Do I really need to keep paying for good virus protection?

Started by Galactic Druid, July 19, 2012, 01:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Well, my norton subscription is up again. I'm getting tired of giving these guys almost $50 a year. Is there a better option out there?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Lilias

Vekseid recommends Avira Antivir. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and have never had issues. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Psi

Microsofts av isn't that bad either these days.

Regardless, if you switch av, uninstall the old one first.

Nessy

I've used Avast, Avira, I think Comodo puts out one now too. Microsoft Security Essentials works pretty well too and is not intrusive for those of us who game and get tired of windows popping up at in opportune times. Pair the AV up with malwarebytes and spybot... you're pretty well protected along with a dose of caution of course.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

GothicFires

I use defender pro. It's $19.99 for 3 licenses. I actually don't have virus protection on my netbook. Never have. On that one I used online scans. Had it for 4 years now. Never got a virus. So it depends on how risky the sites are that you visit.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Neroon

The advice given in Veks' thread here is invaluable.  As GothicFires and Nessy said, caution can go a hell of a long way.  Paired with good free software, you should be fine.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Vekseid

It's important to realize what an antivirus does.

It gives you about a 50% chance or so that it will prevent an infection you were otherwise likely to get.

That's it, really. It's not a ticket to misbehave.

Reno

Quote from: Vekseid on August 15, 2012, 09:33:14 AM
That's it, really. It's not a ticket to misbehave.

That's what Virtualbox is for. ^_^

Seriously, though, I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials now. Avira was pretty but I got tired of the nagging, especially while I was gaming. If you're not a gamer, it's another option, though MSSE does seem to have a lighter footprint. 

I also personally recommend avoiding AVG, as I've had it crap itself (not even because of any viruses!) and take the whole system down. Twice. On two different machines.

SaturnCeleste

I used to use Microsoft Security Essentials until I switched to ESET.  I also run the search and destroy tea time as well.  And don't forget the scans from Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Spybot and others.
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

DutchSpawn

I use AVG Free, works fine, free updates, gets all viruses. so yea. you don't have to pay for a good one.

RedEve

I've been using Avast for the past two years, on the recommendation of a co-worker. Before that, I had NOD32 for the longest time.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list