The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

I don't think the Season 11 comic for Smallville lasted very long. Dark Horse is still producing the Angel comic, but it called Angel and Faith now as Faith is working side by side with Angel in England.

Melinda Clark is an actress who has been on a variety of shows. Played the Amazon turned God Valesca (I think that is her name) who ate Ambrosia like Callisto. Though Melinda Clark is probably best known for her role on Nikita as a nemesis to Maggie Q's character. Jessica Priest was a character from the live action Spawn movie. She also had a role on Chuck as another villain, same episode as John Laraquette playing Roan Montgomery for the first time.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 23, 2015, 09:09:21 PM
Does that really matter at this point? Its going to be recommended to anyone who watched Daredevil.  Marvel has been hitting home run after home run with there releases with the lowest being Iron Man 3. So factoring this in with the fact the last Netflix show Marvel did was a hit. The Hype Train is 100% real!

Not for hype, no, just so we have something of an idea of how dark it will be and how parallel it will be to the comics. Now I'm reasonably certain it will be extremely dark and very much a different story but similar in tone to the comics.

Makes me wonder about Kilgrave, too. Is he on SHIELD's short list of powered individuals and just eluded capture? Or did he get caught before and was busted out during the HYDRA incident in SHIELD? Or is he just so good at not getting caught he's just been at it this entire time and Jessica never thought to change her name and try to never be found by him again? Where exactly did his powers come from, is he going to be an Inhuman in this version or some other brand of metahuman? So many juicy questions, I do hope they get some resolution. With Daredevil it's less complicated and will be explored further in Iron Fist, with all the mysticism. Jessica, Kilgrave and Luke Cage's slightly more crude methods of acquiring powers should be touched on more, I hope.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Actually I'm getting burned out. The same thing is happening in the MCU that happened in the comics. Just too much. I mean yeah, folklore is one thing. Those are the unifying bits of cultural mythology that bind. Everyone at this point knows that Batman will always lose his parents, Superman is the Last Son of Krypton, and Spider-Man will learn with the Machiavelli quote. That's one thing, that's how come I can watch four Batman films and unless it's just bad generally enjoy myself because it's like Beowful or John Henry, or Cinderella, everyone know the key points.

But keeping up with a narrative continuity spanning one TV show like a dozen films, and two Netflix series (of which I'm locked out of because I can't stream TV shows) is growing beyond the ability to actually support it on the silver screen. It's one thing to have your tome of curious and forgotten lore, but it's another to keep butts in seats for more than three hours tops. It was an ambitious project and a great feat, and I'm glad it looks to be ending at Infinity War, because if it doesn't end, it's going to implode. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on October 23, 2015, 10:50:22 PM
Not for hype, no, just so we have something of an idea of how dark it will be and how parallel it will be to the comics. Now I'm reasonably certain it will be extremely dark and very much a different story but similar in tone to the comics.

Makes me wonder about Kilgrave, too. Is he on SHIELD's short list of powered individuals and just eluded capture? Or did he get caught before and was busted out during the HYDRA incident in SHIELD? Or is he just so good at not getting caught he's just been at it this entire time and Jessica never thought to change her name and try to never be found by him again? Where exactly did his powers come from, is he going to be an Inhuman in this version or some other brand of metahuman? So many juicy questions, I do hope they get some resolution. With Daredevil it's less complicated and will be explored further in Iron Fist, with all the mysticism. Jessica, Kilgrave and Luke Cage's slightly more crude methods of acquiring powers should be touched on more, I hope.

Kilgrave was probably that good staying off the radar. He's clearly not purple (yet?) and with mind control abilities that allow him to make anyone do what he wants it was definitely easy to hide. He probably made it so a lot of people don't remember him but still left some bread crumbs behind. Like a mental serial killer so to speak, he wants someone to try following the bread crumbs and catch him.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Yeah, but the guy has to sleep sometimes, so I figured he'd have to consistently have the best possible strategy involved to prevent himself from being caught unawares. Imagine a Jessica on the warpath who instead of living in fear, is actively hunting him, possibly making his face and such known to the public, turning the tables on him and making HIM the one that has to be afraid to close his eyes at night...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

He doesn't seem like the type to be that worried. He probably has this figured out and you have to remember all the big players in the MCU are busy doing other stuff and not even SHIELD has the manpower to chase every conspiracy involving powers at the same time. I'm sure it's on there list but while the Avengers are busy battling Ultron and Aliens and SHIELD focusing primarily on people who have more obvious powers like Inhumans and fighting Hydra they just can't deal with it.

Once Jessica Jones and Luke Cage start making ripples with there powers (since super strength is more obvious a power)then it will be bumped up the SHIELD list. Especially if they are watching Hells Kitchen now  since Daredevil took down Fisk.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 24, 2015, 09:51:31 AM
He doesn't seem like the type to be that worried. He probably has this figured out and you have to remember all the big players in the MCU are busy doing other stuff and not even SHIELD has the manpower to chase every conspiracy involving powers at the same time. I'm sure it's on there list but while the Avengers are busy battling Ultron and Aliens and SHIELD focusing primarily on people who have more obvious powers like Inhumans and fighting Hydra they just can't deal with it.

Once Jessica Jones and Luke Cage start making ripples with there powers (since super strength is more obvious a power)then it will be bumped up the SHIELD list. Especially if they are watching Hells Kitchen now  since Daredevil took down Fisk.

Makes me wonder about Frank Castle, too. Has he just been anonymously operating the way he's been doing (apparently in The Winter Soldier, he was driving the truck that ran over Jasper Sitwell after Bucky tossed the little squealer into traffic) and not actually assumed the Punisher identity yet, since the reaction people seem to have with Daredevil seems to indicate that no other major vigilantes have ever made the papers before. Once all these major street-level people start making noise, it definitely should get Coulson's attention since according to the synopsis for the Defenders, he's the one commissioned with bringing them together. But now with all the Inhumans that are each individually probably at least as powerful as most of the Defenders, and there's a hell of a lot more of them...just makes me wonder if the SHIELD folks will even need the Defenders, so maybe they'll just end up being their own separate, Netflix-only thing.

REALLY hoping they're bringing back Blade, too, on Netflix. Them doing it as a movie doesn't make sense right now, especially with the already super-crowded Phase 3 roster, and I think if they're going to bring something that huge into the fold, namely actual vampires (now THAT is something I'd like to see stay under the radar all this time...I seriously think Doctor Strange needs to be the impetus for supernatural threats to materialize when they weren't there before, otherwise there's some serious nonsense about how this all never got investigated before.) Even if it's only Blade's daughter, that would work much better as a Netflix series, especially if they want to show someone getting their neck bitten open.

SapphireStar

Casting update for Agent Carter. They have added Kurtwood Smith to the cast.

I caught a glimpse of a news article in passing. Apparently, Hugh Jackman endorsed Tom Hardy to be the next Wolverine.

CaptainNexus616

Hmmmm interesting choice. Hardy has played some gritty characters such as Mad Max and Bane...I can see it

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 25, 2015, 10:09:54 AM
Hmmmm interesting choice. Hardy has played some gritty characters such as Mad Max and Bane...I can see it
I agree. Very interesting choice.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on October 25, 2015, 10:33:46 AM
I agree. Very interesting choice.

I've just seen him in too many roles as a pompous d-bag. Same with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Can they not give these guys at least one role that forces them to at least pretend they can show a little humility?

On a non-DC or Marvel related note, I just watched this 30-minute short film on Netflix called Kung Fury, which was presented as a satire of an 80's movie with all the cliches and style of that era, but using today's computer graphics for the majority of the action. If you've seen Kung Fu Hustle, imagine the last fight seen between the main character and the bad guys stretched into a half-hour superhero/buddy cop/time travel film...with Nazis. I'm not saying I want to see Marvel try to do anything like that, but...those guys should be consulted about working on characters like Shang Chi and Iron Fist and possibly other stuff, too.

SapphireStar

The Flash just introduced a new villain. King Shark has arrived in Central City at the end of The Fury of Firestorm episode. King Shark looks awesome. They're also teasing Killer Frost will appear, either the current Caitlyn or Earth 2 version. And, Cisco might eventually become Vibe as hinted by both Wells and Stein.

Mini update: It looks like there is a possibility Mirror Master will appear in Season 2. I hope they get Alexis Densihof to play the role as he did the voice for Mirror Master. And, Mark Hamill looks to be returning as The Trickster.

Skynet

I've been pleasantly surprised at the more or less "revival" of superheroes in movies these past years.  Marvel in particular made some really good ones, such as the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.  DC hasn't exactly caught up, with the exception of the Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel.  I'm sort of hesitant and excited about the upcoming Batman v Superman movie, on account of their wildly varying levels of power.

Mathim

Quote from: Skynet on October 28, 2015, 01:17:13 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised at the more or less "revival" of superheroes in movies these past years.  Marvel in particular made some really good ones, such as the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.  DC hasn't exactly caught up, with the exception of the Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel.  I'm sort of hesitant and excited about the upcoming Batman v Superman movie, on account of their wildly varying levels of power.

Superman has the same problem as the Incredible Hulk: Very little can threaten him. I mean, at least in TIH, the Abomination was able to physically hurt him and stand in his way as a legitimate obstacle. Zod in MoS was just an indestructible punching bag that Superman irresponsibly allowed to fight him in a populated area where lots of collateral damage could be done. That final neck-snapping at the end came out of the fucking nowhere, too. I know DC wants to catch up to Marvel but honestly, I think everybody, their fans included, would rather they take the slow, careful Marvel approach that worked so well to build up everything they are currently enjoying as the most successful franchise of all time.

SapphireStar

There was an article which came out recently regarding the Dawn of Justice movie. Apparently, they altered the script for Jesse Eisenberg when he was cast as Lex. The one thing Marvel has done right was being able to tie in all the movies with the tv shows. That way the continuity flowed. DC has done a pretty good job with the tv shows, the animated series and animated movies. Marvel hasn't been able to produce animated movies at the steady pace DC has.

CaptainNexus616

Makes sense. The main focus for Marvel is the Cinematic Universe which takes a lot of money and effort to make. While releasing the occasional Avengers cartoon series along with Hulk or Spidey.

With no Cinematic Universe yet for DC they can focus their efforts on more small scale stuff like animation.

You know we need some Marvel games on the level of the Batman Arkham series.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 28, 2015, 12:28:36 PM
There was an article which came out recently regarding the Dawn of Justice movie. Apparently, they altered the script for Jesse Eisenberg when he was cast as Lex. The one thing Marvel has done right was being able to tie in all the movies with the tv shows. That way the continuity flowed. DC has done a pretty good job with the tv shows, the animated series and animated movies. Marvel hasn't been able to produce animated movies at the steady pace DC has.

Well, put your best foot forward. Their Invincible Iron Man and Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme were just so-so. Their live-action stuff, and TV animated stuff is obviously their strong suit. DC's theatrical stuff is really hit-or-miss but their animated stuff tends to outshine any of their live-action things, though their TV stuff is getting better as it goes along.

SapphireStar

Caught an article regarding Captain Marvel. Apparently, Olivia Wilde is throwing her hat into the ring as a possible contender to play Captain Marvel.

Mathim

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on October 29, 2015, 04:12:46 AM
I have to go with 'whuh?' as well...

Okay, that makes me feel better. I thought I might have been the odd man out. She gave a really good performance in Butter, and she's got action experience from the albeit lackluster Tron Legacy. I certainly prefer her over current public and seemingly also studio favorite, Emily Blunt.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 28, 2015, 02:54:38 PM
Makes sense. The main focus for Marvel is the Cinematic Universe which takes a lot of money and effort to make. While releasing the occasional Avengers cartoon series along with Hulk or Spidey.

With no Cinematic Universe yet for DC they can focus their efforts on more small scale stuff like animation.

You know we need some Marvel games on the level of the Batman Arkham series.

There have been plenty of Marvel games... Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 Enter Electro, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, End of Time and Ultimate Spider-Man, both X-Men Legend games, Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge, Maximum Carnage and more including the X-Men and Punisher arcade games... Oh and I still have my Iron-Man and X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal on my Game Gear as well... Then consider the fighting games that have been done... Marvel has had better games then DC if you are old enough to remember the classic days.

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on October 30, 2015, 06:22:02 PM
There have been plenty of Marvel games... Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 Enter Electro, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, End of Time and Ultimate Spider-Man, both X-Men Legend games, Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge, Maximum Carnage and more including the X-Men and Punisher arcade games... Oh and I still have my Iron-Man and X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal on my Game Gear as well... Then consider the fighting games that have been done... Marvel has had better games then DC if you are old enough to remember the classic days.

That's probably only 1/4 of all the Marvel games they've released...before 2000, LOL. But the movie companies don't have to worry about the games, and I'm not quite sure how financing works with that...does the intellectual property owner help co-finance the game or do they just sell/rent the license to the developer and the developer comes up with the funding on their own? I'm sure it's more complicated than how movies are produced, at any rate. I think there are probably more failures of games to be decent adaptations of movie licenses than there are failures of movies to be good adaptations of video games (but then there are fewer games likely to be made into movies than the other way around...)

I know Marvel is trying to do genre films that throw in superheroes, so I was wondering if Marvel ever decided to do a found footage movie (or an episode of one of their TV shows, whether AoS or one of the Netflix series), which one would be the best hero/show/theme for them to do one about?

CaptainNexus616

I was rewatching Daredevil (I lost track how many times this make)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Am I the only one who wishes Ben Urich didn't die? He was an awesome mentor like character Karen. While I also thought Westly was an awesome evil character and shouldn't have died either

SapphireStar

According to several reports, Deadpool will exist in both the X-men film universe and the MCU! If true, it would be awesome to see him appear on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, etc.