Apple v Ann Summers in iGasm spat

Started by HairyHeretic, May 23, 2007, 09:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=18110

High street adult retailer Ann Summers has landed itself in a heap of trouble with Apple.

The retail chain has been promoting a £30 sex toy called the iGasm, a device which connects to any music player and offers users an erotic vibrating treat in time to the beat.

A News of the World report claims Apple is furious about Ann Summer's promotion of the device, and is demanding all posters for the gadget be taken down, under threat of court action.

The neon-pink posters depict an underwear-clad female silhouette holding an oval white device with two cables - one connected to a pair of white headphones, the other heading down toward the female's knickers.

The sales pitch urges music fans to: "Go at it hard and fast with a pounding drum 'n' bass track or chill with an ambient classic."

Apple is claiming the ad to be an abuse of the silhouette-based images it uses in its own advertising.

Ann Summers hasn't bowed to Apple's threats, the report explains.

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Celestial Goblin

As technology advances, it will soon be possible to have 'cyber sex' with actual 'cyber'.

Too bad Apple is kicking up a fuss about it, though I'd expect it's more greed than any kind of prudishness against vibrators...

HairyHeretic

I think its because their advertising uses the silhouette and the i- name. That'd be my guess at least.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Swedish Steel

Bah, girls get all the best toys these days. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Celestial Goblin

If someone would try to market an iSharkBait with a black silhouetto of a shark on pink a pink background they'd probably get angry too:)

Apple of Eris

I wonder if those things work well...
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Celestial Goblin

With such a toy, the 'what are you listening right now' thread seems even more interesting.

Nightwish 'Pharaoh Sails to Orion' gives me an orgasm just by listening to it, though. If I'd be able to experience it trough this toy, it could be dangerous!

And yeah, too bad there's none of such for men.

Swedish Steel

Yeah, it seems you are all out of luck if you don't like things up your ass. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Celestial Goblin

Hmm, I didn't think about it.
Wasn't there a song, though?
Who gets the job?
Of pushing the knob.
Thats what responsibility you draw straws for if your mad enough.

There's always the ass.
mmmm
There's always the ass.  :D
Always, always,always the ass.

There's always the ass.
mmmm
There's always the ass.
Always, always,always the ass

NightBird

But there are already devices for men and women that connect with either USB or parallel port and allow remote control by someone else you're chatting with...

Elvi

This is one of the many ipod advertising pictures.
Brand awareness and exclusivity is a big and very expencive business, so I can see why they are a little miffed by the Anne Summers campaign.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building