What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Oniya on November 30, 2010, 08:35:32 PM
It's an MMO, like FF11.  Nuff said.

13 is the one that had the building blocks available to it that could've built something amazing. Sadly the builder in charge was blindfolded and retarded so it's just a massive let down to anybody with eyes.
14 is the MMO that proves Square don't like to learn from their mistakes.

Inkidu

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on November 30, 2010, 09:28:54 PM
13 is the one that had the building blocks available to it that could've built something amazing. Sadly the builder in charge was blindfolded and retarded so it's just a massive let down to anybody with eyes.
14 is the MMO that proves Square don't like to learn from their mistakes.
I think the Japanese gaming market is on a downward slide in the west. They just don't change enough. I mean even game informer had one of those chose your path things where you pick an option and trace the line. They said it was to help you save money on any JRPG ever released. Every one of those items in that chart were true.

Mysterious swordsman.

Is there any chance he's your father?

Yes.

He's your father.

No.

He's your father.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Genbu83

As much as I hate to say it, Dragon Age. A fantasy game that is rather plot heavy and character involved; one would think as a I roleplayer I would eat it up.

The mechanics didn't click with me and the storylines really didn't pull me in.

It's a great game, just not for me. I will say though the most interesting parts were listening to the characters banter with one another. I think that's where the game felt most alive to me.

DarklingAlice

I wish that Dragon Age didn't pull me in <_<

I love the storylines, setting, and characters. But mechanically it is quite underwhelming and frustrating.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Jude

I wish it /had/ pulled me in :|  I could not like Dragon Age no matter how hard I tried.  I'll try again later. :(

Envious

Quote from: Inkidu on November 30, 2010, 08:27:57 PM
Details, I must have them. I have taken it upon myself to awaken every Final Fantasy Fanboy to the realization that not everything Square-Enix produces is golden.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a FF fanboy. I've only played three of their fourteen games, two of which I greatly enjoyed, and the third, FF13? The combat system frustrated me as well as the linear movement. I beat it once, that's good enough for me.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Inkidu on November 30, 2010, 09:53:52 PM
I think the Japanese gaming market is on a downward slide in the west. They just don't change enough. I mean even game informer had one of those chose your path things where you pick an option and trace the line. They said it was to help you save money on any JRPG ever released. Every one of those items in that chart were true.

Meh, it's on a slide with people who already didn't like their product, for the most part.
Granted there are people who used to lap up the Japanese exports who have become disillusioned with the whole situation (I myself could easily rank among those numbers I suppose) but when it comes right down to it, especially with SquareEnix titles, they come out of Japan and straight into the sweaty clutches of the weeaboos who don't really concern themselves too much with quality. Other than that as long as they make bank in Japan, the devs don't really care since that's the primary cash cow for them.
In the defence of Squenix, at least they published Nier which was pretty damn good for a Frankenstein's monster of a game.

MessrMoony

Infinite Undiscovery. I just...why did I buy it!?

I wanted this game to be good. I really did. Not because it was to do with Square Enix, but because it did seem to be a really interesting game.
I enjoyed running through the different map areas and the battle system was...okay. However the bad outweighed the good in my opinion.
The characters were annoying, the voice actors were terrible and just as annoying as the characters they voiced. The art style wasn't particularly eye catching (It was very samey) and I found no replay value in it at all as a lot of it could be skipped and wasn't needed to finish the game. I managed perfectly well to wander through the game barely training my characters or collecting anything.

The plot wasn't bad, but some bits were predictable and I found myself not feeling immersed in it. I found myself gritting my teeth because of the main character, who just seemed to have no back story at all and Aya was a typical annoying and generic female lead who appeared to be schizophrenic at times and was a magical 'rebel' princess *cough Mary-Sue cough*. Vic was the only one I found a little interesting due to her having a nice twist, but she wasn't fleshed out enough for me to really do much other than go "Huh. Oh, that was nice." and move on. The same with the villains. I pretty much had no interest in them as I only saw most of them when I had to fight them. Then it was a case of 'Congrats! Now move on'. I don't think the poor dialogue helped much either.

I found that a lot of the time I'd be running around wondering what I had to do next or where to go. A lot of moments I'd do something, it wouldn't work, so I'd spend another half hour running around looking for the fix it, only to find I had to run back to another person and ask them (like when I was looking for the bear. I followed all the directions given, got nothing. Ran right back to the person who asked me to look for it, only to be told to do what I'd just done, which THEN triggered the event).

I'll shush now. I just figured it was nicer to give a reason as to why I disliked it and would like to remove it from my brain with brain bleach. :3

They say love hides behind every corner...I must be walking round in circles.
Ons & Offs

Currently seeking

Inkidu

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on December 01, 2010, 05:06:08 PM
Meh, it's on a slide with people who already didn't like their product, for the most part.
Granted there are people who used to lap up the Japanese exports who have become disillusioned with the whole situation (I myself could easily rank among those numbers I suppose) but when it comes right down to it, especially with SquareEnix titles, they come out of Japan and straight into the sweaty clutches of the weeaboos who don't really concern themselves too much with quality. Other than that as long as they make bank in Japan, the devs don't really care since that's the primary cash cow for them.
In the defence of Squenix, at least they published Nier which was pretty damn good for a Frankenstein's monster of a game.
I thought Nier was pitiful. Sure the story was engaging for maybe an hour and then the rather lackluster mechanics reared their ugly head. I do agree though I'm the disenfranchised Japanese game former fanboy. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Cheka Man

Sim City 4-a waste of time and money.

Inkidu

Quote from: Cheka Man on December 05, 2010, 02:59:25 PM
Sim City 4-a waste of time and money.
I would have figured they'd be on eight by now.

Villain

The Saw Movie Game. I wasn't expecting awesome game play, what I bought it for was the inevitable twist at the end of the game. It delivered nothing and worst of all it didn't even use the legendary saw music.

CaringGuy

3D Dot Game Hero.  Maybe I'm going to sound incredibly hypocritical when I say this, but if you want to play old school Zelda just go back and play old school Zelda.  It's a funny concept to take the old '8-bit graphics' and attempt to bring that charm into a 3D realm, but the game was incapable of keeping my interest for more than a few hours.  Maybe it's just my shot attention span.  Certainly not a bad game, and I do award it for doing something different with the presentation.  The gameplay was just very shallow.

ivygrowth

Star Trek Online.  I expect repetition in an MMO, but not to that degree.   >:(

For that matter, Age of Conan.  Thanks for forgetting to include high level content, leaving half of it broken, then making it twice as hard to level from 70-80.  Oh, and I mustn't forget leaving out a bunch of ingredients required to advance in crafting.    ???  The first twenty levels were fun though  :P

Inkidu

Quote from: ivygrowth on December 07, 2010, 05:45:21 AM
Star Trek Online.  I expect repetition in an MMO, but not to that degree.   >:(

For that matter, Age of Conan.  Thanks for forgetting to include high level content, leaving half of it broken, then making it twice as hard to level from 70-80.  Oh, and I mustn't forget leaving out a bunch of ingredients required to advance in crafting.    ???  The first twenty levels were fun though  :P
I've always wondered about MMOs on that front. Seriously how can someone do a fetch quest, the same fetch quest in excess of ten times without getting bored?

I think it's marcros.

Seto

I have a long list but I will only name a few
Call of Duty Black Ops- Treyarch should burn
Star wars the force unleashed two- Too short
Demon souls- I don't even have a bad comment it's that bad

Inkidu

Quote from: Seto on December 09, 2010, 08:05:10 AM
I have a long list but I will only name a few
Star wars the force unleashed two- Too short
Demon souls- I don't even have a bad comment it's that bad
Isn't demon soul meta-hard? Don't people realize that's not challenge that's just rote memorization?

Edit: Oof, I just played Tom Clancy's Hawx. Lame name, lamer game. It moves so slow, and you just lock a missile and forget. seriously. They even have a thing that plots your course for you should you be too dumb to know that you have to dogfight in a jet game (which isn't really true).

It's slow too, I mean it. You wouldn't think it. Oh, my God. I thought I was going to die of boredom. Bland scenery, and really lack luster controls. It was like it couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to be a sim or an action game and impaled itself while hopping the fence.

Inkidu

I now remember why I don't buy sports-genre games. I'm sorely tempted never to pick up another NCAA football game as long as I live.

Soran

Supreme Commander 2...I liked the first one and the expansion, then it came up on Steam...£2.50, that was all...£2.50 for a sequel to one of my favourite RTS games..oh boy..it was terrible...I feel all unclean for buying sup com 2. *pukes*

Inkidu

I don't like Gas Powered Games. They sold me Demigod (well technically Wal-Mart did, but Gas Powered made it) and while I wouldn't normally wish it on anyone it is my fondest wish to see them go out of business. They did both Supreme Commander games right?

Shadow879

Quote from: Seto on December 09, 2010, 08:05:10 AM

While I agree with the sentiment that Treyarch should burn, I didn't think CoD:BO was that bad. I wasn't impressed with CoD 4 or Modern Warfare 2 in the slightest. IMO they killed the CoD series with COD2. It didn't have that old World War II movie dramatic feel like CoD1 and UO did.

For me the CoD series was all about the SP mode. I enjoyed playing MP, but SP was why I bought them. CoD and CoD:UO were amazing, CoD2 was pretty good, I got to be a killer sniper. CoD4 made me want to cry, MW2 moreso. I bought black ops hoping they had improved. They didn't improve the mechanics much, but the storyline was alright.

My submission has to be Medal of Honor, the new one. I wasn't impressed by the single player. I completed it in the space of 2 hours. VERY very short. Gameplay wasnt too bad, but it was just so frustratingly short. I haven't played multiplayer yet, I'm hoping its better.

I don't think there's really a game that frustrated me beyond belief. There are, however, three windows operating systems. They are: Windows ME, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. I want XP back.
Never back down, never look back.

How to make love to the Dark

Inkidu

Sport's games:

Screw luck, screw skill, screw actually knowing how to play. It's all numbers. If you know statistics you cannot lose.

CaringGuy

Let's Dance 2.  I don't even think I'd want to play it if a bunch of friends forced me into it.  It is just... so... clunky.  I think this might actually be the area where the Microsoft Kinect is going to really dominate.  The motion sensor dancing games actually seem to be functional, while most of the stuff for the Wii is simply picking up on the Wii Remote alone.  The Wii isn't designed for dancing games, or at least I don't think so.

Empress Leo

Quote from: Inkidu on August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Final Fantasy XII, I hate that I even anticipated that game.

Yeah. I didn't much enjoy that game either. And I bought the one in the metal case with the special strategy guide that had the art book in it too. It all came to about $95! Although I don't regret adding something to my FF possessions simply because it's FF, I do regret rushing out to get it and needlessly spending money like that. I coulda bought some candy!
"The key to leadership is yelling."

Ons & Offs

Tick

I died off the FF series after ten. Wanting to shove Tidus's sword through his eye eveerytime he opened his mouth lost its appeal fast. I loved VII and VIII though.
As for my list... I think I am one of the few to trash rts's.

-Age of Empires 3. You don't out an F-ing level system in an rts. It kills the point.

-Rise of Legends. They tried too hard on the units and while the city system is kinda unique it was sloppy in my opinion.

-Pokemon(the last five ones) let it die for the love of the cute originals. Everyone, or almost everyone has nostalgia for pokemon, but I haven't seen them add anything but new names, maps, and pictures. New games should have something unique and not stupid repeats that survive mostly on the name and cute pictures.(sorry for the rant).