or feel like.

Thanks for the submission. I think it gives a good sense of Jonathan's personality, and the thuggish gangster is always a welcome period representative.

My question for you is whether you think he'll be sufficiently motivated to be swept along into events? Without giving anything away, in true Call of Cthulhu fashion it is likely that all of you will need to go to extraordinary lengths and face great danger in order to combat the lurking evil. (Not you, Lurking.) Can you picture a motivation for Jonathan that would be strong enough to carry him through?

Just to be clear, and this goes for all of the players, I don't intend to spend too much GM time or effort on twisting arms in order to get people to tackle the problems before them. It'll be up to all of you, after the initial setup, to find some reason within yourselves to persist in this foolhardy errand. Could be loyalty to your dear friend Frank. Could be a tie to another PC who is going on this expedition like it or not. Could be a desire for great wealth. (Spoiler: There will be no great wealth, but it's somewhat plausible that your character could believe there is.) Could be sheer altruism, or even just a lark and desire for adventure. I don't need people to post this or anything, but do try to have something in mind.

Also, Red Lobster, if you could find a way to crop that photo down to only show your character it would be appreciated. I can help with this if you like; I'm no Photoshop expert, but I can find my way around MS Paint.

Malrunar

BruceTheCat

It will be a little difficult for me to answer your question Ebb knowing very little about the story of the game.

All of my experience with Call of Cthulu, which comes from playing the roleplaying game and reading a few of the short stories when I was in High School had a sharing theme of survival. The characters, for the most part, enter into a situation that for them originally seems ordinary which suddenly morphs into being anything but. Running never really seems like an option. To use the video game Silent Hill or Resident Evil as an example, characters voluntarily enter into a scene or story with seemingly normal intentions, then find that they are trapped in (almost literally) a nightmare.

Assuming that the story will be similar, I could easily see Jonathan approaching with the hope of making it big but then ending up in a fight for his life with the other characters. I was not under the impression, once again based on my familiarity with the mythos, that just walking away would be viable option. To be honest that is how I would prefer it as (in my mind) any sane person would run screaming to the hills from anything supernatural inside the Lovecraft universe. You would have to be crazy not too. Only when trying to rescue a loved one could I see someone barreling forward and facing this unimaginable evil when they have the ability to just walk away.

Does that answer your question appropriately?
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Ebb

Quote from: Red Lobster on April 19, 2013, 02:22:45 PM
It will be a little difficult for me to answer your question Ebb knowing very little about the story of the game.

All of my experience with Call of Cthulu, which comes from playing the roleplaying game and reading a few of the short stories when I was in High School had a sharing theme of survival. The characters, for the most part, enter into a situation that for them originally seems ordinary which suddenly morphs into being anything but. Running never really seems like an option. To use the video game Silent Hill or Resident Evil as an example, characters voluntarily enter into a scene or story with seemingly normal intentions, then find that they are trapped in (almost literally) a nightmare.

Assuming that the story will be similar, I could easily see Jonathan approaching with the hope of making it big but then ending up in a fight for his life with the other characters. I was not under the impression, once again based on my familiarity with the mythos, that just walking away would be viable option. To be honest that is how I would prefer it as (in my mind) any sane person would run screaming to the hills from anything supernatural inside the Lovecraft universe. You would have to be crazy not too. Only when trying to rescue a loved one could I see someone barreling forward and facing this unimaginable evil when they have the ability to just walk away.

Does that answer your question appropriately?

Yep, sounds good to me. Thank you.

Lurking

Player: Lurking

Name: Harrison Cartwright

Gender and Sexual Preference: Male, hetero.

Appearance:

Personality: Harrison is a small town boy. He was raised to be polite, respectful and to think realistically, never dream outside what you know. But he’s a quietly ambitious soul, a bit a dreamer who always thought there had to be more to life then what his parents planned for him. He wanted excitement, he wanted adventure. He can be a bit shy at first, but looks at everything he sees with wonder. His small town ways have made him fearless of the big city, as he doesn’t know how dangerous life can really be. He expects everyone to be as gentle and trusting as where he grew up. However he meets the danger with a chivalrous, all be it naive, attitude. He has a good heart, although he doesn’t realise this isn’t always a good thing.

Bio: Harrison grew up in a small town on the outskirts of Boston, living above the post office that his parents owned, along with his older sister and younger brother. He spent his childhood working in the shop or out on his bike making deliveries. After his deliveries were done he would find a quiet spot, take out one of the left over newspapers and happily loose himself in the words for the rest of the morning, often re-reading the entire paper just to make sure he hadn’t missed anything. It didn’t take him long to decide that simply delivering the news wouldn’t be enough for him, he had to be out there writing it, living it. Of course his parents planned for him to take over the shop one day, so weren’t happy when he announced at dinner one day that he was moving to Boston to become a reporter.
New to Boston, Harrison met Frank Walters, a photographer for the Boston Globe. Frank introduced him to a reporter at the paper and before he knew it, Harrison was fetching coffee and checking facts. Now, due to his hard work and determination, Harrison has been promoted to junior reporter and he’s looking for his first big story, one that would show them all that he’s not the green small town boy they all treat him as.

(Sorry that took so long to get up! I should be replying more frequently from now on tho. ^.^)
On Hiatus