Smiley faces and Maturity!

Started by Xenphir, May 17, 2014, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenphir

So tell me what you all think about using lots of smiley faces. Is it immature? Annoying? Or do you find them useful and fun? I was a bit curious about what others thought, and also, if they have any unique smiley's to share. o 3o

I like using smiley faces since I think it adds emotion to text and words when chatting with someone. It helps clear any misunderstanding of the emotions behind the text.

Such as:

Wow :D = You are happily and truly surprised or amazed. ^^

Wow.. -.- = Sarcastic, could be seen as being annoyed and surprised someone would say something that odd.

Wow. = Unsure of how they feel. Happy or sarcastic?

Don't forget to show me some of your faces or text designs! Perhaps a dance? (>'-')> <('-'<) ^('-')> <('-')^

Oniya

In a socializing post (anything outside an RP), I'll sometimes use a smiley to make sure that my emotion is being properly conveyed.  It saves me from

(  o_o)
(  o_o)⌐■-■
( ⌐■-■)

losing face.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xenphir

Heheh that was adorable Oniya. x3

Dotley

When used in the appropriate context (best not to use them in something like work emails) and not overused to an excessive degree I enjoy smiley faces. I don't find them inherently annoying or an indication of someone being immature.

Also, who could resist the sparkle emoticon? (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Xenphir

Ohh sparkles! I love sparkles.

I use them a bit excessively... but sometimes I just get to typing and I barely realise I've used so many faces! I just love the use of them.

Blythe

My two cents:

Smileys in moderation, smileys in non-professional settings = Good thing!  ;D
Smileys used too much, smileys overly relied upon to convey meaning, smileys in serious or professional settings = Bad thing, potentially annoying or immature.

Alas, I don't have any of my own to share; I usually can only recognize the most common smileys and have to get less common ones explained to me.

Inkidu

If I'm writing it in any semblance of a professional capacity. No, I will absolutely not use emoticons. You wouldn't call your boss dude. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

I got into the habit of using them more or less as punctuation in online chatter after noticing people took my jokes as jokes (as opposed to taking them seriously/getting offended) much more often when I ended the line with a non-serious face. I suppose I use them more as a diplomatic tool than actually trying to express emotion. ;p

But yeah, obviously they're not for professional contexts.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Xenphir

I completely agree! While I love using emoticons and smiley faces, it is definitely not something for professional writings. It can show your employer that you don't take things very seriously at all.

But otherwise, like should be fun! The internet is a very un-serious place at most times after all. xD

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 17, 2014, 02:59:32 PM
You wouldn't call your boss dude.

I have had a boss that would have been quite fine with that - of course, he also ran a D&D game after work on alternate Fridays.  I miss that job sometimes.  Not the job, but the people.

I had one teacher in college that insisted we not call him 'Doctor __________' (since he wasn't a PhD), but I could never bring myself to call him 'Bob' (as he suggested).   I compromised with 'Professor ________'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 17, 2014, 03:18:10 PM
I have had a boss that would have been quite fine with that - of course, he also ran a D&D game after work on alternate Fridays.  I miss that job sometimes.  Not the job, but the people.

I had one teacher in college that insisted we not call him 'Doctor __________' (since he wasn't a PhD), but I could never bring myself to call him 'Bob' (as he suggested).   I compromised with 'Professor ________'
If they don't have their PhD you don't call them doctor. I've never known a PhD who wasn't cool with Doc though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xenphir

Speaking of Professors... I remember when I was in high school I would draw a smiley face on every single assignment and test (That wasn't from the state. I didn't draw on those bubble ones since you're not supposed to xD) and the teacher would always know which ones were mine without looking at the name.

rou

Hahaha. I like using some smileys, but I am also (usually) good at expressing myself well via words. The only times I have misunderstandings are when I'm talking about something serious, and people might think I'm angry when I'm not, but it's still not a situation that emoticons can help me with!

I saw someone who used dragon smileys a lot. I loved them, but was bummed because it seem to be their gimmick, so it wouldn't have been socially acceptable to use them as well in that place.

^(o.=.o)^
^(e.=.e)^
^(x.=.x)^
etc

I also made my own dancey ones. (>^.^)> <(^o^<) (>^.^)>

I had a friend who would give me flowers: (>._.)><@
And then I would give him a hug!: v(._.)(^o^)>

xD

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Xenphir

Those are so cute!  I like the dragon ones as well as yours. It's always nice to see various uses of what I call bubble faces since they are inside ( ) and have pointy arms with ><^v etc.

jouzinka

I use smilies as punctuation. :D

Though not in professional email where a professional/official tone is required, I *would* use them in moderation even for work emails with people I have had established friendly rapport with.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Kevben Battleheart

I just tend to use them whenever I'm in the mood, like now for example. =^_^=
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Stella

All in moderation! I really value smileys/faces to establish the tone of conversation, especially when chatting with people I don't know well.

Thesunmaid

Quote from: Inkidu on May 17, 2014, 02:59:32 PM
If I'm writing it in any semblance of a professional capacity. No, I will absolutely not use emoticons. You wouldn't call your boss dude.

Used to have a boss I called dude lol but he was pretty laid back about things as well.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Melusine

Emoticons/smileys have an (in my opinion) important function in internet interactions: allowing us to simulate facial expressions, which are a big part of communication.

This:
You're such an asshole.

Has a totally different meaning when you add a particular smiley like this:
You're such an asshole.  :P

So emoticons are necessary, for me at least. Unless you're writing a professional e-mail. Then it's a big no-no.

Oniya

Although hopefully you wouldn't be using the phrase 'You are such an asshole' in a professional email to begin with.  ;D

Melusine

Of course not!!! Wouldn't want to get fired... ::)

Nico

I do like my smiley faces now and then, but not in RP posts. There is a too much, though, and there is this point when it's nothing but annoying.

Oniya

What?   ???  I can't believe you said that!  :o  Now my feelings are hurt.   :-[  :'(  I thought everyone thought that smileys were cool.  O8)  8-)

O:)

(Okay, that was totally and deliberately immature on my part.)

Nico

Quote from: Oniya on June 03, 2014, 09:55:07 AM
What?   ???  I can't believe you said that!  :o  Now my feelings are hurt.   :-[  :'(  I thought everyone thought that smileys were cool.  O8)  8-)

O:)

(Okay, that was totally and deliberately immature on my part.)
:P

Caeli

While I would say that generally, smileys have no place in professional communication, I will usually echo a customer/client who uses one first, just to match their level of good nature.  For the most part, I wouldn't use a smiley first, though, and I usually save them for good friends and text messages with said close friends.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs