Vampire: The Masquerade - DC By Night

Started by Nicolae, March 23, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolae

@Miroque: The DC Kindred population, at least from Camarilla and Independent clans who are known to the Camarilla, is around 100-125. The most numerous clans are the Ventrue and probably Malkavian or Nosferatu, but with most of the other Camarilla clans close behind. The exception is the Toreador, which still have not recovered from an event in which the late Prince Marissa purged those in the Toreador who she perceived to be "dissidents" about sixty years ago.

Interestingly enough, it's also frowned upon to even go near most members of Congress, let alone to ghoul them. Prince Marissa drew ire from the Camarilla in Europe for the way she would try to directly manipulate national politics to suit herself. It's suspected that it may be part of the reason the Giovanni had her killed, and since then, the Camarilla has had a ban on anyone ghouling or embracing anyone on the scale of Congressman or higher. You want a ghoul on their staff? Cool. You want to meddle in city politics? Cool. But nothing on the national level.
O/O   Ideas

AndyZ

Well, Jo certainly can't help it if they come to the Cat's Eye or request girls for dances >.>
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Calrond on March 27, 2014, 05:07:52 PM
@Miroque: The DC Kindred population, at least from Camarilla and Independent clans who are known to the Camarilla, is around 100-125. The most numerous clans are the Ventrue and probably Malkavian or Nosferatu, but with most of the other Camarilla clans close behind. The exception is the Toreador, which still have not recovered from an event in which the late Prince Marissa purged those in the Toreador who she perceived to be "dissidents" about sixty years ago.

Interestingly enough, it's also frowned upon to even go near most members of Congress, let alone to ghoul them. Prince Marissa drew ire from the Camarilla in Europe for the way she would try to directly manipulate national politics to suit herself. It's suspected that it may be part of the reason the Giovanni had her killed, and since then, the Camarilla has had a ban on anyone ghouling or embracing anyone on the scale of Congressman or higher. You want a ghoul on their staff? Cool. You want to meddle in city politics? Cool. But nothing on the national level.

Suggestion form a PAC and use the common tools of mortals to get things moving focusing on local DC politics, they are so common in DC it would be ubiquitous.

kckolbe

Or ghoul a congressional staffer.  They influence the votes significantly.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RubySlippers

The down side wouldn't any ghoul in important parts of government be the dominion of a major elder maybe even the Prince they find out you could be in trouble.

Nicolae

It would probably be most effective to ghoul and finance a group of lobbyists, especially for Ventrue who can teach their ghouls Dominate. That could cover the most ground for the least amount of effort. A few Ventrue ghouls at your disposal, deciding whose reelection campaign to help fund. Essentially, a ghouled-up PAC.

I'm looking at starting this game tomorrow evening (EST/EDT), so anyone who hasn't submitted a sheet, get one in!
O/O   Ideas

Nicolae

It's also not too late for newcomers! You've got about 24 hours to get me a sheet, but they don't take long to make!
O/O   Ideas

Nicolae

In the meantime, check out the character portraits and sights around DC I've posted over here to help acquaint you all with the city and its inhabitants.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=199938.0
O/O   Ideas

AndyZ

As a strange question, are gun laws and such the same in DC as normal, or have Kindred managed to eke out some sort of exception?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ebb

Quote from: Calrond on March 28, 2014, 08:34:44 PM
In the meantime, check out the character portraits and sights around DC I've posted over here to help acquaint you all with the city and its inhabitants.

Nice pictures, Calrond.

In case it's of use:
Map of Washington DC, with points of interest
Map of the DC Metro (subway system)

Nicolae

@AndyZ: Kindred kind of fly below the radar on most laws, especially because plenty of them have ways of manipulating the police force, the job of which is to enforce laws. Gun laws don't exactly apply to kindred, so they would have ways of getting them and keeping them. Just don't get stopped and frisked and you'll be fine.

@Ebb: Awesome, thanks!
O/O   Ideas

Ebb

I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming that our fictional DC is the same as real DC in any particular regard. Obviously having a bunch of supernatural creatures around for the last few hundred years is going to change stuff. So if I point out things about DC please know that they could easily not be true in game.

That having been said, I'll note that DC has an exceptionally high number of buildings with metal detectors around the doors, including (I believe) all of the Smithsonian museums. Also a lot of x-raying of bags. So if you're going to carry a gun, careful where you carry it unless you've got a workaround.

Miroque

And who needs guns anyway? They are mostly useless vs anything treatning. Use car as weapon . They are nicely availlable and cops tend to sshrugh the roadkill investigations where shot targets allways raise an eyebrow or two.. or better yet.. have someone else do your dirtywork for you with an car :)

RubySlippers

I thought security of the city is the Prince's responsibility anyway?  ???

One question which domain of the great clans are best for a Caitiff to ask to stay in with her tastes I'm thinking Brujah or Malkavian but she needs some group tolerable to her presence? She had no status yet I figure the Prince okayed her staying conditionally and she needs to prove she is at least barely acceptable for a formal court acceptance.

Nicolae

@Ebb: That's definitely true. The World of Darkness is not quite our own world. It's darker with more corrupt officials, more crime of all sorts, less reliable law enforcement, and somehow even more shady, behind-the-scenes dealings to fix prices or manipulate and control the masses. And that's beside the fact that there are undead, cursed beings behind many international corporations, a corrupting god-like entity behind others, mages with utopian-level technology who dole it out painfully slowly to keep everyone else from killing each other, angry spirits seeking vengeance in the afterlife, and the remnants of fairies from legend manifesting as fae souls in human bodies.

@Miroque: Clever girl. ;)

@RubySlippers: In theory, yes. In reality (or CWoD "reality"), if you want a place to be secure, you better be able to secure it yourself. As for which clan's domain she'd be best to stay in, that's going to depend greatly on whose drudge work or dirty work she's willing to do. As a Caitiff, even with her money, she's at the bottom of the Camarilla's social ladder. Their nickname is "Trash" for a reason; that's how the capes in the Camarilla see them. Unless she can be "adopted" by a clan, sect, or faction of some sort, she'll be able to take herself as far as her money will go in the world of kine, but be an outcast from Kindred society. She needs sponsorship, and that will probably be her #1 priority until she gets it.
O/O   Ideas

Ebb

Quote from: Calrond on March 28, 2014, 10:19:45 PM
@Ebb: That's definitely true. The World of Darkness is not quite our own world. It's darker with more corrupt officials, more crime of all sorts, less reliable law enforcement, and somehow even more shady, behind-the-scenes dealings to fix prices or manipulate and control the masses. And that's beside the fact that there are undead, cursed beings behind many international corporations, a corrupting god-like entity behind others, mages with utopian-level technology who dole it out painfully slowly to keep everyone else from killing each other, angry spirits seeking vengeance in the afterlife, and the remnants of fairies from legend manifesting as fae souls in human bodies.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, fun trumps reality.

Nicolae

Here are the completed sheets I've gotten so far.
AndyZ with Joanna Kyleson
RubySlippers with Altagracia Santiago
Finn MacKenna with Amara Lewis
Ebb with Norman Black
VonDoom with Sebastian D. Richter
Miroque with Ingrid Schwarzegeist
kckolbe with Robert Dwyer
Anon315 with Deitrich Anderson

I'm still expecting around 3 more to come in, hopefully soon, because they're three interesting ideas for characters!

As you can tell from a cast of 8-11 characters, this is going to be highly roleplay-driven, and more specifically, driven by roleplay amongst player characters. Keep everything in character and there should be no problems. Don't hesitate to PM me for clarification on a description, an action you want to keep hidden from everyone else (as long as it CAN be secret), any PC-on-PC conspiring or PC-on-NPC conspiring, etc.

Of course, having said that, even if something is posted publicly, if your character isn't informed about it one way or another, they don't know that it happened. But I know that you ladies and gentlemen can handle that, and won't be metagaming.
O/O   Ideas

Anon315

Deitrich Anderson
Loyal Merchant
Deitrich Anderson is a new arrival to the city, a magnate after a fashion. He carries the very finest in Swiss watches, German cars, and Russian Kalashnikovs. His reputation is impeccable, which is to say that anyone who speaks ill of him seems to meet a grisly demise. There are rumors that he had to flee a previous location due to disagreement with the Prince of said demesne. Little enough is known about him save that his blood is pure and his money green; the giant otherwise remains a mystery.

Nicolae

Just want to point out a typo on the website I sent you guys. It gives the list of Talents as follows:
QuoteC. The Talents available are: Alertness, Academics, Awareness, Brawl, Empathy, Expression, Intimidation, Leadership, Streetwise, and Subterfuge.

Instead of "Academics", it should say "Athletics."
O/O   Ideas

Miroque

Q: About your DC cammies (and in some retrospect Indies) :

Who if anyone, holds the list of denizens in the Prince's domain? (and if said list exist, is it open knowledge) I meen, atleast kindred with status 1+ should be known to the populance, and maybe even those of status 0 (freshly embraced, as their sires have been given the right to embrace reacantly.).

Nicolae

That list would likely be kept by the Prince's Seneschal, Monica Black. It is not open for perusal (except to the Prince, Primogen, Seneschal, and Harpies), though presumably anyone who came to enough Elysiums would be able to compile a nearly complete copy of that list. If you had a question about it, the Seneschal could answer it.

By the way, I just added a new NPC to the list, Sheriff Sofia Reyes.

O/O   Ideas

AndyZ

I will offer that Joanna Kyleson comes to a lot of Elysiums (Elysia?).

VonDoom

Sebastian is also a regular, though probably not quite as much as some of the more social-centric folk.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

kckolbe

Robert is not a regular.  He comes only when required or has a personal reason to be there, as he is uncomfortable in large groups.  By the way, imaginary points for knowing who Robert Dwyer is in real life.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Miroque

Ingrid is elysium regular only if her handlef is as she is not aknowledged yet