Saving messages.

Started by Nachtmahr, October 22, 2014, 02:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachtmahr

I would like to know how, or even just if, I can save a PM so that it does not get eaten if I prune my inbox. I tried to do something with tags or what have you in the past, but it didn't work at all, and a lot of messages I didn't want rid of were lost in the great PM-War of 2013.

I would like to reduce the amount of casualties this time around.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Elysian Radiance

Yes! I second this! I would LOVE a way to be able to save PM's. As an organization freak, I love being able to organize my PM's and this would totally help!
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Beguile's Mistress

I use labels to save my messages.  You can set up a label for a particular story, person/writing partner or category and if you string your messages as a conversation and don't move or delete them they should be safe.  If you are really paranoid about saving messages copy them into a word doc or Google doc or something of that sort.

I've never lost a message but then again I've never deleted one either.

Oreo

Another weird option is to have your PMs set to notification. I have a Gmail folder set up for my Elliquiy PMs so even if they get lost here I have a record there. The only thing it doesn't show is the pictures. : ( I recommend Gmail specifically since they don't delete old messages.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Nachtmahr

Well, I've tried labels at one point - I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I lost a whole punch of messages that I'd rather have kept after that. ._. I don't really want to keep them around as documents either, because my PC is probably far more of a mess than my inbox.

Is there a maximum to the amount of messages you should keep? For site slow-down reasons or something? I seem to recall hearing something like that at some point.

Oreo

There is no limit to the amount of messages you can have. Some have more than 30,000.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Nachtmahr

Oh dear me! I wish I was that popular. I start feeling guilty when I cross 1000.

I just thought I had seen a post at one point encouraging people to trim their inbox. o: Is that not a thing? if so, this will be far less of an issue. However, I still find the current label system a bit iffy and overly complicated.

Oreo

The basic rule is if you use labels - never delete a PM/Label. I found that out the hard way myself. Now I have things set up so everything comes to my inbox. I can choose at that point to put the PM under a specific label, keep it in a catch all folder, or delete it if it isn't relevant.

Valthazar

I have a quick and easy way to retrieving all messages from a given user.  First, I set my PMs up as a conversation:   [ My messages -> Preferences -> Change Settings -> Display personal messages -> As a conversation ]

Then, I do the following: [ My Messages -> Actions -> Search Messages ].  Type the word "the" in the "Search for" box, and then type the member's name in the "by user" box.  Almost every PM conversation thread in existence contains the word "the" so you'll be able to pull all messages from a member this way.

Nachtmahr

Well - Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll see what I can do about it all, but I have to admit that it does seem like a bit of an overwhelming chore to keep an inbox neat. x3

Edit: The conversation system is helping, but it seems to have some issues, breaking off 'conversations' at points it shouldn't, and starting a new. Is this just me thinking that, or have any of your experienced it too?

Rogue

The only time I've had that happen is if someone sends a fresh message not connected to the original conversation. Other than that, not so much.

Beguile's Mistress

You and the other person have to use the quote or reply feature throughout to keep a single conversation thread going.

Also if you click the From title at the top of the list the Inbox will be sorted by sender.  You can also sort by Subject and up and down by date.