[NC-H] ExCiv Boarding School <Game Closed>

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, October 29, 2012, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

"No more enforcers spots are open." @.@

"We need more students before we get any more enforcers."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Trystia

Adeline Gerard

Player:  Trystia
Ethnicity:  Canadian
Height:  170 cm (5'7")
Weight:  64 kg (141 lbs)
Position:  Student
Sexual Orientation:  Inexperienced, interested in the whole spectrum, but afraid of actually pursuing anything.
How Long Have You Been at ExCiv?  Adeline was 'retrieved' in the middle of last school year, her parents no longer able to continue hiding her power when the state mandated testing to show she was making adequate progress as a home-schooled student.

Powers:

Psychometry - Whenever Adeline touches any object other than her own body, she receives random flashes of emotions or past events keyed to that object. These sensations continue to flow through her for as long as she remains in contact, but she has learned to slowly filter out the sensations from most of her own clothing (usually made from plants and synthetics), so long as they do not become 'tainted' by overly strong emotions.

Canadian - Adeline is fluent in French and reasonably conversant in Danish.

Weaknesses:

Psychometry - Adeline's power is also her weakness, as she has no control over which emotions or events she experiences, has little ability to filter out any but the weakest of sensations, such as those from plant matter, and cannot turn her ability 'off'. She attempts to limit this by never coming into contact with dead animal matter, and avoiding direct contact with other people, who seem to each possess a wellspring of emotions as endless and relentless as the ocean.

Bio:

Adeline is the eldest daughter of a free-spirited Canadian couple, with only a few very vague memories of a very early childhood in Nova Scotia before her parents decided to move clear across the continent and across the border, to a place in the States not far from the Pacific coast, where they started up a vineyard and winery. She had few friends growing up aside from her younger sister, Nadette, but never felt anything was truly missing from her life, indulging instead in her parents' library and exploring the massive property and nearby woods. Though she was driven into town every other afternoon for art and science classes, most of her education came in the form of home schooling from her parents, who made every excuse they could to spend more time with their daughters.

Shortly after her sixteenth birthday, however, everything changed. On a warm July night after falling asleep on the couch, having been reading her mother's old copy of From the Earth to the Moon, Adeline awoke from a terrible nightmare... and continued crying out as the nightmare continued. Phantom pain throbbed through her head and images flashed through her mind that left her completely disoriented, until she fell off of the couch, onto the soft wool carpeting of the floor. The leather covering the old couch retained the memories of the death of the animal it came from, however, leaving contact with the couch only brought into focus a myriad of other sensations, flashes, as she sensed not only emotions and past events associated with the carpet, but also with the clothes she had fallen asleep in. By the time her parents roused to come check on her, she had torn off her clothes and was huddled in a ball on the cold, tiled floor of the kitchen, weeping.

Her parents did everything they could for their daughter, withdrawing her from the few classes she was taking at the school in town, and desperately searching for products she wouldn't react too strongly to. Adeline, for her part, began spending even more time outside, the plants and loam of the earth remembering few things but the warmth of the Sun unless touched by strong human emotions. The transition was as traumatic as the nightmare that awakened her, as even her diet had to radically change, effectively now a vegetarian by force, but it was also painful to her to lose physical intimacy, no longer to even hug her parents without a thick layer to keep their skin from touching, lest she be rendered near catatonic by a maelstrom of emotions and memories.

It was really just a matter of time before she was discovered, despite all that her parents tried to cover things up. The schools noticed that Adeline had dropped completely off the radar, and soon there were demands for her to be tested for 'adequate academic progress'. She gave it her best try, but in the end, the counselor who was administering the test, fearing that Adeline was trying to cover up signs of abuse at home, accidentally touched her bare skin, and the very same day ExCiv staff were waiting for her at her parents' vineyard when she arrived home.

Rated as a mere 'A-level', barely a threat to anyone but herself so long as she has no control over her powers, taking Adeline from her family simply guaranteed an environment even less conducive to her new needs. It was bad enough that she was forced into seemingly constant contact with dozens of others her age and even older, but some of the staff seemed to delight in forcing her into contact with objects just to see how she would react. It has taken an immense strength of will to maintain her sanity and sense of self through the months she's already been at the school, having suffered a number of emotional breakdowns, but now that avoiding contact with troublesome objects is no longer the option she had at home, she feels that she's actually gaining a modicum of control in filtering out just enough of everything she comes into contact to function - as long as nobody tries to touch her.

Personality:

There is nothing Adeline wants more than to be cured and go home to live with her family again. In the meantime, however, she is finding herself conflicted between competing fears and desires. As much as she misses the companionship of her younger sister, and would like a close friend and confidante at the school, she's terrified of coming into contact with other people, and has become ever more introverted, making the process of trying to make friends even more difficult. Her naturally sunny disposition is under assault from the rain cloud of discovering not only how awful people at the school can be, but having confronted the hardships other people must deal with vicariously through objects she comes into contact with.

Without the freedom to leave the school and go hiking through the wilderness, Adeline has resigned herself to instead reading her way through ExCiv's library, hoping there will be a cure before she exhausts all the books, and secretly hoping she might find someone who shares her love of reading by carefully touching each book in search of strong positive emotions. However, now that the school has a better measure of her abilities, as well as where she is academically, perhaps she might find common ground with the other students in classes that actually interest her.

Description:

Adeline wears her sandy blonde hair to just past her shoulders, the dead cells providing yet another shield against unwanted interactions with objects. Her amber eyes are one of the few things she inherited from her father, most of her other features, right down to her fair skin tone, even after years outdoors, were gifts from her mother.

As a matter of of necessity, Adeline rarely exposes more than her head when expecting to interact with others, having brought over a dozen different pairs of gloves to the school, and also preferring long sleeves and pants. Her wardrobe tends mostly toward vivid reds and softer earth tones, but also includes plenty of black, especially a woollen jacket her mother made for her, which she wears not despite, but because of the strong emotions she feels when wearing it.

Sexual Preferences:

A few things here - first, I'm not my characters, which means that my characters' sexuality often actually differs from my own. Just because I'm interested in a kink doesn't mean my character is. Second, I pretty much insist on roleplaying any key scenes related to Adeline's sexuality, but I am willing to concede some 'fade-to-black' leeway for anyone she develops an established relationship with, should their player wish it.

OOC Notes:

I keep really odd hours, and don't have anything remotely approaching a regular work week. I don't foresee ever having difficulty posting at least once per day, but more than that could very much depend on my workload, as November/December could be very busy.

Chaeronea

So is there going to be an overall storyline, or is it just a case of seeing how much abuse the teachers and enforcers can throw at the students before they break? If one of the students was, in the classic vein of prison series, to try to organise a breakout or would it automatically be shut down by GM fiat?

ManyMindsManyVoices

XD Lmao, "listing Canadian as a power earns you automatic approval, I should think. Also, the character looks great."

"Also, Lucian (my first actual character, I will be making an enforcer, and I may make a teacher or another student, but Lucian will be my 'main') is up on the OOC thread. I will also put Adeline over there, as she's definitely in."

Quote from: Chaeronea on October 30, 2012, 07:29:15 AM
So is there going to be an overall storyline, or is it just a case of seeing how much abuse the teachers and enforcers can throw at the students before they break? If one of the students was, in the classic vein of prison series, to try to organise a breakout or would it automatically be shut down by GM fiat?

"This, again, isn't a game about abuse, it's a game of oppression (very different animals). The idea is to show glimmers of happiness and hope in a dismal environment. Prison breakouts are... well... not likely. This place is happy to ignore a person's civil rights to beat them down for trying."

"However, the undercurrent of that story will exist. Teachers and enforcers are likely to fight the system (but usually by working within it), and while I'd never insist on stopping a player from trying... I have a good idea of what sorts of contingencies are in place."

"If the school were to fall, it would not be to brute force, and I would be interested in pursuing that as a long way from now story, if this game really gets doing. Especially if it becomes a big-group game, I could definitely see running an arc that shows people on the outside trying to take down the ECPA."

"However, for the current plot, I will react as brutally realistically as possible. If a character steps too far out of line, I will show the consequences, and it might be death. This isn't to preserve the status quo (unless the players vehemently want me to do so), but ExCiv is a brutal place when you don't play along."

"I don't want to quash the idea, I like to let a game evolve, I just don't want anyone to think that's the point of the game or that the story is going in the direction. It may, but it isn't right now."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Hooray. She's approved, as you know, but I'll wait til you know what you're doing with your enforcer before I post her, in case you decide to edit anything in."

"Also, I changed the disclaimer at the beginning of this thread to make clear my current intentions. I will work with my players to make this enjoyable, however I can. I don't know where it will go, but for now, I just want to make a place where characters can interact and evolve. Plots will happen, stories will evolve, and one day, I hope we can make this a big story, maybe even with a climactic ending that takes us to the story of what's happening beyond the walls of the school. That day, however, is not today, and today we have fun with the setting before us."

Zhu Que

Evangeline Pierce
Player: Zhu Que
Gender: Female    Age: 19 years   Ethnicity: Scandinavian-American
Height: 5'3 (160cm)    Weight: 112 lbs (50kg)
Position: Student
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual with no preference.
How Long Have You Been at ExCiv? Just going on 5 years.

Powers: Evangeline is Omnilingual and has Sound Manipulation.

Evangeline tends to use words from other languages and not realize it, as to her it is natural to speak all languages. She can understand all languages as well, which has been a useful tool in getting into or out of places. This combined with her Sound Manipulation, she can sound like anyone, and has done so.

Using her Sound Manipulation, she can prevent sounds in an area, or make them so loud it hurts. She can manipulate sound waves through psionic means, which can be used for many situations. For example, she can create a sonic blast, or raise a sonic barrier to cancel out other sounds from an area. This power is only limited by physics and the strain that it puts on her mind.

Weaknesses: Evangeline suffers the mental disorder Disorganized Schizophrenia. She is often distracted or constantly changing topics with little to no prompt. She hallucinates and has arguments with herself or mumbles, all of these made worse by her Omnilingual and Sound Manipulation abilities. She has even gone so far as the try to cut her ears off to stop hearing whatever hallucination she was arguing with, even though when lucid, she would understand that wouldn't have helped or been good for her. Most times her violence is at herself, but there have been times that her hallucinations or delusions have tricked her into thinking someone else is the problem and she's attacked the other party. She also has a problem with inappropriate reactions due to her schizophrenia, which causes her to not realize if she's really hurting someone (emotionally or physically-like holding their hand and squeezing too much), and she tends to have blunted reactions to serious situations.

Bio: Evangeline Pierce started showing schizophrenic symptoms at a young age, by elven years of age, her mother sent her to a rehabilitation and acceptance center (nice way of saying a detention center for crazy kids), where they taught children to find alternative means to handle their episodes to avoid violence. Evangeline spent about two years in the center with no contact with the outside, and very little within. She didn't adjust well to alternative means, and ended up purposely messing with other patients.

Half way through the second year, she began to notice that sometimes her hallucinations took on voices that other people reacted to. She couldn't be sure about the actual sounds, as most kids there were 'bat shit crazy,' and they could just be reacting to something else. Around that time, she also noted that she could understand the doctors who spoke in French, German, and Mandarin-Chinese to avoid patients understanding them. Near the end of her second year in the center, she'd learned enough about these new found advantages to use them in a chance to escape. She didn't know the exact causes of these abilities, but knew she was going to use them at every chance and to their ultimate usefulness.

Being thirteen (almost fourteen) and on the run, she knew she had nowhere to go, her parents deserted her and never contacted her or the center. She used her new understanding of languages, and the ability she'd come to understand as controlling sound, to get by for a little while. Though, one time she'd went to a small theme park and ended up being picked on by a few older girls, this triggered an episode and she reacted by screaming at them. There had been a short moment of dead silence, not even the sound of life going on around them, and then a small burst, like a balloon exploding, and the other girls dropped to the ground, blood leaking from their ears as they screamed. This was her first evidence that her sound ability could be dangerous... and she wasn't too opposed, really.

It was after that event that she was hunted down by a retrieval unit and captured. After the first year or so of being at the 'school,' Evangeline has had less episodes, due to being on medications, but has caused a few violent situations. Her room is sound proofed, as she tends to talk to her hallucinations and they talk back, sometimes in other languages. This precaution also is set up such in a way to prevent her from just creating a psionic blast to escape the room. While on medications, she stays more lucid and while she still has disorganized thoughts and conversations (with or without another individual there) she is less likely to have an episode where she attacks someone.

Personality: While on medication, Evangeline is generally more lucid and friendly. She seems more 'normal' with less symptoms showing, as well as a lower chance of violent outbursts. Without medications, she has bouts of excitable, silly moods or depressed, uninterested moods, sometimes a variation. She is more prone to reacting without thinking, and most times her reactions aren't quite appropriate. Whether with or without medications, Evangeline has a habit of using multiple languages and changing topic at random, usually to things not really related to the previous topic. She also has spells of self-imposed starvation, usually worse off medications than while on them. Sometime, when in a particularly good lucid moment, she'll want to just keep eating.
Description: Evangeline is thin and short, growth stunted by years of poor eating and sleep habits. Her long red hair is usually messy and not really well taken care of. Her skin is naturally pale and smooth, but sometimes it is almost a sickly pale with veins showing through on her hands and feet. Her pale green-grey eyes tend to be a give away that she is starting to have an episode, as her pupil changes sizes and the iris shade darkens or lightens, or even erratic movements as she talks.

Sexual Preferences: Evangeline is not picky about much, but she does like to look for people with certain traits or ideals when looking for a partner. She is more likely to see the possibilities of a sexual relationship when she is lucid, and when not on medications, she is a bit paranoid of people, but does want a close friend or two, to stave off inflicting damage upon herself. (I do enjoy writing out scenes, but if it isn't really important, then 'fade-to-black' works.)

OOC Notes: I would like to say that if anyone has, or knows someone with, schizophrenia, I mean no offense in how I play Evangeline. If anything, I'd love input, but I do mean to exaggerate her a little sometimes (though hopefully I'll be doing a good job without too much over the top).

Trystia

The way I see it, something like a breakout would require some particularly strong trigger(s), such as the death of one or more students, severe brutality, or the simple realization that nobody is ever getting out, and would simply complicate things, as the setting would change from a relatively safe if oppressive building to one of being actively hunted by malevolent organizations that might even be authorized to kill. Unless the students are truly in lethal peril if they stay at the school, it's in their best interests to not try to break out, but rather to work within the system.

Dashenka

I'm REALLY impressed about the details of all these characters and although I do consider myself an advanced role player I do struggle to come up with as much details for my character :) I am still interested in playing a student (if you all still want me) but I need to really start bending my brain around some of the details of my character.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Zhu Que

"Dashenka. If you come up with a basic idea, I'm sure everyone would be willing to help you with ideas. I always seek Ryuka and Pyrk to look over my ideas and give me advice if something needs adjustment, or for how far I can take something.

I suggest finding something you are reasonably comfortable attempting and building off that.... also, I totally saw 'bending my brain' as an actual action for a moment, lol.

Also, the more players, the better, so yes, we want you." ^_^

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Dashenka on October 30, 2012, 01:48:54 PM
I'm REALLY impressed about the details of all these characters and although I do consider myself an advanced role player I do struggle to come up with as much details for my character :) I am still interested in playing a student (if you all still want me) but I need to really start bending my brain around some of the details of my character.

Quote from: Zhu Que on October 30, 2012, 02:11:15 PM
"Dashenka. If you come up with a basic idea, I'm sure everyone would be willing to help you with ideas. I always seek Ryuka and Pyrk to look over my ideas and give me advice if something needs adjustment, or for how far I can take something.

I suggest finding something you are reasonably comfortable attempting and building off that.... also, I totally saw 'bending my brain' as an actual action for a moment, lol.

Also, the more players, the better, so yes, we want you." ^_^

"What Zhu said, my girl is wise with her words... Most of the time." XD

"Anyway, I will pretty much always help with powers, as I like to have them worded perfectly to make sure it's very clear what one can and cannot do. If you're going with the pyro idea, though, that's pretty straight forward, I'd say."

"I'm happy to talk through PM, AIM, or Skype if you want to work out some ideas."

Zhu Que

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on October 30, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
"What Zhu said, my girl is wise with her words... Most of the time." XD

"Is that 'most of the time' because of my brain bending comment?... HEH, brain bending..."

ManyMindsManyVoices

Dashenka

Hehe. Well I want her to be tough and a bit cocky and arogant but also very vulnerable and all. Was thinking she could shape shift into a wolf and maybe another animal and have those senses the animals she can shift into to be hers in human form but I don't want your average werewolf character.

Also I think I want her to be in her early to mid twenties if that's not too old. So she's probably in the facility since it started and being one of the first in there?

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Huh... That'd have her there for 16 years, and she'd have manifested very early... Neither of those things are completely unacceptable, just strange. I could see that maybe being an interesting setup. This would be a girl that was 6-10 years old when she came to this place, living among mostly teenagers in an abusive environment."

"I'm thinking if you want to be an animal shapeshifter, either stick with wolf, or go with something like 'mammals that are not drastically different in size'. Unless you feel there's a specific reason she'd have more than one animal form, still only a few specific ones. I like a reasoning behind everything, so don't think I'm trying to limit you or stop you from doing something. I just want to know 'why'."

Dashenka

Hmm 16 years might be a bit long. Never mind that. I was thinking her to be mid/early twenties, so let's say she got there at age 13 or 14, ten years ago?

Just a wolf morph works for me. Only reason why I wanted more is cause I haven't really thought about a story behind it.

Why a wolf then?

Cause last week my grandad died. He lived in Northern Russia and when we got there for the funeral, every night, three wolves howled in the distance and just the thought of that sound is making me shiver. It's such a powerful sound which really makes you feel humble.

Other option I thought of as I'm writing this... she is mid twenties still but has managed to stay free until now. She is caught roaming around in the forests having spend a rather long time in animal form. When she is captured and brought to the facility she is almost completely feral and has to be thoroughly trained.

Would something like that work?

Vaulera

Is there still room available for a character, or am I too late/ out of luck?

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Huh, that could also be interesting. I would like an entirely new student that I could play out the 'capture and process' scenario out on... A feral student... I'd say that could work if she had been a normal kid like most Extrahumans for some time, and went feral to protect herself after her powers manifested. Feral children are very complicated, but if your developmental years were spent among humans, there's something to work with. If I were to do a true 'Feral Child' story, I wouldn't want to make something rushed or on the side of a bigger plot."

"This way she could speak, but it would be harder because she hasn't in so long. She might have a problem being 'the human' while 'the wolf' creeps into her mind. She wants to hunt because she spent so long in that form, she wants to be the alpha, stuff like that. If you could research wolf behavior a little, that'd be cool."

Quote from: Vaulera on October 30, 2012, 03:35:21 PM
Is there still room available for a character, or am I too late/ out of luck?

"It's a big school, there's plenty of room."

Dashenka

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on October 30, 2012, 03:40:33 PM
"Huh, that could also be interesting. I would like an entirely new student that I could play out the 'capture and process' scenario out on... A feral student... I'd say that could work if she had been a normal kid like most Extrahumans for some time, and went feral to protect herself after her powers manifested. Feral children are very complicated, but if your developmental years were spent among humans, there's something to work with. If I were to do a true 'Feral Child' story, I wouldn't want to make something rushed or on the side of a bigger plot."

"This way she could speak, but it would be harder because she hasn't in so long. She might have a problem being 'the human' while 'the wolf' creeps into her mind. She wants to hunt because she spent so long in that form, she wants to be the alpha, stuff like that. If you could research wolf behavior a little, that'd be cool."

"It's a big school, there's plenty of room."

Yes. That's what I was thinking of. Normal kid, went to school. When the facility was opened she was living a small town and remained off the scale. When the 'hunt' intensified she ran off and about a year orso later she gets caught (having spend most of the time in her other form).

I missed if the students are all from 1 country or from all over the world?

Zhu Que

Quote from: Dashenka on October 30, 2012, 03:47:46 PM
Yes. That's what I was thinking of. Normal kid, went to school. When the facility was opened she was living a small town and remained off the scale. When the 'hunt' intensified she ran off and about a year orso later she gets caught (having spend most of the time in her other form).

I missed if the students are all from 1 country or from all over the world?

"Normal kid to feral wolf sounds awesome. See, great idea. ^_^

Also, the school is in America, but check the 'Character Info' post at the beginning, third post I think... in the middle explains about ethnicity."

Dashenka

Vaulera

Vanora Keith
Player: Vaulera
Ethnicity: Scottish-American
Height: 5,9
Weight: 150
Position: Teacher
Callsign: Needle
Sexual Orientation: Hetero
How Long Have You Been at ExCiv? 2 Years as a student 1 as a member of staff

Powers: Argentmorph

Vanora's official name for her power is more of a way of calling it than a representation of it's power. She has the ability to turn any part of her body into metal, whether it's turning a lock of hair into a spray of needles or making her fingernails into knives. The metal itself is hard to identify, as it doesn't follow the same rules of brittleness, flexibility, malleability, lustre or hardness. If her skin is changed, then it conforms to her shape, as if it were her own skin. It is hard and moves as if it were a part of her body, retaining shapes, has a silvery sheen. There are several quirks to her appearance to aid or accomodate her powers. Her nails are left long and cut into triangular shapes, for a more effective edge and her favourite, extremely long cut hair for the purposes of morphing them into needles. Once shorn off, they won't revert to their previous form, as it is controlled via Vanora's mind and body awareness.

Weaknesses: The weaknesses of her ability are immediately apparent when she tries to turn things into metal that aren't superficial. The metal still weighs as much as metal may, so wearing an entire sheet of metal on her skin is as straining as it sounds. If done wrong, the contact of silver on soft tissue nerves is extremely acute and painful, an incentive to not cover herself entirely. It is never to be used internally unless there are extremely straining circumstances. Turning her organs into metal is either extremely painful as it shuts down and increases in weight and hardness, lethal when used on her brain, heart, lungs or other major organs. Though in theory it could be used to halt the progress of venom or the loss of blood, it is a very dangerous ability to use.

Bio:

Personality: True to her heritage, as unlikely as her appearance may be, Vanora is a fiery and free willed individual. Her spirit remained relatively unbroken as an A student, despite her powers, but it taught her extreme levels of restraint and self control. Vanora is a sympathiser, as far as teachers go, not only because of her Extrahuman capabilities, but because it hurts her to see the oppression and to be a part of it. Despite her empathy towards students, Vanora doesn't hesitate when punishing a problem student.

Description: Vanora has brown hair, despite her Gallic heritage, but retains the pale, sparsely freckled skin. Her voice is lilting and has an ever so slight Scottish brogue, only noticeable when listened to intently. She isn't very large, but her muscles are wiry and her limbs are slightly too lanky for her torso in terms of proportion.

Sexual Preferences: (Type information here about how you prefer to go about scenes. Do you prefer to 'fade-to-black' or only play out scenes that are 'important' <first time, major turning point, etc.>? Or do you prefer to avoid adult content in general? Each character may be different so fill this out for every character.)

OOC Notes: (Any other notes you might wish to let people know about your playing style, if there's nothing, just delete this section)

(I'm still working on this, also, not sure about the picture, please let me know about any concerns.)