What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Quote from: Oniya on July 06, 2016, 10:51:40 AM
Yeah, but what rhymes with 'fifty-one'?  ;-)

I mean, we could always combine two of the other states.  Keep the numbers even.  Or maybe split Michigan in two and issue commemorative playing cards.
Yeah, Upper Michigan never got along with Lower Michigan anyway, and I like playing cards.  :)

I have to admit I know nothing of this "Fifty Nifty United States" song, however.  Somehow I missed that.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Quote from: Valerian on July 06, 2016, 11:03:56 AM
Yeah, Upper Michigan never got along with Lower Michigan anyway, and I like playing cards.  :)

I have to admit I know nothing of this "Fifty Nifty United States" song, however.  Somehow I missed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5VhuUfwC4

Apparently written by Ray Charles. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 06, 2016, 10:53:24 AM
Or get rid of one. Perfect opportunity to jettison Texas, really.

Imagine the wall Trump would have to build around that!

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Kythia on July 06, 2016, 10:24:24 AM
I can't pretend I know much about the situation but the fact they're not has always baffled me.

Last Week Tonight had an interesting episode on Puerto Rico a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-mpuR_QHQ
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 06, 2016, 11:59:57 AM
Last Week Tonight had an interesting episode on Puerto Rico a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-mpuR_QHQ

This just makes me depressed. If at one point the National guard has to be deployed to the island due to complete collapse, I will be in tears, but I wont be surprised :(

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 05, 2016, 12:05:11 PM
I don't even have words.  *throws arms up and starts packing*

Going back to Puerto Rico. Goodbye everyone il see you all in the news :P *swims across ocean*

You know Puerto Rico is a US Territory and the presidential election has just as bad an impact there as it does the states, right?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Lustful Bride

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 06, 2016, 01:48:04 PM
You know Puerto Rico is a US Territory and the presidential election has just as bad an impact there as it does the states, right?

*points to all my previous posts* Yes I know. I lived there before :P

Kythia

The Chilcot report has been released.  This was an inquiry we commissioned several years ago in to the events leading up to the Iraq War and then some stuff about how that was handled.  It comes in at 2.6 million words.

In brief, intelligence and the legal case were flawed and not questioned as much as they should have been.  Military force wasn't necessary at that specific time.  Blair needn't have followed Bush so closely and overestimated his influence on US policy.

Also, the pound and the markets continue to slide in the wake of Brexit.  Brief uptick earlier but not enough to have a lasting effect.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 06, 2016, 10:17:37 AM
And I will admit to my own bias of wanting PR to become the 51st state already but that's just me.

All of my first memories are from the island and I still drop Spanish into my sentences sometimes when I speak to others...a part of me feels like its my home. I want it to join the rest of the states and have a permanent place here. I want people to care about the island :(

*smiles* I had a hunch, or an intuition, that you were from a Hispanic background, though I can't quite put my finger on why.  :-)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sain

Holy crap. Always knew basic moral values were a bit rarer in some parts of China, but the Bloody Harvest is just beyond disgusting...

http://endorganpillaging.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Bloody_Harvest-The_Slaughter-June-23-V2.pdf

Shorter more populist news version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxE5kZXjsY

TL;DR: Chinese government and military doing forced organ harvesting on massive scale from political/religious prisoners.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lustful Bride

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 06, 2016, 04:57:50 PM
*smiles* I had a hunch, or an intuition, that you were from a Hispanic background, though I can't quite put my finger on why.  :-)

Nah I just grew up there when parents worked in fort buchanna :P ''

Quote from: Sain on July 06, 2016, 05:15:49 PM
Holy crap. Always knew basic moral values were a bit rarer in some parts of China, but the Bloody Harvest is just beyond disgusting...

http://endorganpillaging.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Bloody_Harvest-The_Slaughter-June-23-V2.pdf

Shorter more populist news version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxE5kZXjsY

TL;DR: Chinese government and military doing forced organ harvesting on massive scale from political/religious prisoners.

*shivers* that's....that's..barbaric, monstrous.....I...

If they are doing this to the "dissidents" of political and religious difference, doesn't that make this a violation of their Human rights? (Oh wait I forgot UN doesn't do anything but write angry letters to people after the fact.)

TheGlyphstone

Wait, this is news? China's been using its prisoners as involuntary organ donors for a long time, though AFAIK until now, they had least had the courtesy of waiting until they were dead first.

gaggedLouise

Donald Trump sticks to his guns that Saddam was a useful guy who knew how to handle terrorists.

In one direction, he's saying pretty much "He's a crook, but he's our crook" - and politicians sometimes think that way, sure enough. But the weird thing is that he seems to imply Saddam would have been more useful to fight terrorism after 2003 than he was in the years before, at the time when al-Qaeda made their breakthrough.

He's right that Saddam didn't work with al-Qaeda and those guys (though he's very late to the party) but can he really get away with saying, in a campaign for the presidency, that:

Quote from: TrumpHe killed terrorists. He did that so good. They didn’t read them the rights. They didn’t talk. They were terrorists. Over.

::)

And the Hillary Clinton image? No better, but much less amazing. We already knew he would stop at nothing to get at her, and after all, it wasn't he or his own campaign staff who put that picture together. They just retweeted it and used it.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Renegade Vile

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 07, 2016, 07:26:27 AM
Donald Trump sticks to his guns that Saddam was a useful guy who knew how to handle terrorists.

In one direction, he's saying pretty much "He's a crook, but he's our crook" - and politicians sometimes think that way, sure enough. But the weird thing is that he seems to imply Saddam would have been more useful to fight terrorism after 2003 than he was in the years before, at the time when al-Qaeda made their breakthrough.

He's right that Saddam didn't work with al-Qaeda and those guys (though he's very late to the party) but can he really get away with saying, in a campaign for the presidency, that:

This is one of many reasons why the establishment is so afraid of him having a voice, because there are plenty in both parties that think this exact same thing. The fact that Saddam was useful to the US in many ways is exactly why it took so long for them to decide on what to do about him. They don't come out and say these things, but Trump does. He's so batshit insane that he has -no- filter and to politicians, that is horrifying.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

Beguile's Mistress

It is a disgraceful turn of events but I'm wondering where the ACLU was when these veterans needed help securing their citizenship and where other veteran services were, also.  The fact that some of the deportees are Vietnam War vets means their cases have been hanging in limbo for decades.  I'm hoping the ACLU is doing more to get the remaining immigrant veterans nationalized and not sitting on their hands moaning about the state of affairs.

Lustful Bride

Washington blacklists Kim Jung Un for Human Rights violations on his people. Pyongyang replies that this is tantamount to an act of war.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-says-us-sanctions-on-leader-a-declaration-of-war/ar-BBu4dkg?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Im not at all worried about North korea, my main worry is China's reaction and whether this will trigger Cold War 2: Final Boogaloo.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 07, 2016, 03:58:36 PM
Washington blacklists Kim Jung Un for Human Rights violations on his people. Pyongyang replies that this is tantamount to an act of war.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-says-us-sanctions-on-leader-a-declaration-of-war/ar-BBu4dkg?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Im not at all worried about North korea, my main worry is China's reaction and whether this will trigger Cold War 2: Final Boogaloo.

A Cold War is likely, a Hot War? Not so much. China's economy is as dependent on the US and Europe as ours is on them. The world has changed so much now that all-out warfare between the larger nations is almost tantamount to economical suicide. Weird world we live in.

la dame en noir

Another fatal shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

I'm at a loss for words. I'm trying so hard not to lose my mind. I'm scared for my life as a black woman. I'm scared for my kids - if I ever have any. I'm scared for the innocent people(no matter the race) that are the victims of police brutality.

This man was shot in front of his wife and 4 year old daughter. He was reaching for his wallet and the officer fucking shot him.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lustful Bride

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 07, 2016, 05:45:41 PM
Another fatal shooting

I'm at a loss for words. I'm trying so hard not to lose my mind. I'm scared for my life as a black woman. I'm scared for my kids - if I ever have any. I'm scared for the innocent people(no matter the race) that are the victims of police brutality.

This man was shot in front of his wife and 4 year old daughter. He was reaching for his wallet and the officer fucking shot him.

I am actually on the side that says the officer fucked up on this one. He overreacted and this lead to the death of a civilian. Especially when said civilian was doing what they were supposed to do.

He told the officer he had a gun because he was a concealed carry owner and by law you need to tell the officers if you have a piece on you. This to me further compels that we need Bodycameras for officers. Both to cut down on abuses of power and to protect them too from false claims.

Shit like this hurts all other cops and an example needs to be made in the court of law.

Lustful Bride

Vladimir Putin signs into law multiple controversial bills that some have called "Big Brother" acts. Apparently even Edward Snowden is criticizing this act.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-signs-controversial-anti-terror-measures-into-law/ar-BBu3qfN?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Lustful Bride

Shots fired at protest over police shooting. No one knows who fired the shots.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/shots-fired-at-dallas-protest-over-fatal-police-shootings/ar-BBu5aky

Ugh is it me or does it seem like every time this happens the police should all be put on leave and the National Guard should be the one handling the security? Because apparently we have to resort to peacekeeper measures to maintain some semblance of order now.

Update: 1 officer confirmed dead 3 others injured.

Update 2: 3 Officers dead and several injuries as unidentified snipers in elevated position fired at the protest.

Okay I now think National Guard peacekeepers are a reasonable option.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 07, 2016, 05:54:01 PM
... This to me further compels that we need Bodycameras for officers. Both to cut down on abuses of power and to protect them too from false claims.
Bodycams don't help much if nobody can see the footage. Politifact recently fact checked a statement by the ACLU about a proposed law in North Carolina. You might not like what you read there, but if you think bodycameras and dashboard cams will automatically increase transparency you might still want to check it out.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

MiraMirror

Update on the Texas shootings.  They're saying that there might be bomb threats. More are dead than we thought initially, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone is just doing all this to stir the pot.
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Renegade Vile

Quote from: la dame en noir on July 07, 2016, 05:45:41 PM
Another fatal shooting

This is a terrible accident, but don't lose sight that this was an accident. People can be high-strung and stressed. As perfect as officer should be acting, sometimes, they lose their own cool. I don't think this police officer shot the man on purpose. He should be tried and judged, but this shouldn't be treated as if the police force as a whole is out to shoot people. Horrible as this is, accidents happen. Police brutality implies explicit intent, as far as I can tell by this whole situation and the footage, this officer was stressed out over something and acted on a very bad impulse. Maybe the mere mention of the man that he admitted to having a weapon triggered some kind of fear reflex in the officer? Something that should be removed through training, but not everyone has the same mental fortitude...

I am actually on the side that says the officer fucked up on this one. He overreacted and this lead to the death of a civilian. Especially when said civilian was doing what they were supposed to do.

Exactly what I mean.

He told the officer he had a gun because he was a concealed carry owner and by law you need to tell the officers if you have a piece on you. This to me further compels that we need Bodycameras for officers. Both to cut down on abuses of power and to protect them too from false claims.

Shit like this hurts all other cops and an example needs to be made in the court of law.

I've thought that myself many times that things like bodycameras, cameras on riot shields, etc would help bring clarity to these things immensely. It'll help prove cases like these where the officer really did fuck up, or cases where they did exactly as what is expected of them.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 07, 2016, 10:30:03 PM
Shots fired at protest over police shooting. No one knows who fired the shots.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/shots-fired-at-dallas-protest-over-fatal-police-shootings/ar-BBu5aky

Ugh is it me or does it seem like every time this happens the police should all be put on leave and the National Guard should be the one handling the security? Because apparently we have to resort to peacekeeper measures to maintain some semblance of order now.

Update: 1 officer confirmed dead 3 others injured.

Update 2: 3 Officers dead and several injuries as unidentified snipers in elevated position fired at the protest.

Okay I now think National Guard peacekeepers are a reasonable option.

Of course, as we all know, when one officer fucks up, what we should do is open fire on officers that had nothing to do with it. People are complete idiots; always acting on impulse *shakes his head*. Somehow I sincerely doubt that the deaths of these officers is going to make anything better.

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 08, 2016, 02:41:46 AM
Bodycams don't help much if nobody can see the footage. Politifact recently fact checked a statement by the ACLU about a proposed law in North Carolina. You might not like what you read there, but if you think bodycameras and dashboard cams will automatically increase transparency you might still want to check it out.

Interesting, if they can keep so much of it secret, it would indeed decrease the value of these cameras. I'll be honest though, I'd only release this footage to the public AFTER trials have ended and convictions have fallen. Once there's a verdict, release the footage used in the trial to remove doubts of shenanigans.