News:

Main Menu

M9-class solar flare.

Started by Saerrael, January 23, 2012, 06:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

http://spaceweather.com/

ALMOST-X FLARE AND CME (UPDATED): This morning, Jan. 23rd around 0359 UT, big sunspot 1402 erupted, producing a long-duration M9-class solar flare. The explosion's M9-ranking puts it on the threshold of being an X-flare, the most powerful kind.
(More on the site, itself.)

I was kind of shocked to not see anything on Elli about this when I logged in, as I was sure this would have caught the attention of at least a few Elliquiyans.

Aside being nerded out (excited, in a scientific kind of manner), I'm also wondering how this will effect Earth. Especially our more sensitive technology.
I did read around, yes, but mostly on non-English sites and, I admit, I am too lazy to translate all I have found.

I thought I'd point to this bit of information for those who are into this type of thing and hadn't seen it as of yet.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Saerra on January 23, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
http://spaceweather.com/

ALMOST-X FLARE AND CME (UPDATED): This morning, Jan. 23rd around 0359 UT, big sunspot 1402 erupted, producing a long-duration M9-class solar flare. The explosion's M9-ranking puts it on the threshold of being an X-flare, the most powerful kind.
(More on the site, itself.)

I was kind of shocked to not see anything on Elli about this when I logged in, as I was sure this would have caught the attention of at least a few Elliquiyans.

Aside being nerded out (excited, in a scientific kind of manner), I'm also wondering how this will effect Earth. Especially our more sensitive technology.
I did read around, yes, but mostly on non-English sites and, I admit, I am too lazy to translate all I have found.

I thought I'd point to this bit of information for those who are into this type of thing and hadn't seen it as of yet.

An M9 is notable but not exceptionally powerful.  The real threat isn't so much your normal top-of-solar-cycle flares (though they can be damaging), but rather a repeat of the Carrington Event.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

We understand the solar cycles, but are a little less clear on what turned this flare into such an unparalleled whopper.

Saerrael

Interesting. Thank you for the link, OldSchoolGamer. I seem to be having trouble finding more (in-depth information) about the current events asides astronomers being excited about the chances of Aurorae.

Rinzler

There's unlikely to be much of a threat, though radio blackouts at the higher latitudes are a possibility. The good news is that there's a distinct possibility of seeing the aurora borealis at lower latitudes: it was seen as far low as northern England yesterday, and I've been keeping tabs of the current space weather to see if I'll get another chance to see it from the south of England (last time was approx 11 years ago - again, when solar activity was peaking). I get my info from here: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/index.html - it also gives warnings of any expected disruption that might occur

The CME event will not strike earth until 2.00pm GMT, which means all that massive solar activity will occur in daytime for me :-( - but there been a lot bubbling away on the sun just recently, so I'm still keeping tabs on things.

Saerrael

Pretty sure I'm too far south myself, too *pouts* And I have no means to travel north, either. *boos*
Keeping an eye out, too. Maybe I can catch something of it. I'm CET, myself, so probably am in the same boat as you..
Thanks for the link, DeMalachine ♥

Oniya

I always get mucked up on time conversions.  I'm 5 hours off of GMT, which means it'll either be 7PM (sunset-ish) or 9AM (solidly daylight).  Sunset would be really cool, during the day, not so interesting.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

I'm -8 GMT, I think, which means it won't be exciting at all for me. >_> Sigh. I think I'm also too far south to see the aurora.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Rinzler

According to the NOAA site, the CME is expected to strike Earth at around 9am EST on Tuesday.

Oniya

Bother.  Might be able to see something if I look outside when I wake up (7AM)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saerrael

If I'm not mistaken, the cloud hitting us should take a few days, though. Though I'm not certain what that will mean Aurorae-wise, I'm hoping it will mean that we get a big(ger) window for it.

Rinzler

From the look of the charts, the M9 CME erupted early Monday morning, and by all accounts it's a speedy one!

Saerrael

Bah.. I thought I recalled an animation for the period of 22-31 :/
Then again, I am utterly flaky, and I can't recall how long the actually hit on Earth was >.> (could sworn it was more than 24hrs)
*reboots brain and buys more RAM for it*

Rinzler

The results of an X-class solar flare are currently buffeting the earth...so for me, it means another evening out watching for aurorae until the early hours...with frogs croaking in the pond and the scent of night-flowers on the air. Oh well... :-)

Oniya

I hope the cloud cover clears enough for me to see if the light-show makes it this far south.

Rinzler

^It's always a threat here in the UK. As someone once pointedly said - Britain doesn't have a climate, it just has weather.

Tiberius

Conspiracy nutters will tell you that the sun is going to do something on the Mayan Doomsday. I did see something about this flare on the news, they said it would disrupt unshielded satellite communications and cause EM disruptions in the atmosphere, they were worried that it would cause blackouts as powerful flares disrupt the flow of electricity from power stations.

Oniya

Quote from: Tiberius on April 05, 2012, 01:21:05 AM
Conspiracy nutters will tell you that the sun is going to do something on the Mayan Doomsday. I did see something about this flare on the news, they said it would disrupt unshielded satellite communications and cause EM disruptions in the atmosphere, they were worried that it would cause blackouts as powerful flares disrupt the flow of electricity from power stations.

I know that we are entering the high point of the solar flare cycle this year, but if the last couple haven't done any damage, I can't see it being a 'doomsday event.'

Iniquitous

^^ Kind of rude and judgmental there aren't you? I do kind of take offense to that because I can be considered a conspiracy theorist. Just because you do not believe it does not mean you have the right to insult and degrade those who do.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.