Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition... or incest... or conversos.

Started by Tant de Tentation, June 03, 2008, 02:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tant de Tentation

And all at once?  Now that's really novel.

I had this idea for a roleplay.  Now, I want to start out with just one other person, because that's simply how I work best, and anyway, I think it's a fairly limited region of interest.  I also like to play more than one character.  That said, here's the premise.

The year is 1508, thirty years after the Inquisition began.  All Jews have, as per the Alhambra Decree of 1492, been evicted from Spain.  However, the de Morales family (formerly Melamed, changed to protect themselves from the Inquisition), stays behind to keep up their jewelry-selling business and their happy life in Spain, so they convert in name to Catholicism.  OK, bear with me, here.  The family has three children, two boys and a girl.  The eldest son, Jorge, is obsessed with bettering his station, and only wants to make a good marriage and erase any suspicion of his Judaism, though they secretly still keep to some worship.  He may later be one who could turn in the family for his own gain.  The family itself is basically a good one, very close, though the father's a little distant. 

The other two siblings, however, are those around whom the story centers.  The middle brother, Lorencio [I'd want to play him, ideally], is hopelessly in love with his younger sister, Sancha.  He's principally the reason--because he's been making overprotective excuses--why his sister is still unmarried at 18.  He himself is likewise unmarried at 20, and very awkward around women.  He's fine with men, but a little odd in general: very rational, out of touch with emotions, and dreamy, dedicated to his studies of Aristotle and other philosophers--he'd like to study the Hebrew Torah, but they don't dare, of course.  He and his sister both try to uphold their religion, though they know little about it; she is, perhaps, more pious (and thus somewhat resistant to his subtle flirtation). 

Lorencio is mostly just obsessed with her. She distracts him from the work he does in their shop, keeping accounts, and from his studies, and generally makes him crazy.  Maybe she starts flirting a little with some man, and this drives him over the edge; perhaps he could challenge that guy to a duel or something so extreme that she'd have to ask him, essentially, what the hell's going on.  He might confess, and argue for love regardless of taboo, and then we'd see...

I have the vague notion it'll end in some sort of tragedy, but I'm not REALLY into character death.  I suppose we'll see where it goes, right?  I want to build up a really good storyline with this, so I would like someone who's dedicated, willing to expend time and effort, and ideally willing to talk to me over IM (a much easier way for me to plot).

Thanks for reading this insanely complicated story, and feel free to suggest a way to modify my idea if you have a better one!
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

Anteros

ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Tant de Tentation

That's the one I wanted.  *sniffles*  *kills Anteros*  We are talking about this, so no worries. ^.^ 

Anyone else?
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.