Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

I just finished watching the unveil of the Xbox One. The new generation of Xbox console gaming. What do you think about it? How will it compare to the PS4?

What are you thoughts on the next generation of gaming consoles?

On the new Xbox One...

Personally, I was impressed with the ease of use and full home entertainment integration. The interface looked about standard to what I'm used to and looked fairly intuitive. The specs left me a little puzzled with a few questions about the dedicated graphics and a bit concerned with how much the kinect sensor may or may not interfere with interface interaction.

The press releases tell the tale that we all expected. Used games will require an activation fee. "Games are linked to accounts."

I'm not a first person shooter player but the Call of Duty: Ghosts for the Xbox One looked amazing. I would say though, I was more impressed with the game play featured on the PS4 launch, "Watch_Dogs" but that game is more appealing to me personally because I don't like the FPS's

So thoughts, spec debates?  Was there really any reason for Nintendo to bother making a new console? In my opinion they are so far behind the curve that they should scrap the current console and try again or just give up.

<random links for info>

Xbox One Is Not Always Online, But Seems To Restrict Used Games
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-is-not-always-online-but-seems-to-block-used-509077987

Xbox One Requires Kinect To Function
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-requires-kinect-to-function-509112572

Xbox One and PlayStation 4 specs compared
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-playstation-4-specs-compared/

Xbox Reveal: 'One' Console To Rule Them All
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/05/21/xbox-reveal-one-console-to-rule-them-all/

Xbox One:

Inkidu

[This bracketed section censors the most virulent, vile, profane words that Inkidu can muster]

It's like they want no one to play games ever again! Seriously? Always online, and used game blocking. I hate video games now. I mean always on line being a publish thing not a console thing.

Seriously, used game blocking isn't going to do anything. It's actually just going to drive down the selling point for new games. Seriously, people will just wait for new games to hit the acceptable price point before buying.   
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Theta Sigma

For me, personally, the whole used game blocking has turned me off. I missed the actual reveal, but came home to a slew of information and none of it has impressed me. I don't like the design, I didn't like the total lack of gameplay in any of the game videos... (Yes, I know it was just a hardware reveal, but still) And the thing looks hideous.
Big disappointment in all.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Moraline

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 03:42:13 PM
[This bracketed section censors the most virulent, vile, profane words that Inkidu can muster]

It's like they want no one to play games ever again! Seriously? Always online, and used game blocking. I hate video games now. I mean always on line being a publish thing not a console thing.

Seriously, used game blocking isn't going to do anything. It's actually just going to drive down the selling point for new games. Seriously, people will just wait for new games to hit the acceptable price point before buying.   
I'm with you. I think it's going to kill the used game market. There's no point in paying $20 for a used game then another $10-20 to activate it. You might as well just buy it new or wait until it's old and on sale.

In my opinion they are going to kill the sale of physical copies of games by doing this. Places like Gamestop get something like 15% of their income from used games. Which doesn't sound like much but if you even take away 5% of a companies profits you are looking at possibly lowering share values and eventually putting them out of business.

I don't think companies like Wal-Mart would bother to continue to stock physical games either if it gets too costly for them and sales go down.  Which I see sales going down because once people just start buying them download/online, fewer and fewer will stop buying physical. It makes it not cost-effective for places like Wal-mart to bother selling them. In my opinion. That space can be used for more profitable business.

Quote from: GallifreyanGriff on May 21, 2013, 03:50:39 PM
For me, personally, the whole used game blocking has turned me off. I missed the actual reveal, but came home to a slew of information and none of it has impressed me. I don't like the design, I didn't like the total lack of gameplay in any of the game videos... (Yes, I know it was just a hardware reveal, but still) And the thing looks hideous.
Big disappointment in all.
Thanks for reminding me about design. I'll update the OP with images of the new console.

Theta Sigma

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Inkidu

Because naturally if you don't live in a place where you have a top-notch internet connection you obviously don't want to play any video games ever again. I think I'm going to look into investing into a PC. It used to be that consoles were hassle free, not anymore!

*Flips the God-damned table*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: They'd better give the God-damned Kinnect out for free then!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Moraline

Quote from: GallifreyanGriff on May 21, 2013, 03:53:44 PM
There's also this article that might come in handy to be linked: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-requires-kinect-to-function-509112572
Thanks, I updated the first post with images and that link.

That Kinect thing always on is what bothers me. I know with mine occasionally it gets in the way or does funky stuff. I usually turn it off in the settings because it's annoying. I like it in concept but not in practice.

Chris Brady

Welp, I know what console I'll be getting.

Sony has done right by me, it seems.

Also, Kinect Always On, what happens when you walk into the room naked?  I know several people who put their consoles in their bedroom.  Which they use for all sorts of *cough* gaming.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 03:57:57 PM
Because naturally if you don't live in a place where you have a top-notch internet connection you obviously don't want to play any video games ever again. I think I'm going to look into investing into a PC. It used to be that consoles were hassle free, not anymore!

*Flips the God-damned table*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

EDIT: They'd better give the God-damned connect out for free then!

Did you not hear about the Microsoft Exec who had an argument over Twitter about this? He basically said 'Why are you even living in a place without a top-notch internet connection?' like a total idiot. I'll see if I can find the article, actually...
Here we go: Linky.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Inkidu

Quote from: GallifreyanGriff on May 21, 2013, 04:02:47 PM
Did you not hear about the Microsoft Exec who had an argument over Twitter about this? He basically said 'Why are you even living in a place without a top-notch internet connection?' like a total idiot. I'll see if I can find the article, actually...
Here we go: Linky.
I can't bring myself to read it.

A.) My rage would be insatiable!

B.)I would probably get a Twitter account to roast him alive, and there are just some things I'm not willing to do.

EDIT: I $&*#@! read it! I'm glad he lost his job. I hope he never finds work in his field again, and I hope he has to live in a Podunk town with crappy broadband! D:<

Seriously, all your going to do is tank your sales if you force always-on. You should have incentives to promote always-on, not punishments.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 04:04:44 PM
I can't bring myself to read it.

A.) My rage would be insatiable!

B.)I would probably get a Twitter account to roast him alive, and there are just some things I'm not willing to do.

Haha, yeah, it is pretty bad. He was kicked off of Twitter and sacked, I believe.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Formless

I am a Playstationer.

The controller is the only reason I am sticking to it.

So unless Microsoft decided to remake their controller.I won't be interested.

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on May 21, 2013, 04:11:16 PM
I am a Playstationer.

They're functionally the same, last time I checked. ???

SinXAzgard21

So not only do you have to pay for a used game but also an activation fee.... WTF?  Yeah, fuck Xbox. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

I am a Playstationer.

Why would they, it's actually more comfortable and ergonomic than the PS3 one.  I have one of each (I have my brother's old XBox 360 controller for my PC) and it feels better.

Thing is, I go where the games go (if I have the money) and so far, the PS4 has the ones I'd like.

Also, I don't need a 'multimedia machine', my PC does it just fine.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

I am a Playstationer.

They did change it a bit.

However, some people are complaining about the changes and I'm with them.

I prefer the Xbox controller a lot more then the Sony one. I find the sony one too small and the controls feel backwards, and I hate the location of the stick.

... Which is funny because I spent more time playing my old old Sony Playstaion (the original) then I did any other console with the possible exception of my dad's Nintendo.
Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 04:13:36 PM
They're functionally the same, last time I checked. ???
Sony stick placement sucks and their triggers are blocky and not very trigger like.

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 21, 2013, 04:14:20 PM
So not only do you have to pay for a used game but also an activation fee.... WTF?  Yeah, fuck Xbox. 
Sony is reported to be doing the same thing.

Moraline

SinXAzgard21

Glad I'm not getting any next gen consoles and only playing pc from now on.

Inkidu

Quote from: Moraline on May 21, 2013, 04:18:53 PM
Sony is reported to be doing the same thing.
I'm telling you, besides killing off the used game market (or increasing piracy, or illegal mods) all it's going to do is drive down the price of new games. There's no way the market is going to bear the $60 price-point for new games. All it's going to do is drive the prices down quicker. I expect game to hit $40, $30, and the $20 a lot faster, a lot faster. It's doubtful that it's going to kill brick-n-mortar stores, but I'm sure it's going to cause a loss in profits in the long term.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 04:24:45 PM
I'm telling you, besides killing off the used game market (or increasing piracy, or illegal mods) all it's going to do is drive down the price of new games. There's no way the market is going to bear the $60 price-point for new games. All it's going to do is drive the prices down quicker. I expect game to hit $40, $30, and the $20 a lot faster, a lot faster. It's doubtful that it's going to kill brick-n-mortar stores, but I'm sure it's going to cause a loss in profits in the long term.

I remember when games were $80.  $60?  Whiners.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 21, 2013, 04:30:26 PM
I remember when games were $80.  $60?  Whiners.
They probably shouldn't be that high in today's market, but I think the used game market was help justifying that.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2013, 04:32:32 PM
They probably shouldn't be that high in today's market, but I think the used game market was help justifying that.
There's a huge issue with the Used Game Market, and it's several arms.

The first issue is every copy of a game you buy used (you being the gamer population) you're not paying the publisher or the developer any amount of it.  It's all going to the company that's selling you the used game.  At that point you might as well pirate, because the end effect to the Publishers and Developers is the same, but at least you're saving money.

So that won't lower the game price, and it also won't get you as many of your favourite publishers pumping a good game.  Because unless it's a triple A block buster that sells a minimum of about 10 million?  It's not worth the money to make.  Hell, the new Lara Croft game sold 3 million copies, and Square-Enix claims it didn't do 'well enough'.  (There's also another issue affecting this, namely the cost of making games is going uip to the point of stupidity, but it's not the main factor here, sadly.)

BUT, on the other hand, most trade-ins go towards new games.  So you need those trade-ins because that's how the publisher is making their money off new games. 

As for game prices going down?  HAH!  They could cost less than a million to make suddenly, and they'll still sell them to you at $60.  Why?  Because people are used to buying them at that price.  And they will keep doing so, because gamers are used to it.  We're comfortable, and as long as we're comfy with something, no matter how much we bitch and moan, nothing will change.

SinXAzgard21

Well if I have to pay a fee to play used games, looks like the consoles will not be in my house.  I'll stick with ps3 and my PC.  And if it comes to it, I'll just pirate.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 21, 2013, 04:54:45 PM
There's a huge issue with the Used Game Market, and it's several arms.

The first issue is every copy of a game you buy used (you being the gamer population) you're not paying the publisher or the developer any amount of it.  It's all going to the company that's selling you the used game.  At that point you might as well pirate, because the end effect to the Publishers and Developers is the same, but at least you're saving money.
No it's not, they want you to think it is, but it's not. At least not in the U.S. here there's a long standing right, call the right of first sale. An author, publisher, creator whatever are entitled to the proceeds of the first and only sale. Don't confuse a publisher or creator not getting there's (piracy) with not getting all they want. They're just in a fairly unique position to be able to enforce there own views of second-hand sales through digital means.

QuoteSo that won't lower the game price, and it also won't get you as many of your favourite publishers pumping a good game.  Because unless it's a triple A block buster that sells a minimum of about 10 million?  It's not worth the money to make.  Hell, the new Lara Croft game sold 3 million copies, and Square-Enix claims it didn't do 'well enough'.  (There's also another issue affecting this, namely the cost of making games is going uip to the point of stupidity, but it's not the main factor here, sadly.)
The first part of this is a bit backward. If they don't produce good games no matter the price then on one's going to like them. Then they're naturally not going to sell as much, creating a vicious cycle. I agree with the rising cost of making games.

QuoteBUT, on the other hand, most trade-ins go towards new games.  So you need those trade-ins because that's how the publisher is making their money off new games. 

As for game prices going down?  HAH!  They could cost less than a million to make suddenly, and they'll still sell them to you at $60.  Why?  Because people are used to buying them at that price.  And they will keep doing so, because gamers are used to it.  We're comfortable, and as long as we're comfy with something, no matter how much we bitch and moan, nothing will change.
Sadly that's kind of true, unless enough people stop paying sixty bucks and they see a drop off it is unlikely to change.

Chris Brady

Actually, the first part, where the company/Devs not getting money is not what the big publishers are saying.  It's what the analysts and market watchers are saying. It doesn't hurt the publishers as much as they (the publishers) are claiming, but all the bankruptcies and studio shuttering is in part (not ALL of it, see rising costs of game making) is a side effect of the used game sales.  Used games HURT developers.  Mainly because they don't know that their game is popular as a secondary side effect.  Most Publishers don't care that a game sold twice as much as they are getting in terms of cash, because they aren't seeing that cash.

And I need to clarify, a 'good' game is not a AAA title, like Call of Duty which WILL sell at least 60 million copies world wide.  A good game is like the Darksiders series, which has promise, can be better, but just didn't make enough money to get traction as a AAA.

The Batman Arkham X is another series that's 'Good' but not Triple A category (despite it being a phenomenal game.)  It sold in excess (at least count) of 10 million copies total (that's both games) but that's not enough to make it 'AAA' class.