News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usani

I started watching Doctor Who on Netflix a few days ago and I am now on Season 2 and I can't get enough of it!  A lot of people have been saying your first Doctor will always be your first love lol and they're right!  I looooooooved the ninth doctor it sucks he was only on for a short amount of time.  Now, don't get me wrong yes I do like the tenth doctor he has a special place as well but the ninth doctor will always be My Doctor <3!  :D

Teo Torriatte

My first Doctor was the 5th one, Peter Davison, and it's true, he is still my favorite.

But I agree that the 9th was awesome as well, and wasn't on for long enough before he regenerated. I just love the attitude that he brought to the character, gave him an edge that many of the others hadn't.

Usani

Quote from: Luna on September 19, 2012, 08:44:42 PM
My first Doctor was the 5th one, Peter Davison, and it's true, he is still my favorite.

But I agree that the 9th was awesome as well, and wasn't on for long enough before he regenerated. I just love the attitude that he brought to the character, gave him an edge that many of the others hadn't.

Yeah I dunno what it is but it seems the ninth had more love and compassion towards Rose then the tenth so far, I dunno maybe that's just me lol.  I hoping someone on here sees my Doctor Who idea.

Oniya

My first was Number 4.  I made myself a 15-foot scarf and wear it whenever the weather gives me the excuse.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Usani

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2012, 09:30:38 PM
My first was Number 4.  I made myself a 15-foot scarf and wear it whenever the weather gives me the excuse.

That's awesome!  :D I wish I could get a leather coat like Number 9 had, I loved it!

Observing Trifles

Doctor Who seems to have that addictive effect on a lot of people new to the show. I watched one episode on a whim. I was simply flipping through the channels and landed on BBCA. An hour later, I was making a mad dash to Netflix so I could watch the rest.

Ten was my first, during the "Partners in Crime" episode. Great fun. :D
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Usani

The last episode during Season 1 brought me to tears especially when he kissed her!  That made me love him even more!

Callie Del Noire

My biggest glee was finding that the Amazon Prime app plays A HUGE list of Current and classic episodes.. all the way back to the original doctor.

Usani

Really?! Damn now I just need money! lol

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 19, 2012, 10:35:29 PM
My biggest glee was finding that the Amazon Prime app plays A HUGE list of Current and classic episodes.. all the way back to the original doctor.

Really? That's convenient, considering Netflix doesn't seem to have the classic episodes.
|| the hunt ||

Usani

I was just wondering if anyone could look at my plot and tell me if it's any good or needs more something.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrilliantDays on September 19, 2012, 11:10:43 PM
Really? That's convenient, considering Netflix doesn't seem to have the classic episodes.

Straight off my iPad amazon prime app. There are, however, some BIG gaps. Like 2 eps of season 1 then nothing till season 5. Lost episodes galore.

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2012, 09:30:38 PM

My first Doctor was the Third. I've been watching Dr Who reruns since early teens :)

KittyMocha

Am I the only person whose Doctor isn't the first one they saw?  I started the show off from the 2005 era, with Nine, but Eleven is really -REALLY- growing on me lately.  I think, out of the three "New Who" Doctors, he's the one I'd most like to travel with.  I wouldn't say no to Ten either, though.  :)

Usani

Quote from: KittyMocha on September 20, 2012, 03:19:13 AM
Am I the only person whose Doctor isn't the first one they saw?  I started the show off from the 2005 era, with Nine, but Eleven is really -REALLY- growing on me lately.  I think, out of the three "New Who" Doctors, he's the one I'd most like to travel with.  I wouldn't say no to Ten either, though.  :)

Nope I just started watching it this week and started with 2005 and I am in love with the Ninth doctor lol!

Avis habilis

TomDoc cannot be surpassed. Although admittedly Jon Pertwee comes in a close second thanks to the barely repressed haughtiness, groovy outfits & Venusian aikido.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 20, 2012, 12:13:09 PM
TomDoc cannot be surpassed. Although admittedly Jon Pertwee comes in a close second thanks to the barely repressed haughtiness, groovy outfits & Venusian aikido.

I was a TomDoc fan for a while..then he went on 'strike' for a while till his wife got to stay with the show. Months without the Doctor dimmed my liking.. though I admit that his era was my first.. seeing him..then coming back to the states and seeing Pertwee was interesting.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2012, 12:40:33 PM
I was a TomDoc fan for a while..then he went on 'strike' for a while till his wife got to stay with the show.

Then they go & split & she ends up married to Richard Dawkins anyway. Tsk.

Oniya

By the time I got into it, they weren't even filming TomDoc anymore - but it was the latest thing that PBS had available.  They used to get a huge turnout during the membership drives from the Doctor Who crowd, and some even volunteered to man the phones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on September 20, 2012, 01:29:40 PM
... and some even volunteered to man the phones.

I seem to remember the Doctor Who fan club showing up in costume to do the same during Prairie Public TV drives.

Lilias

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
There are, however, some BIG gaps. Like 2 eps of season 1 then nothing till season 5. Lost episodes galore.

Several archives have been destroyed by oversight. Some were salvaged, but more are gone forever.

I watched (briefly and rather indifferently) during the Tom Baker era, then picked it up during the reboot. I consider myself a fan of DH, but not of the Doctor himself. Some companions (Sarah Jane, Donna, Amy) have more zip than the man.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lilias on September 20, 2012, 03:20:24 PM
Several archives have been destroyed by oversight. Some were salvaged, but more are gone forever.

I watched (briefly and rather indifferently) during the Tom Baker era, then picked it up during the reboot. I consider myself a fan of DH, but not of the Doctor himself. Some companions (Sarah Jane, Donna, Amy) have more zip than the man.

Well part of the problem was the film was normally destroyed after a certain period. So odds are the 2 eps from the first season were the only prints still left of that season.  I think someone said that they are always hopeful some old BBC tech left reels in an attic somewhere and that his grandkids will find them someday.

Polymorph

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2012, 03:25:34 PM
Well part of the problem was the film was normally destroyed after a certain period. So odds are the 2 eps from the first season were the only prints still left of that season.  I think someone said that they are always hopeful some old BBC tech left reels in an attic somewhere and that his grandkids will find them someday.

A couple of lost episodes were found just last year dating back to the sixties. One with William Hartnell and one with Patrick Troughton. The man that had them on original film reels bought them at a school fete thirty years ago.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Polymorph on September 20, 2012, 03:47:33 PM
A couple of lost episodes were found just last year dating back to the sixties. One with William Hartnell and one with Patrick Troughton. The man that had them on original film reels bought them at a school fete thirty years ago.

Yup.. of course the longer they go without appearing, the less likely we'll see more of them. One should keep hoping though. Thanks to the appeal of the new series though, there is a big awareness that they are out there. A lot of folks who never saw the 'pre-2000' series know about the lost eps now.

Mathim

It's funny, when I first saw Eccleston regenerate into Tennant, I was convinced this was going to be a bad move. I ended up loving Tennant way more than Eccleston even though Eccleston was technically my first Doctor. I'm kind of tired of Smith already, wanting to see the 12th Doctor hopefully next season.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Mathim on September 20, 2012, 04:16:19 PM
It's funny, when I first saw Eccleston regenerate into Tennant, I was convinced this was going to be a bad move. I ended up loving Tennant way more than Eccleston even though Eccleston was technically my first Doctor. I'm kind of tired of Smith already, wanting to see the 12th Doctor hopefully next season.

From what I understand, Smith is on board until 2014 at minimum.
|| the hunt ||

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrilliantDays on September 20, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

It still blows my mind he tried out for Watson on Sherlock and wound up as the Doctor instead.

Lilias

Quote from: BrilliantDays on September 20, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

We will have a new companion at the Christmas special. I doubt we'd get a new Doctor in the very next season, barring something unpredictable.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lilias on September 20, 2012, 04:33:12 PM
We will have a new companion at the Christmas special. I doubt we'd get a new Doctor in the very next season, barring something unpredictable.

It's been fun watching the Nerd Rage in some areas at the hint that the next doctor will be a woman.. :D

Lilias

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2012, 04:35:47 PM
It's been fun watching the Nerd Rage in some areas at the hint that the next doctor will be a woman.. :D

Well, Jenna-Louise Coleman got the part because she could talk faster than Smith. ;) They're going to be a scream together, that's for sure.
~Wendell Berry

Observing Trifles

Ah, that's right, we're due for a new companion soon. I always get anxious to see how new companions settle into the rhythm (or lack thereof) of life with the Doctor.

Is that rumor still floating around? I wasn't sure if it was just Tumblr-talk, or if it was actually hinted at by the BBC.
|| the hunt ||

Polymorph

Oh yes indeed.

Well there has been a couple of hints dropped into the show that did confirm it was possible for a timelord to regenerate into a timelady.

Doctor who: Curse of the Fatal Death Part 2.2

Polymorph

Leela
My all time favourite companion. Attractive, scantily dressed and homicidal. Along with Wilma Deering the cause of sexual awakening, particularly when she got captured and tied or shackled up. 

Oniya

Is it bad that the 'homicidal' part was what endeared her to me?

Polymorph

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2012, 11:34:24 AM
Is it bad that the 'homicidal' part was what endeared her to me?

Nope, well maybe but in a good way >:) As the Doctor himself said about River Song, "I've always had a soft spot for a bad girl" or words to that effect.

Callie Del Noire

I see a lot of stuff on the companions.. saw soemthing on Teagan's actress battling cancer this morning.

PuckThePlayful

My first Dr was the 11th, the Pandorica episodes. It was a blast, but I wasn't sure what all I was seeing. I saw a few more of his episodes, and then decided to start watching the series. I've seen bits and pieces of the older Dr's and really liked Hartnell. Now I'm a little more versed, having watched up to season 5, and while my first Dr isn't my favorite, I'm still a fan. My favorite would have to be Eccleston. He was so alive throughout every episode. I just liked the way he played the character.
"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear."

—The opening of Puck's epilogue.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Usani on September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM
I started watching Doctor Who on Netflix a few days ago and I am now on Season 2 and I can't get enough of it!  A lot of people have been saying your first Doctor will always be your first love lol and they're right!  I looooooooved the ninth doctor it sucks he was only on for a short amount of time.  Now, don't get me wrong yes I do like the tenth doctor he has a special place as well but the ninth doctor will always be My Doctor <3!  :D

Me too!!  I LOVE Netflix AND Dr Who!!  I had no idea how good it was. I tried to watch some of the old versions of the show and it was just so hoaky I couldn't waste my time but I love it now and feel really bad for mocking it before but I just didn't know!  ::)
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Avis habilis

Watching the sets wobble when an actor bumped into them was part of the charm. That & the streamers that used to blow out of the Daleks' ray guns to let people know when to fall down.

Sabby

Eh, Doctor Who is... Geez, how do I explain this without being lynched by an angry mob?

I don't HATE it... but I do think the new stuff is highly overrated. It has such a devoted fanbase, I feel like it's severe issues get completely ignored. I'll get the positive out of the way first. It does do a much better job of balancing it's silly and dark then most shows. It's by no means perfect, but I've seen it done worse.

Okay, the bad... the Doctor is a terrible character -.- I know I said the show has a good balance of dark and silly, but I don't feel like the Doctor is balanced. They try to portray him as a brooding survivor whose seen too much to ever heal or open up, but his Timelord condition has zero negative side effects, and he's on a constant sugar high. I do get that he keeps people around he can't connect with, and that's about the only legitimate character flaw he has, but the rest just boils down to 'boo hoo, I can't die, I'll get a new face, except when I don't get one, which is when I don't want one. I can die whenever I want to, but immortality is my curse, boo hoo'.

And his silly behaviour is a symptom of the worst problem. The writers are treating you like idiots guys >.> There's a reason the Doctor acts like keys being dangled in front of your face. It's so they can avoid actually explaining anything. Here's an example. The gang are locked up in a room. There's no way to escape. An unknown enemy is coming for them. They sit down and talk a while and then a robotic pig mutant shows up to kill them. Here's what typically happens.

The Doctor will mumble something brilliant, explaining the pig monsters existence and purpose in about 4 words while he 'hacks' the lock with that laserlight. Which he could have done before. A show running at a normal speed couldn't get away with this. You'd be screaming to the roof at the amount of contrived solutions the guy can just fling about. He has a Deus Ex Machina in his pocket. And now they need to kill the Robopig. How does he do it?

Brilliantly! Because there was a computer or something, and now his current lady friend has Timelord DNA, and that let's them reverse the something something on the something shift, because the Mutant's regenerative metabolism is something something reversed and now it eats itself because- no, wait, forget that, he shines his penlight on some cables and dances around yelling THATS IT. How brilliant he is.

And I think this really comes down to the characters premise. He's a 'pacifist action hero'. And that sounds interesting, but really, it just equates to someone who exists on screen, doing nothing proactive, just waiting for the mystery part of the plot to wind down so the SOLVE EVERYTHING button can fall in his lap and everyone can swoon over him when he presses it.

It sucks being a Timelord. You're constantly brilliant, you get to do whatever you want, no one ever makes you explain yourself, and you're just brilliant. It's his curse.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on September 27, 2012, 01:30:50 PM
And I think this really comes down to the characters premise. He's a 'pacifist action hero'. And that sounds interesting, but really, it just equates to someone who exists on screen, doing nothing proactive, just waiting for the mystery part of the plot to wind down so the SOLVE EVERYTHING button can fall in his lap and everyone can swoon over him when he presses it.

It sucks being a Timelord. You're constantly brilliant, you get to do whatever you want, no one ever makes you explain yourself, and you're just brilliant. It's his curse.

This means MacGyver was a Timelord?!  ;D

Sabby

McGyver explains simple tasks in simple form. Bag of gunpowder in a lock. Hit cap. Locks blown open. Simple. He's not...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Watching his is she/isn't she love interest make an entire army of Daleks lose their shit from a random panel because she touched Time and became a sort of Timelord and now has the power of talking really fast to hide the fact she's waving her arms to make magic disguised as sci-fi

Or...

Casually repairing a rocket that's been established as unfixable by shining his Screwdriver at a random cable

Or...

Killing a dozen Cybermen with his Screwdriver after a cliffhanger where he is cornered by them, something he will never use again

Or

The thousands of doors, panels, computers, locks, machines, vehicles and what have you that only get locked/unlocked/fixed when the action starts, yet they're always barred by some kind of door when the plot says they need to be stuck or trapped.

Or...

Those friggen Angels xD That's the biggest one for me. Here's these genuinely creepy weeping statues, no idea what they are, just that they want your soul and they're guna be in your nightmares. Then in comes bounding the Doctor like "Angels? PFFT! Time eating alien something, where ya been? Blimey"

Pretty much every episode boils down to 30 minutes of AWESOME build up, then The Doctor just waves it all away and jangles keys in your face by way of prancing and shouting how SIMPLE it all is! Can't believe I didn't see it before! See what? Do what now? Who cares! He's brilliant :3

Callie Del Noire

Sorry Sabby... we're going to have to stone you. Stand over by that wall while we collect a bunch of rocks. Sorry..has to be done.

Silverfyre

Yeah, it's stonin' time.  If you don't like the show, then don't watch it.

Sabby

1. Never said I didn't like it. 2. That's never a valid defence :P

Silverfyre

Your face.

Totally a valid defense.  :P

Sabby

If I hated Doctor Who, the constant key jingling and Deus Ex Machina wouldn't actually bother me. It's keeping me from enjoying a REALLY good but flawed show, and it boggles my mind how no one picks up on this stuff.

Silverfyre

It's a part of the flavor of the show.  It seems like it has been since day one.  It's a part of its tone and pacing, so I don't think it really should be considering since it is pretty much part of the basis of the show.  ~shrugs~

Sabby

Doesn't change it from being lazy and making the Doctor an unlikeable character :P It's just become easier to point out as the plots get more complex and you see just how many keys they have to jingle to pull off their magic tricks.

Silverfyre

It's lazy and the Doctor is unlikeable?  I find it to be the complete opposite but then again, I rather enjoy the show and how it is written, acted and paced.   I certainly beg to differ but whatever.  Your opinion. 

Star Safyre

I find Dr. Who a great example of when making-it-up-as-you-go-along (both as a character and the writers) actually works.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Star Safyre on September 28, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
I find Dr. Who a great example of when making-it-up-as-you-go-along (both as a character and the writers) actually works.

This.

Usually, I like rigid structure in a series for the sake of continuity, but I'm very much in favor of the more relaxed "let's give this a shot and hope it works" pace of Doctor Who. True, it's not hard sci-fi, but then again, I don't think it was meant to be.
|| the hunt ||

Sabby

Doesn't have to be hard sci-fi, and I'm not opposed to it's tone. I get it, it wants to be both dark and silly, and as I said, it strikes a good balance. My problem, which I've stated once, and always end up repeating every time I have this discussion with Whoovian's, is not what it's doing but the extreme it takes it to. The key jingling that is the Doctors performance is just so overdone it's become the whole show. I forgive key jingling in places. It can be useful. But this isn't the occasional slight of hand to help a plot resolution through, this is "Key Jingling: The Series, starring Dr Brilliant and his trusty magic wand"

If they'd have toned it down, I'd honestly have no problem with the show. I've watched up to season 5 of the current stuff and it just get's more and more ridiculous with how much they're trying to sneak past me as they jiggle their 12 kilo bag of keys in my face.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Sabby on September 28, 2012, 04:16:49 PM
The key jingling that is the Doctors performance is just so overdone it's become the whole show.

Well, the show is called "Doctor Who" so I think it's fair to say he should be a central, prominent part of the show.   ::)

It's also billed as a family program.  "Key jingling" is often a part of such programming so younger viewers can follow along. 

Sabby

Well, guess it's lost some fans then :P I know I'm not the only one who has these issues, but I doubt it'll even notice us gone.

Star Safyre

I'd also agree that many of the side characters (Mickey especially) do a lot of plainly announcing their motivations and emotions.  Characterization isn't always the most subtle aspect of the show.

I think a lot of the things we can harp about being meh about Dr. Who are fixed (or at least better addressed) in Torchwood.

Except for...

Except for the pterodactyl munching on a scantily-clad cyberwoman.

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Sabby

Yeah, I only have my friends recounts of Torchwood, and he despises the hell out of it. Then again, he has my opinions of Dr Who, only taken much more extreme. So I doubt I'd HATE Torchwood... but the idea of a Dr Who spin off trying to be 'srs' does make me kind of scratch my head.

Silverfyre

Maybe watch an episode or two and make a judgment call for yourself?  You might like it.

Callie Del Noire

For Sabby... :D

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" (Stoned to death...)

Consider yourself most smoted.. and no yelling the 'y-word!'

Falanor

I do get that he keeps people around he can't connect with, and that's about the only legitimate character flaw he has, but the rest just boils down to 'boo hoo, I can't die, I'll get a new face, except when I don't get one, which is when I don't want one. I can die whenever I want to, but immortality is my curse, boo hoo'.

Just to make a minor correction.  He isn't immortal.  After 13 regenerations he dies.  Right now we're on 11.  Though apparently the Doctor might have a hidden regeneration in The Valeyard.

Actually he's more of a hero stricken with PTSD and a wicked bad case of Survivors Guilt from The Time War for having done some pretty flipping awful things, such as eliminating his entire race from time as well as almost completely eliminating a second race.

Not all the Timelords are brilliant.  The Doctor was one of their best and brightest, so was The Master.

In the end, if you don't enjoy the writing that's done that's fine and up to you.  No need to go about stoning someone for it.

Fairehawke

Yeah! I am just happy to find more whovians. I felt so alone for the longest time. Suddenly in the last couple of months everyone loves dr. Who I found it funny. I remember being made fun of liking scifi and fantasy. Oh dear i dressed up like Martha jones one year for halloween. Nice to know I have Kin here :)

Avis habilis

Quote from: Fairehawke on September 30, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
Suddenly in the last couple of months everyone loves dr. Who

Suddenly? Some of us have been hooked since the Carter administration, madam!

Oniya

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 08:36:46 AM

I made my scarf in the late 80's, but I was a fan before that.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 08:36:46 AM

Quite so!

Lady Grey

My first doctor was number 10 and I had the biggest crush on him. He is still my favorite. Matt smith is kind of meh and number 9 was rather decent.

Also...I need to make this for the holidays. Weeping Angel tree topper

Avis habilis

You better not pout, you better not cry, & whatever you do, you better not blink!

Moraline

Thanks to this Thread, I decided to give the show a try. I'd seen snippets of the show before but never was really interested. I just didn't see why so many people liked it.

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-fi. It's written in the spirit of old magazines like Weird Tales. I enjoy it's light-hearted fun theme entirely.

I have just started on the Eleventh Doctor(2010) - Matt Smith and he's brilliant.

I'm not sure who does the music for the show either but it's also very good. I would even go so far as to suggest that in many scenes the music is the star of the show.

My personal favorite:
Doctor Who 2010 Prom Music: Track 3

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 01, 2012, 12:33:42 PM
You better not pout, you better not cry, & whatever you do, you better not blink!

Just when I thought it was safe this Christmas...

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2012, 01:56:47 PM
Thanks to this Thread, I decided to give the show a try. I'd seen snippets of the show before but never was really interested. I just didn't see why so many people liked it.

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-fi. It's written in the spirit of old magazines like Weird Tales. I enjoy it's light-hearted fun theme entirely.

Welcome to the fandom. :-) I'm glad someone mentioned the music from the series, too. Some of it is really standout spectacular.
|| the hunt ||

Geeklet

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

I'd like to officially announce that I am a convert. The show is pure campy old school Sci-f

Thats pretty much been my experience too. Well, not this thread specifically, but since I first joined the site, I do remember people talking about it in the shoutbox and such. Just watched an episode here or there when nothing else was on, but eventually the more I watched, the more I liked. Now I've got it set on my DVR.

Falanor

Quote from: Oniya on October 01, 2012, 08:46:29 AM
I made my scarf in the late 80's, but I was a fan before that.

No scarf making with me, but I was watching way past my bed time with my father in the early 80s.  Actually my first experience was watching Troughton become Pertwee.

Silverfyre

I've only recently become a convert through the Ninth Doctor on but I have been hunting down the old episodes and movies to watch.  I loved the First Doctor in "The Aztecs" from 1964.  And why is Jamie, the Highlander, becoming one of my favorite companions? I think it's the kilts.

Vergil1989

I don't know how I originally found the Doctor now, I think I vaguely remember stumbling upon the reboot while channel surfing.  Regardless of how, the Ninth Doctor was my first but I liked David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor far more than this Matt Smith fellow, although he is good in his own way lol.  Especially in the episode where every ally and debt people owed him all gather to take over Demon's Run.  That episode was amazing and sad and just all around epic all at the same time.  And sorry for the spoilers that are about to follow with this video I'm putting up.

Doctor Who: Demon's Run When A Good Man Goes to War
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Mr Bigglesworth

Quote from: Falanor on October 01, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
No scarf making with me, but I was watching way past my bed time with my father in the early 80s.  Actually my first experience was watching Troughton become Pertwee.

I would stay up all night watching in the 80s; I didn't make a scarf, but I got one pretty close to Tom Baker's.

Sublime

I Absolutely adore Doctor Who. I stumbled across the show on an especially late night, fell in love (9th Dr.) and have never looked back. My friends tell me its cheesy, but I think that that's part of the attraction <3333

Sasquatch421

*raises hand* Haven't watched any of the new ones myself, but I was watching in the '80s as well. Mainly because mom always had to watch, but it was a good thing. Come to think of it I believe it was mom that got me hooked on Day's of our Lives as well....

Sublime

Has anybody read the books?

Oniya

Used to have a fairly big collection of the novelizations.  In fact, that's the only reason I know what happened (plot wise) in Logopolis and Castrovalva.  I'd also like to add that I was very disappointed that they named that one after one of Escher's few normal lithographs.

Sublime

How are they?
I saw them at the comic book store the other day...
I wanted them, but I was afraid I may not enjoy them as much as the television series

Which would you have preferred it to be named after?

Oniya

They follow the episodes very well (at least for the ones that I was able to both read and see!) 

After looking through my book on Escher, I think 'Belvedere' fits the episode best.  At first glance, everything seems fine, but then when you look closely, reality takes a hard left on you.

Avis habilis

I used to have dozens of the old Target paperbacks of episodes from Hartnell to Davison. My parents gave them all to a 10-year-old sci-fi loving cousin a while ago, so they went to a good home.

Polymorph

The books released  by the BBC since Dr Who returned a few years back are all original stories rather than being novelisations of aired episodes. They release six per series, featuring whatever companion is with the Doctor for that season. Or in the case of the year he had no companion, a temporary sidekick for each story. They are not written by the same authors who write the series and if you worry about things like canon then they are not as far as I can tell. I'd classify them as fanfiction, but generally good quality fanfiction.

I bought most of them for the first four series then tailed off and stopped. They can be entertaining, but are fairly short and if you are a quick read one will only last you a couple of days at best. This format was also repeated for Torchwood.

Callie Del Noire

I really want to kill the writers.. Just saw the last of Amy/Rory's eps. It's sad.. but good in a way too.

Stella

I am so late to the DW party ... it's timey-wimey ... :p

Agggh I cried so much when the Ponds left. They were my favourite companions. I'm trying to get excited about Oswin/Clara ... I've loved all the companions so far so it stands to reason I'll love her too but I'm having Pond withdrawls already. :/

I've read a few of the books. I was really excited about Martha's story, all about what she did in the year she walked the earth alone. It was really, really poor though. It's a shame it wasn't written better, there's so much potential for what might have happened in that year that never was!

Didact

Quote from: Stella on October 24, 2012, 03:00:23 AM
I am so late to the DW party ... it's timey-wimey ... :p

Agggh I cried so much when the Ponds left. They were my favourite companions. I'm trying to get excited about Oswin/Clara ... I've loved all the companions so far so it stands to reason I'll love her too but I'm having Pond withdrawls already. :/

I've read a few of the books. I was really excited about Martha's story, all about what she did in the year she walked the earth alone. It was really, really poor though. It's a shame it wasn't written better, there's so much potential for what might have happened in that year that never was!

Am I the only one who didn't find the last episode particularly moving?

It wasn't bad. I was just very conscious of the fact that the writers wanted the Ponds out of the way. The convoluted logic preventing the Doctor from seeing them again was so flimsy I found it jarring, and it's so sudden that there's no real time for Smith and Kingston to react in any deep fashion to the Ponds' absence. Compared to episodes like "The Girl Who Waited" - which made me cry like a baby, by the way - it felt shallow.

I like Oswin, though. Beautiful, brilliant, armor-plated and confident; my kind of lady.

Stella

Quote from: Didact on October 26, 2012, 12:21:22 AM
I like Oswin, though. Beautiful, brilliant, armor-plated and confident; my kind of lady.

I'm not sure about her yet. I feel like there wasn't anything too new or interesting about her - we've seen so much of that plucky, flirty attitude from Amy and River. I felt like all of Oswin's lines could easily have come from their mouths, know what I mean? Talking about the Doctor's chin and Rory's nose fencing, encouraging Rory to take his shirt off just for kicks ... I feel like we've seen this before and I really wanted something different.

But! I want to love her, and it really is too early to form lasting opinions, when we don't even know for sure if Oswin is Clara and vice versa!

Is it time for the Christmas special yet?

Usani

WOW!  I never thought this thread would get so many replies/hits.  Now if only I could find someone to do one of my DW roleplay ideas with.  *Le Sigh*  :/

WildCat

Quote from: Didact on October 26, 2012, 12:21:22 AM
Am I the only one who didn't find the last episode particularly moving?

It wasn't bad. I was just very conscious of the fact that the writers wanted the Ponds out of the way. The convoluted logic preventing the Doctor from seeing them again was so flimsy I found it jarring, and it's so sudden that there's no real time for Smith and Kingston to react in any deep fashion to the Ponds' absence. Compared to episodes like "The Girl Who Waited" - which made me cry like a baby, by the way - it felt shallow.

I suspect I was probably choked up at the time. But in retrospect... yeah, not as touching as many. And it does seem to me that new-Who goes a bit too far in justifying why the companions leave. It starts to seem... silly. I guess they were too flip about it in old Who but... some middle ground here. Also, as much as Moffat got as much advance notice as possible to plot out the Ponds leaving... he didn't really seem to do the elaborate long-term planning I'm used to from him.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

Polymorph

Stella

Oniya

Quote from: Usani on October 26, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
WOW!  I never thought this thread would get so many replies/hits.  Now if only I could find someone to do one of my DW roleplay ideas with.  *Le Sigh*  :/

You might want to try linking them, like you have with your others.  I know there are quite a few people who do fandom RP (I'd probably mess up any Doctor after 7, though, no matter how adorable I find some of the newer ones.)

Usani

Quote from: Oniya on October 27, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
You might want to try linking them, like you have with your others.  I know there are quite a few people who do fandom RP (I'd probably mess up any Doctor after 7, though, no matter how adorable I find some of the newer ones.)

Thanks I'll give that a shot!  :D

DW rp ideas- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152448.msg6957405#msg6957405 (Also, to anyone that reads my ideas I will also do a rp with Rose and the 10th Doctor.)

WildCat

Quote from: Usani on October 26, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
I guarantee, there are people on E that are open to DW rp's. Myself, I'm dubious about playing established characters but would certainly be open to non-MarySue OC's in established fandom realities.

Usani

Quote from: WildCat on October 27, 2012, 04:18:36 PM
I guarantee, there are people on E that are open to DW rp's. Myself, I'm dubious about playing established characters but would certainly be open to non-MarySue OC's in established fandom realities.

I thought the same thing but I've had the thread up for 2 months and nothing.  :/

WildCat

Quote from: Usani on October 27, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
I thought the same thing but I've had the thread up for 2 months and nothing.  :/
Can't speak for anyone else, but I rarely actually look at rp idea threads. Usually, I just meet people on social threads and if there seems to be a literary spark there then maybe we talk about rp ideas.

WildCat

Also... I just glanced through request threads and didn't see anything by you. If it's dropped back to the second or third page, maybe people aren't seeing it for that reason?

*researches* yup, page 10. I rarely check rp request threads. I never read all the way down to the tenth page.

Oniya

That's why I always recommend linking in sigs.  It keeps your post 'accessible' to anyone who interacts with you on any thread.

WildCat

That's a great idea. I do that to help more easily follow my rp threads. Also to make it easy for people to access my O/O list.

Sabby

I just gave Season 5 a try... First episode. I know I've been pretty critical of the show, so I'll stress again I don't hate it. I still dislike the key jingling and the over used Deus Ex Machina, but I will totally admit that that was fucking awesome. Episodes like this are what got me through 4 seasons. I just wish it could always be this good.

Now I'm pretty certain I'll hate episode 2, because there's no way I can find two in a row to gush over :P

Theta Sigma

How I haven't already found this topic is beyond me >_> huge fan, have been since I was a kid. I was utterly devastated when I found out the last series was a year before I was born, and when the revival was announced I was bouncing off the walls.

I'm collecting the classic episodes (54 released ones to go before it's complete currently) and avidly awaiting christmas, which can't come fast enough.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Silverfyre

Mm, we just started Season 5 and so far... I'm not a big fan of the 11th Doctor.  I know he is still feeling the role out this early into the season and we are dealing with Moffet now (God, I miss RTD already...) but there just feels like something is missing from the show that the last four seasons had. 

Stella

I was pretty devastated when Ten regenerated - those awful last words just broke my heart. He was also my first Doctor (I'd watched the show a bit as a kid, but only got into it in season 2 of the reboot) so I felt rather attached to him. But I am loving Eleven. I made a list of my 10 least favourite Who episodes for a meme a few months ago, and since there was only one Eleven episode on the list, I take that to mean he's doing pretty well. :p

The episode in question was 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe', btw.

I guess it helps that I really love Moffat's episodes and story arcs in general. But I don't tend to compare him and RTD much; I love both of their directions with a few exceptions. Rose Tyler living happily ever after with Meta Crisis Doctor, that ending was just such a pretty little parcel. >>

Falanor

Smith's Doctor took the longest for me to get into over the other's.  He's a bit more on the spastic side, loony and all, but he grew on me.  The episode that solidified my enjoyment of him as the Doctor was the 'Vincent and the Doctor' episode.

Oniya

Spastic, loony, and grows on you - sounds like Colin. 

Falanor

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2012, 03:50:25 PM

Perhaps...but in my opinion Colin suffered from terrible writers.  Though the Valeyard episode was a fairly fantastic bit of work on their part.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2012, 03:50:25 PM

I could NEVER get into Colin.. I always wanted to slap him with a sledge hammer..

Love And Submission

Out of my top five the favorite episodes of Doctor Who  , four  of them features someone either dying or moving away.

The only one that doesn't is Blink. I guess this show is just really good at saying good bye and it's not even just Nu Who. I list Logopolis up there as well (  I don't know. I think I prefer the End Of Time part 1 and 2 more then logopolis but  I think Logopolis is slightly more important? I don't know.)

For those  wondering , I'd say my favorites are Last Of Time Lords/The Sound of drums , blink , The End of  Time Pt.1/Pt.2  , The Angels Take Manhattan and Logopolis.

I also really dug The Almost People. I'm a sucker for The Eleventh Doctor point Five?
Does he have an offical name?

The Almost Doctor?

Turns out he's called The Ganger Doctor. That's a mouthful.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Stella

End of Time is a different choice on a top five list. Not knocking it at all, you just don't often see that on people's favourites.  : )

dthewaters

I wouldn't say I was an Doctor Who fan, I really only watch the new series, about 2005-onwards, but I try to catch every new episode that airs. My favorite parts of the show. beyond the Doctor himself, is differently the villains of the show, I really like the ideas of the Silence aliens creatures that are the center of a conspiracy and you can only remember them if you are looking directly at them although I do hate their name.

Stella

Why do you hate the name? If you could rename, what would you prefer they be called?

Silverfyre

Hello, another Whovian here!  I was wondering what you all thought of this recent tidbit about the 50th anniversary special.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

Stella

It actually blew my mind, so until the pieces get back together I have no idea what I think of it, lol.

Silverfyre

Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand on it.  I mean, I am definitely raising an eyebrow at the whole thing and wondering if it is just Moffet's way of saying "Well, fuck you!" to Eccleston for passing on being in the special.  I have a bad feeling about this but I want to wait and see too. 

Stella

I wouldn't want to think that it's a callous choice. I love what Moffat's done with most of his time as show-runner and most of the time I'm delighted with the reveals. *Big, bracing breath* So. I must have hope that it's going to be just as terrific this time round.

Though if he finds some new way to break River's heart I may have to go after him. SHE'S BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH, MOFFAT.

Silverfyre

Meh. I'm an old curmudgeon who misses the days of RTD (and far before that.  I wish I could find more of the Third Doctor on DVD!).  River Song disappeared into Mary Sue territory for me and I just can't stand the character.  Alex Kingston does the best she can and I love her to death but the character of Dr. Song got exhaustive in season six.  Move on, do something new... but really, does he need to add a whole other doctor just to throw in one more?  It just seems ridiculous.

Stella

I started watching with RTD and have only gone back and started watching Classic Who in the last few months. (What I've seen of Three is brilliant!) I hate all the RTD vs Moffat stuff that goes on in fandom. They're both great, they're different, but on the whole I've been enjoying Moffat more. Which didn't surprise me, since I discovered all my favourite RTD era episodes were written by Moffat, lol.

I'm just looking forward to it and trying not to speculate or expect too much. I'm pretty sure given my track record that I'm going to love it - and probably cry. Definitely cry.

Clara I just can't warm to, though. I can't tell if it's the character or the actress...

Silverfyre

I have enjoyed the majority of Moffat's work on the series but at times, it feels like he is more interested in trying to be as over-the-top as possible when compared to other writers.  But yeah, there really shouldn't be any "feuding" when it comes to who is the better show leader.  I feel people can have opinions on it and preferences but I also roll my eyes at the mentality of "RTD or GTFO!" or vice versa. 

Dr. Who always has a way of punching you right in the feels. 

Aislinn

Another Whovian dropping in!

I started watching Dr.Who several years ago...right about the time Tennant took the reins. Tennant will always be 'my' doctor. I confess I've not seen anything of the older series and am just working off the work of Eccleston, Tennant and Smith....but I think Tennant had the best grasp of the role and material. Not to say Smith hasn't had some great moments. I was not a fan of Eccleston.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Silverfyre

I think you have to watch the whole series of "New Who" to really get an appreciation for the gravity of the Ninth Doctor's character.  The intensity of hatred he has for the Daleks, the contempt and endless admiration he has for humans... it all comes together brilliantly once you see just what the Time War did to him.  I always loved Nine, especially after seeing "Father's Day" and "The Empty Child".

Aislinn

I've watched all the "New Who"...and really tried to like Nine. I think perhaps it was something that just hit me wrong about him...or even my undying love for Ten. It took me a long time to warm up to Eleven. Companions I'm a bit easier on. I think about the only companion I didn't like was Martha Jones....and her story arc just didn't ever make sense to me.

Favorite episode? Girl in the Fireplace...
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Silverfyre

To each their own!  Ten is also my favorite but Tom Baker will always hold a special place in my heart since he was my first Doctor that I watched when I was really young and went through my uncle's video collection of Dr. Who tapes.  Besides, DAT SCARF!

Ten and Donna are my favorite Doctor/Companion mesh-up.  I love Liz Shaw too and Clara is growing on me.  "Girl in the Fireplace" also happens to be my favorite episode, aside from "The Empty Child". 

Geeklet

I don't know what it is, but Donna just irritated the everloving crap out of me.

Stella

I loved Nine. I mean, you've gotta love a Doctor who'll just kick a door in to get inside a room.... :p

Oh god, favourite episode ... that is too hard. That one definitely ranks in my favourites though Aislinn. Also 'The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang', 'Blink', 'Midnight', 'The Eleventh Hour' ... I just can't choose. And add 'Nightmare in Silver' to that partial list...

Ten was my first Doctor but he and Eleven share the mantle as my favourites.

Silverfyre

"The Doctor's Wife".  Neil Gaiman needs to do more Dr. Who episodes.

Stella

^Oh yes, definitely, that one too. XD

Oniya

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 13, 2013, 09:05:57 AM
To each their own!  Ten is also my favorite but Tom Baker will always hold a special place in my heart since he was my first Doctor that I watched when I was really young and went through my uncle's video collection of Dr. Who tapes.  Besides, DAT SCARF!

'Dat scarf' got me through my first semester of Calculus in college.  About three days in, I realized I'd already taken the material in 11th grade, so I taught myself to knit.  Large class, back row, yarn and needles under the desk, and I could answer any question the teacher asked.

Aislinn

"Blink"...that's another one of my favorites! How could I forget the weeping angels?!?

I admit that every piece of the Dr.Who puzzle has its purpose and place. I'm a Rose Tyler fan...and I think her chemistry with Ten was amazing although she irritated me at times. I think they all had good and bad episodes.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Silverfyre

I guess the lesson of the Whovian Day is that each Doctor, Companion and writer has their own "bad" and "good" moments.  Let's just enjoy the fandom as a whole and hope the end of this season is epic.

And you win all the reversed polarities for that story, Oniya.

Stella

Quote from: Oniya on May 13, 2013, 09:11:01 AM
'Dat scarf' got me through my first semester of Calculus in college.  About three days in, I realized I'd already taken the material in 11th grade, so I taught myself to knit.  Large class, back row, yarn and needles under the desk, and I could answer any question the teacher asked.

Hahaha! Beautiful.

Moraline

Quote from: Geeklet on May 13, 2013, 09:07:54 AM
I don't know what it is, but Donna just irritated the everloving crap out of me.
Yes to this. I'm not a fan of her standup comedy either. She's an annoying shrill whiny bitch.

Other then that, I've liked every companion and all 3 Doctor's since 2005.  I didn't start watching it until the 11th but then I went back and watched them all until I caught up and I've been watching them ever since.

I like each of them for their own reasons.

I like the 9th intensity and his interactions with Rose really got me hooked on the concept of the companion.
The 10th was good all around but his companion hoping and eventual crash landing into Donna turned my stomach. (I really liked Martha.) I was also upset with the show for losing Rose but I suppose it had to happen.
The 11th is my favorite because of his quirky goofy personality. He keeps me laughing, although I have a hard time sometimes taking him seriously when he makes his "intense" face. Also, I really liked Amy a lot, she was fun.

Falanor

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 13, 2013, 09:09:28 AM
"The Doctor's Wife".  Neil Gaiman needs to do more Dr. Who episodes.
Well he did write Nightmare in Silver.  I think he'll write an episode a season at most, though I'd love to see more.

Stella

Quote from: Falanor on May 13, 2013, 09:40:19 AM
Well he did write Nightmare in Silver.  I think he'll write an episode a season at most, though I'd love to see more.

He wrote on his Tumblr that he wouldn't be doing any more for awhile, as he doesn't have time to commit to the process. :(

Silverfyre

I knew "Nightmare in Silver" was Gaiman's before I even seen the opener.  It reeked positively of his style.  It is definitely my favorite episode so far from the second half of season 7.

Callie Del Noire

Here is a good one.. can you recall your FIRST Doctor Who moment?

John Cleese & Eleanor Bron cameo - Doctor Who: City of Death

It was on BBC.. literally the FIRST thing my TV in Newtownforbes, Ireland got with the new 3 story tv antenna that we got.

Oniya

I remember it was on Maryland Public Television (MPT 22), it was Tom Baker, and fairly certain it was Sarah Jane and Harry as companions.  I was also in high school, so further details are quite hazy.

Falanor

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 13, 2013, 12:38:58 PM
Doctor Who: William Hartnell Regeneration
Mine was catching Hartnell regenerating into Troughton.  I saw that and my brain was instantly hooked.  It helped that my dad made a deal with me that I could stay up past my bedtime if I spent it watching it on PBS with him.

Dovel

Doctor Who - Would You Like a Jelly Baby?

I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor. After all these years he is still my favorite.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Falanor on May 13, 2013, 03:24:17 PM
Doctor Who: William Hartnell Regeneration
Mine was catching Hartnell regenerating into Troughton.  I saw that and my brain was instantly hooked.  It helped that my dad made a deal with me that I could stay up past my bedtime if I spent it watching it on PBS with him.

You're lucky..there are only a handful of Hartnell eps out there. Lord knows how much was lost.

Falanor

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 13, 2013, 07:56:21 PM
You're lucky..there are only a handful of Hartnell eps out there. Lord knows how much was lost.

I really, REALLY wish they would do something about that.  Either in print or maybe audiodramas...hell even that proposed animated series would have been interesting to see them redo the old, lost episodes.

Stella

^ This.

I'd love to see more Troughton, too. I think most of his were destroyed? I've only seen him in The Five Doctors and he was pretty much my favourite part of the whole episode.

Callie Del Noire

One site I read said just under 1/2 of them (something like 102 or so of 220-something) were wiped to cut on storage/materials.

dthewaters

Quote from: Stella on May 13, 2013, 05:04:50 AM
Why do you hate the name? If you could rename, what would you prefer they be called?

I don't really hate the name, I just hate that what was foreshadowing them was the phase, "Silence Will Fall." I didn't hate that either, but being two season arc words, I was expecting something bigger, instead we got a new species of aliens taking over Earth, basically what we've already got before. If possible I wouldn't even name them anything make them all the more horrifying or at least make an allusion to shadows, as they were constantly in the shadows of human history.

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 13, 2013, 06:27:38 AM
Hello, another Whovian here!  I was wondering what you all thought of this recent tidbit about the 50th anniversary special.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

I had a more WTF reaction to this. Felt one of the comments had it right, Steven Moffat had gone mad with power. Not that I don't enjoy his work.

My favorite Who episodes from the new series is of course The Girl in the Fireplace but I also enjoyed all the episodes with The Master in them.

The Golden Touch

-Drops off an awesome Dr. Who GIF-

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Polymorph

So, big new news for Dr Who. Matt Smith is bowing out of the show after the Christmas special. Who do you all rate for the next regeneration of the Doctor? Are we going to see the time lord regenerate into a female as has been confirmed as possible in the series or will that be too much of a leap for Whovians? Dame Helen Mirren and Olivia Colman are two of the names being touted for the next Doctor.

Oniya

The idea of having a female Doctor has been bandied about before - during the Golden Age of Who, I think it was Tom Baker who wished the next Doctor good luck 'whoever he or she might be' as he stepped down.  If it wasn't Tom, it was Peter Davidson.

Stella

Not a fan of having a female Doctor tbqh. After all this time, I feel like it'd be gimmicky. I'd also prefer an unknown, or relatively unknown actor in the part.

Aggh. So many feels today.

SweetSerenade

Anyone have any CONFIRMED links where Matt Says he's bowing out? Because at his last big interview he said he was staying on till 2014. I don't think he's stepping out after the Christmas special... And I really don't think that the weird dude is his next regeneration, I think he's something else entirely... they call him the 'Doctor' but that is the weird thing... The Valeyard was created FROM The Doctor, the Valeyard IS The Doctor.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Stella

SpiralSpider

The 9th Doctor was my first and favorite as well. It's sad that I'm hearing of a new trend of people skipping him and going right to Tennant. :/

I don't like Matt's take on things so much... I hope #12 will be a bit more serious.
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Usani

Quote from: Stella on June 01, 2013, 11:18:31 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who
^ Straight from the horse's mouth, statements from Moffat and Smith.

*cries* I'm seeing sad meme's all over facebook about this!  I don't want him to leeeave but then again after the death of the Ponds I can't see him with any other companions!

Polymorph

A few tidbits of information that are out on the 50th anniversary special in November.

David Tennent and Billie Piper will be reprising their roles and appearing in the special. John Hurt will play a previously unknown incarnation of the Doctor. The Zygons are making a return to Dr Who. Elizabeth the first will be making an appearance. On location filming in London included Trafalger square and the tower of London. UNIT will be making a return

Snickerz

I was into the original Dr. Who, I've never really gotten into the new ones.

dthewaters

I was enjoying Matt Smith's version but oh well stuff always ends sooner or later and I hope the next doctor will be as enjoyable.

WildCat

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 13, 2013, 12:38:58 PM
My first memory of hearing it mentioned was hearing public television advertise for "The Five Doctors" and think it was about five different people with doctorates in different disciplines. My first viewing experience was Terror of the Autons. It must have been a good couple months before I saw an episode *without* Roger DelGado.

Sabby

I just heard the best term for time paradox. A Doctor Hoop.

Stella

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on September 29, 2013, 05:27:11 AM

Yes!

Sabby

Florence

I am going to repeatedly punch Netflix until they add more Doctor Who. Both the modern series AND the classic series are woefully lacking on there. AND I NEED TO CATCH UP IN TIME FOR THE ANNIVERSARY Dx

As for Smith leaving... honestly, he was alright, but as much as he grew on me, he will always working in the shadow of David Tennant, who was just absolutely perfect as the Doctor. I mean, I love the Fourth too, having gone back and watch classic Who, but... Tennant will always be MY Doctor. There's just something about the fanboy passion he brought to the role that really can't be beat.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the Twelfth is, though :>
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

akaiakamai

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 20, 2012, 12:13:09 PM

I was mad about Tom Baker's Doctor Who--got to meet and interview him, back in my reporter days. And he was just as mad as the character! What a day that was, trying to keep up with that man. His real world was just as magical as the show.
Akaia Kamai

Oniya

Quote from: akaiakamai on September 29, 2013, 01:38:35 PM
I was mad about Tom Baker's Doctor Who--got to meet and interview him, back in my reporter days. And he was just as mad as the character! What a day that was, trying to keep up with that man. His real world was just as magical as the show.

I misinterpreted that at first - I had to translate it into American.  ;D   I am also intensely envious of you at the moment.  ;)

akaiakamai

You know...I totally understand. He's a remarkable man and deserves his loyal following. A bit mad, to be sure--in a good way, though! Returning to the "real" world was very difficult. What it must be like to live as he does--talk about "blurred lines," that guy moves between the real and make believe worlds with impressive ease. And leaves the rest of us breathless and wondering, "What just happened?!"
Akaia Kamai

Oniya

For some reason, I always had the impression that he wasn't exactly pretending too hard.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd ended his run as the Doctor with a departure along the lines of Anthony Geary in UHF - leaving the studio and then returning to his home planet in a beam of light.

Moraline

I don't envy the next Doctor. Coming in after Tennant and Smith would be a really hard act to follow. Where do you go from there? Tennant and Smith in my opinion covered all of the best qualities of the Doctor. The new person will have their work cut out for them.  In my opinion, they should have went with a female Doctor - it would have been easier and a more exciting new approach.

Falanor

Quote from: Moraline on October 01, 2013, 07:55:16 PM
I don't envy the next Doctor. Coming in after Tennant and Smith would be a really hard act to follow. Where do you go from there? Tennant and Smith in my opinion covered all of the best qualities of the Doctor. The new person will have their work cut out for them.  In my opinion, they should have went with a female Doctor - it would have been easier and a more exciting new approach.
Eh, not that hard.  >:)

In all seriousness, Capaldi is a fantastic actor and I'm thrilled to see what he'll do with the role.  As for the best qualities, why does the new Doctor have to be better qualities instead of a possible decent into madness?  I suspect we'll see a turn back to a more intellectual Doctor, but I can see Capaldi brimming with a way too dark side to his role.

Stella

^ I agree with all of that. Capaldi is going to be incredible.

Oniya

Quote from: Falanor on October 01, 2013, 10:12:06 PM
As for the best qualities, why does the new Doctor have to be better qualities instead of a possible decent into madness? 

Hey, it worked for Colin.

Who's that snickering in the back?

Stella

Not me! Colin's my favourite classic Doctor. Haters to the left and off the cliff, kthnx. :P

Falanor

ToriJ

My descent into Doctor Who began with video footage from "Blink" introducing me to the Weeping Angels. After watching some scenes of Matt Smith as The Doctor I decided to give the series a watch starting with Series 5 and I never looked back. Watched all of Series 5 and 6, the first half of 7 as it was available and then went back to the watch the rest of the relaunched from 2005 on up. I even managed to find the very first episode on Dailymotion and got to see William Hartnell in action. A few months back, during his birthday no less, I watched the first Doctor story starring Jon Pertwee. My favorites out of the ones I have seen goes in this order 11, 10, 1, 3, 9. And I know, I'm a terrible person for not having watched any of Tom Baker episodes yet.

Quote from: Sabby on September 29, 2013, 05:27:11 AM

Where's the like button? :-(