Seeking Legendary Monsters (3.5 DnD, lots custom rules)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 08, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

That sounds about right to me.  Looking over their statline, you could probably tack on the Half-Fey template from the Fiend Folio and get a pretty good Charisma/Dexterity-based character out of it, if you wanted.  Bard/Rogue, Sorcerer/Ranger, something along those lines.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, so it looks like my build will be:

Path 1 (Mystic): Totemist 12
Path 2: (Martial): Warblade 5/Soul Eater 7
Path 3 (Monstrous): Anthropomorphic Giant Squid (3 HD, +1 LA) Vecna-Blooded (+1 LA) Monster of Legend (+7 LA).

Natural-weapon brawler - capable of grappling, soul-draining, and-or straight up melee battering. Evil as all get-out.

schnookums

Do squids get a circumstance bonus in erotic combat against anime characters?

TheGlyphstone

Oh yeah, he's also a walking hentai movie.

Though: Would there be any problems with changing the Monster of Legend template to grant sorcerer casting instead of cleric casting?

schnookums

Yikes, a lot of no-goodniks for a faerie dragon to run in to. Of course, that could result in lots of fun in other ways too.

No, I'm totally not wishing to have her subjected to all sorts of wickedness. Whatever gave that idea?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2015, 07:28:05 PM
Thought about Aboleth, but I think I want to play something that is actually somewhat humanoid this time around.

Monster appearance if any is entirely decided up to you. Even if you do not get 'humanoid' subtype you could descripe your aboleth having more humanoid sort anatomy. Kunoichi example chose very nice sexy pic as base for monster which was sort of 'beholder broodmother/chaos beast' sort weird combo which normally would had produced a cuthlhu sort horror, instead it being cute humanoid with tentacles/eyes and eye size of her head but have humanoid figure.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 08, 2015, 09:09:47 PM
Though: Would there be any problems with changing the Monster of Legend template to grant sorcerer casting instead of cleric casting?

As note other players asked about monster of legend and I said 'no' for said template and so that ruling sticks; Monster of Legend is banned. However another options for filling monster side is to get more HD as the monster type (if you got HD if any). Or you could be say a 'dire' antromorphic octopus + inherited and + gained template combo.

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on April 08, 2015, 07:32:47 PM
Oh, I didn't see that about LA... sorry about that. Though I would be okay with that option if the others are, like you said... but who knows what I'll play. If you're okay with characters getting a little crazy, there are all sorts of ideas coming to mind. I will have to talk it over with whoever has time...

I am okay characthers get seriously crazy :). So long they stick whitting the rules as written or told about. Kunoichi knows ins and out of the char gen (she asked lots questions in making her char). Dragon magazine and such stuff need approved first and besides Monster of Legend I haven't banned other templates (like feral example which mental stat penalties are not big deal at all as you get paragon creature for free). However note that feral creature features based on HD are based on racial HD (so need pick monster with good solid base HD to get all features, class level granted HD does not count).

Anycase, not always around but that's why I told my players help answer questions and help build monsters.

Sain

You can always build a supporty character with less than average (compared to others) physical stats if you want your character to be subject to bullying schnookums :) Could go for a skill or utility build. Epic skill checks are awesome fun.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, epic skill checks as we realized allowed some crazy shenanigans (like; walk through wall of force because your OP escape artist skill check to break through it or so epic bluff you can decide what divinations notice from your alignment meters).

So, if want get bullied or be 'exploited' by other legendary monsters (while rank and file pit fiends could not touch you), you can focus more support role and min/max less :). Whichever is most fun to you.

TheGlyphstone

Whelp...my entire character just got gutted - the giant squid doesn't work without the Regrow Limbs special of the MoL. Plus, surprise secret ban items just leave a very sour taste for me, especially when one of the already-approved characters (the slime girl) has apparently been given leave to break one of the creation rules by multiclassing in two different paths.

Not giving up yet. Let's see if I can salvage this with a Hydra as the base monster; my stats are going to suck mightly now with the loss of MoL, but it might be workable.

Zaer Darkwail

The slime girl did not break the rules;

Warlock 9/ Paladin of Slaughter 3 = Multiclassing two mystic paths (if she would take level as paladin, then she would be taking spellcasting variant and not non-spellcasting)
Wildshape Ranger 5 / Master of Many Forms 7 = Not multiclassing as she enters into a PrC. If she would enter any base/core classes, then it would be breaking the rules.

Anycase I hold right call what things I ban and not ban because I am not omnipotent and do not know all variants what exists. So far only Monster of Legend is banned (nothing else is banned). Sorry that this gutted your build TheGlyphstone :P. But you can still have fun as a hydra (just need take perhaps smallest one with least amount of heads, you can level up monster side eventually and grow your HD to get more heads).

PaleEnchantress

Maybe this would help with my depression. Had such a fun exotic game with Kunoichi a while ago but one of the other players frittered out so fast.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

TheGlyphstone

PrCs don't count towards multiclassing? Okay, that is important, and I can work with that.

A Lernaean Hydra could be nasty. But I'd have to figure out how to recalculate the AC of its stumps - a flat AC19 is ridiculously low when my natural AC is going to be 60-70+.

Zaer Darkwail

Check DMG II, pg157, Unique Abilities and check Dragontouched. Same goes to newcomers (some useful template/unique abilities there but they none give stat bonuses and they all are more and less inherited templates but some are gained).

However advance note; if someone takes Unearthly Beauty I will heavily house rule it (either reduce LA or make it template worth to be +12 LA and take entire monster side in tri-gestalt).

Nice to see PaleEnchantress :).

TheGlyphstone

Would it be acceptable, then, to mod Learnaen to require hitting touch AC to apply fire/acid to a neck stump, instead of just a flat AC19? It 'feels' right to my gut, and makes the template actually scale properly.

Zaer Darkwail

It's okay if the said ruling applies to all hydras then.

TheGlyphstone

Normal hydras don't have an AC for their stumps - you cut one off with a sunder attempt, and it seals itself. The Multiheaded Learnean template makes it so that stumps regrow additional heads if you don't seal them with fire or acid damage quickly at a flat AC value of 19, which is silly for the reasons I noted.

So the ruling applying to all hydras would have no effect, since only the ones who were also Learnaen would benefit, and that would be redundant.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, ok, I allow the stump be hit with AC 10 + Dex mod + other bonuses. But it does not benefit from deflection bonus to avoid being hit (so touch AC but not deflection but all other bonuses okay).

TheGlyphstone

...why specifically excluding deflection, out of curiosity? That's usually the biggest contributor to someone's touch AC, though it likely won't be with our crazy builds.

And is that a universal ruling (i.e., deflection no longer applies to touch AC) for all characters/AC values?

Zaer Darkwail

Because it's biggest contributor :P. I fear if I rule plainly 'yes' then you get touch AC equal to normal AC some means (natural armor can be turned to deflection bonus by a 2th level or 3th level spell; scintillating scales), with this epic scales hitting your stump can be only done by other legendary monster or not even by that (my char AC is highest and I cannot hit myself with coup de grace even if I tried seriously).

TheGlyphstone

Makes sense....and I couldn't hit myself with my own build either. Very few of us could, looking at the character sheet thread - the limitations on multiclassing mean that boosting our to-hit bonuses are much harder than stacking AC bonuses.

EDIT: Yeah, Sshai is the only physical combatant who can hit themselves on less than a 20. The Sea witch can, but she's not a melee combatant.

But I'll reiterate the question - if getting an unhittable touch AC is a worry for you, are you making that a blanket ruling that Deflection no longer boosts touch AC period? Cause if it's a problem for me, it'll be a problem for pretty much any monster/character at this power level.

Zaer Darkwail

Deflection bonus applies still everyone. Just for your stump's case you do not get use deflection bonus.

However, I realized something....I allow a full melee touch AC vs your stump....however your foe may not need hit your melee touch AC at all to seal the stump. Just maximize/empowered fireball/acid breath can seal it close as would hitting with melee weapon with flaming property. But ofc as you can build a troll which is immune to fire you can build your hydra so it's immune to fire/acid or highly resistant to it, meaning stump's weakness does not matter.

TheGlyphstone

I suppose, and yeah, AoE energy damage would work....though the flaming melee weapon would still need to hit the stump's AC, so it's relevant. They can't just stab me in the belly and seal a bleeding head.

And I promise I won't make myself immune to both fire and acid, because that's cheesy and makes me unkillable except though instant-death magic. Immune to one and resistant to the other is as high as I'll go.

Planned build this time...

Mystic Path: Totemist 12 (soulmelds are supernatural, but they are not spellcasting).
Martial: Swordsage 2/Hexblade 4/Soul Eater 6. Everything is either Skilled or full-BAB, I multiclass once and have entered a PrC that will continue to completion, and has my single spellcasting class.
Monstrous: Seven-Headed Pyrohydra (7 HD, CR8) with the Lernaean Multiheaded Creature x1 template (+4 LA).

Verify before I start crunching numbers this time?

Zaer Darkwail

Soulmelds can be dispelled as note, it's mentioned in incarnum rules. However I allow that paragon creature adds +15 to your meldshaping in regards resisting dispels with your soulmelds. Hexblade is considered mystic path (I heavily house ruled it and I house ruled soulborn class in other game to be more suitable 'incarnum paladin' without beaten by a fighter who just took incarnum feats).

But otherwise it looks ok although you may want swap hexblade levels to something else (if want keep totemist). Or if want 'debuf' then take non-spellcasting paladin of tyranny/slaughter. Or some other class with full BAB.

TheGlyphstone

I'm a bit confused now as to what count as mystic or not - soulmelds are apparently mystic, but (Su) maneuvers aren't. Hexblade is mystic despite having full BAB. Everything the Soul Eater gets is (Su), but it's acceptable for the Martial track.

Is there a non-casting variant for the Hexblade that I could use? Will Death Ward effects be common enough that I should abandon Soul Eater and get levels in something more generally useful?

Looking at existing sheets, Maneuvers count as a special attack and get the +13 bonus from Paragon. Does that include Boosts, or only Strikes?

Zaer Darkwail

Simply; if class has spellcasting ability it's mystic. Hexblade gets hexblade spells and paladins and rangers get also spells. However both ranger and paladin have non-spellcasting variants which can be used instead and use as martial. Hexblade has no such feature. Shinobi/Ninja class which is merge of ninja and spellthief classes is mystic also (it gets 'shinobi' spell list and has ability to steal spells from others).

I hope it makes more sense now. Reason why incarnum classes (all three) are in mystic is because they use soul magic to buff themselves and attack. Dragon Shaman is martial class because it got only one special attack (breath attack) and various supernatural abilities to heal (like paladin and crusader) and can get one invocation instead of one auras (and single invocation does not turn entire class mystical).

Shadowblade from shadow magic section in Tome of Magic is martial PrC while Shadowsmith is mystical.