IP Address issues

Started by Wistful Dream, November 10, 2009, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Okay, so....I got my new Macbook Pro only I can't connect to the internet. I called Apple and they were really nice, trying to help me figure out what was wrong. At first it was just that our security type is different. Morven helped me fix that (thank you again so so so much!). Now the issue is that the IP won't work, its because our network isn't set to DHCP I guess. Morven talked me through how to find my IP on this computer and the DNS and other info, I plugged it in, making a variant of my IP in range, and it accepted it, connected to the network but not the internet.

I tried resetting the router, and that didn't work....so I'm lost, any suggestions?

Vekseid

Can you access the router's configuration to make sure it is hooked up to the Internet?

Wistful Dream

It is. DHCP is enabled now. I got a hold of Apple again after ten minutes on hold and they said my model of the laptop will only connect with WEP 128 bit...so I guess that's the issue. Now its just a waiting game for my uncle's tech guy to approve it before he changes it.

Morven

What's weird about that is that it did connect with what I told you about finding (that if you put in the hexadecimal key with '0x' in front of it, it works).  Couldn't see the Internet, though, but you shouldn't even be able to connect to the network if the WEP key didn't work.

Strange ...
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Wistful Dream

Computers hate me. I spent $3,000 for a top of the line computer and....sit here unable to use it while my HP lags and overheats. Joys.

Vekseid

Wait, a new Mac isn't able to use WPA2?

Wistful Dream

No, not able to use the regular WEP. My uncle updated to the WEP 128 bit.....but it still won't read the god damn internet! I'm on the phone to apple right now, I'm so beyond frustrated at the moment.

Wistful Dream

Okay so....we now have the security of a WPA Personal, and it connects when hardwired in. We went into the Apple store and the computer connected automatically....however now it won't even read the network wirelessly at all.

Computers hate me  :'(