News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Tipping Etiquette

Started by Fae Brin, June 25, 2011, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fae Brin

It's-- sort of educational?

For anyone with vague or concrete travel plans, anyway...

Tipping Etiquette Around the World
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

RubySlippers

I generally refuse to tip, its simple they get a wage and that wage should be what they get. I know in the US that is not good for wait staff but they could demand a wage that was higher and they put up with it. It would be different if it was an add on for extra good service and they didn't seem to make it part of their wages, I would tip 5-10% for really good service. I usually do also its what I feel like giving for such service and they should be grateful to get it. But I paid for my meal, your paid to serve me so that is your job. Then trying to make me feel bad for not having you pick my pocket for an extra 20% on top of the meal? I know the IRS assumes they get 20% if they are tipped is that my fault they could push to change so its based on actual extra monies taken in.

If someone only gets tips a sidewalk performer or something and that is their income and they are working for themselves while pleasing me as the audience so in those cases sure I can see it, but people should get a proper wage for their work if employed.

Just shows the sham is worldwide but I did noticed in some nations a much smaller tip is expected, makes you wonder what a waiter makes in those nations as far as wages and benefits.

Trieste

Well, hopefully you don't rant about it to them, Ruby. Given your tendency toward entitlement, I wouldn't be surprised if a few bodily fluids end up in your food and drink. Service workers are taking care of things that you eat and drink. It is pretty well unwise to piss them off or tell them how they 'should' treat their jobs. Not to mention that it's annoying to be pontificated at by strangers anyhow.

Thanks for sharing, Fae. I found it very interesting.

Beguile's Mistress

Thanks, Fae. 

Ruby Slippers I'd like to remind you that higher wages for servers, cooks and those who buss tables would result in higher prices for the menu items.  You would end up paying anyway.  It all comes down to whether people are gracious and appreciative or not.

Oniya

The U.K. entry is confusing.  I'm not sure if the word 'excepted' is a typo, or means that in those instances a tip is not the rule. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Martee

That's interesting, although not entirely surprising. The only thing that bugs me is the automatic service fee, because there's no guarantee it goes to the staff.  I understand why it's in place though, especially for larger parties.

I, myself, never worked in a position where I depended on tips as part of my income, thank the gods. This is not to say I haven't done my time in the trenches in the service industry, but I was fortunate (or, maybe, unfortunate) enough to be management - we didn't share in the tips.  Those long, horrific years serving the general public helped forge a deep camaraderie with the folks who now serve me and my family when we go out.  No matter how bad the service, I always leave a tip, at least 20% of the bill.  Always.  At the very least, I'm not the one having to clean the dishes or sweep up the crumbs.  This mentality led to many tense arguments between my husband and I early in our courtship, since resolved by giving all tipping responsibility over to me. What he doesn't know won't aggravate him.

As a teenager and into my early twenties, I spent most of my time at greek cafes, and quickly picked up the habit of tipping as we went (a night at the cafe could easily run 4-5 hours).  I realize that is not the norm, nor is it always economically feasible, but we sure were treated like kings and queens by the staff ;) The same at bars - first round gets a good tip, and usually every other round at least. My father drilled into us if we couldn't afford to take care of our servers, we couldn't afford to eat or drink out.  Good advice, I think.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Malefique

I'm in the UK and I don't tend to leave a tip unless I've had exceptional service.  At my local Starbucks (yes, I do frequent the place, I have a passion for any coffee that isn't supermarket cheapo instant served at boiling temperature with a dash of non-dairy whitener which tends to limit the outlets) there's a tip jar and I don't use it unless really, really pleased (though I do give the staff a big box of Thorntons chocolates to share at Christmas and Easter).  I use taxis at lot as well, and I don't tip them unless they've gone out of their way to be helpful, like helping lug my bags up my front steps.  Maybe it's mean of me, but I don't have a lot of money myself and I reckon I'm paying for acceptable service in the price of anything.  A tip is only called for if they've gone out of the way for me, like when I was taken ill in Starbucks and the staff found me a more private and comfortable seat, got me water and helped me get my medication and take it, and kept things quiet around me till the pain wore off. 
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Lilias

Since Greece is not included in the map, and it's still an affordable place to vacation, I'll throw in a couple of guidelines.

Generally, tips are included in the prices. Extras are welcome for exceptional service, or for keeping up with exceptional demands. If your waitperson needs to come to your table more than the three necessary times (order, serving, bill), you'd better leave a 10-15%. In bars, as well, judicious tipping can get you perks like free shots.

The only other place where tips are customary is at the hairdresser's. It's quite common for customers, especially long-standing ones, to wander back into the main floor after paying their bill, in order to find the junior who washed their hair and slip her a little something. I personally find it adorable.

You don't tip taxi drivers. Ever. There is an extra charge for luggage, and they will get it into the car and out of it for you (and they can give you a receipt if you ask for it, as well).

Whatever you have to pay for, it's euros only.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Fae Brin

Thank you! Greece is definitely a place to vacation to!
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 

Lord Mayerling

*laughs* If you're interested in saving on tips on vacation, don't come to New York City.

Restaurants - 25-35%
Cabs - 15% plus $1 for each piece of luggage
Hotel maid - $5-$10 per night
Delivery of food - 15%
Bartender $1-$2 per drink
If the super fixes something in your apartment - $20
The parking attendent - $5
The guy that pumps your gas - $5
Towel guy at the gym - $1/visit
Hairstylist - up to $5 for men, about $50 for women
Anything non-mail-related delivered to the house: groceries, laundry, furniture, plumbing, extermination - $10
I tip my postman $50 between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and give $5 for every package delivered by UPS or FedEx over that same timeframe.

Fae Brin

People pump other people's gas?

Maxwell Malamute

Most wait staff in the US make about $2.13 an hour, and don't get any benefits, no healthcare, nada, nothing. They depend on tips to make a living.

My mate might make $80 to $140 a night in tips, but they are taxed, so the pay-check is always zero. So he might clear $2,200 a month on average, but generally owes on taxes, and then health insurance is not cheap.

If restaurants had to pay $7.25 (or more) in the US, you would instead pay higher menu prices, plain and simple, and the wait staff would have less incentive to provide excellent service. I waited tables for many years, and, believe me, non-tipping customers are noted, and get slower service, and I have seen people even spit in their food. Which is rude, but it's a stressful job, and if it is the only thing you can find in an economy like the one we have now, it can really be frustrating not to be tipped. You might 'demand' a better wage, but you are more likely to be shown the door by the owners.

Not to mention, you are taxed on your implied tips, on your total sales. Say you give a table a checkfor $50. You will be taxed as if they left you 10%, or $5, even if they leave you nothing. So by not tipping, you are actually taking money from them.

If you can afford to eat out, you should also be able to afford to tip.

Oh, and I heard from this voice in the heavens that there's a special place in Hell reserved for non-tippers, where it is twice as hot!

Kidding, on that last one.

Playful rubber puppy, here! Into many other other things, just ask!

On and Offs, what I like to do/My Stories/The Origin of Love: My history, briefly/Meeting the Great God Pan

Fae Brin

Maxwell Malamute

In many states, yes.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Actually, it did go up here in Maryland, to $3.63, but remains low in many states.

Now, if at the end of the pay period, your tips and wage combined do not meet minimum wage, the employer technically has to make up the difference, though this seldom seems to happen, either because you do hit minimum, or they just gloss over that rule.

As you can see, it is complex...but not tipping means you are raising the amount a person is taxed on, or their tax liability, which is one reason non-tippers are so universally disliked by waitstaff.

Playful rubber puppy, here! Into many other other things, just ask!

On and Offs, what I like to do/My Stories/The Origin of Love: My history, briefly/Meeting the Great God Pan

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 25, 2011, 08:54:20 PM
People pump other people's gas?

Yes. It's called a full-service station. Not all gas stations in New York are full-service, but when they are, you have to tip the guy. He usually washes your windows and checks your oil and fluids, too.

Fae Brin

Is it optional? or is it just a matter of going to a not full-service station? and are they clearly marked?

I like pumping my own gas thanks.. >< : P

Beguile's Mistress

Some of it has to do with local laws and regulations.  There are some communities around her that prohibit pumping your own gas but most stations are self-service.

HockeyGod

What a great resource - thank you for posting! I tend to tip 20% all the time and even more if it was great service. Those people work hard and don't make as much as I do. I give my hair stylist an extra $10 and if I'm at a bar a long time, sitting at a table, and don't drink much I give the waiter or bartender extra. He/she could have been serving more drinks to others.

As for full-service...they used to be really popular here in Minnesota, but are very few and far between now.

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 25, 2011, 09:25:25 PM
Is it optional? or is it just a matter of going to a not full-service station? and are they clearly marked?

I like pumping my own gas thanks.. >< : P

There are full-service, and self-service stations. There's signage that says what's going on. Some stations have both self-service and full-service fuel islands. Usually the gas as the full-service station is about 10 cents more per gallon. It gets even more complicated, as the price is also different whether you pay with cash or a credit card. Either way, you tip the guy in cash.

Fae Brin

I'd only heard of people pumping your gas for you in movies. I didn't know it was legit. @.@

Why would there be a prohibition against pumping your own gas?
Quote from: Lord Mayerling on June 25, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
It gets even more complicated, as the price is also different whether you pay with cash or a credit card.

WHYY???

Lord Mayerling

Two reasons:  1) when you pay with a credit card, the credit card issue takes 3% of the sale, so the merchant makes you, the consumer pay it. 2) Cash sales aren't reported as income, so the merchant doesn't pay taxes on it (illegally).

Aint New York great?

Oniya

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 25, 2011, 09:32:49 PM
I'd only heard of people pumping your gas for you in movies. I didn't know it was legit. @.@

Why would there be a prohibition against pumping your own gas?

I don't know, but all of New Jersey is full service.  Never heard of tipping the service attendant though (makes notes for next time through NJ).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

HockeyGod

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on June 25, 2011, 09:37:48 PM
Aint New York great?

yes, they have gay marriage.

Quote from: Oniya on June 25, 2011, 09:40:33 PM
I don't know, but all of New Jersey is full service.  Never heard of tipping the service attendant though (makes notes for next time through NJ).

I think they're afraid of drive aways.  ::)

Oniya

Quote from: alxnjsh on June 25, 2011, 09:41:38 PM

I think they're afraid of drive aways.  ::)

It was true even before gas went up to over $3 a gallon.

Lord Mayerling

I know that in Oregon the whole state is full-service by law, and they did it to keep more people employed. In NJ, only the turnpike and garden state are full-service, and yes, you're supposed to tip them. Well, New Yorkers tip them.

I forgot. We also tipped our marriage officiant.