DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

This does indeed bring us full-circle.  The Paladin of Freedom's Aura grants immunity to Compulsion effects - but the Unicorn itself (MM1, page 250) also has immunity to Charm and Compulsion effects.  That's doubling up on the Compulsion immunity, and I'd like to see if I could trade the Paladin immunity for immunity to Fear, instead.

And True Seeing I'll have handled.  I spent one of my Known Sorcerer Spells is True Seeing, and that's if I don't decide to get myself a Runestaff that would let me use it, instead.

If all I really need is immunity to fear in order to complete the Mind Blank, then is there an item or something I can get for that?

TheGlyphstone

Then you're pretty much covered. I thought you were claiming the immunity to Charm/Compulsion as an indirect benefit of the persistent Magic Circle.

I don't know of any items that grant immunity to Fear off the top of my head, sadly.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I can see where that would get lost in the messaging.  But no, it's a racial ability for being a Unicorn.  Maybe I can talk with Zaer, swap one Aura for another?

Zaer Darkwail

As unique legendary monster your alignment can be anything. You can be LG Unicorn (as we got a red dragon with half-silver dragon template as CN), so thus able use standard paladin variant. But if because reasons you want to remain CG but want different aura, I am sure Kunoichi knows from dragon magazine a CG or general good aligned paladin subtype (was it liberator?) which got different aura variant (something immunity to any movement disablers or something such).

But overall point being; your stuck with the aura if your paladin of freedom (I do not allow swap auras between paladin of tyranny and paladin of slaugther despite paladin of tyranny has better aura to debuf saves). But you can have any alignment with your monster (as mentioned your form but also alignment can be unique from other monsters of your kind).

Anyways, I say I allow ghostly grasp feat allow to make natural or unarmed attacks as incorporeal creature as in end it would be pretty weird for it not to work (as in theory you can grasp corporeal sword and bash people with it already). But the amulet discussion you can use pathfinder amulet to get weapon enchants (without need to get +1 bonus to it first). The price remains same as other monsters have paid willingly the said price and some of them only got 2 natural attacks (or just were monks).

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  So to sum up.

Alignment - Anything I want it to be.

Paladin - I can't swap the aura from one paladin variant to another, but since I'm allowed to dictate my own alignment, I can (in theory) be any paladin that I want to be.  So, I can't be a Paladin of Freedom with the Aura of Courage from the standard Paladin, but I can be a standard Paladin

Ghostly Grasp - would let me use my unarmed and natural attacks without needing to have the Ghost Touch property, but ONLY those attacks - if I buy a magic sword, it will need the Ghost Touch property in order to ignore incorp miss chance.

Amulet of Mighty Fists - requires no numeric bonus, can be just straight weapon properties, but uses the Pathfinder cost progression, and affects all natural attacks of the bearer.

That about the long and short of it?

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Thanks for that.  Now, to head back to what I was doing and go from there...

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 25, 2016, 11:32:30 PM
If all I really need is immunity to fear in order to complete the Mind Blank, then is there an item or something I can get for that?

You have immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities as part of the Deathless creature type, and all fear effects are mind-affecting effects by default.  What you would actually need to mimic the full properties of a Mind Blank is immunity to divination spells and effects.

Ah, and the other chaotic good variant that Zaer mentioned is the Avenger, in Dragon Magazine #310.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 26, 2016, 01:56:45 AM
You have immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities as part of the Deathless creature type, and all fear effects are mind-affecting effects by default.  What you would actually need to mimic the full properties of a Mind Blank is immunity to divination spells and effects.

Ah, and the other chaotic good variant that Zaer mentioned is the Avenger, in Dragon Magazine #310.

Where would I find the abilities for being a Deathless creature?  I believe you when you say it exists, I just want to see if there's any other sort of bonuses I get for being one of those.

Kunoichi

The specifics for the Deathless type were first printed in the Book of Exalted Deeds, where the Sacred Watcher is from, but I believe the latest printing is in the Eberron Campaign Setting handbook.  I don't think anything changed between the two printings, but it would probably be a good idea to use the latest version anyway, just in case.

ReijiTabibito

I just PMed you an entry I found on the D&D wiki.  I don't have the ECS book...so...

Zaer Darkwail

I think deathless type in eberron actually is positive energy charged than negative energy charged (and thus can heal itself with healing spells while inflict spells harm them). But you should via google find PDF for eberron campaign setting and perhaps the dragon magazine issue.

ReijiTabibito

Found this with 10 seconds of Google.

EDIT REMOVED

It's not entirely super-explicit, but...place to start?

EDIT: Found it on Scribd, scribbling down the bits I need really quickly, can always go back later.

ererruz

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 26, 2016, 02:20:34 AM
I think deathless type in eberron actually is positive energy charged than negative energy charged (and thus can heal itself with healing spells while inflict spells harm them). But you should via google find PDF for eberron campaign setting and perhaps the dragon magazine issue.

That's basically what Deathless is in BoED as well.

The only difference I can see between the two versions is the way they formulated some sentences, i.e. (BoED) "immunity to all mind-effecting effects" and (ECS) "immunity to (...) mind-affecting spells and abilities"; or (BoED) "not subject to critical hits" and (ECS) "not subject to extra damage from critical hits".

ReijiTabibito

For those of you out there who have Exalted Deeds, can you tell me if the Luminous Armor spells (regular and Greater variant) have any cost aside from the 1dx Strength damage they cause to the user?

ererruz

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 26, 2016, 02:13:54 PM
For those of you out there who have Exalted Deeds, can you tell me if the Luminous Armor spells (regular and Greater variant) have any cost aside from the 1dx Strength damage they cause to the user?

No. Strength damage only.

Lockepick

The only component for either spell is 'Sacrifice' -- which is the 1d2/1d3 (Greater) Strength damage you mentioned.

Ererruz got there first :)
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

ererruz

Quote from: lockepick on February 26, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
The only component for either spell is 'Sacrifice' -- which is the 1d2/1d3 (Greater) Strength damage you mentioned.

Ererruz got there first :)

Swordsage'd you :-)

Kunoichi

I think the actual thing Reiji's trying to look into is whether or not Exalted spells in general have any extra cost if you're immune to the listed one in some way.  He's immune to physical ability score damage from being Deathless, so he's checking to see if there's any other cost he'd have to pay when casting Greater Luminous Armor, or if he can just cast it for essentially free.

ReijiTabibito

Quick question.  For the custom magic items (where you double the price of the most expensive to cover merging costs), I'm assuming the items need to be in the same general area?  IE, if your custom item is hands, you can't add an effect from a feet slot item.

EDIT: Additional question.  Is there a way to change the save DCs on some of these things?  Hate to say it, but the item DCs tend to SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Zaer Darkwail

With sacrifice spells (or vile spells) I take simple ruling; if your immune or unable to pay the sacrifice cost, you can't use the spell. But example if lich uses spell which kills the caster, they can do so as they can die (they just rejuvenate after d10 days after dying or HP reaching 0). If spell causes permament death, then either lich cannot use it or lich is permamently dead.

Anycase item save DC's remain as they are; there is class features meant to be used to boost item save DC's (those which duplicate spells anyway).

ReijiTabibito

So, I can't use the Luminous Armor spells because they require a sacrifice of 1d2/3 Strength damage, and as a Deathless, I'm immune to ability damage for Physical scores?

Could you, perhaps, give me a couple of those class features?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, offhand I remember Cannith Wand Adept PrC which adds his PrC for save DC and CL of wands he uses.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Well...right.  Not being able to use the Luminous Armor spells means I need to go back and change up a bit of my setup...

ererruz

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 27, 2016, 03:17:09 PM
So, I can't use the Luminous Armor spells because they require a sacrifice of 1d2/3 Strength damage, and as a Deathless, I'm immune to ability damage for Physical scores?

Could you, perhaps, give me a couple of those class features?

Can't you voluntarily suppress your immunity and accept that strength damage?