News:

Main Menu

Meaningful words

Started by Aeval, January 05, 2011, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeval

I thought I would start a thread where anyone could post a quote or something they read that they wanted to share.

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
Marie Beynon Ray

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Oniya

In a fortune cookie Mr. Oniya got:

A smile is a curve that can get a lot of things straight.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aeval

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Buddha
Dhammapada.

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Underneath

One of my closest friends told me this when I was having a really bad day and it's been with me ever since:

"I know things are hard sweetie, but things will pick up. You're not alone and you never will be, regardless of how things are right now.."

-Nicole

Saerrael

'Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.'
Kahlil Gibran on Love

Oniya

A friend is a gift you give yourself. - Robert Louis Stevenson
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Underneath

'Normal is just a setting on a hair dryer'  Barbara Johnson

(I had never heard it before until I was asked to elaborate on the meaning during my approval process.  It is so true )

Aeval

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late. Marie Beynon Ray

― Neil Gaiman

Braioch

I have a collection!

Here's some...

Quotes   
"To believe something is to be willing to betray it."
...""And what is it you think you have accomplished? If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself … and weaken them. It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards. You stole that struggle from them, cheapened it. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles. And when they triumph, they will be even stronger for the victory."
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."
"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."
"When one relies on sight to perceive the world, it is like trying to stare at the galaxy through a crack in the door."
"Yes… It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built."

^From KOTOR 2, yes, they are Star Wars quotes, but they are very true.

Then....

"My dangerous lack of morals and ethics is offset by my healthy fear of the law."
"A well balanced Mind never accomplished anything!"

^No idea where they came from, but love 'em

And I remember being at my old friend's mom's funeral. I was really good friends with him growing up and I knew and just adored his mother who was in constant bad health, but she was just an amazing (and hilarious) woman. When he told me she died I got a pretty good dose of grief over that, and it was a shame how she went. When we were standing there, a friend who had come with me to play support for me (since I chose to let my friend have his family around and not me crowding near them) said to me: "Braioch....it's so sad how she died....all by herself like that.....he didn't even find her till morning...."

To which I replied with a snort, without thinking, and it has stuck with me since, "Honey, when we die, we always die alone."

Don't know if I had heard it somewhere and it just surfaced at that moment, but right then it stuck. Morbid, but true I imagine.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Aeval

WOW~ That's quite  a collection, Braioch!

Here's another one for the list:
Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul.
Democritus

― Neil Gaiman

HairyHeretic

"Honor is the highest thing in the Universe; it is the power on which all things depend; it is the light by which all of life is guided.  Honor the highest within yourself, for it too is the power on which all things depend and the light by which all life is guided." 

--Marcus Aurelius (stoicism)-121- 180A.D.

This has been my email sig now for more years than I care to remember.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Avis habilis

"No, son. You murdered yourself. I just carried the bullet a while." - Mal, in The Message episode of Firefly.

Serephino

Wickedness is a myth created by good people to account for the curious attractions of others. 

In a completely sane world madness is the only freedom. 

Having courage means being the only one who knows you're afraid.

Aeval

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard

― Neil Gaiman

Hemingway

"The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

I take comfort in that, in times of worry, depression and doubt.

Saerrael

It's a bit long...
It's also fromm a song, but.. It always ring true in me.

Enigma, "The Return to Innocence"
"If you want then start to laugh.
If you must then start to cry.
Be yourself. Don't hide. Just believe in destiny.
Don't care what people say, just follow your own way.
Don't give up and lose the chance ; to return to innocence."

Aeval

If you pay attention at every moment, you form a new relationship to time. In some magical way; by slowing down, you become more efficient, productive, and energetic, focusing without distraction directly on the task in front of you. Not only do you become immersed in the moment, you become that moment.
-- Michael Ray

― Neil Gaiman

HockeyGod

I read this once in a memorial for a person in E and I found it quite profound. It's actual very simple. I was amazed at how moving I found it.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am in a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the softly falling snow.
    I am the gentle showers of rain,
    I am the fields of ripening grain.
    I am in the morning hush,
    I am in the graceful rush
    Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
    I am the starshine of the night.
    I am in the flowers that bloom,
    I am in a quiet room.
    I am in the birds that sing,
    I am in each lovely thing.
    Do not stand at my grave bereft
    I am not there. I have not left.

Source: Mary Frye, who was living in Baltimore at the time, wrote the poem in 1932. She had never written any poetry, but the plight of a young German Jewish woman, Margaret Schwarzkopf, who was staying with her and her husband, inspired the poem. She wrote it down on a brown paper shopping bag. Margaret Schwarzkopf had been concerned about her mother, who was ill in Germany, but she had been warned not to return home because of increasing anti-semitic unrest. When her mother died, the heartbroken young woman told Frye that she never had the chance to “stand by my mother’s grave and shed a tear”. Frye found herself composing a piece of verse on a brown paper shopping bag. Later she said that the words “just came to her” and expressed what she felt about life and death.
Cite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep

Aeval

I always liked that poem as well alxnjsh..I did not know the origin..thank you for sharing :-)

"Putting pen to paper lights more
    fires than matches ever will"...

- Malcolm Forbes (1919-1990)

― Neil Gaiman

jorick

Here's one that always struck me as amusingly true.

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks." —Lord Peter Wimsey, in Gaudy Night

Aeval

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
-- Groucho Marx

― Neil Gaiman

Aeval

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.
Purple Flowers - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

― Neil Gaiman

Shjade

Seems particularly appropriate for a forum with this one's central purpose and theme:

No one can know how glad I am to find
On any sheet the least display of mind.

-Robert Frost, A Considerable Speck
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Fae Brin

"Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life. But I'd rather be your moon, so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun isn't around."
-Unknown

--

"To let a fool kiss you is stupid; to let a kiss fool you is worse."
-Unknown

--

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
-The Principal, from Billy Madison

That's it for now. I assure you-- I have millions more.

-quote whore-
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Aeval

Fae...the first one is lovely..the second one very true and the 3rd one made me laugh..thank you! Feel free to post here anytime!! I love reading the quotes others post..lots that I haven't heard before!

― Neil Gaiman