Google's Project Glass.. bound to fail?

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 07, 2012, 01:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

How the folks @ Google present it...
Project Glass: One day...

How I imagine that the 3g/4g network providers see it..
ADmented Reality - Google Glasses Remixed with Google Ads

I think the AR project that Google is trying to do is very interesting. (Mostly from a geek point of view) but I'm doubtful that the vision the first video has show will actually happen for a variety of reasons.
1. The simple fact of standardization. If they had been able to keep teeth in the Open Handset Alliance I'd be more optimistic about their chances of a standardized format being implemented. Problem was to overcome the iOS smartphone, Google had to bend on some of the (in my opinon) issues that they entered into the smartphone community with in 2007 or so with the introduction of the Android OS.
2. Bloatware. Tied closely to the first issue, anyone who has been a smartphone user has seen this to some degree. There is a TON of it out there, depending on the platform. For example the lock in of Bing as the default search on some Verizon smartphones for some time. And other providers are just as bad.
3. Legal. Right off the bat, I can see one problem with the 'on the fly' recording/camera function. It's illegal in at least a few states to record cops in the commision of their duties, and the ability to 'spy/stalk' a person will be used as a issue to curtail it's features, and once a few of them are crippled it won't be as useful.
4. Interface. I'm naturally leery of a 'voice recognition' system that works. Working with as a diversified group of people as I have.. I just don't see this coming to work as good as the video shows. I mean.. I've worked with folks from the Philipines, which is a lesson in language recognition in and of itself, and a dozen or so guys from the southern Louisiana region that would blow your gasket. Not to mention my own bizarre drawl which is the result of growing up in the Carolinas, Ireland and Georgia.

I think it's an interesting project, but I don't see an effective model coming out of this in less than 3 to 5 years.

Additionally I know that at least some insurance companies in the US have consistently lobbied AGAINST any sort of 'Heads Up' display or AR dispaly in cars. They won't like this idea either.

Tiberius

This just wont work for so many reason, they have good intentions, but this stuff can be used for so many dangerous/illegal things as well that it just wont go ahead in a workable condition

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tiberius on April 07, 2012, 10:03:19 PM
This just wont work for so many reason, they have good intentions, but this stuff can be used for so many dangerous/illegal things as well that it just wont go ahead in a workable condition

I see the dangerous (driving) but I don't see much in the illegal (unless you are counting the record/photographer bits).

Care to share your impressions?

Tiberius

There has to be a balance, anything can be abused for the wrong purposes, so there also needs to be a level of safeguards to prevent improper usage. If they don't add proper security measures it could end up being regulated that they can't use it and have to re-design it so it can be used.

Its quite similar to Facebook, its had to be re-done multiple times because it is being abused. And it is still being used improperly because the correct amount of resources are not avalible to ensure proper usage. Its the same with this, if they dont have adequate safety measures to insure dangerous/illegal usage is minimized they might be faced with the cost of re-designing it

PeacethatPowerbrings

I think the largest hurdle would be a technological one. On the basis I'd put it a few years out, though I'd be happy to be wrong on that point.

The legal issues, though, I don't see being a problem. There may be some reaction, as there always is, but in the end, I don't think it would do anything fundamentally different enough that it entails new legal issues. Crimes related to filming address what you can film, not what you can use to film with. If they did all cameras would be made illegal. Usage determines what is a crime, and in the case of something like this, the usage would probably be not significantly more enabling than a camera phone.

The heads-up thing for cars, I can see, but we can't regulate devices based on that. Cell-phones have the same problem. Either the problem will turn out to be insignificant, or we'll just end up with laws prohibiting drives from using their AR specs while driving.

The functions of the device are not wholly novel, so ultimately, I figure the legalities will clear up pretty quickly.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Callie Del Noire

I think the biggest problem, initially, will be the service providers. They'll want to put their 'thumb print' on it, and not give a damn what impact it has on service. Android is a fairly solid system, and almost ALL issues I have with it is company X has to put their own unique look, programs, and bloat to it.

If Google had kept the Open Handset Alliance going, they could have truly changed the way the service providers work the market. They caved in to get a leg up on Apple.. now you got the Heinz OS.. 57 varieties of the same basic model.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Granted. The ideal position, however, would be for the market enthusiasm to give them the advantage in keeping the OS free of the service provider crap. I think service providers are eventually going to have to change the way they do business regardless, and the more companies that don't cave, the better. The only way to get that done at this point, though is to have market demand high enough that the service providers all beg to be the one to sell it.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: PeacethatPowerbrings on April 08, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
Granted. The ideal position, however, would be for the market enthusiasm to give them the advantage in keeping the OS free of the service provider crap. I think service providers are eventually going to have to change the way they do business regardless, and the more companies that don't cave, the better. The only way to get that done at this point, though is to have market demand high enough that the service providers all beg to be the one to sell it.

Unfortunately.. Google has already caved. So the providers will expect it again. I DO think that if Google finishes up their move on Motorola Mobility that they will have a vastly superior position in dictating terms to the industry just like Apple. With their own manufacturing capacity, like Apple, they can tell manufacturing rivals and the telecoms to get bent. Question is will they be able to get Motorola Mobility or not. I, personally, would have kept Glass quiet till I had the company in the pocket.

I think they plan to do that. I wish them luck.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yeah, I think the video was a bit premature. If they we announcing a launch date, then it might've built the hype required to let them dictate terms. As it is the technical challenges of accomplishing the project only exacerbate the market problems. I do hope it works out for them, though, of course.

Callie Del Noire

Clearly they've been working on it a while (if what is on the video is what they are doing and not what they are building towards). I can imagine if they thought they had a leak coming they might release it to head off the leak stealing their thunder but aside from that.. I don't see why they should do this.

I saw the same sort of hype when Microsoft did their version of a tablet 2 years earlier than the iPad only to have it get torpedoed. Apparently it was something out of the Xbox design division and the Windows Design team thought it was 'irrelevant' and got it shelved.

Sabby

These things always show the hardware working perfectly xD I just wanna see how it will really work...

"Where's the music section?" Doesn't load. Refresh. Doesn't load. No Map added to database. FUCK!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on April 08, 2012, 09:48:11 PM
These things always show the hardware working perfectly xD I just wanna see how it will really work...

"Where's the music section?" Doesn't load. Refresh. Doesn't load. No Map added to database. FUCK!

Well if you can post 'virtual ads' (like in Shadowrun) just IMAGINE the chaos that will come out of it. It will look like Hong Kong on New Years all the time (but not as fun)