Ex Machina (Exalted Custom Setting)

Started by Elohim, September 21, 2009, 04:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elohim

Humanity has left the confines of earth long ago, leaving the cradle of existence for the outer rim.  The places outside of known space,  and what they have encountered there was like nothing even their wildest dreams were capable of envisioning.  It seems,  that existence, is nothing more the whim of some sort of divine computer program.  That humanity has simply dubbed “The God Machine.”  It’s whims are seemingly inscrutable,  and it has made no attempt to allow humanity to understand it.  Though, it has seemingly taken a great interest in their existence.   

Since mankind has reached out to the stars,  odd…  things have begun to manifest.  Machines seemingly born from the stuff of the ether itself,  thinking, sentient mechanical organisms.  They have been given no designation, but they are manifestations of the god machine placed in a seemingly human body capable of great feats,  once thought outside the realm of possibility.   While their power seems to be immeasurable their purpose is clear.  Existence,  known and unknown is in peril and they are to act as its saviors.  They seem to posses free will,  and are fully capable of acting as independent beings, removed from their original creator.   

They are not the only strange forces the prowl the stars,  sentient holograms made of hard energy have begun to emerge.  They act as the keeper  of the God Machines rule,  they make sure that the universe is running in its proper order.  They are there  too enforced the proverbial norm,  a small section of them are beginning to rail against the God Machine’s choice of creating its mechanical champions as they seem to break the very rules of existence wherever they stride,  and their free will coupled with unrivaled power makes them tyrants just waiting to come into their own.

Humanity has its own oddities to offer,  the imbued are human’s who have somehow been empowered by one of the elements of earth and given great strength.  What they lack in power they make up for with numbers,  lastly a few humans have under gone a strange fusion with ancient spirits of earth who are attempting to adapt to their new existence.  They have become half human and half machine, their adaptability is unrivaled, and they are masters of transformation. 

These, beings….  Are all that stands between the mad dreams of sleeping ancients,  and the hungry maw of oblivion.  Will they be left uncorrupted by their new found power and will?  Will they keep the stars burning bright,  or will they plummet to earth,  and simply act as another catalyst for its destruction.

OOC

In short I will be attempting to run a sci-fi version of exalted.  I’m currently reworking some charms and artifacts,  and getting a bit of the crunch under control.  If there are any questions,  please ask…  I’ll see if I can answer  them.  Right now,  I’m not looking for character sheets…  but instead merely characters,  as I’m not quite sure how much crunch I’m going to be altering.

HairyHeretic

Interesting concept. What exalts do you figure on using, and what are their sci fi equivalents?

If you have the 1st ed Alchemicals book you may find that quite useful here.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

This is a pretty neat idea, I would like to participate. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mnemaxa

Well, here's a second taker, so we'll see.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

GrinningHound

Raveled

Oooo, Exalted are always fun.  Still room in this?

EDIT: Quick Q: How are Lunars being handled, exactly?  The description of them makes it sound more like elementals than animals.  Will the spirit forms still be animals, or elemental?
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman