WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on April 12, 2016, 07:15:59 PM
You realize that there is now Rule 34 material spontaneously generating because of this statement.  :o

... that's exactly what I thought, too :D

TheGlyphstone

Seeing as how we're all writers here, has anyone else considered putting in a submission to Black Library's Open Submissions Contest? 9 days left to the deadline.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/write-for-black-library-info.html

I wrote a blurb-sample for a short story about a Munitorium supply clerk whose workplace gets invaded by criminal thugs...essentially Die Hard starring Melvin from The Office.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 20, 2016, 10:54:39 PM
Seeing as how we're all writers here, has anyone else considered putting in a submission to Black Library's Open Submissions Contest? 9 days left to the deadline.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/write-for-black-library-info.html

I wrote a blurb-sample for a short story about a Munitorium supply clerk whose workplace gets invaded by criminal thugs...essentially Die Hard starring Melvin from The Office.

Awww damn, I need more than 9 days to write anything, let alone a real submission.

TheGlyphstone

You only need to write a pitch and a 500-word sample for the deadline. If they like it and want to pay for a full story, then you get to write the whole thing.

AngelsSonata

I must admit, I'm very tempted to write something for the submission window. I wouldn't know what I would do as an idea though. Salamanders might be fun to write about, that or maybe an Assassin.

Wajin

Rejoice Brothers, for today we bring glory to the Emperor
We are his Angels, the sons of his sons.
We are his hammer, his fist, his sword and his shield.
With faith unyielding we shall prevail.
Faith and Service is reward onto themselves
Steel yourselves Brothers!
For the Imperium! For the Emperor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Wajin on May 03, 2016, 09:15:01 AM
Rejoice Brothers, for today we bring glory to the Emperor
We are his Angels, the sons of his sons.
We are his hammer, his fist, his sword and his shield.
With faith unyielding we shall prevail.
Faith and Service is reward onto themselves
Steel yourselves Brothers!
For the Imperium! For the Emperor!

The Legends were true! The Emperor has smiled upon us!

ChaoticSky

Ill be honest, when they basically said 'we has a thing' i thought they were bullshitting.

Turns out not. XD

Imperial Knights too~

Doomsday

New 40k player here, assembling some Space Wolves. Got the Wulfen and the Start Collecting pack, me and a few friends are aiming for 500 pt armies to throw at each other.

Wajin

Quote from: Doomsday on May 03, 2016, 06:40:11 PM
New 40k player here, assembling some Space Wolves. Got the Wulfen and the Start Collecting pack, me and a few friends are aiming for 500 pt armies to throw at each other.

We may be few, and our enemies many. Yet so long as there remains one of us still fighting, one who still rages in the name of justice and truth, then by the Allfather, the galaxy shall yet know hope.
- Ragnar Blackmane -

We are the wolf that stalks
The stars in the sky
And swallows the star-fire
We hide amongst the night
When light is gone
The Light is within us
We run the ruin of Fire
In the darkness
Foes burn in our passing

- Litany of the Space Wolves -

*Breaks open a cask of Fenrisian Ale* Drinks for all! A Battle Brother has joined us!
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

CountessJess

greenknight

Quote from: ChaoticSky on April 12, 2016, 06:02:05 PM
That is no longer canon alas, like much of Rogue Trader it was dropped in later editions as they figured out the setting. At that point it wasnt 40k so much as WHF IN SPACE!
Everything is canon, especially when it contradicts other canon.

"Only the insane have strength enough to survive and only the survivors can truly say what is sne."
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Oniya

Quote from: greenknight on May 22, 2016, 10:17:35 PM
Everything is canon, especially when it contradicts other canon.

And when in doubt, go with the bigger cannon.  (spelling intentional)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

greenknight

“Though my guards may sleep and my ships may lay at anchor, our foes know full well that the big guns never tire.”
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Lustful Bride

Soveliss

I hate that depression inducing kludge.

I went through hell IRL and came out from the other side. One thing I look at for in fiction is hope. If you have ever played a Good Karma character in Fallout, you've seen how even the wasteland can become a good place to live if the right person with the right skills bothers doing things.

WH40k is absolutely devoid of this hope. No one to root for, nothing to hope for.

I'm just not interested.

About the canon contradictions... All WH40k material is canon. Most of it is In-Universe propaganda from one faction or another.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

CountessJess

Quote from: Soveliss on July 13, 2016, 01:48:41 PM
I hate that depression inducing kludge.

I went through hell IRL and came out from the other side. One thing I look at for in fiction is hope. If you have ever played a Good Karma character in Fallout, you've seen how even the wasteland can become a good place to live if the right person with the right skills bothers doing things.

WH40k is absolutely devoid of this hope. No one to root for, nothing to hope for.

I'm just not interested.

About the canon contradictions... All WH40k material is canon. Most of it is In-Universe propaganda from one faction or another.

Why did you bother posting in a WH40k thread if you're just going to blast the setting for personal reasons?

Also it's like everyone nowadays on the internet 'went through hell IRL'. What, how many buddies did you lose in the 'Nam?

Soveliss

Quote from: CountessJess on July 14, 2016, 08:31:38 AM
Why did you bother posting in a WH40k thread if you're just going to blast the setting for personal reasons?

Also it's like everyone nowadays on the internet 'went through hell IRL'. What, how many buddies did you lose in the 'Nam?

For the first question, my answer is: because the title of the thread is"WH40000 - what's your opinion?". Not "put your unending praise about WH40k here". A negative opinion is an opinion.

For the second question, do you want me to go to the police station, ask for a copy of my deposition about being hit in the balls with a metal crutch, and ask for a copy of my second deposition about one of my female classmate raping me, as well as getting a signed paper from my psychiatrist and my medical help confirming that I do have PTSD, and attempted suicide a few dozen times that they know off, or is it a waste of time because you won't ever read them, since they are in a foreign language anyways?

Edit: I'm not fishing for sympathy here, just responding to someone obviously mocking me. I have a very good shrink and I'm well on the road to recovery.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

CountessJess

QuoteFor the first question, my answer is: because the title of the thread is"WH40000 - what's your opinion?". Not "put your unending praise about WH40k here". A negative opinion is an opinion.

No, the title of the thread is 'What's your opinion'. It's not 'Look at me, I'm such a sad person, so 40k is bad because of my personal sob story'. Wow, thanks, that was totally helpful to no one but you. Your negative opinion was there so you can feel sorry about yourself, not because you were there to actually discuss the merits and demerits of 40k as a setting.

QuoteFor the second question, do you want me to go to the police station, ask for a copy of my deposition about being hit in the balls with a metal crutch, and ask for a copy of my second deposition about one of my female classmate raping me, as well as getting a signed paper from my psychiatrist and my medical help confirming that I do have PTSD, and attempted suicide a few dozen times that they know off, or is it a waste of time because you won't ever read them, since they are in a foreign language anyways?

No, I don't want any of that, because honestly speaking, I don't care. This is a thread about 40k, not your personal blog. There are parts of the site where you can keep your own personal MEMEME diary. This is a 40k thread.

Soveliss

Quote from: CountessJess on July 14, 2016, 10:06:47 AM
No, I don't want any of that, because honestly speaking, I don't care. This is a thread about 40k, not your personal blog. There are parts of the site where you can keep your own personal MEMEME diary. This is a 40k thread.

If you don't care, maybe you should not be asking, especially in such a dismissive and mocking tone. Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I have a right not to like the setting, I have a right to say it, and I'm even gonna quote the first post:

Quote from: Beorning on August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM
I was wondering: what's your opinion on the WH40000 setting? Interesting? Not interesting? Does it lend itself to serious stories, or is it too silly for that?

Also, have you played any of the related roleplaying games? What are they like? Are they very combat oriented, or can you investigative and social stories with them?

(emphasis mine)

I have spoken, saying it was uninteresting to me because of my perspective in life, and you were mocking me. Not only were you mocking me, you asked, so I told. Were you not mockingly asking, I would have been quite content to not elaborate on my initial comment. With that, I would be very content to do something more productive with my time than answering mocking comments, like celebrate my recovery and the fact that my University year was a success, and things like that. Or even gush about settings I love or complain about settings I hate, without having to endure mockery for that.

"Work together as a team
                                                        Brentalfloss

CountessJess

QuoteIf you don't care, maybe you should not be asking, especially in such a dismissive and mocking tone. Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I have a right not to like the setting, I have a right to say it, and I'm even gonna quote the first post:

Similarly, I have a right to criticise your opinion. My criticism is that your opinion is heavily biased because it is primarily based on personal sob stories rather than real aspect of the setting. Grimdark has its faults but you listed nothing other than OH NOES ITS SADS BECAUSE IM A SAD BUNNY. No talk about whether it was self-aware satire, or far too childish over-the-top nonsense, or whatever. Just a narcissistic post about how urgh my life story makes me hate grimdark ultrasads.

Quote(emphasis mine)

I have spoken, saying it was uninteresting to me because of my perspective in life, and you were mocking me.

Yes, I was mocking you, because your only parameter for whether 40k is good is contingent upon whether it makes your special snowflake life feel any fluffy cuddly affirmation. I suppose the Theban plays must be shitty theatre then.

Soveliss

Quote from: CountessJess on July 14, 2016, 10:43:38 AM
Similarly, I have a right to criticise your opinion. My criticism is that your opinion is heavily biased because it is primarily based on personal sob stories rather than real aspect of the setting. Grimdark has its faults but you listed nothing other than OH NOES ITS SADS BECAUSE IM A SAD BUNNY. No talk about whether it was self-aware satire, or far too childish over-the-top nonsense, or whatever. Just a narcissistic post about how urgh my life story makes me hate grimdark ultrasads.

Yes, I was mocking you, because your only parameter for whether 40k is good is contingent upon whether it makes your special snowflake life feel any fluffy cuddly affirmation. I suppose the Theban plays must be shitty theatre then.

I draw the line at actually insulting and degrading people for their tastes in entertainment. You wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me. You wanna watch Theban plays? Good for you. Just don't expect me to follow you to the theater.

I don't go around calling people who only swear by tragedies "pretentious True Art(TM) believers who would have a meltdown at anything that looks remotely happy". For the record, I don't even think that, I had to struggle to write that comment. You, on the other hand, have dismissed my life experiences without knowing a single thing about me, accused me of being a narcissist, a snowflake, and probably other things (I don't feel like hunting down every thing you have called me) all of that for only because I admitted to prefer setting that have hope in them.

Why do I even bother?

"Work together as a team
                                                        Brentalfloss

CountessJess

QuoteI draw the line at actually insulting and degrading people for their tastes in entertainment. You wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me. You wanna watch Theban plays? Good for you. Just don't expect me to follow you to the theater.

I don't go around calling people who only swear by tragedies "pretentious True Art(TM) believers who would have a meltdown at anything that looks remotely happy". For the record, I don't even think that, I had to struggle to write that comment. You, on the other hand, have dismissed my life experiences without knowing a single thing about me, accused me of being a narcissist, a snowflake, and probably other things (I don't feel like hunting down every thing you have called me) all of that for only because I admitted to prefer setting that have hope in them.

Why do I even bother?

You posted on an online forum and when somebody criticises your opinion, you get upset? Your opinion was based on your own personal experience, and if I disagree with your opinion, I have to poke at your personal experience. Honestly, though, your first sentence:

QuoteYou wanna play WH40k? Have fun. Without me.

You should have taken your own advice. You didn't come here to talk about the merits/demerits of 40k, you came here to pontificate about how '40k isn't for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'. So yes, if you're so upset about 40k, let other people discuss the qualities of the setting, without you posting.

Soveliss

Quote from: CountessJess on July 14, 2016, 11:06:09 AM
You posted on an online forum and when somebody criticises your opinion, you get upset? Your opinion was based on your own personal experience, and if I disagree with your opinion, I have to poke at your personal experience.

Mockingly asking me, quote:

Quote from: CountessJess on July 14, 2016, 08:31:38 AM. What, how many buddies did you lose in the 'Nam?

unquote, goes beyond disagreement and into personal attack territory. Just saying.

"Work together as a team
                                                        Brentalfloss

Oniya

This has gone far enough.

Having a dissenting opinion isn't wrong, although posting in the thread guarantees that it will continue to show up in your 'unread responses' as long as the thread exists.

Attacking someone for having a dissenting opinion is wrong, and goes against Elliquiy's civility rule.

This conversation is to be dropped.  Now.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17