A dark storm is coming

Started by Lady Jenn, August 19, 2015, 10:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

komurasaki

It was true that they hadn't the slightest idea what to look for the first time. So she guessed it was a good idea to go back and recheck everything they could. Confused at Toms statement Faith turned around in her seat and looked out the back windshield. "What do you mean? I don't see anything.." She told him as she sat back down proper and looked at him. She really didn't understand why he acted so smug half the time, but he was good at his job.

Lady Jenn

"The car by the café," Tom said, trying to avoid looking back for too long. "That bay is for loading only, locals campaigned for months to stop people parking there. If you're a local why would you park somewhere you'd know would piss off the owner of the café you're about to eat in?" As they reached the forest he came to a stop. "Besides, judging by the number plates that car is displaying either it's come a very long way for a coffee or someone is really bad at blending into the background."

komurasaki

"oh.." was all Faith could say. The smallest details never seemed to bypass Tom's detective eyes. "Okay so the Feds or whom ever are snooping around, so what new could we possible find here?.." She said as she stepped out and started to look around the forest. Not sure what she should be looking for.

Lady Jenn

"Judging by the size of that...thing it would've struggled to not leave some sign of its passing," Tom replied as he approached where the crime scene had been taped off. "Footprints, disturbed vegetation...or even just anything that looks out of...place..." Tom's casual glance of the area had caught sight of something: a fluorescent green patch on the side of a tree. "I'm not a nature expert but I don't think moss USUALLY does that." He stepped nearer to take a closer look. "Want to take a guess on what this is?"

komurasaki

Fallowing him Faith had looked around and missed the moss. "Nuclear waste..?" She answered him half joking and half confused as to what it could really be. "I don't know." She looked at it and studied it, trying to make sense of it and giving up with a sigh. "It looks like a weird colored moss.. What do you think it is?" She stepped back to see if she could find anything else around while she waited for his reply. Maybe she shouldn't have come with him she was obviously no of no use. But at least this would make for a nice article.

Lady Jenn

"I don't know," Tom said, scratching his chin. "I can exactly call Dembski for advice, which would be helpful." He had become so distracted trying to figure out what he was looking at he hadn't noticed something else: visible just beneath one of the bushes was what looked a footprint, with more of the strange green substance. It seemed to form a trail leading away from the scene.

komurasaki

Faith looked around more and found the footprint half hidden under the bushes. She squatted down to study them for a bit and found the same substance on them. "Hey Tom!" she called out to him while trying to see where they lead to. 'I guess they did miss a few things at first..' she thought to herself as she stood back up and stretched.

Lady Jenn

"That looks like tracks," Tom said, fairly casually at first until he looked more closely at them and swore under his breath. "These are fresh tracks by the look of it. It may still be around here and I've got no gun on me." He took a moment to think. "Would you think I'm crazy if I suggested we have a quick chat to these Feds?"

komurasaki

Confusion showed on her face as she looked at Tom. "Why would you want to talk to the Fed?" She asked, "What help could they be to us?" She took out her note pad and jotted down a few things to remember and also sketched the footprints down so they'd have a reference to look at if they needed to.

Lady Jenn

"Cos if there is a risk to anyone else in this town we need to know what we're dealing with," Tom said, grimacing. "And right now I have the worrying feeling these Feds are the only ones with the answers. Unless you're brave enough to try confronting this thing anyway?"

komurasaki

She shook her head 'no'. "Umm.. I'll pass on that." She said with a half laugh. "let's go talk to the feds then. Maybe they could give us some sort of clue as to what we are dealing with." She turned and started to walk back towards the car. "So.. Tom.. What are we going to ask these Feds? I mean.." She paused looking for the right words. "Do we want to just come right out and ask what they all know about these murders? Would they even tell us the truth about what they know?" She fell silent and looked back to see if he was fallowing as she continued her way back to the car.

Lady Jenn

"Leave this to me," Tom said as they got in the car. "Before I came here I worked in New York, I've got plenty of experience of getting Feds to give me a straight answer." He drove to the diner, where the car was still parked, and led her inside. Sat at a table near the window were two men, one reading a newspaper and one drinking a cup of coffee, both wearing clean, freshly pressed suits that made them stand out like a sore thumb. "You Feds need to work on your disguises if a small town cop like me can tell you're here."

"Detective, allow me to give you a piece of friendly advice," the man with the newspaper said. "If you don't want us to take this investigation out of your hands entirely you'll walk away now."

"Not gonna happen," Tom said, pulling up a chair and sitting at the table. "There's an unidentified creature running around killing young women and you guys are doing the worst surveillance job I've ever seen. I think you owe us answers."

"And what makes you think we owe you any answers?" the man with the coffee asked. Hidden under his chair was a bag, poking out of which was a large file with the word CLASSIFIED stamped in red ink across its top, next to a picture of the creatures face.

komurasaki

Fallowing on his heals Faith couldn't help but to be a little intimidated by the looks of the Feds. Something about them made her want to walk right back out and sit in the car. The obviously were used to getting their way and bossing people around. But she stayed. She stood a few feet away from Tom as he interacted with them. Observing them and the things around them. She saw the file and wanted to badly to grab it and run. To just sneak a peek inside. Maybe then this would all make much more sense to every one.

With a small hand gesture she hoped Tom would notice she pointed down at the bag. Maybe if they worked together they could get the file without them noticing and be long gone before they noticed it was gone.

Lady Jenn

He eyed the file, glancing at it subtly enough the Feds wouldn't notice but cursing under his breath that he couldn't simply snatch it from them.

"There's something here that's not human," Tom said quietly enough only the Feds and Faith could hear him. "I don't know whether you're trying to cover up what it's doing or whether you're as clueless as we are but before some local nut with a gun kills it you need to start giving me a straight answer."

"The women are...collateral damage," the coffee-drinking Fed said. "Leave it to us, I'm sure you can find a convenient scapegoat for the murders."

""You son of a-" Tom started saying before his phone buzzed. He took one look at the screen and smiled. "Well I think we're done here," he said to the two men. "I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again soon." He stood up, taking Faith by the hand and leading her out of the café, dialling a number on his phone. "Taz, you sure this information is good? Okay, we'll be over there asap."

komurasaki

Faith was shocked at what the fed's had to say and even more shocked at the way Tom grabbed her hand and ushered her out of the café. Before she could say anything he was on his phone again. Waiting for him to finished she looked at him bewildered. "What was that all about!" she yelled at him. "I can't believe those guys! How could they!"

Lady Jenn

"If my contact is right they're scared people find out this thing is," Tom said, clambering into the car. "I don't think this case is anywhere near as simple as I hoped. "I should advise we're about to visit a friend who is...outside the bounds of the law," he said with a chuckle. "If you are happy to keep certain details from the press come with me, if not I'd better do this alone."

komurasaki

Of course she was going with him. She wasn't going to back out now even if he told her none of it was to be released to the public. She was curious to know what was going on. "Yeah I'll keep it out of the press." She told him as she crossed her heart. "So who exactly is this friend of yours?" She asked as she slide into the passengers seat and waited for him to drive off to their next location.

Lady Jenn

"She's a computer hacker," Tom said as they pulled up outside a rather non-descript house on the edge of town. "She once told me if she can't hack a system for you no-one can, we should really hope the Feds don't find out about her." He knocked on the door, which was followed by the sound of scrambling from behind the door. It opened to reveal a girl about Faith's age, tousled red hair sat on the top of her head, a bath towel wrapped around her and a toothbrush jammed in her mouth. "Did we interrupt you Taz?"

"If you were interrupting I'd have told you to gimme time before turning up," Taz replied, pulling the toothbrush out of her mouth and looking Faith up and down with a smile. "Detective, you should've told me you were bringing a beautiful woman with you, I'd have been wearing something more appropriate." She opened the door wide, revealing a sitting room covered in papers and open files. "Make yourselves comfortable, I'll go upstairs and throw some clothes on."

"I forgot to warn you Taz is a bit of a...character," Tom said once she was out of earshot, trying to stifle a laugh as he sat in one of the armchairs.