What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on January 15, 2016, 12:44:46 PM
At the same time, government-friendly media are likening the EU's criticism of the PiS government to the actions of Hitler and Katherine the Great...  ::)

(Yeah, I got nothin'.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Yeah, they seem to suggest that the EU's actions are a violation of our independence etc.

Oh, and absurdly enough, a few of the PiS politicians actually claimed recently that Germany has no right to make comments about the state of Polish democracy, as Germans elected Hitler back in the 1930s...  ::)

TheGlyphstone

Germany is probably the only country with the right to make comments about Polish democracy. Yes, they elected Hitler, and look what happened to them afterwards. They've got the most first-hand experience out of anyone as to what happens after you put a fascist in charge.

Song

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 15, 2016, 08:16:37 PM
Germany is probably the only country with the right to make comments about Polish democracy. Yes, they elected Hitler, and look what happened to them afterwards. They've got the most first-hand experience out of anyone as to what happens after you put a fascist in charge.

I wouldn't say the only country, but yes, I would agree that if any government is qualifed to comment on the situation in Poland, it would be the German one.

These regimes of course would wish to silence any criticism.
My RP requests: Join the Space gldiators in Requiem For Mankind

O/O

Beorning

I agree - considering their experience, Germans do have the right to comment on the dangers of non-democracy.

I wonder if playing the WW2 card isn't just a way for PiS to distract the people in Poland from paying attention to what the foreign critics say. Many people here who sympathize with PiS still don't like Germans because of the past - so, PiS might be trying to use this fear to stop these people from considering the EU's arguments. "Pay no attention! It's just those evil Germans again! They hate all of us!"

Iniquitous

Woman claiming to be a teacher arrested with three children in her trunk and six more inside the car.

This is about ten minutes from me.  It has already been determined that the woman is not a teacher in this county and no one has released exactly what she was doing with 9 children that were not her own in the car on a Sunday evening.  I do know that there is a speculation among those who live here that she is involved in human trafficking.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Mithlomwen

Speaking as a mother, that news is beyond terrifying. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

gaggedLouise

An intriguing piece of science news: for the first time there is a reliable measurement of the spinning rate of a black hole. Most of us have heard of how black holes are invisible because their gravity can pull back even light, but this one has an amazing side property: it's *rotating* near the speed of light too! (For comparison, the speed of the sun moving relative to other stars nearby in the Milky Way is about 1/15.000 of the speed of light...).

This particular black hole is of the really heavyweight kind, and located in a galaxy far, far away, but there's a similar beast at the centre of the Milky Way too, and maybe at the heart of most large galaxies...

*headspin*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

That actually makes sense when you think about it.  Angular momentum is conserved, just like when an ice skater extends or pulls in their arms to control a spin.  As the matter comprising the black hole gets closer and closer to the singularity, the spin is going to increase.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

This is absolutely fascinating! This news makes the black holes seem even more awesome and eldritch than before...

Beorning

Unfortunately, I don't have an English-language link for this, but I'll share a news bit that's so... bizarre and grotesque that it really made me headdesk. Unsurprisingly, it's related to the new Polish government.

Basically, the Ministry of Enviroment just pulled the TV PSA promoting trash segregation for recycling purposes that was created under the previous government. Why?

.... because it features two cooking-related male celebrities. And one of them is gay.

The new people in charge of the Ministry of Enviroment went on record saying that the fact that there was a gay person in this PSA, with no "mother figure" being present, means that the PSA was covertly promoting "gender ideology". Meanwhile, the Ministry of Enviroment is now strongly for tradition, family and Christian values.

My God   :o

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on January 22, 2016, 11:54:45 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have an English-language link for this, but I'll share a news bit that's so... bizarre and grotesque that it really made me headdesk. Unsurprisingly, it's related to the new Polish government.

Basically, the Ministry of Enviroment just pulled the TV PSA promoting trash segregation for recycling purposes that was created under the previous government. Why?

.... because it features two cooking-related male celebrities. And one of them is gay.

The new people in charge of the Ministry of Enviroment went on record saying that the fact that there was a gay person in this PSA, with no "mother figure" being present, means that the PSA was covertly promoting "gender ideology". Meanwhile, the Ministry of Enviroment is now strongly for tradition, family and Christian values.

My God   :o

I feel this is appropriate.

Easiest way to take control without argument, start out by targeting "Those people" because no one cares about "Those people" until its too late and they are going after "You People".

It disgusts me. I feel my faith being perverted for someone's politics and it makes me unclean.

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/soldiers-will-stand-guard-at-tomb-of-unknowns-through-historic-storm/ar-BBoArG7?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

Several Soldiers will be clearing out the snow and maintaining Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, even in this terrible blizzard they will be doing their duty. *Trying so hard not to hurl insults at politicians*

My heart and prayers go out to the men who will be at the tomb through the blistering cold and harsh snow and ice. The finest men this country has to offer, and with more steel than any battleship. They are an example to all of what we should strive to be. Honorable, duty bound and willing to give for others.

Beorning

I agree. I've seen soldiers keeping guard watches at memorials in bad weather conditions... this must be an extremily hard thing to do.

BTW. I found an English-language link for the trash segregation story... sort of:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/42ap7r/polish_minister_of_environments_cancels_a_series/

Zakharra

Not to be too alarmist, Beoring, but have you given any thought to what you will do if the Polish government goes full Polish Nazi retard as they seem intent on doing (with a heavy Catholic religious twist on things)? It seems like the PiS* Polish government is fully intent on imposing a heavily theologian state on Poland. I am starting to get worried for you and the modern and moderate people in Poland.

* I have decided the Law and Order Party(Pi) is the Pigs in Shit Party, given what they are doing to Poland. They are as happy as a pig in shit, as the saying goes.

Beorning

Well, it depends on what you understand by going "full Nazi".

Personally, I don't see them literally doing the same things the Nazis did, i.e. arresting the opposition, stopping the elections from happening etc. What I can see them doing is making the country authoritarian: limiting the oppositions power, using the state media for propaganda, curtailing the rights of the minorities etc.

What will I do, if that happens? Most probably, I'd try to wait them out and hope that the nations kicks them out of the office during the next elections. But, of course, that might not come, if the PiS propaganda turns out to be successful... :(

Zakharra

I see them as doing pretty much what you just said;  laying blame on other groups for any problems the country is facing (gays, lesbians, foreigners and such), pushing heavily, the Catholic doctrine/morals they seem to be (to the extent of effectively making them the law of the country, unofficially), saying anyone in Poland that are against them are traitors to Poland, and trying to curtail the rights and ability of the opposition to run for elections (I honestly do see them making some attempt to make sure they will not be able to be voted out/removed from power). Not necessarily to the extent the Nazis did, but taking more than a few steps along the same road as the Nazis, purely for the good of Poland you understand... (unfortunately, you can put a LOT of crap and bad things under that label.).

Beorning

Well, all above is true to an extent. For instance, PiS might be planning on changing the voting laws sooner or later - and, if that happens, I suspect they'll be trying to make it harder for the people to vote them out... Still, I'd really be careful with the Nazi comparisons.

BTW. New protests took place over the weekend:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35392526

gaggedLouise

Lustful Bride

Female Dancer who lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing vows to finish the race.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dancer-who-lost-leg-in-boston-marathon-bombings-will-run-it/ar-BBoM2vC?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

I love when people can hold up a middle finger to terrorism and say "You wont break me!"

Lustful Bride

Armed Man with two handguns on him, was arrested in Disneyland Paris while attempting to enter the park.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/armed-man-arrested-at-disneyland-paris/ar-BBoOXZK?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

*unsure of gun laws in France* Farmers are the only civilians allowed weapons right?

Edit: I ask because if so then im ready to automatically say this guy was up to no good.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 28, 2016, 11:28:52 AM
Armed Man with two handguns on him, was arrested in Disneyland Paris while attempting to enter the park.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/armed-man-arrested-at-disneyland-paris/ar-BBoOXZK?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp

*unsure of gun laws in France* Farmers are the only civilians allowed weapons right?

Edit: I ask because if so then im ready to automatically say this guy was up to no good.

Well, any civilian in France (or in Sweden, where I'm from) can own guns and rifles legally if they have a license for hunting or for shooting sport - I figure the latter are issued by pistol shooting clubs and the like. Fully automatic rifles are outlawed for civilians, and semi-automatics require special grade licenses. Apparently the guy at Eurodisney was also carrying a copy of the Qu'ran, which makes the whole incident look fairly suspicious...

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on January 28, 2016, 04:11:37 PM
Well, any civilian in France (or in Sweden, where I'm from) can own guns and rifles legally if they have a license for hunting or shooting sport - I figure the latter are issued by pistol shooting clubs and the like. Fully automatic rifles are outlawed for civilians, and semi-automatics require special grade licenses. Apparently the guy at Eurodisney was also carrying a copy of the Qu'ran, which makes the whole incident look fairly suspicious...

That doesn't sound too far removed from US laws (Depending on the State)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 28, 2016, 04:16:26 PM
That doesn't sound too far removed from US laws (Depending on the State)

*nods* I suppose the big difference is that there aren't some regions of either country where absolutely anyone can buy almost any kind of gun they want, without any checks or controls, as in some US states - and the gun lobby groups being much weaker here. (Well, illegally they could, but any country has a black market for guns)

gaggedLouise

Apparently the two guns that guy had on him were very small-calibre pistols, not heavyweight guns, rifles or Smith and Wessons. The police are treating it as more of a bizarre criminal case than any kind of attempt at terrorism.  C:)