Derelict [Hard Sci-Fi] [Interest Check]

Started by Question Mark, July 15, 2013, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question Mark

Derelict
Section One: Harbinger

Imagine this: you are an astronaut aboard the International Space Station.  Fifty five days after you arrive, an unknown object collides with the station, knocking it into a decaying orbit and damaging the hull.  It quickly becomes obvious that it's some kind of spacecraft, and the collision was it docking with the ISS.  With oxygen and altitude running low, you begin a race to figure out where the derelict came from... and how to detach it from the ISS before it drags you to an fiery death.

• I'm looking for two skilled and dedicated writers who are willing to think outside the box and explore the limits of the sotry.  There will not be a posting order or timetable, and the game is freeform.  Although I have planned out the forces involved and their agendas, the actions of your characters and the decisions they make will determine the course of this story, their fate, and possibly the future of mankind.

• This is hard sci-fi, and takes place in the modern day.  This means there are no supernatural elements, and everything that happens will fall within what we currently understand to be possible.  For example, there are no warp drives or magic.

• This is the first part of a larger story.  If you saw or participated in my game ARCTICA, this could be considered a prequel.  I don't expect this game to take very long, and there may be sequels.

• At the moment, this is just an interest check.  Since the game falls outside the normal E genres and will not be smut focused, I'm not sure if there's an audience for this kind of thing.

• Questions, comments, concerns?

Question Mark

I don't think I've ever done this before, but I like what I have planned for this story, so...

bump

Tydorei

Chrystal

Interested. I do love a good hard sci-fi story!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

LordMing

I would very much like to get in on this if at all possible.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Question Mark

Replies!  I'm thrilled to see there is some interest after all!

Alright, so here's the deal.  I'll post an application form later today and set a date.  When that date comes, I'll take a look at all the apps and pick the two I like best.  I'll also update this thread with IC info related to the game.

Question Mark

After going through the game, I've made a few changes to the premise.  The most significant change is that this no longer takes place on the ISS, but on a fictional station called the COLAB, or the Commercial Orbital Laboratory.  This station was recently completed in low Earth orbit by the corporation Orbital Sciences.  It's functionally identical to the ISS -- a habitable space station in LEO that is used for scientific experimentation -- but is owned by a private company on earth, crewed by commercial astronauts and scientists, and allows for more freedom on my part for making the game realistic.  The second change is that the game takes place in the year 2019.  That's mainly for internal consistency, and shouldn't have any real impact on you guys.

A few notes on character creation and background info:

• This takes place on the COLAB, in the year 2019.  For the most part, assume the world to be the same as it is now.  There have been no major catastrophes or geopolitical upheavals, but technology has progressed somewhat, so you can make of that what you will.
  • Your character is an astronaut, so take that into account.  They likely had a career in their country's Air Force, or a similar organization.  One way or another, they were involved with aeronautics for a large part of their life.  The alternative is that they're a scientist; instead of the flight experience, they are extremely proficient in their discipline, and are onboard the COLAB to perform experiments, sponsored by a wealthy entity.
  • The game starts 56 days after the characters arrive on the COLAB.
  • The COLAB, like the ISS, is mainly up there for SCIENCE!!-- er, ahem, science.  Your character is up there to keep the station running and to conduct scientific experiments the owners of the COLAB send you.  If your character is a specialized scientist, they may be overseeing their own investigations.  Be creative with this.
  • I'm hoping you'll make a realistic and believable character.  Realism is a major part of this game.  It's not meant to be a hindrance, but rather a tool to encourage suspension of disbelief and creativity.
  • Take your time with your character.  It'll be at least a week before I really look at it, so don't feel rushed.  Ditto with the writing sample, as that will probably be one of the things I look at closest if I get 3 or more applications.
  • Ethnicity, gender, and other inherent traits are entirely up to you.  Since Orbital Sciences is a private corporation, nationality is not relevant like it was with government space initiatives like NASA.

[b]FULL NAME[/b]:
[b]NATIONALITY[/b]
[b]CITIZENSHIPS[/b]:
[b]SEX[/b]:
[b]DATE of BIRTH[/b]:
[b]PLACE of BIRTH[/b]: [If country of birth differs from CITIZENRY, elaborate]
[b]NEXT of KIN[/b]:

[b]APPEARANCE[/b]: [Please attach photo or likeness (.jpg or .png, no larger than 2gb).  Photo or likeness must accurately represent the individual and be no older than six months.]
[b]ETHNICITY[/b]:
[b]HEIGHT[/b]:
[b]WEIGHT[/b]:
[b]SKIN COLOR[/b]:
[b]EYE COLOR[/b]:
[b]HAIR COLOR[/b]:
[b]TATTOOS[/b]:
[b]BIRTHMARKS or SCARS[/b]:
[b]OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or TRAITS[/b]:

[b]OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS[/b]: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE

[b]PERSONALITY[/b]: [Informal summary]
[b]PHOBIAS[/b]:
[b]HOBBIES[/b]:
[b]CRIMES[/b]: [Note: List all, even those not resulting in a conviction]
[b]ADDICTIONS[/b]: [Include any and all substance or mental addictions suffered, past or present]
[b]OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM[/b]: [Note: No input required.  Please Attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-5 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the Form here]
[b]ADDITIONAL NOTES[/b]: [If needed]

[b]CURRENT MEDICATIONS[/b]:
[b]CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES[/b]:
[b]CURRENT MENTAL or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES[/b]:
[b]PHYSICAL, MENTAL, and EMOTIONAL SUMMARY[/b]: [Note: Informal Summary]

[b]PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT[/b]: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-2 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]
[b]VACCINATIONS[/b]: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Vaccination Form A to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]

[b]WRITING SAMPLE[/b]: [Upon leaving Earth, you endured a two day shuttle flight as you accelerated to match the COLAB's blistering 30,000 km/hr.  As you dock with the station, you see the smiling faces of the men and women you'll be replacing gazing at you through the airlock's viewport.  Yours is a 6-month stay.  In those last few minutes before the airlock is safe for use, you have a precious moment of peace.  What are your thoughts?  What do you look forward to, what do you dread?  Is the the pinnacle of your life, or just one more step on the road?  When that airlock opens, what will you say to the people inside?]

There will be more info soon, but now at least you have the template.

Have fun guys :)

Malrunar

Question Mark

Quote from: Yggdrasil on July 24, 2013, 09:47:53 PM
... Damn you, Q! *Shakes fist*

I hope that's a "Damn you, you've lured me into another game!" and not a "Damn you, *insert other grievous offense here*!"

Malrunar

Quote from: Question Mark on July 24, 2013, 11:12:16 PM
I hope that's a "Damn you, you've lured me into another game!" and not a "Damn you, *insert other grievous offense here*!"

It's a 'damn you, you lured me into another game, despite the fact that I'm not sure if I can/should take on another!' But... *Pouts* Curses.

Chrystal

As you seem to have more players interested than you need, I'll bow out and let the others go for it, but I may just keep following this one to see how it develops.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Wargtass

Oh Question Mark, I have to agree with Yggdrasil. Damn you all to soylent green is people.  ::)
O/O

Question Mark

Quote from: Yggdrasil on July 25, 2013, 10:11:14 AM
It's a 'damn you, you lured me into another game, despite the fact that I'm not sure if I can/should take on another!' But... *Pouts* Curses.

Quote from: Wargtass on July 25, 2013, 05:29:14 PM
Oh Question Mark, I have to agree with Yggdrasil. Damn you all to soylent green is people.  ::)

Glad to hear it, I look forward to both of your applications.

Quote from: Chrystal on July 25, 2013, 03:15:13 PM
As you seem to have more players interested than you need, I'll bow out and let the others go for it, but I may just keep following this one to see how it develops.

:(  This gives me a sad.  Please keep following it!  I may decide to expand the game later, or someone may drop out.

Chrystal

Quote from: Question Mark on July 25, 2013, 07:53:43 PM
:(  This gives me a sad.  Please keep following it!  I may decide to expand the game later, or someone may drop out.

But you said you were going to choose which two players you wanted out of the applicants. I'm actually making that choice easier for you.

It's not that I don't want to play, but that I feel that as I am far too over-committed, it would be better for me to give others the chance to play.

Question Mark

Quote from: Chrystal on July 26, 2013, 12:17:02 PM
But you said you were going to choose which two players you wanted out of the applicants. I'm actually making that choice easier for you.

True, but I'm never happy to see someone go.

Good luck in your endeavors Chrystal!

Question Mark

When I said take your time, I assumed it would be a couple of days, not a couple of weeks!  :P