Re: A Country's Downfall (Court Members needed!)

Started by Caela, March 23, 2011, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caela

So I have a thread over in the solo's list and thought to put one here as well. I am pretty easy going and always looking for more stories to write. Most of what comes into my own head are one on one's but now and then an idea that would work as a group thread appears as well. :)

The Fall of Saurantin
A Warlord invades her country, kills her father before his Court, and unwittingly before her, to lay claim to the throne. When she screams her anguish at her father's death, he discovers that the King he killed wasn't childless after all. Her existence was little known because she spent most of her life serving in the Temple of their chief Goddess Iowyn (a Mother Goddess figure) and was just now being returned to Court to assume her role as a Princess of the Country.

Now the Warlord has a problem, does he dare kill a a girl who is not just a Princess, but a Priestess as well? Does he force her into marriage to solidify his claim on the throne? Does he keep her as a political prisoner to sell off as a slave to cement an alliance elsewhere? Will she become a rallying point for her people to rebel? What will his advisers tell him to do?

* This can easily be a fantasy story with magic and Diety's that are very real in the people's everyday lives. If it goes that route I'd like to keep the magics minor but useful; healing, creating small fires, calling rain for crops, love potions (perhaps the Warlord uses one on the Princess to get her to marry him without a fuss) that sort of thing, throwing lightening bolts or killing people on site would be something reserved for the Deity's. It can also just be an alternate Earth setting with a historical feel and no magic. I'm pretty easy in this regard and open to other people's ideas.

Will need a Warlord for sure and then any other characters that we can come up with as needed. Advisers/warriors who are loyal to him, a Court that is loyal to her, priests and priestesses for both sides etc.

Caela

Name: Princess Isheth
Orientation Straight
Appearance (Pictures are not required, descriptions are welcome also)

PersonalityCool and collected, she had been trained to hide her thoughts behind a facade of indifference but it is just that, a facade. Inside she her emotions run deep and there is a passionate woman under the icy exterior. She's intelligent and pragmatic, having been trained as a Priestess and a Princess. Loving, loyal, honest, deeply honorable when her word is given it is a stronger form of bondage than any chain.

Background She may hold the title Princess, but she was raised as a Priestess. As is the custom she was sent to the Temple of Iowyn at only 5 years of age to be schooled in all manner of things from languages, to mathematics, to politics, to dancing. Everything a Princess would need to know to rule a land as vast and rich as Saurantin but she was also school in the ways of the their Goddess and learned humility and how the common folk of her country live their days as well. An education that is meant to make her a better ruler, closer to her people, an not someone who merely sits on high and looks down on her Kingdom asking how they can serve her will but how she can, in turn, better their lives as well.

She was 19 when the Warlord first attacked her country, eager to claim the ripe lands for himself. Their own warriors held him off for over a year but, just after she had returned to Court, and on the day she was to be presented to them once more, he broke through their lines and stormed the very palace itself.

*I'd like to start the story with the Warlord breaking into the Throne Room just as the King was rising to call his daughter to him from the crowd. The Warlord will have no idea that she is among the crowd until he actually kills her father and she screams in disbelief and grief.

Joslyn

I found this idea interesting, as there’s a lot of potential for drama and intrigue. I might submit a character idea for one of the warlord’s soldiers, but I have a few questions:

Would this be a game with a GM, or more of a collaborative thing where no one is really in charge?

Would the focus be more on some sort of long term plot, or would the game be primarily about sex?

If the game does turn out to be a fantasy setting, would there be elves? (admittedly not really that important either way, but I am fond of elves)

Caela

Joslyn, I was thinking more of a freeform collaboration amongst the players since I sort of suck at GM'ing lol. I may use NPC's to add plot developments, or throw out surprises, set up scenes etc. but the basic game is meant to be a collaboration and Npc's will be available to anyone to use.

I'd like the focus to be plot driven and for characters to develop relationships, drama, intrigue, romances as the story unfolds. Sex will be a part of it, but it's not necessarily the point of the story.

If we end up with a fantasy setting I wouldn't mind at all if there were elves, but would think they would be in the minority. If you wanted to play one they could be hired help for the Warlord, or perhaps an ambassador of sorts at Court, feeling out how things will fall under the new regime. Certainly lots of ways it could be played.

Joslyn

Okay, I have a character I'd like to play if this gets off the ground. I apologize for the length, but I do like coming up with characters. Some of this may need to change depending on what the warlord character is like, but anyway I'd like to hear what you think.

---

Name: Selistria Arasmor
Orientation: Bisexual

Appearance: Fairly athletic, but still lithe and feminine, Selistria moves with preternatural grace. She is a brunette with long hair, pointed ears, and bewitching purple eyes. She dresses either in the uniform of the warlord’s army, or in elven camouflage. She almost always has a dagger, a sword, and a bow with quiver of arrows on her person. On very rare occasions, such as when she is ordered to attend a formal event, she will dress in the revealing and sensual fashions typical to elven maidens—even then, she will still have the dagger.

Personality: Selistria is cold and analytical, preferring to carefully weigh her options. But when she does act, she is decisive. She is fiercely loyal to the warlord, though not blind to his aggression. Despite her traumatic background, there is very little hatred in her—though there is not much empathy either.

Deep within her there is abhorrence toward killing, but her need to be dutiful to her master is stronger still. In wartime she prides herself on using just enough violence to get the job done—to her battle is a utilitarian exercise in which neither cruelty nor mercy can play a roll.

She has however consistently counseled that subjugated peoples should be treated leniently—a few tax breaks and a diligent reconstruction effort can often forestall revolt. This saves a great deal of treasure and manpower in the long run—resources that might be put toward further conquests, if the warlord so desires.

Background: Selistria was born in a small elven village near the edge of human lands. Her early childhood was a happy and carefree affair, filled with art, archery, communing with nature, and other typical elven past-times. But at the age of twelve she was kidnapped by human bandits and sold as a sex slave.

Selistria’s first master was extremely cruel, though for her part the elf was very resilient and determined not to give in to despair. However, after two decades of abuse she finally broke completely and attempted to kill herself. Her stress was so great that she became sickly and weak. She was considered nearly useless at this point, and sold to the warlord for little more than a peasant would make in a week.

However, the warlord was perceptive enough to see something in her—the dying embers of a fierce spirit that could still be reignited. He treated her kindly and let her rest until she recovered her physical vigor. When he then offered her the chance to fight for his army, she was extremely grateful to him and gladly obeyed. She resumed her practice with the bow and trained hard under his officers. In battle she immediately distinguished herself, and despite being an elf she rose through the ranks.

During brief periods of peace, Selistria studied hard under human and elven mercenaries to pick up new tricks. She read voraciously about war, everything from philosophies to history to inventive weapons and tactics. Through both experience and education she became an expert with small unit, asymmetric tactics—hit-and-run strikes, wilderness survival, supply interdiction, assassinations, poisoning enemy foodstores, and so forth.

Before the invasion of Saurantin began, Selistria was given command of a small but elite force. She trained them hard in her ways of stealth. The warlord granted her the title of Ranger-General, a rank that had until then only existed in the elven military—this signified her success in combining the ancient elven ways with human aggression and brutality.

Selistria and her soldiers, called simply “the Ghosts,” spent most of the war behind enemy lines. They conducted daring nighttime raids, and used every dirty trick at their disposal. It could hardly be disputed that their activities greatly shortened the length of the war. Though the elf had long gone without a surname, the Ghosts took to calling her “Arasmor,” an elven word that roughly translates to “the doe concealed in the night.”

Other: Selistria is highly skilled with the bow, and competent with melee weapons. She is much stronger than she looks, able to pull back a bow just as well as a strong human male. She has extensive knowledge of plants and wildlife, and some very basic knowledge of alchemy—just enough to produce a few healing salves and poisons. As an elf, she can see better and further in dim lighting conditions than a human.

She is secretly fearful of being sexually involved with a man due to the abuse she suffered. Her only physical intimacy since she left possession of her first master has been in the form of a couple brief, casual flings with female soldiers under her command. While she would willingly give in to an advance from the warlord, he has never asked anything of this nature from her. She assumes he is either not interested in her, or fears drudging up old emotions might undermine her loyalty.

Caela

I think she looks great! I love that you made a female warrior with a conflict between the need to kill and her loyalty to her Lords commands.

Urbanzorro

I'm interested in playing the Warlord if it isn't taken?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Caela

It's not Urban, you are more than welcome to lay claim to it! :D Look forward to seeing what you come up with for him.

Urbanzorro

Yay, and you flatter ;)

Are we going to go with magic/fantasy or nay? Also are you intending to keep it with a medieval Europe feel or would other themes be welcome too?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Caela

Other themes are more than welcome. We can set it up any way we like. I'm thinking to keep a minor fantasy setting. No major magics but small things like starting a campfire, love potions, finding water, are o.k. Nothing that would make someone all powerful or impervious to a skilled knight with a sword or bow.

Caela

Urbanzorro

Very much so!

Sorry about the delay, weekends/Mondays aren't really conductive to my posting schedule. Putting the finishing touches on my character now ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Caela

Woot! Glad to hear it! No worries about it taking a bit, we all have days that just aren't good for us. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've come up with. :D

Urbanzorro

Name: Hasdrubal the Just
Orientation Straight
Appearance

Personality: While he is known by many names such as 'Hasdrubal the Conqueror,' 'Hasdrubal the Destroyer,' and even Hasdrubal the Monster, he prefers the title his own people use for him 'the Just.' In part because he is normally a calm and controlled man. Who was raised to take over his father's throne and as such was taught the delicate game of palace politics, when to show emotion, and when not to. And in part because once under his rule he is normally quite fair with the average citizen as his father taught him to be. Despite this Hasdrubal holds a great desire for vengeance against those who brought about the events of his past and the fate of his family.
Background:

Hailing from lands far to the east, well withing the great deserts. Hasdrubal was once the crown prince of the kingdom of Phuraii, a small but rich city state composed of a single city and it's surrounding villages and lands. His father, Abdek the Kind had groomed Hasdrubal from childhood to take the throne upon his passing and all seemed to be going according to plan. But in the 17th year of Hasdrubal's life Phuraii's neighbor, the Ustian Empire,  declared war on Phuraii.

Even though their lands were almost twice as large as Phuraii the Ustians suffered many setbacks to their invasion plans and after three years of warfare it seemed as if they would be forced to retreat....that is until the forces of their allies arrived. The Ustian Empire had used its close trade ties with several western kingdoms to acquire military aid. Amongst the kingdoms to send modest amounts of soldiers and supplies were Saurantin, Yuktobonia, and  The Principality of Belka. At the time Saurantin's king had been nothing but a young man, recently taking the throne and acting on the advice of his advisers. The western kingdoms were little concerned with the fate of a single city so far to the east and it was generally considered wise to keep one of their major eastern trading partners happy. Though minor and few in number the forces sent from the west proved to be the deciding factor in a war that was, at the time of their arrival, in a fragile stalemate.

Within another year Phuraii's walls had been breached and the city had fallen. Abdek had ordered that  Hasdrubal, now 21 years of age, be secreted away from the city in the days just before it fell and as such Hasdrubal escaped the fate which claimed the rest of his family. Execution by wild sand-jakals. Before going into full hiding, Hasdrubal vowed that he would one day attain revenge against all those responsible for the events that had befallen his family, his people, and himself. He was hidden amongst the Morrigi a dessert people who survived within the deepest areas of the dessert where no other men dared go and who's chief had given his word to Abdek that Hasdrubal would be safe with them.

It was during these years that Hasdrubal learned the Morrigi way of war, their mystic prolonging of life, and where he plotted his revenge. After 13 years, Hasdrubal returned to Phuraii.... in the middle of the night, without warning, and at the head of an army of 600 Morrigi warriors. Within a single blood soaked night, he and his soldiers had silently and ruthlessly eliminated anyone within the city who would have stood against him. To the general populace of Phuraii, who had been horribly oppressed since their defeat,  Hasdrubal was greeted as a savior. Men who days before had been downtrodden and unwilling to fight flocked to his banner and the promise of vengeance that he preached.

Since then the past 9 years have seen Hasdrubal attack and conquer  the differing kingdoms which he sees as having a part in the original fall of his father. First of course came The Ustian Empire, their land salted, and their people enslaved to the last man woman and child. Following shortly after the Ustians was The Principality of Belka, their capitol burned to the ground. Next was Yuktobonia a militaristic country which prepared itself to fight a long war that would sap Hasdrubal of his army. But even they were unprepared for warfare on the scale that Hasdrubal would bring.

Finally The only victim left on Hasdrubal's list was Saurantin which now lies defeated before him. Up to this point his life has been purely focused on revenge, it has had a clear purpose but now that he has succeed in that purpose what his next moves will be are as much a mystery to him as those who serve him.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Urbanzorro

Sorry he took so long, hope you like ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Caela

I like very much!! He was definitely worth the wait, just as I was sure he would be. :D

Now I'd like at least a couple more people to start, but I don't mind starting it as a small game and seeing if it grows. If Joslyn's still interested then Hasdrubal has at least one ally/advisor/warrior and I'd like at least one member of the Saurantin Court to act as an adviser to Isheth. If I don't have someone in a couple of days, I can always NPC them lol.

Lots of room for palace intrigue, spying, drama...so many ways to play it. Looking forward to having fun with it. :D

Joslyn

I'm still here and interested. :)

It seems that Selistria's background fits in fairly well with her warlord. We could say that Hasdrubal purchased her shortly after he took back Phuraii. I suppose she will be a little more conflicted than I originally pictured her, on account of how harshly the warlord has dealt with the lands he conquered. She would still be loyal of course, but try to steer him in a more merciful direction.

Urbanzorro, it's up to you how far the warlord trusts Selistria's judgment and intentions. And also whether or not he harbors any desire for her and intent to act on that. He can also decide if he wants to free her from slavery--though she'll stick around either way.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Well, I'm interested, and I wouldn't mind writing up a character for the Saurantin court.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Caela

Peace, I've seen your writing and you are more than welcome. I look forward to seeing who you come up with. You can be any part of the Court you like. Everything but the King, (whose dead) and the Princess is open from a Ducal seat to a Knight, to a ladies maid or other servant. :)

Oh, and as a side note, just because your character is of the Saurantin Court, doesn't mean they have to be loyal. They could easily have their own ambitions or political axes to grind. Have fun with it! :D

PeacethatPowerbrings

Name: Arcan (given name) Isten(Hereditary Title)
Orientation: Straight

Appearance:
Arcan is 6'4'' and physically powerful. Both agile and strong, Arcan is pale skinned with short, quite messy, blonde hair. Arcan's eyes are a bright gold color. He has no scars, though he does have several tattoos, one of which is his family crest, on his right shoulder-blade.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Personality: Arcan is arrogant and somewhat unreflective. He treats his life as the product of training, which dictates his actions before they occur. He is something like a berserker and a killing machine. He relies heavily on rage and emotion, but his training defines his actions, usually making him seem cold and efficient. At times his nature is more obvious, but in any case his is what he was trained to be.

Background:

As the middle son of a wealthy noble family, Arcan is a Knight. His physical power is coincidence, as he was selected from a young age as among the most promising of the children. Although all of the children were trained, his training continued beyond his childhood, and expanded. His father, the Duke Isten, allowed him to become a knight, in order to focus him further.

He entered training to become a knight at the age of fourteen, and excelled there as well. Arcan's order was a small group of extremely dedicated master-knights, meant to be trained from a young age to be proficient in all forms of conventional combat. Their proficiency was born of a training regime which intended to make their soldiers into the perfect weapon. They trained young recruits from noble families to avoid fear, compassion and mercy, and focus on rage, and hatred. Although the harshness of the training was intended to make them berserkers, it was married with a kind of procedural approach to combat. Every action and motion was meticulously rehearsed, and they were given rules.

The rules, and the training, were meant to give them all the characteristics of a perfect knight, just, kind, compassionate, merciful, a servant of the people, without sacrificing the ruthless efficiency and blood lust of the most terrible killers. It succeeded to the point that each of the knights, if they completed their training and were granted knighthood, had realized this dream. Fighting on rage and hatred in a kind of mantra, these knights seemed to cold forces of death on the battlefield, and Arcan is no different. Outside of the realm of combat, the knights seem quite normal, in reality, there being no way to purge the candidate of emotion left them merely with strict control over those their trainers did not wish to cultivate.

Arcan has served as a knight of his order for six years. However, when he was twenty-two his father died, leaving his eldest brother to inherit. Instead of accepting, his eldest brother passed the title onto him, as family tradition dictated. Arcan being technically a Duke, he avoided resigning his knightly order, by having his eldest brother administrate the Duchy in his stead. Although most of his order was killed in the fighting, he, and his soldiers, are inside the capitol when the palace is stormed.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Caela

He looks great Peace. I noticed you didn't put anything about where his actual loyalties may lie and love it. He could be utterly loyal to the throne, or could end up finding another warrior worth following in Urban's warlord. So many fun ways to twist people up.

I think we can easily start with the four of us, but I will definitely be looking to add more characters as well. I love a good court intrigue now and again after all! :D I'll work up an opening post this weekend.

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Caela

Tydorei

I see the ooc is up. does that mean apps are closed? Or can I apply?

Caela

Please feel welcome to apply! There is still plenty of room for more players on either side. I'll keep taking players for quite some time. Will be getting the IC up sometime today.