Swordsman (or swordsperson if you wish)

Started by Zeitgeist, January 16, 2009, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Pretty much.  As is true with nearly any set of directions for things we do often enough that they become virtually automatic.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

dready

Indeed, but tis also automatic as well if your subconcious picks up on things that you don't realize. Though i'm not a swordsman myself (irl i play belegarth with a two handed club) but yet i use it as if it was a katana whilst trained via the crab, scorpion, and crane styles rather mixed together... is it strange to know how to do such a combination without knowing about it until after i was asked what sort of style i use?

Vandren

Quote from: dready on February 10, 2009, 09:23:04 PMIndeed, but tis also automatic as well if your subconcious picks up on things that you don't realize. Though i'm not a swordsman myself (irl i play belegarth with a two handed club) but yet i use it as if it was a katana whilst trained via the crab, scorpion, and crane styles rather mixed together... is it strange to know how to do such a combination without knowing about it until after i was asked what sort of style i use?

Sorry, I'd reply, but I'm having trouble making sense of the statement and question.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

dready

Quote from: Vandren on February 10, 2009, 09:29:15 PM
Sorry, I'd reply, but I'm having trouble making sense of the statement and question.
is it strange to have a muscle memory to something you have never done, seen, or known of before?

Trieste

I don't believe that actually falls under muscle memory, unless your muscles are doing some odd astral travel trick without you.

In which case, kick them.

Vandren

Quote from: dready on February 10, 2009, 09:49:28 PMis it strange to have a muscle memory to something you have never done, seen, or known of before?

Yep, that wouldn't be muscle memory.  Don't really see the relevance in the context of the original post/point, though.

dready

well whatever it is, my body knows exactly how to use a two (or one and a half) handed weapon without any previous training or knowledge other than the basic slash, stab, and chopping actions.

Vandren

There's formal (classroom, dojo, whatever) and informal training (self-teaching, film, whatever).  There's also natural talent.  :)

Mnemaxa

Quote from: dready on February 10, 2009, 09:49:28 PM
is it strange to have a muscle memory to something you have never done, seen, or known of before?

It's natural talent.  I have similar things go on when I practice kung-fu, particularly Chin-na grappling techniques.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: dready on February 10, 2009, 10:13:31 PM
well whatever it is, my body knows exactly how to use a two (or one and a half) handed weapon without any previous training or knowledge other than the basic slash, stab, and chopping actions.
No, it's not that weird. It just comes more naturally to some people - others would have a harder time with it, but would have less trouble with one-handed weapons.
I believe it has more to do with less tangible factors like psychic, a preferred way to move, or even your clothing - many of them being often underestimated or not considered at all.

QuoteWakizashi is typically worn beside/over the katana.  At least in every drawing/painting I've ever seen from classical Japan.  Both go edge up ("blade up" is physically impossible, if the sword is to stay in the scabbard), because it is easier to draw the sword in a fluid manner thanks to the curve--to draw and cut in one motion--as the scabbard is basically tucked into the belt, rather than hanging from the belt in the Western style.
Yeah, I was looking for "edge up", but didn't remember the idiom. Sorry for that, sometimes my limited mastery of English leads to such blunders.
For the record, I have been shown the turning of the scabbard that Oniya described - I don't know how "historical" it is, but it looks a good way to draw the blade fast.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Mnemaxa

The turning of the scabbard is actually a necessity in iado.  Katanas used properly in iado require a draw-cut, rather than the hacking motion most people think they use; turning the scabbard allows you to direct an immediate draw cut towards someone without the added trouble of drawing the blade entirely from the scabbard and THEN attacking. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Trieste

Is now way off-topic and probably time to create another thread to discuss sword-ness elsewhere...