News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Great, my grandmother's computer has a Virus...

Started by Wolfy, July 11, 2012, 09:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

She has MacAfree Antivirus. Currently got it in Safe mode running a full scan.

Anything else that I could try? I can try running Malware Bytes on it to see if that takes care of it...It's something called Windows Platinum Security or something like that.

Edit: So I found out that malware bytes can remove it, quite easily actually.

now I need to just know if malware Bytes and Macafree will work on the same computer without exploding. >_>

Oniya

MBAM hasn't given me any trouble running with my antivirus - if it does, then set up a schedule (even if it's just noting it on the kitchen calendar) to run MBAM once or twice a month.  Make sure Grandma updates her virus definitions frequently, too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Just looking around, it seems that McAfree and Malware Bytes don't exactly get along..<_<>_>

Oniya

Then leave one of them to load on startup, and run the other one manually once or twice a month.  Even once a week, if that makes it easier to remember.  (Like, if grandma goes to church/bridge-club/skydiving every Sunday, she can hit the full scan on the non-automatic one, and by the time she gets back, it'll just be finishing up.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wolfy

Got it.

Good news is, I removed the virus, and Malware Bytes/McAfree seems to be working fine.

Other good news is, I also managed to remove about 119 pieces of various malware, including about 6 trojans. >_>

...Soooo....hurrrah!

Oniya

:o  Teach your grandmother about safe surfing.  Please.  Do it now.   :o

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on July 11, 2012, 10:58:20 PM
:o  Teach your grandmother about safe surfing.  Please.  Do it now.   :o

Oh you.

......@_@