News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Tell us about the good ol' days

Started by Scott, May 30, 2009, 12:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

I've always been curious about Elliquiy's history, so all you old timers spill it... How'd we get here from RPoL?, Who was Lilac and what was she like?, I'll make the s'mores and keep the campfire burning, you tell the stories :)       

Scott

Ok, if nobody's going to tell me the actual history... I can make one up :)

Once upon a time.... Lilac was in the grocery store buying some chocolate, a bag of Orville Redenbacher's microwave popcorn, a burrito, Cosmo, and and the new issue of gamers weekly.

She hadn't been happy with RPoL in some time, it wasn't the friendly place she had hoped it was, and even the color scheme of their pages was all jacked up. She was considering going to the other checkout line in the store, but just as she was about to cut in front of the single guy buying a tv dinner and a coke that was walking slowly toward the empty line, the 16 year old cashier working it announced that she'd worked so hard during the first 15 minutes of her shift, and that it was "her break". Lilac fanned herself with the Cosmo, the air conditioning in the store was broken that day, and it seemed even buying chocolate was a chore.

The lady in front of her was buying food for her entire neighborhood, so she opened the bag phone in her shopping cart. (the only real reason she had a shopping cart in the first place was to lug her bag phone around) and called Vekseid. "Hi Veks" she said, Veks replied "Hi Lilac, whats shakin?" Lilac replied. "Just buying a some chocolate, a burrito, and a Cosmo... listen Veks, what do you think about"... she stopped for a dramatic pause... "Starting our own website, RPoL is such a drag". Veks thought for a minute, "sure that sounds like a great idea doll" he replied "but what do you want to call it?" he asked.

Lilac was trying to think of a name with Veks still listening on the phone, when the single guy peeked into her shopping cart and asked "Hey what kinda burrito is that?" Lilac was annoyed at first by his intrusiveness but answered "I think El Torito burrito", She had just got the "El" out of her mouth when the rather large cashier with the unusually loud and high pitched sneezing voice sneezed.... "AH QUEEEEEE".

All Veks heard was "I think EL... AH QUEEEEE". He quickly typed that into his commodore 64 keyboard on "GO Daddy's" domain name availability site, and found that "El AH QUEEE" was already being used by a concrete sales company, so he changed the spelling to "Elliquiy" and bought the site name for 9.95.

So thats how our great site was named.       

Xillen

It's all confidential!

Vekseid will kill us with a chainsaw if we spill the beans! Uh-huh ;)

(Actually, I wasn't around until after about 2 and a half years, but I picked up some bits and pieces. From what I understood, RPOL's staff was tightening up the rules over there, and there were a few stories that didn't fit under their rules, so Vekseid erected this place to run them instead.)

Maeven

Although I do quite like the el torrito explanation there's a brief synopsis on the main page under "About".
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

jouzinka

As I understood, Lilac ran the Elf Maiden and Human Barbarian game there and that was really not to the like of the RPoL staff, so when Veks moved here, she moved with the game and helped establish the place by taking an active part as a staff member. Somewhere there fits elandra too, but I have no clue about that. ;D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

Trieste

I thought it was Maiden and Monster that made them boot us, since the head cheese (forget his name) specifically mentioned the game in one of his rant posts. :P

Paradox

Greenthorn has been interviewing a lot of people with the most seniority about their time on Elliquiy; if you're interested, you should go check it out, Scott.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=22318.0

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Vandren

As I recall, and this is thinking back quite a ways, both "EMvHB" and "Medieval Master and Servant" were big issues with RPOL, as well as "MaM".  All three, along with numerous others, violated the new RPOL policies that stated everything had to fit an "R" movie rating or lower.  The only exceptions were those which had "artistic" adult content, as defined on a case by case basis by the RPOL moderators, and even those would require that members pay a certain fee to view/participate (not sure if that's ever actually been implemented).

Lots of hemming and hawing ensued, lots of questions about whether the new rule would be a) enforcable and b) enforced fairly, and lots of accusations flew everywhere (including that all the people in "adult games" were some sort of deviants who were driving away new, younger players because of parental concerns).  Since some of these accusations were made by staff members of RPOL who'd be responsible for enforcing the new rules . . . well, you can see how well that would go over.

Part of the problem too, I think, was that RPOL had a major influx of people from PlaybyWeb about a year or so before the mass exodus over here.  Most of those people fled PbW because of immaturity and lack of consistent rule application on the part of the PbW owner.  That, I think, made many of us more than a little suspicious of how the new rules would be applied at RPOL. Plus, some of the folks who would be enforcing the RPOL rules were among the ones throwing the proverbial gas on the proverbial fire at PbW.

I missed the first two or three months over here due to a self-enforced gaming dry spell, so can't speak to any impressions of how things were kicked off over here.  But, the above's my impression and memory of what went on to drive people over this way.

(BTW: Nothing against the RPOL folks, I still swing over there once in a while and still have some contact with some folks I met and "hung out" with over there. ;) )
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vekseid

Quote from: Trieste on June 02, 2009, 02:13:56 PM
I thought it was Maiden and Monster that made them boot us, since the head cheese (forget his name) specifically mentioned the game in one of his rant posts. :P

Never saw that one. Damn : /

Elven Maiden was frequently referenced by other members of the community, however, it was rather amusing.

Apparently saying "okay, just give me a week please" threw them for a complete loop. I forget her name, but she certainly was not expecting a rational or polite response to telling someone two 10k+ post games were going to be nuked.

10k+. Wowza. I'd like to see those... did they get archived?

Vekseid

Quote from: Karma on June 04, 2009, 03:21:52 AM
10k+. Wowza. I'd like to see those... did they get archived?

Yes, you can see the archives in the respective big games boards : )

consortium11

Quote from: Vekseid on June 04, 2009, 08:27:50 AM
Yes, you can see the archives in the respective big games boards : )

I thought I'd have a little oggle to see where E came from, but I can't seem to nagiviate that site for love or money. I tried searching for the thread names listed once I finally found the "browse games" option but nothing came up (even searching in the inactive/deleted fields) and a quick gm search didn't help either.

Any chance of a walkthrough or a direct link?

Cheers  :-)

jouzinka

Vekseid

No, you won't find them on RPoL - they were both deleted four years ago. We moved them and their archives to the boards Jouzinka just listed

Just go back to the first posts : )

consortium11

Quote from: jouzinka on June 04, 2009, 12:17:10 PM
I believe it's here for Maiden and the Monster: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=16.0

and here for Elven Maiden vs Human Barbarian: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0

Cheers

;D

Quote from: Vekseid on June 04, 2009, 12:18:38 PM
No, you won't find them on RPoL - they were both deleted four years ago. We moved them and their archives to the boards Jouzinka just listed

Just go back to the first posts : )

I see my free time rapidly disappearing...

jouzinka