Crtl Issue in Chrome

Started by Nymphadora, May 24, 2018, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nymphadora

I thought I'd fixed it but gah, still happening so now let me see if anyone else has some ideas or has had the same thing happening.

A couple of weeks ago I started having an issue that I thought was related to pasting via Ctrl+v between tabs or text boxes in Chrome. The tab I would paste into seemed to lock up. I couldn't click anywhere, couldn't scroll, type, nothing. But I was able to click to a different open tab then click back to the one I was working in and resume. In this case I was moving emails to a Google Doc from Gmail to the open GDoc in the browser. It was annoying but I wasn't overly concerned.

I started seeing it if I was working on other sites soon enough. Copying and pasting with right clicks of my mouse did not show this issue, just to clarify. Only ctrl+c or ctrl+v seemed to be the issue. For example, pasting a URL into an [img] tag in a post caused the same problem. Soon enough I realised it was more specifically the Ctrl key. If I tried searching a page by hitting Ctrl+f I would have to click into a different open tab then back again to be able to search.

I have a handful of extensions running but none were new to me and my Chrome besides one. So I removed it. Still had the issue. I searched online and based on one suggestion for glitchy (not specifically my problem) Chrome, I reset my setting back to default and restarted the browser. Still happening. I ran scans (virus, malware and ccleaner). I cleared history and everything. Still happened. Removed ALL extensions. Still... I tested other programs. They were fine. So I bit the bullet and uninstalled Chrome and removed anything I could find from the computer before restarting and then reinstalling. Sovled! It was happening. Even after I put all of my extensions back, all good. That was last week.

I had 5 or 6 days free of this issue until I had it start up again last night.

It seems to be specifically related to hitting the Ctrl button and specifically related to Chrome.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Nymphadora

New things discovered...

It is ONLY the left side Ctrl key causing the issue and it is behaving like a screen/tab lock specifically in Chrome. By that I mean, if I hit Ctrl once even on its own, the tab I'm on locks up (though the cursor keeps flashing) then if I hit Ctrl again everything is unlocked.

So now I'm developing the habit (if copying and/or pasting) of hitting Ctrl again after doing the Ctrl+v or whatever. Irritating but at least I no longer have to click to an out of focus tab in Chrome to unlock it.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. I'd love to not have to deal with this and can't find anything in Chrome help or the net so far. I'm finally at a point of posting it to Chrome help too, though.

Thanks!
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Nymphadora

So a techie friend suggested I create a new user in Windows and do some more testing.

It has been a bit of a pain but everything is running good. I am not having the Ctrl problem in Chrome anymore.

His thinking was that something got modified in the Registry (somehow) and instead of trying to figure out what, where and how to fix it, moving everything to a new user should work, and so far so good!
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Vekseid

Weird keymapping maybe?

Good to get that fixed. : )

Nymphadora

Quote from: Vekseid on June 06, 2018, 05:24:51 PM
Weird keymapping maybe?

Good to get that fixed. : )

It must have been but I'll be damned if I could find anything to help me figure how to turn it off or adjust it in all my searching.

But yeah, very glad! It was such a PITA!

:)
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review