News:

Main Menu

Coffee or Tea?

Started by Slaven, August 25, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaven

So in my short stay here, I've seen a lot of people talking about their want or need for a caffeine fix. In almost every random discussion it always comes up: Either coffee or tea.

So I figured it would be fun to present the question to everyone and see exactly what it was they use to get them through their daily dose of caffeine.

Coffee or Tea? Do you drink either or both? How do you like it? Do you prefer herbal teas or sweet teas and do you prefer plain coffee, espressos, or frozen coffees?

Let the discussion begin!

I personally prefer a warm sun tea at least once a day to help relax me. ;)
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Inkidu

Coffee. Tea is gross to me and only fit to be thrown in Boston harbor... and no Britain we will not boil the ocean first.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Xanatos

There are a lot of American's who drink soda and now an increasing trend of people who drink those vile energy drinks; though I admit to having one, rarely, if I seriously need a quick dirty energy boost. However, I can't have a whole can (which is two servings if drinking a normal Rockstar) because it screws up my breathing.

I think the reason for the rise in energy drinks is convenience as with most things and it tastes a hell of a lot better than the bitter crap most coffee is. Mocha's and the like do NOT count, as they are by en large milk product - milk, chocolate, cream, whipped cream. A person is getting far more sugar than caffeine from those.

Inkidu

Quote from: Xanatos on August 25, 2011, 06:48:26 PM
There are a lot of American's who drink soda and now an increasing trend of people who drink those vile energy drinks; though I admit to having one, rarely, if I seriously need a quick dirty energy boost. However, I can't have a whole can (which is two servings if drinking a normal Rockstar) because it screws up my breathing.

I think the reason for the rise in energy drinks is convenience as with most things and it tastes a hell of a lot better than the bitter crap most coffee is. Mocha's and the like do NOT count, as they are by en large milk product - milk, chocolate, cream, whipped cream. A person is getting far more sugar than caffeine from those.
That's funny because I think that energy drinks taste like bitter cough syrup with carbonation. However, a halfway decent cup of coffee is much more appealing and probably better for the sake of health.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Will

All of the above for myself.  I have a very real caffeine addiction, and that is not a joke.  If I don't have it, I get throbbing headaches and have difficulty focusing.  When I do get it, it doesn't really give me energy; it just relieves those symptoms and wakes me up a little.

I love coffee primarily, but also tea (though my tea may or may not be caffeinated) and energy drinks.  I don't drink coffee very much at all in the summer; it's way too friggin hot.  I tend to grab energy drinks on my way to work or on break or something.  Some of them are indeed nasty, but some of them I enjoy quite a lot.  I often wonder what the long term effects will be of drinking so many energy drinks/shots will be... I mean, they haven't been available for long enough to know, have they?  I can't imagine getting a thousand percent of my daily recommended allowance of B12 is going to be good for me. >.>
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Slaven

Quote from: Xanatos on August 25, 2011, 06:48:26 PM

I'm traditional myself. I've used energy drinks before and the crash you have when they wear off isn't worth it. A simply cup of coffee or tea allows you to loosen up and become more alert without the crashing later. Anyone who has used those 'five hour energy drinks' knows exactly what I mean. That said, it takes me a large number of energy drinks to even get a slight bit of an energy buzz. I downed a Monster and chased it with three five hour energies one night and was passed out an hourlate.

Quote from: Will on August 25, 2011, 07:06:55 PM
  I can't imagine getting a thousand percent of my daily recommended allowance of B12 is going to be good for me. >.>

We all have our guilty moment.

Silverfyre

I have only been able to stomach two energy drinks: Bawls (yeah, laugh it up) and 5-hour Energy.  I'm not a big fan of the whole energy drink crave in general but that's more a matter of personal taste than anything.

I was raised in a Canadian household so that means that coffee and tea are a staple.  I have been an avid "Red Rose" tea drinker since I was quite young and am a big fan of the darker roast coffees.  I purchased a Keurig single-serving coffee maker last year and it has been a wonderful product for those who enjoy sampling different coffees and teas, such as myself. 

So yes, to both coffee and tea for me.

Jag

TEA!...Okay, I got that out of my system.

Tea does have caffeine, but it really comes down to taste. Many think tea has a bitter taste or makes their mouth feel dry. Personally, I don't like coffee because of the taste (and because it messes horribly with my stomach). I don't drink tea for the caffeine, I drink it for the taste.

As for herbals, blends, etc...all of them. I drink bagged and loose leaf. Herbals and 'true' teas. Green, black, oolong, white, red, herbal. Homemade and store bought. I do feel lucky that I am within an hour of a wonderful tea store that hand blends their tea.

Energy drinks go in the same basket as coffee for me. Soda...I like Orange.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Slaven

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 25, 2011, 07:20:24 PM
Personally, I don't like coffee because of the taste (and because it messes horribly with my stomach).

Oh, it's been so long since I've had coffee that I actually forgot about that. Coffee does horrifying things to my stomach as well. horrible, painful things that were worth repressing in my memories.

Oniya

Quote from: Will on August 25, 2011, 07:06:55 PM
I can't imagine getting a thousand percent of my daily recommended allowance of B12 is going to be good for me. >.>

http://women.emedtv.com/vitamin-b12/vitamin-b12-safety.html

There are probably other things in energy drinks that are more dangerous than the 1000% USRDA of B12.  For example, I've seen someone go into a caffeine overdose after consuming a pot of strong coffee (filled it to the 8-10 line) and chasing it with a Red Bull.

As for me, I start with a cup of tea in the morning.  Around 2:30, I either scavenge a cup of strong coffee and cut it 1:1 with milk, or brew a cup of instant in milk instead of water (for that '2:30 feeling').  Then, after putting the little Oni down, I have a weak cup of coffee before I start work.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Haloriel

I hold a general preference for tea over coffee.

However, that said: Loose leaf tea - preferably Earl Grey, well steeped in an infusion ball, covered for at least five minutes.  (Yes, I am very exact.)

As to coffee: Fresh ground is lovely with just a hint of cream and only two sugar cubes.

Lastly?  Bawls is amazing.  Just had to put in my two currency.

Slaven

Since it's on the subject matter, I'm certain there are plenty of people here that enjoy some nice Bawls.

Silverfyre

Haloriel especially loves them I hear. :P

Haloriel

~snicker~  Nice one Silver.

Slaven

Quote from: Silverfyre on August 25, 2011, 07:51:57 PM
Haloriel especially loves them I hear. :P

Would have only been better had you asked if she liked her Bawls warm.

Haloriel

Thank you for saying it for me, Slaven ... because I was so thinking it. :D

Slaven

I'm sure it was on the silent thoughts of everyone who had glanced through this thread in the last ten minutes.

Back on topic, however. I find green teas much more satisfying than black teas. For me, black teas are hard to make taste good without the addition of sugar. A good lemon green tea with a dash of cinnamon is hard to beat though.

Silverfyre

I'm a terrible gentleman tonight it seems. 

Craz

Given the choice? Tea, earl grey, hot. My dad turned me onto it during my junior year of high school, when I was taking Advanced Placement. I've also grown attached to mocha frappucinos. I like my coffee all Starbucksy and wussy-like. I blame NaNoWriMo. I've spent more money at coffee shops in the past month than I have in the past three years.

Will

Quote from: Oniya on August 25, 2011, 07:31:39 PM
http://women.emedtv.com/vitamin-b12/vitamin-b12-safety.html

There are probably other things in energy drinks that are more dangerous than the 1000% USRDA of B12.  For example, I've seen someone go into a caffeine overdose after consuming a pot of strong coffee (filled it to the 8-10 line) and chasing it with a Red Bull.

As for me, I start with a cup of tea in the morning.  Around 2:30, I either scavenge a cup of strong coffee and cut it 1:1 with milk, or brew a cup of instant in milk instead of water (for that '2:30 feeling').  Then, after putting the little Oni down, I have a weak cup of coffee before I start work.

That's definitely an interesting link, but I'm more concerned with the long term effects of having that 1000% a few times a week for, say, ten or fifteen years.  And I agree about the other things in the drink, too.  B12 was just the first example I grabbed for.  The effects of long term caffeine use, however, are pretty well documented I would think.  I know that's bad for me. XD  It's the unknown I'm concerned about.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Well, water soluble vitamins don't tend to build up in the body - I've heard that some B-supplements can cause some entertaining (but harmless) results when you pee them out, though.  Most of the vitamins that do have toxic effects are fat-soluble (A, D, E, and K) and get stored in the body.  The article did list some short-term 'overdose' symptoms (which looked a lot like the standard 'body-get-rid-of-bad-stuff' reactions), and of course if you suffer from those on a frequent basis, it's going to have an effect on you (malabsorption and dehydration at a minimum).

On a whim, I looked up a few popular daily multi-vitamins and checked the nutritional info - most of the B vitamins (had to dredge my memory on the actual names on some) were at or above 100% - one was as high as 1667% for B12 (a 'for Men' vitamin) and as I recall, the B's are the ones they dump into most energy drinks. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Xanatos

B-Vitamins supposedly open up the blood veins which allows more blood, thus giving the impression of more energy... or so I've heard -shrugs-.

Slaven

For some reason I have an awkward feeling that we might have some possible nutrition majors present.

Oniya

Nah.  *points to custom text*  Not me, anyways.