Random noise from the laptop

Started by Beguile's Mistress, August 24, 2015, 12:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

I'm scratching my head.

During the last few weeks my laptop has been making a strange noise at random times.  It is a sort of electronic two-note chime that occurs singly or doubly.  Nothing appears on the screen or in the toolbar announcing a notification or update.

Does anyone have any Idea what this could be and is is something benign or do I need to flail like a little green frog of our acquaintance?

Vekseid

Watch the charging meter?

If there's a problem with your power jack it could be the disconnect/reconnect notification.

Geraint

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 24, 2015, 12:39:30 PM
I'm scratching my head.

During the last few weeks my laptop has been making a strange noise at random times.  It is a sort of electronic two-note chime that occurs singly or doubly.  Nothing appears on the screen or in the toolbar announcing a notification or update.

Does anyone have any Idea what this could be and is is something benign or do I need to flail like a little green frog of our acquaintance?
Something like that also may happen when a peripheral, USB port, or other driver loads and unloads (which might show among the hidden icons on the right).  It has occasionally happened to me randomly on my laptop, as well and seemed to be associated with activity of the DVD drive, especially if I accidentally push the open button on the drive, or if I have left a DVD in the drive and it notices again and again that there is something to play (but doesn't autorun).   I'm not sure that applies to your situation, but figured it was worth a shot.

The Dark Raven

Mine does this randomly, but mine is so old, I am pretty sure it has something to do with the battery being shot (but if your battery is ok, I'm sure it isn't that).

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

AmberStarfire

My last one did this sometimes as well and I wasn't even sure what device it was coming from (it could've been the Kindle across the room) but I figured it was something to do with it charging up maybe.

You ought to be able to go into your personalisation settings on the control panel (there should be an audio option - sometimes it's near the display settings) and see the different audio sounds attributed to each thing that's Windows-related. You should be able to test the sounds and see what they sound like and maybe one will match the sound you're hearing.

Oniya

Geraint's idea sounds like a likely culprit, especially with the 'two-note chime' that you describe.  If you have a USB Flash Drive, try plugging it into the laptop and see if the noise when it mounts is the same as the chime you're hearing.  (My desktop does this periodically, always in conjunction with 'boot-up' noises from my USB printer.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

The noise when a USB drive connects or releases is different.  That one I recognize because one of my USB ports is loose and the drive releases and reconnects frequently.  The noise hasn't happened in a while now.  Even my IT people at work can't figure it out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  It's much appreciated.

LtSurge

Beguile's Mistress