Epic Pathfinder experiment

Started by Chloe Milev, September 27, 2010, 06:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chloe Milev

Character sheets
In-character play thread
Out-of-character discussion and chat

So, it seems plenty of people like playing D&D here, and Pathfinder looks popular as well (as it is with me).  I usually plan my character's career to level 20, even though I know they'll never get there (or usually even level up).  But I was thinking of trying my hand at DMing a game (something I've only done maybe two sessions of live) in which all the characters are level 20 (or maybe even epic).

While I'm good with rules, making characters, and nitty-gritty, I'm never quite sure what to do for an overarching campaign.  I'm brainstorming ideas for single-event problems and the like, looking through the 100 adventure ideas from the Epic Level Handbook and Book of Erotic Fantasy.  Getting into one of those may open up more adventure inside, who knows.  But I'm also willing to see what players' (and characters') goals may be.  If you want your epic character to slaughter their way through hordes of mundane orcs and undead to feel badass, that's cool.  If it's helping a demigod rescue her lover from the abyss, epic planar adventure awaits.  Maybe I use the Deities and Demigods book to make up a flighty goddess of lust who decides to take a bunch of adventurers on a magical mystery tour of the planes to get into shenanigans.  People can collaborate on a party, or just make up whatever they want and I'll try to find some way of putting them all together (i.e. someone god bigger than you gives you a job).

I guess I would try to balance the gaming vs smut around 50/50?  You can either look for trouble and I'll give it to you, or you can "look for trouble," but it ends up being sexual, or however we want it to go.  I'm comfortable doing bondage, beyond the two basic genders, shapechanging, etc, as far as kinks go.

My first thoughts for character creation:
- Abilities are all 10, with 20 points to purchase more (Pathfinder ability score costs, pg 16).  And maybe let's say a free +5 inherent bonus to your abilities (either +5 to one, or spread it out); by now you've probably seduced/coerced/beat some wishes out of a genie.  Oh, and I guess we can make permanent Int increases retroactive for skill points (since I always enjoy making skill-monkeys).
- 2 traits.
- Level 20.  I think monster CR equals levels, depending on the monster.  Minotaur is easy.  Balor, less so.
- HP is 1/2 HD + 1 (so a d6 wizard gets 4, a d12 barbarian gets 7, etc).
- I think I'm pretty open to any books for classes, feats, etc.  We can include the skill Perform (sexual prowess), maybe with 1 skill trick per rank (a la Guide to Erotic Carnal Knowledge), and 3 bonus sexual feats.
- 880,000 gp.  With item creation feats, you may have crafted 1/4 of your budget over your career (an effective budget of 1,100,000).  This is weird, but on pg 234 of the Magic Item Compendium, it looks like you can add a deflection or ability bonus to an existing item without having to pay 1.5x the cheaper item's price (like you would combining two items).  So that may save some money if you've had to combine two items of your equipment.

So if there's a market for yet another game (this one epic-tier!) I've heard we can (and/or should) post this sort of game in Zaer Darkwail's "NC: Human-System Big Groups: DnD: Shadows and Shades"?

Anyway, I'm very much proposing a skeleton on which to hang a game, and if people are interested, we can bang it out to preference.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Callie Del Noire

ulthakptah

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm only in two games right now and nether of them are moving fast so I have plenty of time to join an other.

avorae

Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Callie Del Noire

Hm.. maybe an epic version of my name sake. :D

CirclMastr

I'd definitely be interested, as my RL Pathfinder group is on hiatus until after Christmas.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Kate

Sabriel

I think I might be interested too  :-)

Zaer Darkwail

I am interested also and could work as co-GM help with rule discussions or planning in plot.

Chloe Milev

So far it looks like seven interested parties.  How does everyone feel about the character mechanics?  Any themes, genres, scenarios, settings, or stories to suggest?  I've got something in my head now, following my usual method:  ignore the story and create cool concept characters.  They've begun to interacted and form a story, and I think there's plenty of episodic adventure to be had, as well as a point gathering it all together.  Would you all or any other curious parties want to know the basic start of the adventure, or the whole thing in my head, or some thing like those?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

avorae

Well I would like to know the basic concept of the game. As for a character concept  I am looking to do a monk/Rogue and prestige into a shadow dancer. I am still not sure of race yet though.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm..thinking Alchemist/Master Chymist.

A twist on my 'Callie' character.. Callic is the Alchemist.. Callie is his mutagen form. 

Of Note: How do you want to do the HP after 1st level?

CirclMastr

For some reason, I've been leaning toward more humorous ideas for this game.  Like a fighter with a giant wicked-looking scythe and black-as-night armor, looking like Grim Death armed for war, who's just a Neutral Good guy who thinks it looks cool.  Or someone whose personal goals include having sex with every race, or a goddess, or every goddess.  (Combine the two for hilarious opportunities for awkward conversations!)

So yeah, that probably wouldn't mix well if everyone else is looking for a dark, intense, serious atmosphere, so I'm just putting it out there now.
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

avorae

I am not looking to be all dark and grim. That was just a concept I have always wanted to try. Personality wise she is going to be very lighthearted and friendly comparted to most of her ilk. Heck depending on her race and or whether i choose anything from the BOE she might have even been kick out of the order for violating her vows. (Which would explain her becoming a rogue actually)

Callie Del Noire

Could be fun.. wish Herolab had the APG prestige classes in it.. I'd be trying to figure out what to gear to buy by now. :D

CirclMastr

I've got a copy of the APG, I can PM you with whatever prestige class info you need.

Callie Del Noire

I got it too.. BUT I like making my characters on Herolab and it's not on THAT yet.. already seeing some scary points of having epic Alchemist/Master Chymist .. Greater Mutagen is way scary! 12-14 stats for the Alchemist = SCARY for the mutantion form.

Chloe Milev

I'm definitely okay with a light-hearted romp through the world/planes, if that's the consensus.  Or at least punctuating adventure with humor / vice-versa.

Being kicked out of a monastery/order sounds like a good use of the Complete Adventurer synergy feats for a Monk or Paladin, like Ascetic Rogue or Devoted Performer..

Master Chymist, eh?  I see, I always go to the other Pathfinder SRD or book, not the OGC.  Wow, there's a lot of new prestige classes I hadn't seen since last time.  Neat.  Yeah, I'm pretty open to non-core things.  Maybe not Mongoose or weird 3rd party things like that, but at least the OGC stuff is made by Paizo.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Callie Del Noire

Basically it's a twist on the Alchemist who can change up to 5 times a day without a mutagen. (think Jekyll and Hyde) my take is

Callic is an Alchemist who dabbled and his alter ego is a CG or CN female named Callie.. who is very much a physical being. :D the 20 points means I have to slip a bit low on my mental stats but the +5 let me pop up Int and add a bit to Dex/Con for a person who is mostly 12 - 14 (except for a 22-ish Int) so far.

CirclMastr

Sounds like I'll be able to sleep with Callie and cross 'mutagenic' off my list. ;)  Heh.

Callie Del Noire

Like you'd know that. A mad alchemist who can use alter self potions to look like anyone? Callie is still sort of.. in development.

Zaer Darkwail

My char concept which has haunted me recently is sadly working only in gestalt setting. But depending what others roll and what party role is left I could roll char based on that.

fallensaviour

i did not remember anything in pathfinder with an actual level adjustment...

avorae

They do in a sense but it is not called level Adjustment anymore. It is the CR of the creature now.

Chloe Milev

Yeah, I guess they don't mention it as "+1 LA" or anything, but in the Bestiary, they mention Aasimar and the like being okay to try, but Gnolls and things are more advanced, and the people who play humanoids should start at second level while the Gnoll character is at first.  So if you want to play an advanced race, should we use the 3.5 level adjustment rules?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas