Savage Worlds DeadLands (NC, Exotic, a bit of Ex)

Started by Robyn Hood, April 04, 2014, 04:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robyn Hood

NC (a touch of extreme?), exotic game

Well I think I might have to at least have a try at running a game myself. My particular kinks come in odd combinations so I thought to see them through I’d have to make a roleplay place themed around them. First, I would like this to be more than a sex game and want to cultivate adventure, story and style while still ladling in a fair amount of the sexy. Secondly, I’ve recently been introduced to the Savage Worlds system and thought its idea of fast, fun and furious would translate better to this forum kind of format as a system. I would like a steampunk, old west type elements because a few fantasy stories I’ve read set in those styles were interesting and it’s something I’ve wanted to give a try but haven’t had the chance. There will be beasties and creatures out to get the characters along with the villains.

The basic setting idea comes from the Savage World game Deadlands which I’ve seen mentioned here and went about reading up on it. Strange out-worldly powers invade the world in secret causing it to change and brining about magic, physic powers and weird technology and introduces horror elements. The twist would be that these evil powers feed on the sexual energy and life force of their victims; driving them to ecstasy so that they ‘expose’ their life force to be consumed. Instead of incapacitation the characters become subdued/defeated and unless someone is around to save you, you potentially get drained of your life force or devoured whole, depending on the situation and your personal preferences. The ratio of women to men born has increased dramatically, a result of secret tampering by the powers. I wouldn’t preclude female monstrosities and male victims but I’d like it to lean the other way around.

Before I write any more I’m wondering if there are any other crazy people who would like to join me on the adventure?

Edit:
Still playing?

• assleigh
  • Jayna

SGTDan

So will you be using Deadlands rules or just the setting?
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Kadigan

Foxy DeVille

Me likey both that sort of setting as well as the Savage Worlds system so I'm interested.

Robyn Hood

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on April 04, 2014, 04:36:29 PM
Interested if there's no system

I did a lot of free form role play for many years, I've been having more enjoyment with systems, at least lighter ones, so I am planning on attempting the Savage Worlds system.

Quote from: Foxy Oni on April 04, 2014, 09:59:41 PM
Me likey both that sort of setting as well as the Savage Worlds system so I'm interested.

Yay! That's one ^_^

Quote from: SGTDan on April 04, 2014, 04:22:28 PM
So will you be using Deadlands rules or just the setting?

Likely the rules, with the setting modified to tastes.

assleigh

I'm intrigued... What sort of slant should the characters have?.For example would a high born, psychic/Spiritualist British woman fit  here or would it be better to bring in a Gypsy witch type trying to find her sister who disappeared mysteriously 6 months ago?
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

Robyn Hood

Quote from: assleigh on April 05, 2014, 08:36:08 AM
I'm intrigued... What sort of slant should the characters have?.For example would a high born, psychic/Spiritualist British woman fit  here or would it be better to bring in a Gypsy witch type trying to find her sister who disappeared mysteriously 6 months ago?

Either could work, although my original thought would lean towards the first. I wanted to see if there was some interest and fill out the basics and if there was any suggestions from those interested, incorporate their ideas. I was going to give it till over the weekend and then start fleshing it out, since it seems there is enough for a game here ^_^

assleigh

Very cool... I'll keep an eye on this thread then :) looking forward to what you share next.
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

Nameless One

I love your idea Robyn! And I'd be glad to join as a character, but if you need a hand behind the scene, I could also play a NPC or some creatures.
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Robyn Hood

Quote from: Nameless One on April 06, 2014, 04:41:12 AM
I love your idea Robyn! And I'd be glad to join as a character, but if you need a hand behind the scene, I could also play a NPC or some creatures.

In the spirit of Savage Worlds, all the participants should feel free to direct the actions of the non-bad guy NPCs, rolling their dice and the like. So the stagecoach driver racing down the road carrying you away from danger, members of your posse (should you have one) and so on can be acted out by anyone who feels the need/wants to which we can work out during play.

I'm not sure if I'll need help behind the scenes, as I've never done this before. Don't worry, I won't hesitate to ask! >_<

Strangefate

Interested if this system is available free somewhere or at least the char gen part.  I swear I had something from the company that does Savage Lands downloaded at some point...might have been some kind of pulp/superhero game tho.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Robyn Hood

Send me a message if you do not have the Savage Worlds rules or the Deadland Reloaded rules.

The short of it is that we’ll use the Deadlands Reloaded setting with some modifications as detailed below. The general notion is that the book introduces a concept that the evil forces of work are just one of many types that happen to be the most influential of the time. This game has a slightly different evil force at work ~_^ but for expediency and because I don’t have a lot of time to write an entire setting from scratch, I was going to use the same basic structure.

There are a few house rules as well, you can go ahead and start making characters and posting them here. Please include some background, be as detailed or slim as you’d like. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves first, but make what you want. My idea is that once we see at least a couple (3-ish), I can start to craft the story based around them, including the starting location. Let me know if there is anything specific about your character you want (or don’t want) included in the early going, the first “adventure” as it were. We can then move this to an OOC thread and tie up any loose threads and get started.

If I didn’t mention any kind of change, assuming it is as in the book. I haven’t gone into all the details here, that is, some stuff from the section of Deadlands that would be known to “The Marshal”. I have actually thought of all of this and written down, but from a game perspective that is up to the players to discover. Even so, if you think I missed something important or want to alter something to fit the game better I hadn’t thought of, don’t hesitate to speak up! Lastly, please give me any feedback, good or bad ^_^

Setting and Background
The year is 1879, and the history is not our own. After almost two decades of bitter fighting, the American Civil War has ground to a standstill. The Confederate States are still free. California has fallen into the Pacific Ocean. Rail Barons fight bloody battles to decide who the victor will be in the race for a transcontinental railroad, while a superfuel called ghost rock advances technology by unpredictable leaps and sometimes dangerous bounds. The Sioux have retaken the Dakotas and the Coyote Confederation dances the Ghost Dance on the High Plains. Some even say abominations walk the land.

The confrontation between the American North and South remains unchanged, as is the current political situation as described in the book in 1879. Same for the native tribes and people.

Character Creation
This is also the same as the book, $250 starting money.

The Fairer Sex
Starting in the 1850s there was a sudden and unexplained shift the ratio of men and women born. By the middle of the decade it was around 3 to 1 girls to boys and by the end of the Civil War is had climbed to 5 to 1. Anyone of a magical type background can sense something at work in the womb of a pregnant woman. No heritage, race or tribe has been immune and it affects everyone in the Weird West. Fear, or the worry of spreading fear, keeps most mouths shut but secretly this phenomenon is certainly being studied.

Now that first generation of girls has become women in their 20s and with the Civil War and Tribal Wars (among themselves and the white man) taking its toll on the male population there has been a profound shift in the demographics. Depending on the local situation, men might be so rare that they are almost treated like a commodity. Competition in matters of the heart can be fierce… and deadly. Some women have simply adjusted seeking comfort elsewhere. An odd situation has developed where the birth of a boy is a momentous occasion, even as women have gained unprecedented cultural influence. Reality prevents discrimination of women from taking part in all roles of society. Even still, most of this is concentrated at the local level; simply not enough time has passed to dislodge older men from the upper echelons inside institutions of power. But these men are keenly aware of the ambitious women just waiting in the wings and are only happy to exploit their competitive nature.

The Weird West
Those of the appropriate background who would know of these things (Arcane, Ranger or Agent) still understand something other worldly is occurring and magic is real, both black and “good”. Ghost Rock remains unchanged as well.

Unlike in the Deadlands setting, changes happened earlier but much more slowly at first. Occurrences started getting reported in the 1850s although these were incredibly rare and for the most part dismissed. Something happened on July 4th 1863 that brought more rapid change and this date is still referred to as “The Reckoning”. The “Reckoners” are still thought of as dark gods and whispers that these evil forces choose mortals as servitors still abound. Monsters are real and tales about them abound. The nature of the Harrowed is somewhat different. They are still called that in reference to its more arcane meaning (pillaging and plundering). They aren’t undead but possessed by supernatural forces which are still referred to as “manitous”.

Fear and Terrorforming
These concepts still exist in the game. Fearmongers exist although their purpose is to not only generate fear but to directly consume souls. Abominations pretty much exist solely for the latter purpose. Servitors are those who specific allow their life energy to be absorbed in the service of evil, in exchange for keeping (part of) their soul and power. The cost being they serve the Reckoners and are in effect slaves to them. Unlike in Deadlands, once transformed servitors pretty much know what is going on. Since the process blackens their souls to the point of no return, any misgivings they would have had once the truth is revealed have been washed away by darkness.

Monsters
The undead are still around, but play less of a part, mostly replaced by what is collectively known as abominations. The manitous potentially possess those who become fully drained (more on that later), taking over their bodies completely after consuming the host body’s soul. There is no dominion game mechanic. Although potentially a character might become an agent of evil but simply be played on by the player until such time that the creature inside decides to reveal itself. But up until that point, no one can see anything wrong with them although animals still always seem to know. While inside a body, the person still has to eat, sleep and do everything a normal person does. When a manitous leaves a possessed body, the body simply collapses as it is an empty shell.

Agents and Rangers are on the case, tasked with hunting down monsters.

Game Rules

Bennies
To keep things simpler we are not going to use Fate Chips, but use Bennies as per the regular SW rules. Bennies will be regenerated at some regular interval. I’m thinking every two weeks but depending on the pace of the game I might either make it longer or shorter. Unless anyone has suggestions we can just start this way and see how it goes.

The one Fate Chip we’ll still use the Legend Chip. When the group does something to lower the fear level, the chip is awarded automatically to the group. And as a group you can discuss when and how the chip will be used, it is a shared bennie.

Wounds and Life Drain
Since the game is less about undeath, people who die do escape the torment. Except of course if they are raised as undead to serve a nefarious scheme (or an eager player who needs a few extras in a pinch) but at least their souls are safe. Turns out though, people are generally not too keen on giving up their souls. So the creatures have to take it from them. Generally your life force is “protected” deep within you. These creatures get people to give up that protection in the throes of ecstasy, forced or not.

It doesn’t do the monsters much good to mutilate their victims so damage is handled differently in a thematic sense. You still get shaken and take wounds as per the normal game mechanics; however a monster after your life force will instead assault you in a sexual manner: lick you head to toe with a slimy tongue, rip open your bodice or tear off a section of pants. These count as wounds in the game.

Becoming incapacitated in this instance means you are defeated and as such still suffer the same restrictions. You are also now a potential victim of the monster, unless you still have friends around or some other extraordinary means of escape. The monster will ravish you and try to get you to orgasmic release, and the release of your life force. Instead of Vigor, you make a Spirit roll with no wild diel but do NOT include your wound penalty. Certain monsters instead have an inherent penalty that you won’t discover until it is too late:

• Total of 1 or less: Your life force is completely consumed or the monster decides to just devour you whole instead of going for ecstasy.
  • Failure: You are forced to orgasm and the creature drains your life force deeply, giving you a -4 penalty on all rolls
  • Success: You fend off a full climax outlasting the beast as it finishes. It still manages to sap some of your life away, giving you a -2 penalty on all rolls. For each raise this is reduced by 1

The life drain penalty applies until all “wounds” suffered from the amorous advances of a creature are healed. Healing is as per the normal rules (heal skill, magic or natural) including the “Golden Hour”.

Now, if you face off against a group of bandits and everyone starts shooting at each other, well the normal rules apply. If one of those bandits seems reluctant to directly harm you, you might want to be on your guard.

Jaded

Robyn Hood

There is. Just start making a character and I'll fill in a roster of some kind. Those who responded for interest first can "bump" others. We should probably max out around six.

Jaded

A quick character, hopefully I didn't mess up anything.  She is blessed, with a focus on gunfighting. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Victoria Lavern
Race: Human

ATTRIBUTES
Agility:  d8
Smarts:   d4
Spirit:   d8
Strength: d6
Vigor:    d6

DERIVED
Charisma: +2
Grit: 1
Pace: 6"
Parry: 2
Toughness: 5

SKILLS
Faith [SPI]:        d8
Intimidation [SPI]: d4
Notice [SMT]:       d4
Riding [AGI]:       d6
Shooting [AGI]:     d8
Stealth [AGI]:      d6
Streetwise [SMT]:   d4
Survival [SMT]:     d4
Tracking [SMT]:     d4

EDGES
H. Attractive
1. Arcane Background (Miracles)

HINDRANCES
Curious [Major]
Loyal [Minor]
Vengeful [Minor]

GEAR
Boots ($8, 4)
Blouse, Dress ($3, 1)
Silk Stockings ($1, -)
Trousers ($2, 2)
Skirt ($2, 2)
Shoes ($2, 1)
Backpack ($2, 3)
Bed Roll ($4, 10)
Canteen ($1, 5)
Lantern ($2.5, 4)
Matches, 100 ($0.5, 0.25)
Shovel ($1.5, 5)
Gun Belt ($2, 1)
Stetson ($5, -)
Horse ($150, -)
Saddle ($25, 30)
Saddlebags ($5, 5)

Trail Rationsx7 ($0.5, 3)

Colt Peacemaker .45 (12/24/48, 2d6+1, 1, $15, 2, 6, AP1)
Knife (Str+d4, 1, $2)
.45 Ammunitionx100 (p/50, 5/50, $3)

Silver Cross?

$7

Victoria Lavern was the eldest daughter of Richard Lavern, a prominent rancher in Colorado.  She was raised well, though always had more of an interest in the outdoors than anything more scholarly.  Her world came crashing down when she was seventeen.  A group of bandits attacked the ranch, killing all those they captured, slaughtering the livestock, and burning every structure to the crowd.  Victoria returned from a visit to town to discover that she was now the only living member of her family. 

The death of Victoria's family spurred her into action.  She swore vengeance upon the bandits, eventually hunting several of them down.  It was as she stood above their leader, her gun pointed at him as he pleaded for his life, that she had a vision.  She swears that god spoke to her, telling her that these men were just pawns, that evil was loose in the world, and that she had to hunt down their master.  The man, taking advantage of her distraction, attempted to wrest her gun from her, and got a bullet in the chest for his troubles. 

Victoria, now tasked with a mission that she believes is from god himself, has set out to find the bandit's master, and remove the evil blight upon the world. 

Worst Nightmare: Victoria saw what was left of her family, and is truly terrified of ever being in the tender care of a group of bandits.

Foxy DeVille

Here's my character idea...

Sister Maria Castellano
Name: Sister Maria Castellano
Race: Human
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Faith (Arcane) d6, Healing d6, Knowledge: English d6, Knowledge: Religion d6, Notice d4, Persuasion d4, Riding d4, Shooting d4, Stealth d4, Streetwise d4, Survival d4
Pace: 6, Parry: 2, Toughness: 5, Charisma: 0
Gear: Unarmed Strike d4-2 (Str), Peacemaker d4 (2d6+1, 12/24/48), (50x) Bullets (Medium)

Special Abilities:
•Code of Honor: Honor is key; Keeps word, won't abuse/kill prisoners, etc.
•Pacifist: Despises violence; Will only fight to defend self
•Vow (Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience): Vow causes problems
•Arcane Miracles: Gain the Miracles arcane background

Arcane Powers:
•Deflection: Attacks are at -2 (or -4 with raise); Serves as Armor against area effect weapons
•Healing: Heal wounds within one hour (2 with raise); Cure poison and disease within 10 minutes
•Summon Ally: On success, create an ally anywhere within range, on a Raise ally gains the Hardy Edge, allies are Extras

Personal Details:
Sister Maria is a tall and slim young woman with pale skin and a cold look in her gray eyes. She dresses in a nun's habit that seems thinner and more fitted than normal. Her demeanor is quite serious, bordering on grim. But Sister Maria can be quite kind to those in need. Her first language is Spanish, she speaks English well but with a noticable accent.

As a young girl in Mexico, Maria Castellano was walking home from school when she was attacked by a possessed drifter. The fiend was having his depraved way with her when the local priest arrived and was able to drive it away. The priest took Maria to the church and nursed her back to health there. Out of gratitude, Maria decided to become a nun. After taking her vows, Sister Maria decided she would best serve God in places without spiritual guidence. She travels to small towns, giving what help she can. But in her soul, Sister Maria is still haunted by the trauma she went through. She feels dark desires burning inside her body that require all her faith to control.

Strangefate

And here's my character rough.  First time I've made a character for this system but it seemed fairly easy.  Hopefully everything is in order.  I'll find a picture and add it in later on.

Dr. Phoebe Clearwater
Name: Dr. Phoebe Clearwater

Attributes
Agility d6
Smarts d8
Spirit d8
Strength d4
Vigor d4

Skills
Persuasion Spirit d8
Knowledge (Medicine) Smarts d6
Healing Smarts d6
Streetwise Smarts d6
Taunt Smarts d6
Shooting Agility d6
Riding Agility d4
Notice Smarts d6

Derived
Charisma: 0
Grit: ?
Pace: 6”
Parry: 2
Toughness: 4

Hindrances
Bad Luck (Major)
Greedy (Minor)
Cautious (Minor)

Edges
Snake Oil Saleswoman
+2 Bonus to Persuasion and Streetwise rolls.  Can initiate Persuasion Test of Wills opposed by opponent's Smarts.     

Gear
Boots 8/4
Suit 15/6
Top Hat 5/
Lantern 2.50/4
Matches .50./ 1/4
Watch 2.50/ ½
Horse 150
Buckboard 75
Liquor (Good Stuff) x 5 25/20
Trail Rations x 4  2/18
50 Pistol Bullets 3
20 Shotgun Shells 2

Weapons
Derringer .41 5/10/20 2d6 1 5 1 8 AP 1
Double Barrel Shotgun 12/24/48 1-3d6 1-2 35 8 2 +2 Shooting Rolls

Dinero:  $169.50 out of $500

Note: This gear is loaded on the buckboard as befits a snakes oil saleswoman.  Presumably she has bottles of that substance packed as well.  On her person she just carries clothes, watch, and derringer.   

Background:
Dr. Phoebe Clearwater comes from back East where she supposedly earned a medical degree from some college or other, the name of which seems to change depending on who she’s talking to at the time.  She moves from boomtown to boomtown offering her healing services at a price along with various miracle cure elixirs, the pricier of which taste curiously of higher quality spirits and laudanum.  Outwardly friendly and polite, she is shrewd, persuasive, cutthroat, and unscrupulous, always looking for the main chance.  That said she shies away from direct violence, not being much of a fighter herself, and likes to fall in with groups that can offer her protection while traveling, preferably free of charge (even if that means a bit of non-remunerative healing from time to time).

Nightmare:
Phoebe's recurring nightmare since moving west is being broke and lost somewhere in the western badlands, pursued and hunted relentlessly by something she cannot name.  This is another reason she likes to travel in groups.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Robyn Hood

Great characters! I'll start with an opening scenario soon and when I've got it, make the OOC for the game. Giving the rest of you a little more time to get in on the very beginning ^_^ If you don't want to play anymore, let me know and we'll see if others want to.

@Strangefate
Looks good, your Grit is +1 to start. Also, your starting money is $250, not $500.

@Foxy Oni
Did you want to have anything else that's yours to start?

@Jaded
A silver cross is fine!

Strangefate

I think I used one of my minor hindrance points to double my starting money rather than take an extra skill point. 

Or did I misread the rules and do that wrong?
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

Robyn Hood

Nameless One

Gerard Blackwood
Name: Gerard Blackwood

ATTRIBUTES

Agility: d10
Smarts: d4
Spirit: d6
Strength: d6
Vigor: d8

SKILLS 3

Fighting: d8
Gambling: d4
Intimidation: d4
Investigation: d4
Notice: d4
Repair: d4
Riding: d8
Shooting: d8
Swimming: d4

DERIVED

Charisma: 0
Grit: 1
Pace: 6'' (+1d6'' running)
Parry: 6
Toughness: 6

HINDRANCES

Bad Dreams (major)
Vow - vendetta (minor)
Wanted - desertion (minor)

EDGES

Quick

GEAR

Boots
Trousers
Shirt (work)
Winter coat
Trail rations (5 days)
Backpack
Bedroll
Canteen
Cigars (10)
Watch, standard
Gun belt
Holster
Rifle boot
Stetson hat
Bottle of good stuff
Pistol ammo (50)
Rifle ammo (50)

WEAPONS

Colt Army .44
Winchester '73
Knife
Saber

TRANSPORTATION

Mule
Saddle
Saddlebags

DINERO

$ 48

WORST NIGHTMARE

Being turned into an undead.

PERSONAL DETAILS

Gerard had been in the Army since he was a young boy, a boy who wanted to become a war hero. Of course, he didn't. But he did become something: a deserter. After his platoon was attacked, raped and slaughtered by a swarm of red eyed, sharp toothed, flesh eating undead creatures, he decided that he had to do something to avenge his comrades and defeat the undeads. Unfortunately, that something wasn't in the army, so he took his things and ran away, like a thief in the night.
Now he's looking for the deads who killed his friend and stop the curse.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Robyn Hood

Hey everyone!

OOC thread is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=201586.0

I've put all the character sheets and information there. I'll be sending you all private messages soon to get you all started and make sure everyone is okay with everything. Sorry about the delay, I thought I would have time over this past weekend but it was so nice... I had to enjoy the sun!! ^_^