News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

D&D 5th Edition - Dark Lands IC Thread

Started by eternaldarkness, January 05, 2015, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuroshu

"A battle before we leave," He hops out of the wagon, "a good as time as any to gauge how we do fighting together."

Shu unsheaths his swords and runs off to the sound of the cry.

LuciferOs

On hearing the strange battle cry,  Lady Enna frowned. This wasn't good, towns raided didn't last long or do that well as a general rule, castles and cities being sieged was different, small villages ? They didn't often have anything to repel a force. That needed infrastructure.

Still not everything was over yet.

The mage casts "Mage armor" then "shield" on herself before urging her horse towards the call to arms.
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

eternaldarkness

Out in the streets of Antioch, people were running to and fro, drawing weapons and donning armor, whilst the town's militia - which consisted of most of its permanent citizenry - made for their posts. The town had two gates : the mountain gate which was on a direct path from the pass leading through the Demonspines, and the Dusk Gate on its eastern end that opened onto a quarter-mile of open field before passing Steiner Manor, the home of lord Darius the silver mines to the north and the silver mines to the north, with the Duskwood directly east. It was the latter where all the commotion seemed to be coming from. But the group leaving englas didn't have a chance to see any of that, as another cry went up and the sounds of battle filled the streets to the north, and a group of five fleeing militiamen came into sight at the end of the street, clearly in retreat, and a moment later a pair of man-sized monsters with thick red skin studded with spines and clawed hands and feet, and a single huge eye in the center of their heads come into view, and levels its gaze on one of the retreating militiamen, the unfortunate man dying instantly as his body seems to implode messily, his arms and armor clattering to the ground.

"They're through the gates!"

DC 13 Intelligence (Arcana) check to identify the monsters.  The creatures are 70 feet away from the front door of Engla's Hearth, the four remaining militiamen are 40 feet away. this street is 30 feet wide, and there are side-alleys you can duck into as well as barrels and a wagon filled with horse dung 15 feet ahead that would make excellent cover. Also, everyone roll initiative.

Kuroshu

Initiative: 2
Intelligence Check: 18

"Well now," He laughs nervously, "those two have faces only their mothers can love."
Shu Immediately slipped into an alleyway, he calms himself for a moment to recall what monster the two he saw are.

Stephie613

Arcana: 6
Initiative: 15

Dessi had been just about ready to turn into a bird of some sort when all manner of hell broke loose and people were fleeing monsters. She had no idea what type, but now wasn't exactly the time to consider it too closely either. She had to think fast, and skin and teeth turned to fur and fangs as she took her wild shape, that of a dire wolf with fur as white as the snows and her prominent bright red eyes showing true. She then lept out into the fray, it was definitely time to attack anything that moved that wasn't a comrade.

eternaldarkness

The large-eyed creatures leveled their deadly gazes on the militiamen, but do not adfvance any further. They are fighting intelligently, that much is clear.

Aengus readied his weapon and shield, staying out on the main street in front of the tavern and moving up behind the dung cart, wincing as he saw the militiaman - likely someone he knew - slain horribly and instantly. Feel free to post your actions out of turn, and we can resolve them in order, with changes made as-necessary. I'll update initiatives as we get them and resolve the round when everyone's acted.

"I dinnae know what these things are, but i'm tae be knowin' a gaze attack when I see it!"

Arcana: 11
Init: 6

Inits
Nothics 19  Nothic 1: HP 20/45 Nothic 2: HP 25/45
Militia 16
Dessi 15
Emma 11
Aengus 6
Shu 2

Combat Status: Aengus is 15 feet from the tavern entrance taking cover behind the dung cart. Desi moved up 20 ft and is now 50 ft. away from the Nothics. Shu ducked into the alley across from the tavern and made his check to identify the monsters. The nothics are using their deadly gaze on two of the militiamen, one of whom seems unaffected and the other is almost at death's door as her flesh is withered by the second nothic's gaze (she took 10 damage out of her 11 hp), but she fires her crossbow despite the pain and hits one of the nothics (dealing 6 damage) and the militiamen all back up 30 feet and prepare to reload and fire again. Thankfully, the creatures had already taken some damage before this.

Arcana 13+: These are creatures that in your land are called ahriman, but in these lands are better known as Nothics. They are Aberrations created from the souls and corpses of evil spellcasters and magical beings or summoned forth from extraplanar locations such as the Far Realm by magic or sometimes odd celestial convergences. They are extremely dangerous, especially their flesh-rotting gaze which can slay a man near-instantly. It is best to engage them at a distance if possible; their gazes have a range of about 30 feet, and keeping your distance also keeps you out of range of their claws.

RubySlippers

ROLLS
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Roll Result: DianeK rolled: 1d20, adding 4 to the total
Comment: Intelligence Arcana
Result: 13,
Total: 17

Roll Result: DianeK rolled: 1d20, adding 2 to the total
Comment: Initiative
Result: 9,
Total: 11

Comment: Stealth
Result: 2,
Total: 6

Emma will bravely skulk down an alley, and work her way around the creatures using all the cover she can, and pace herself, taking a decent amount of time to get into position. Keeping her hand on her Short Sword.

GM EYES ONLY
As in will wish to avoid the actual fight, if she can will be rolling Stealth each round to try to not be notice while looking like she is just being a sneaky scoundrel. With luck she can get a shot on one critter when its almost dead and if they are winning can retreat to "help secure an escape route".

eternaldarkness

Inits
Nothics 19  Nothic 1: HP 20/45 Nothic 2: HP 25/45
Militia 16
Dessi 15
Emma 11
Aengus 6
Shu 2

Combat Status: Aengus is 15 feet from the tavern entrance taking cover behind the dung cart. Desi moved up 20 ft and is now 50 ft. away from the Nothics. Shu ducked into the alley across from the tavern and made his check to identify the monsters. The nothics are using their deadly gaze on two of the militiamen, one of whom seems unaffected and the other is almost at death's door as her flesh is withered by the second nothic's gaze (she took 10 damage out of her 11 hp), but she fires her crossbow despite the pain and hits one of the nothics (dealing 6 damage) and the militiamen all back up 30 feet and prepare to reload and fire again. Thankfully, the creatures had already taken some damage before this. Emma made her way through the alleys opposite the one Kuro had ducked into, circling around to get behind the nothics (who failed their perception rolls badly thanks to disadvantage from her having tons of cover and them being distracted). Emma will, however, need two whole rounds (this one and second) to get into position.

LuciferOs

rolls

Initiative
Comment: initiative
Result: 12, +
Total: 12
+ dex 2 = 14

Arcana Check
Comment: arcana
Result: 7,
Total: 7
+ 6 Arcana = 13

Intelligence Check
Comment: intelligence
Result: 1,
Total: 1
+ int bonus = 5

Comment: dc
Result: 15,
Total: 15
Base spell dc (Im not sure what I add to this )

When Enna sees the monsters and the milita with ranged weapons she instinctively casts the main combat spell she knows.
Web. She will try and position the web so it only effects the monsters allowing all the militia and adventurous freedom.
Hopefully this gives the militia more time to retreat and reload. Before ending their miserable lives.
Active threads

eternaldarkness

End of Round 1 Combat Status: Aengus is 15 feet from the tavern entrance taking cover behind the dung cart. Desi moved up 20 ft and is now 50 ft. away from the Nothics. Shu ducked into the alley across from the tavern and made his check to identify the monsters. The nothics are using their deadly gaze on two of the militiamen, one of whom seems unaffected and the other is almost at death's door as her flesh is withered by the second nothic's gaze (she took 10 damage out of her 11 hp), but she fires her crossbow despite the pain and hits one of the nothics (dealing 6 damage) and the militiamen all back up 30 feet and prepare to reload and fire again. Thankfully, the creatures had already taken some damage before this. Emma made her way through the alleys opposite the one Kuro had ducked into, circling around to get behind the nothics (who failed their perception rolls badly thanks to disadvantage from her having tons of cover and them being distracted). Emma will, however, need two whole rounds (this one and second) to get into position. Enna casts her Web spell from afar, snaring the uninjured Nothic whilst the one that had been struck by a militiaman was caught fast in the field of sticky webbing and unable to get free.

Round 2: Nothics are up, followed by the Militia.
The Nothic that had been webbed struggled against its bonds, but its efforts were futile as it could not escape the webbing and its enemies were too far away to be affected by its deadly gaze. The other, slightly injured nothic saw that it was severely outnumbered, and decided discretion was the better part of valor, running toward the nearby alley - the same one Emma was using to circle around behind it and its companion. It had barely gotten to the alley entryway when the militiamen fired another volley of crossbow bolts at it, three of them scoring solid hits that nearly put it down (13 damage).

Dessi is up, followed by Enna again.

Inits
Nothics 19  Nothic 1: HP 7/45 Nothic 2: HP 25/45 (Webbed)
Militia 16
Dessi 15
Enna 14
Emma 11
Aengus 6
Shu 2

Stephie613

Dessi looked around thought quickly, trying to determine her best course of action. The decision was made in a split second, the huge direwolf bounding to the non-webbed creature as she snarled and her massive jaws lunged out as she came sliding to a stop behind it  in the alleyway and she bit hard, shaking her head to and fro after she'd gotten her jowls hold of it. Only to slip on something that was in the alleyway as she missed completely.

(Missed.)

LuciferOs

On seeing one entangled thoroughly Enna smiled. That's how the spell should work.
She then maneuvers her horse to follow the fleeing monster and when in sight of the creature notices that a huge wolf of some-kind is trying its luck with the horrid creature.

In as quick succession as possible, casts firebolt followed by an icebolt.

Rolls

Comment: dc1
Result: 3,
Total: 3
spell dc (not sure what I add to this ? My intelligence bonus ?)

Comment: dc2
Result: 17,
spell dc (not sure what I add to this ? My intelligence bonus ?)

Spell damage 1d3
Comment: firebolt
Result: 3,
Total: 3

Spell damage 1d3
Comment: icebolt
Result: 1,
Total: 1

Active threads

Kuroshu

Shu takes his bow out and notches and arrow on to the string. He leans out of the corner as he pulls the arrow back.  He aims for the healthier looking Nothic, he figured that the rouge can take care of it herself.

Rolls

Roll Result: Shujin rolled: 1d20
Comment: Bow Hit

Roll Result: Shujin rolled: 1d8
Comment: Superiority Die
Result: 4,
Total: 4

Roll Result: Shujin rolled: 1d8, adding 4 to the total
Comment: Bow Damage + Distracting Strike
Total: 8

He lets his arrow loose, (Hit)it hits the healthy looking Nothic on the knee. (Miss) the arrow flyby the Nothic's head.

(Doesn't have to be the knee, I just thought it'd be funny if it did hit there)

RubySlippers

Sneaking and will try to hide better.

As she heroically moves to a good position, even if it takes longer, as she covers the sneaky spots for threats. Well someone has to guard the shrubbery.

Comment: Stealth
Total: 8
*kicks dice roller*  :-\

eternaldarkness

Enna's firebolt slammed into the webbed nothic and scorched its large central eye as Aengus charged into melee with the webbed nothic, face to face with the horriffic creature. "they're almost downed! Dinnae let up on 'em!"

End of round 1:
Aengus: Dash Action to close to melee with the webbed nothic.
Nothic 1: Attack Dessi with ts claws for 7 and 13 vs AC. Damage 6 per hit.
Nothic 2: Str save to escape webs. Failed.

Round 2:
The nothic trapped in Ennas webs struggled again to escape, but it was still held fast, whilst the second took an arrow from Shu's bow and swiped at the dire wolf-shaped Dessi, failing to score a solid hit thanks to the thick fur and tough hide of her dire wolf form then screeched in pain as it took an arrow to the knee, ending any hopes it might ever have of being an adventurer as it fell dead, whilst the militiamen fired a volley of crossbow bolts at the webbed nothic, only one of them scoring a solid hit that thumped into the creature.

Dessi is up, followed by Enna again.

Inits
Nothics 19  Nothic 1: HP /045(DEAD) Nothic 2: HP 17/45 (Webbed)
Militia 16
Dessi 15
Enna 14
Emma 11
Aengus 6
Shu 2

Stephie613

Dessi thought quickly before taking a running leap toward the gnothic that was webbed. She knew that she could easily get tangled if she wasn't careful, and that was something she definitely didn't need in direwolf form, web in her fur. She leapt into the air, biting at it's head as she jumped over it before landing on the other side on her feet.

Rolls
17 to hit

13 damage

LuciferOs

Enna's firebolt seemed to work the last time she tried it, not a powerful spell but then again combat was not what her magic was for mainly.

It was the lowest level spell she had but if it worked, there was a place for it.

Enna casts firebolt again at the same creature.
----- OOC -----
Roll Result: LuciferOs rolled: 1d20
Comment: firebolt dc
Total: 17 + 4 (int) + 2 (profficency bonus) = 23

Roll Result: LuciferOs rolled: 1d3
Comment: firebolt damage
Result: 2,
Total: 2

I really need more oomphy combat spells doing 2 damage is pathetic.
Firebolt is mainly to camp light fires.
----- ----- -----
Active threads

eternaldarkness

Aengus slams his hammer into the webbed nothic as Enna's firebolt scorches it, but still the creature won't fall. Then the battle ends abruptly as the already-gloomy day becomes darker still, and coming from the direction of the gate, you see a most curious sight - a masked humanoid figure in an elegant dress, with dozens of snake-headed tentacles sticking out from beneath it, writhing in the air around her..or him..it was hard to tell.

This humanoid being speaks with an oddly androgynous voice that seems to carry across the twon, echoing in everyones' ears.

"Who are these pathetic mortals that oppose me and kill my servants?"

Initiative ended unless someone attacks again.

LuciferOs

The mage's attention abruptly turned to the new enigmatic figure that appeared. Snakes from its dress ? what ? It talked too, and in common which was helpful. The servants of his or hers were powerful creatures indeed, especially due to what their gaze could do and were tough, taking them down needed the entire militia, if more could come things were doomed.

The only way to overcome the problem seemed to lie in this overlord changing their orders.

"I am lady Enna Siannodel, but I speak for myself. We are but humble residents and visitors of this village, we seek only what most people do ! Hope for the future, interest in what is elsewhere, and to further what situation we may find ourselves in. Your servants assaulted this village, it was not us that lay siege to lands elsewhere. What deaths have already occurred would mainly be due to your servants attacking innocents or those employed to protect this village ! Who YOU are and what YOU want, if you command them is much more to the topic ! I beg you call off your assault and resolve this peacefully ! "

Active threads

Kuroshu

"It is only common courtesy to introduce one's self before asking another." He keeps his arrow notched and ready to draw, as he peaks from the corner of the alley.