What do you do when your heart isnt in it?

Started by CaptainNexus616, October 19, 2015, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Think the title sums it up. For the past two and a half years I have been attending a community college which requires me to drive forty miles to get there and back home all together. I was originally going under a scholarship that would have allowed me to transfer to a university to pursue theater after I met the total requirement of credits. However after failing a biology class I failed to comprehend I lost that opportunity.Now to get an associate degree in General Studies I am back for my final semester forced to retake Biology through online but due to the course scheduleing here they do not offer tutoring.

In truth I am struggling because I am having troubles pulling the will to do it. Yes its my last semester and I'm almost there....its just that damn bio class coupled with me taking two years of classes I do not care about has sucked my willpower dry concerninig this. I'm finding it difficult to do my work and even get to my first class in the morning. I am normally a few minutes late despite it starting at 10:00 am. .Yest I can always study other things but I dont want to study anything else. I am going to pursue acting through the buisness as a back up plan I just need to get through this till December....

What I'm asking is can anyone relate and give tips how to findthe will?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

I hate biology. It was fun in high school but in college, at least in my experience, it's nothing but bulk memorization of disjointed, unrelated and difficult to piece together fragments of whatever emphasis the course happens to take. Really, a completely ridiculous curriculum. I totally sympathize. What tutoring is there, really? "Oh, memorize, this, this, and this that you were already supposed to memorize." My condolences.

I'm a former foster youth and my lack of good help, resources and knowledge when I got my ass booted out on the streets when I turned 18 landed me in a really shitty position. I almost didn't even go back to school after my disastrous first two semesters at a 4-year college and the experience burned me so badly I didn't attempt to return to even a community college until 5 years later when I heard about resources to help poor students. Unfortunately by then I was too old to qualify for just about anything designed to specifically help foster youth students. Can you imagine my delight when I heard about this turn of events?

I'm still gunning for my degree and it's been almost 10 years now and I have at least half of that left to go. So my advice is to look at a portrait of someone like me, let it turn your hair white, and use that to motivate yourself to just do it, friend. Make me feel a little less shitty about my situation by letting me know that you were successful and fortunate where I was an unlucky failure. I and people like me need that inspiration as badly, or worse, than you so we can all benefit each other. Do not let yourself end up like me, I implore you.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HannibalBarca

Yeah.  Everyone has a subject they suck at, or more than one.  With millions of pursuits in this world, we're bound to do poorly at most of them, whether nature or nurture.

I didn't get my bachelor's until I was 32.  I received my associate's when I was 25, then went to work for a vending company for the next five years until I was in a major auto accident.  Workman's compensation paid for a year of college after that, and I gutted through the last year.  Now however, I have full health care, a retirement plan, paid vacations, and a career I care about...it was all worth it in the end.

The thing was, I could have had that bachelor's degree when I was 22.  I had scholarship opportunities that I turned down.  After high school, I wanted to get out and earn some money, so I turned down (!) free money for school so I could earn some for my personal desires.  I was a smart kid, but not very practical.  In reality, I could have had real money ten years earlier if I had just gone to college right away, when my opportunity knocked.  It was ten years later--and a hundred times more difficult--when I finally got it.

Focus on the benefits and rewards of your education, if that helps to get you through.  Or listen to more stories like mine and Mathim's.  Wherever you get your motivation, get it.  I've read too many studies that say motivation is the most important factor to success in life, and I agree 100%.  It isn't always the best or brightest who succeed--and I'm neither--it's those who never give up.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu