What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I don't really know how MMO games work... can you turn the grafficks down? I don't meet the full specs >: if I can, sure, I'll give it a try. It does look interesting. Plus I can play a lolicon girl with a gigantic hammer.

Hey, there's a market out there for middle aged men to play 8 year olds, and they finally have a product >.> At least this keeps them away from alleyway vendors and supporting legitimate business!

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on May 20, 2012, 09:52:36 PM
I don't really know how MMO games work... can you turn the grafficks down? I don't meet the full specs >: if I can, sure, I'll give it a try. It does look interesting. Plus I can play a lolicon girl with a gigantic hammer.

Hey, there's a market out there for middle aged men to play 8 year olds, and they finally have a product >.> At least this keeps them away from alleyway vendors and supporting legitimate business!

Yeah, most MMO's give you the ability to lower the game's specs.  And it's from Korea, so what do you expect for the female character models?  Didn't Korea do Lineage 2, with the loli-Dwarf women?

Sabby

Tonalberry

Lol, that's true.  I read some of the review for it from G4TV.com? I think, and the reviewer mentioned lifting an eyebrow when he saw the child-like race running around in something just as skimpy as everyone else.

But yeah, male Dwarves in Lineage 2 are creepy pedo's, having loli-women for wives.

Wolfy

Sabby

Nononono, see, it's okay now! Really. They fixed it. It's not offensive any more. See, they fixed it. The loli race wears pants now.

No, seriously, that's what they changed for western releases. Pants. Apparently, they wore shorts before that.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 20, 2012, 10:15:05 PM
Nononono, see, it's okay now! Really. They fixed it. It's not offensive any more. See, they fixed it. The loli race wears pants now.

No, seriously, that's what they changed for western releases. Pants. Apparently, they wore shorts before that.

....Sabby, I believe I posted ample material for you to rage on.

And this is how you repay me? D:>

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 20, 2012, 10:25:37 PM
....Sabby, I believe I posted ample material for you to rage on.

And this is how you repay me? D:>
Relax, he's still on the A-roll conversation, your plight is on his B-roll.

Why would he get mad at TES Online? It's not even done by Bethesda, just its parent company.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on May 20, 2012, 10:12:20 PM
HEY YOU GUYS.....

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117336-Elder-Scrolls-Onlines-Main-Story-Will-Be-a-Solo-Affair

Well...how about that.

Commence your complain'n!

I'll bite.

If the main story is a "100% solo" thing, why make an MMO? If it's an MMO, why make a story that's better suited for a SP game? It makes no sense, and you end up creating a game that, mechanically, is less interesting. I mean, it'll have a WoW-style combat system. I don't think anyone plays WoW for its interesting, flexible and creative combat system. Combat in games like Skyrim is exciting because you get moments where you decapitate an enemy, turn around, knock another one off a wall before turning to the third. It's a bit more fun than Pyroblast Fireball Fireball.

In SWTOR it kinda-sorta works because you have different classes with different stories, but even there it's far, far from perfect.

Like I've said before. MMOs are where good games go to die. Nobody seems to realize that the next big MMO has to either be called World of Warcraft 2 ( and even that wouldn't get all the WoW players ) - or it has to be fundamentally different.

I have no faith that the World of Darkness MMO they're working on will in any way usurp WoW, but that at least sounds interesting, from what rumors exist.

Bayushi

Am I the only one who misses slaying dragons with a couple friends, lots of paper, pencils, dice, and maybe miniatures?

As much as I enjoy some MMOs, they're starting to get stale and overdone. Some were well-lent towards being played as MMOs (Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, City of Heroes/Villains, Star Wars (at least Galaxies)), where others just don't or won't work well (Elder Scrolls, Star Trek, Warhammer). Obviously, a lot of the problem can be attributed to the developers, not the IP, but with games like TES, the experience is the STORY, not multiplayer combat. If there is no multiplayer combat, then good luck getting anywhere with the game.

To me, we have too many MMOs, and not enough MMORPGs. So many of the MMOs of late have completely forsaken good story telling and role playing (see: World of Warcraft's story being completely terrible on one side, and non-existent on the other) that they're just not all that fun anymore.

People keep playing these games for a lack of anything better to play (hence why WoW still has north of 10 million subscriptions).

Oniya

Quote from: Akiko on May 21, 2012, 06:49:58 PM
Am I the only one who misses slaying dragons with a couple friends, lots of paper, pencils, dice, and maybe miniatures?

*wavie-wavies*  We used to have a 5-lb coffee can full of 'extra dice'.  At one point, I was living in a house where there was a game for nearly every day of the week (different gamers, but we seriously thought about getting a Coca-cola vending license, just for the deliveries.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I'm ... interested in the World of Darkness MMO that's in the works because it seems to be trying to do something different. Very little is known about it at this point, but one thing that's clear is that it's very much about player interaction, and driven by player actions. They've said that even the Princes - that is, leaders of cities - will be players, which is something. It will also include some strange sort of perma-death, though it's not quite clear how that'll work ( Princes will apparently have the power to kill other players, permanently, but it's not explained just how that works ).

Ahh, here's something that clears it up:

QuoteFrom what I understand from the video the developer states that a “prince” can call a “blood hunt”. If a player dies from this blood hunt that player is permanently dead.

[ ... ]

In Vampire the Masquerade blood hunts were exceptionally rare. You basically had to really anger a prince or expose yourself as a vampire to mortals. I suspect that while permadeath is possible in World of Darkness its going to be rare to see a character actually permanently die.

It all just brings back memories of Ultima Online, which I had the great pleasure of playing for a while before it went downhill. That game where you could kill other people and take their stuff, but then you'd be declared an outlaw, and others could hunt you, and turn your head in for a bounty, which also messed with your stats if I remember correctly. There were actual consequences.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 21, 2012, 07:01:48 PM
*wavie-wavies*  We used to have a 5-lb coffee can full of 'extra dice'.  At one point, I was living in a house where there was a game for nearly every day of the week (different gamers, but we seriously thought about getting a Coca-cola vending license, just for the deliveries.)
Lucky... I can never find a group. I have one, and it's technically me and two other people.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Yeah - but I haven't had a gaming group since I left DC . :'( That was before the little Oni was verbal enough to play.  That's why I was agreeing with Akiko.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 21, 2012, 07:39:44 PM
I'm ... interested in the World of Darkness MMO that's in the works because it seems to be trying to do something different. Very little is known about it at this point, but one thing that's clear is that it's very much about player interaction, and driven by player actions. They've said that even the Princes - that is, leaders of cities - will be players, which is something. It will also include some strange sort of perma-death, though it's not quite clear how that'll work ( Princes will apparently have the power to kill other players, permanently, but it's not explained just how that works ).

Ahh, here's something that clears it up:

It all just brings back memories of Ultima Online, which I had the great pleasure of playing for a while before it went downhill. That game where you could kill other people and take their stuff, but then you'd be declared an outlaw, and others could hunt you, and turn your head in for a bounty, which also messed with your stats if I remember correctly. There were actual consequences.
I see a lot of room for abuse. If players can essentially be the mayor figure then it has to be combat driven, well someone's going to game the system for sure and become unbeatable. Then the only way to beat him would be to assemble a huge mob, but who rules afterward? Last person standing? Then that means that the person who games the system in the mob will win. If that's how it works. Though, I can't imagine a voting system for it. The only other way would be pay to rule.

Also there might be abuse on the part of the prince to call blood hunt on people they don't like.

Who knows.

Brandon

On the whole next big MMO thing, I dont think were going to see a game suddenly come up and take all the world of warcraft subscribers. What I think is going to happen is natural entropy will cause some people to unsub, then as other games come out players will go to them. This will slowly make WoW's subscriber base shrink till its at a small size

I dont think any one game could kill wow (on that note I dont understand why people want it dead) but several little games along with WoW itself. Perhaps the only stake the heart would be the dev's doing something that is universally hated to the point of pure disgust and thats unlikely to happen.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2012, 04:15:19 AM
On the whole next big MMO thing, I dont think were going to see a game suddenly come up and take all the world of warcraft subscribers. What I think is going to happen is natural entropy will cause some people to unsub, then as other games come out players will go to them. This will slowly make WoW's subscriber base shrink till its at a small size

I dont think any one game could kill wow (on that note I dont understand why people want it dead) but several little games along with WoW itself. Perhaps the only stake the heart would be the dev's doing something that is universally hated to the point of pure disgust and thats unlikely to happen.
"Cause some people to unsub..." See, kids, MaMorPaGahs cause you to become a serial killer. :D Ah, context, it exists to be destroyed.

In seriousness though, WoW will probably die the Death of One Thousand Cuts. It's already happening right now. You get a Rift here, a SWtOR there, some Terra on the side, and ironically whatever new Skinner Box Blizzard is cooking up in their own studio.

That or someone will hack BattleNet and wipe out the data for all  Blizzard IPs. They tend to underestimate hackers while simultaneously providing a challenge for them, like blood in the water for sharks. Actually, the only thing stopping that from happening is the fact that the hackers want to make money on the items they steal and they need the IPs up and running. It would take a Dr. Doom level hacker to do it just for the Evulz.

EDIT: This just in, screw Blizzard, WoW, MMOs, and everything else. It had a relase date, it has a release date!

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/xcom-enemy-unknown-release-date-special-edition-and-more

I think I need to go change my pants...  :-[

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 21, 2012, 11:25:27 PM
I see a lot of room for abuse. If players can essentially be the mayor figure then it has to be combat driven, well someone's going to game the system for sure and become unbeatable. Then the only way to beat him would be to assemble a huge mob, but who rules afterward? Last person standing? Then that means that the person who games the system in the mob will win. If that's how it works. Though, I can't imagine a voting system for it. The only other way would be pay to rule.

Also there might be abuse on the part of the prince to call blood hunt on people they don't like.

Who knows.

The details are sketchy, but from the articles that do exist, it's apparently a democratic process of some sort, where, in order to be leader, you actually need support. The same goes for calling a blood hunt on someone. It's probably something you do to, say, eliminate powerful rivals, or people who are dicks, rather than to gank noobs.

Sabby

Sabby

Welp, a Kingdoms of Amalur MMO is coming, and it's being published by the Government of Road Island.

Nope, I am not commenting. Brain just goes zzzzzt! Need a lot more coffee to even start on this one.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on May 22, 2012, 09:31:29 AM
Yep. That's how democracy works.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or insightful.

Sabby

Yeah, I tend to blur the lines when I'm forced to wake up at a certain time.

In other aggravating news, Aliens: Colonial Marines has joined Bioshock: Infinite in being pushed back to Febuary. I just hope it's to make the game a little less shit and not to add multiplayer. With Bioshock, I'm almost certain they're trying to make some sort of multiplayer addition involving the multiverse silliness. Yep, 9 more months for a Dark Souls community gimmick.

Believe me, I want to be wrong, I'm just assuming the worst so all I have to go to is upwards from here.

Hemingway

Anyway, I'm so bored with all the games I have right now ( except SWTOR, but I only play that to PvP with my friends, so when they're not around ... ), so I decided to download that new Microsoft Flight Sim and put my joystick to use. I also decided to download Tribes Ascend. They're both free, so why not.

Then it struck me.

I can fly around Hawaii, listening to ...

Magnum P.I. - Opening

Sabby

Just started Dragons Dogma.

You can be a loli. Yep. I'm playing a duel wielding, whirl-wind-of-blades 10 year old.

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on May 22, 2012, 10:07:39 AM
Anyway, I'm so bored with all the games I have right now ( except SWTOR, but I only play that to PvP with my friends, so when they're not around ... ), so I decided to download that new Microsoft Flight Sim and put my joystick to use. I also decided to download Tribes Ascend. They're both free, so why not.

Then it struck me.

I can fly around Hawaii, listening to ...

Magnum P.I. - Opening

And when you get tired of that, there's always...
Hawaii Five O TV Show Opening Theme Season One