Question for people with knowledge of network cards or Wi-Fi >.>

Started by Spell, April 19, 2010, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spell

Okay, so currently I'm on an Acer 8930G Laptop, and it works just fine, but I think I'm having some sort of problem with my network card.

You see, I can connect and access the internet when using my own Wi-Fi Network. But for some reason, it simply refuses to connect to unprotected networks (As in, Public Networks). I've tries with at least ten different networks and it only connects to my own. This was not the issue in the past however.

I'm currently on Windows 7 Ultimate, and using a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN network card.
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

HockeyGod

I would imagine that the software you're using to connect to the WiFi is disabled, but became disabled after you saved your local WiFi. This happens to me. There is a Windows WiFi connector and a Dell WiFi connector. The Dell is primary so Windows is disabled.

Not sure if that helps or only gives you more frustration.

Spell

I don't think that's the problem, as I'm not using any software to connect to networks, just the Wireless Network settings of the laptop itself. =/
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Nessy

Quote from: Spell on April 20, 2010, 06:55:20 AM
I don't think that's the problem, as I'm not using any software to connect to networks, just the Wireless Network settings of the laptop itself. =/

You HAVE to use some sort of software to connect to a network. What I think the original person was telling you is that a lot of the laptop's ship with some proprietary connection software (Dell, HP, etc), but Windows has it's own (modern versions). You might want to consider disabelling the third party software and trying Windows' software instead. Laptops cannot simply connect by themselves, in the sense you are thinking.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.