James Mattis's Resignation Letter

Started by Vekseid, December 21, 2018, 01:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

https://twitter.com/cjf39/status/1075882205866409985

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE 1000 DEFENSE PENTAGON WASHINGTON, DC 20301-1000

December 20, 2018

Dear Mr. President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.

I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.

One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.

Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model —gaining veto authority over other nations' economic, diplomatic, and security decisions — to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability within the Department.

I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.

I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects... damn.

Orval Wintermute

Strange I thought Mattis was retiring  ::)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075878792168685568

General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years. During Jim’s tenure, tremendous progress has been made, especially with respect to the purchase of new fighting equipment. General Mattis was a great help to me in getting allies and other countries to pay their share of military obligations. A new Secretary of Defense will be named shortly. I greatly thank Jim for his service!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on December 21, 2018, 06:43:49 AM
Strange I thought Mattis was retiring  ::)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075878792168685568

General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years. During Jim’s tenure, tremendous progress has been made, especially with respect to the purchase of new fighting equipment. General Mattis was a great help to me in getting allies and other countries to pay their share of military obligations. A new Secretary of Defense will be named shortly. I greatly thank Jim for his service!

Yeah, it's Fake News that he chose to leave because he saw the rift in outlook between him and Trump widening all the time - or so I guess. :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Mattis is a Marine, a war leader and one of a breed that is tragically low in volume.  Do I agree with Sec Mattis’ outlook, mostly. I agree whole heartedly with his view on our allies and the threats we face in the form of China an Russia.  The President is a shortsighted fool and opportunistic SOB who is destabilizing the world balance of power.

If unchecked, the continued loss of standing and influence by the US that we have seen in this century will lead to war. I can see Russian land grabs in Eastern Europe, either by proxy leaders or outright invasion, China moving on Taiwan and the resurgence of ISIS within a decade to a decade an a half

Oniya

Quote from: General Jim MattisThat is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

Leaps off the page, promptly leaving an earworm for those of us who watched 1970's Saturday morning cartoons.  Trump probably can't get past 'We the people' (because he's thinking 'I, the President'.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

I'm sure he stayed as long as he could but once he became uncomfortable with Trump's actions he had to leave.  Trump has a way of blaming others for what goes wrong when he makes decisions and Mattis has a history that shouldn't be attacked or left in doubt by someone who is nothing more than an idiot.

I read and article with 17 quotes offered up by Mattis and feel he might have been getting close to wanting to do away with the president.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 21, 2018, 12:41:35 PM
I'm sure he stayed as long as he could but once he became uncomfortable with Trump's actions he had to leave.  Trump has a way of blaming others for what goes wrong when he makes decisions and Mattis has a history that shouldn't be attacked or left in doubt by someone who is nothing more than an idiot.

I read and article with 17 quotes offered up by Mattis and feel he might have been getting close to wanting to do away with the president.

I think this quote shows a good insight into why he coudlnt stay anymore.

QuotePriebus called an end to the meeting. Mattis seemed completely deflated.

Trump got up and walked out.

All the air seemed to have come out of Tillerson. He could not abide Trump’s attack on the generals. The president was speaking as if the U.S. military was a mercenary force for hire. If a country wouldn’t pay us to be there, then we didn’t want to be there. As if there were no American interests in forging and keeping a peaceful world order, as if the American organizing principle was money.

“Are you okay?” Cohn asked him.

“He’s a fucking moron,” Tillerson said so everyone heard.
— 
Fear: Trump in the White House, by Bob Woodward

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on December 21, 2018, 11:35:59 AM
Leaps off the page, promptly leaving an earworm for those of us who watched 1970's Saturday morning cartoons.  Trump probably can't get past 'We the people' (because he's thinking 'I, the President'.)

Dammit Oniya, now I've got Schoolhouse Rock songs stuck in my head! ;D

HannibalBarca

“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu