A Song of Witchcraft and Wizardry: A Clash of Founders

Started by Primarch, April 24, 2013, 07:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

There's two things I'm big into right now. Game of Thrones and Harry Potter. So I was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be fun to merge the two? Well....this is the result!

It is the year 1000 A.D. and the ten year anniversary of the opening of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardy. Every Wizarding family in the Western world wishes for their children to attend the finest source of education in the known world. To rub elbows with the right people and learn from the great 'Founders' themselves. It is expected to be a most interesting year. But not all is well.....

Scotland mourns at the loss of King Duncan I of House Black. Very soon his son Prince Regulus Black I shall be crowned, but he is just a boy of five. He shall be needing a Regent to advise and guide him. Whomever is chosen to occupy this prestigious office shall surely have great power to guide the Wizarding world and even mold the mind of this young King. There are clearly only four people worth considering. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. But which one?

As it would happen the great founders have made it very easy to determine whom is the finest leader among them, for they all lead a part of the student body. Just as the Wizard World has its Houses, so to does Hogwarts. Thus in a meeting between the founders and the Scottish Court Council a contest was devised to find which of the four is truly the most appropriate to lead the Realm until the King comes of age. The House Cup! Each Founder shall compete by guiding their students and proving the wisdom and cunning they possess. To ensure fair play and give the final say on rewards and penalties (and perhaps occasionally cause a problem to give students a chance to prove what they're made of!) the Royal Court has sent some representatives to take part in the school year. 

Of course fair play in intended but who's going to play fair when the fate of the Wizard World hangs in the balance. The Regent to the King could aid in ushering in a new age of ideals and progress for Wizards and Witches everywhere...or see to it that the Wizard world remembers whom built and whom should rule it. Some forget the importance of blood purity. It will certainly be an interesting year at Hogwarts. Being an ally of the Wizard or Witch that has the ear of the King could be rewarding, or ruinous if the person you backed didn't come out on top. Whom can you trust? And remember.....Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon.

Okay so yes, that's the set up! I'm hoping for a game that takes the politics, the secret plots & deals, the seduction and maybe even the betrayals of the Game of Thrones and put it to the backdrop of Founders Era Scotland. Players would play the roles of Hogwarts staff (Founders & others), the current student body and members of the Royal Wizarding Scottish Court. Before I put up character apps, are people interested in such a game? Is there any questions or suggestions you have? I'd be most eager to hear it all! Thank you~

The Founders:
Godric Gryffindor: OPEN
Helga Hufflepuff: OPEN
Rowena Ravenclaw: OPEN
Salazar Slytherin: OPEN

Name:
Position: Student/Teacher(and of what)/Court Representative

Appearance

Signature Spell: A spell your character is particularly proficient with, can include animagus form or other very rare traits (For students, this should be more basic)
Wand: Length/core/wood
Personality:

History:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Blood Status:[/b]
[b]Position:[/b]

[b]Appearance[/b]
[center][img]URLHERE[/img][/center]

[b]Signature Spell:[/b]
[b]Wand:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

Red Offerings

I have never seen Game of Thrones, but I have read all of the HP books! I am a slut for intrigue though, you could count me in!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Primarch

Quote from: Red Offerings on April 24, 2013, 07:22:42 PM
I have never seen Game of Thrones, but I have read all of the HP books! I am a slut for intrigue though, you could count me in!

Fantastic! Having read ASOIAF or seen GoT is most certainly not required, I more so hope to take the power games & grey morality and apply it to a HP setting.

Red Offerings

It really does sound interesting. I love the HP universe, but most role plays take place with themes that just don't make me comfortable because it's usually been run by kids.

I like the twist you've made here because it leaves a lot of room for more mature/adult (and I don't mean just sexually) themes.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Primarch

Yeah, while some students might be in the 'teenage' years, others could most certainly be older. The son or daughter of someone of a wealthy or prestigious background that wants their child properly educated. I rather imagine quite a few Princes & Princesses from around Europe to be a part of the student body. Not to mention there's also everyone else. So the option for older, more mature characters is certainly most viable. Of course it wouldn't be fully true to the ASOIAF setting if there wasn't some sexual themes. After all, most people are killing each other, having sex, conspiring to kill each other or conspiring to have sex. Perhaps Godric Gryffindor would be willing to indulge a more senior woman of the court so she'll be more generous in her view of his House? Or maybe Rowena Ravenclaw would be willing to use what's between her legs to get key members of the staff on her side. 

Red Offerings

Oh, I'm a fan of smut, I'm just a bigger fan of smut with a plot.

Okay so that is a question I have - does that mean the school will be allowing muggles to attend purely because of what's going on in Scotland?

Primarch

I just double checked to be sure, but it wasn't made 'law' for Wizard & Muggle society to be kept strictly separate until 1689. So some muggles might be in the school performing duties that don't strictly require magic of any kind. They might make for crummy students and teachers though.

Red Offerings

Red Offerings

Of course alternatively, this scenario could be WHY muggles were outlawed from the school later.

Primarch

Quote from: Red Offerings on April 24, 2013, 08:14:56 PM
Of course alternatively, this scenario could be WHY muggles were outlawed from the school later.

If Slytherin was victorious certainly. But as Hogwarts as a school was founded to cultivate the magical arts I'm not sure why muggles would be there.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Primarch on April 24, 2013, 08:18:58 PM
If Slytherin was victorious certainly. But as Hogwarts as a school was founded to cultivate the magical arts I'm not sure why muggles would be there.
Touché.

Niferbelle

This sounds interesting to me. I'll be keeping an eye on it :)

Primarch

Primarch

Red Offerings

Hola. So, I'm thinking of what I'd play. I'm dancing between an older student - or teacher. I wish Hogwarts had a college really because I prefer to play people in their 20s. Everyone has to be at least 16 right? I mean for E rules.

Primarch

Quote from: Red Offerings on April 25, 2013, 08:05:42 PM
Hola. So, I'm thinking of what I'd play. I'm dancing between an older student - or teacher. I wish Hogwarts had a college really because I prefer to play people in their 20s. Everyone has to be at least 16 right? I mean for E rules.
16 yes, but someone in their 20's as a student would be perfectly acceptable. As I think I mentioned above, a traditional school system as we understand it doesn't exist yet and education is obtained where it can be gotten so the approach I've taken is that the current student body is made up of the sons & daughters of the wealthy and powerful whom want their heirs to be educated properly. So the idea that the King of France might send his twenty-something daughter to learn under Lady Ravenclaw and rub elbows with the sons and daughters of many other nobles and royals is perfectly fine.

Red Offerings

Alright, I see your point. So it could even be seen as a finishing school of sorts.

Primarch

I would personally find it plausible that it could perform that to a degree yes.

Red Offerings

Well, what's left for me to decide is where I'd want my lady from. I'm bothering you in here by the way to assist in bumping your thread.

Primarch

Cheers. :P
I'll edit the OP sometime tomorrow to include a character sheet. Hopefully we can get a little more interest too!

Red Offerings

Let me poke some of the people in my group RP and see if they'd bite.

Red Offerings

Muwahaha, I've got one of them coming to look this evening at the thread here. Also I know exactly what I am going to make for a character. She's going to be quite the evil little bitch too!  >:) She will be Baba Yaga in her early life days.

phoenyx

hmmm ok Red's poking has sparked one interest (not hard where HP is involved)... now my question is.. IF we choose a "Royal" they'd have to be historically accurate? although... to keep from being restrained I could always make up some minor noble house of some obscure someplace-or-another.... OH, I noticed the Princeling is a Black... not an ancestor of Cyrius would it be?
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

Primarch

Quote from: phoenyx on April 26, 2013, 08:04:19 PM
hmmm ok Red's poking has sparked one interest (not hard where HP is involved)... now my question is.. IF we choose a "Royal" they'd have to be historically accurate? althogh... to keep from beiong restrained I could always make up some minor noble house of some obscure someplace-or-another.... OH, I noticed the Princeling is a Black... not an ancestor of Cyrius would it be?

I wouldn't think a 'Royal' would have to be historically accurate, well perhaps to a degree in terms of what the country was like at that point but I've been doing this up under the idea that 'muggle' and 'wizard' society are separate. The Wizard King of Scotland is not the King of the Muggles.

But yes, the current Royal Wizard family of Scotland are ancestors to Sirius Black....they were an ancient & powerful House so it seemed appropriate. 

phoenyx

ooo i SO like your thinking all the way around...

ok here's another question. HP deals with mainly Europe and the rest of the various nations and countries on that side of the Pond... possibilities of bringing an American over? Muggle wise I could see not... but Wizardling?? *big puppy eyes* :P
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O