Mid-to-high level D&D 3.5? (Basically Full)

Started by TheGlyphstone, August 02, 2010, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I can't be the only person on the Internet who actually likes playing D&D in the middle to upper range of power (8-12 or so, maybe as high as 14), being significant entities instead of blips on the cosmic important radar? Past 15th or so is the exclusive private club of full spellcasters, but there's still plenty of room in the clubhouse before then.

Hoping to find some players who share the enjoyment of being movers and shakers, and a GM who's permissive with book selection (options are fun) but experienced enough to cut down game-breaking cheese before it starts and is comfortable with the shenanigans PCs can get up to in the early double digits.

Katina Tarask

I've been looking to play under a decent DM for a while, but having standards tends to be a problem.  I'm nearly to the "if you want something done right" point, but I'd very much like to actually play under a good DM.

ulthakptah

I feel your pain, so many time I've been in a game where we start at level one and try to work our way up to 20, (irl I haven't played much online). When the game only last until we make it to level 3. The worst part of it is, the way I was taught to make a character was to plan out all your levels to level 20, so I plan out the path from lvl 1 loser to 20 lvl BAMF and only getting to play him twice. I'm tired of being always below level ten, so count me in.

ff

Potentially interested. 12th is a nice starting level: rounded-off saves; just got a feat and ability score bump; sorcerers just got chain lightning - good for forum RPs without a precise spatial map of which PCs got caught by the Fireball. I would likely play either a

wood elf scout and-or ranger (more likely archery than TWF) - basically a higher level Aura for Gylphstone or anyone else familiar with our current campaign

or a

tiefling rogue and-or swashbuckler

i.e. a skill monkey who has to set up the right conditions for her damage potential (skirmish or sneak attack) and will appreciate the priest who can heal her, the tank she can get behind for archery or across from for Flanking status, or the mage who can give her Invisibility, Web the enemies so she can pick them off safely, etc.

If anyone else would like to play a rogue, I would probably play a ranger-scout with Distracting Attack, to help them get flanking status for their sneak attacks.

Latooni Subota

Well if my Katina is in, so am I. ;)

It'll be nice to make something with more than 1 level of a PrC :3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Katina Tarask

Maybe we'll actually be able to play together in this one, Latooni. :P

Keelan

I may also be interested, preferably as a player.  I'd like to play starting as either a Ranger (possibly Urban Ranger, with Distracting shot), a Monk (I just like monks :P), or maybe a ToB Sword Sage, but it's all up in the air at the moment.  She would be a lesbian, romantically at least, and she may be what I call 'bi for gain,' and after checking everyone's O/O this shouldn't be a problem.  I would ask what the general level of NC would be, as it's a rather fine line of what I can enjoy or tolerate with it.

I'd offer to DM, but I've never really DMed D&D before, and I do like having my own one character that I can have do all sorts of fun things in a game.  I guess, if this looks like we won't be able to get a DM for the game and I nobody really would prefer me not DMing as a new DM, I may, read that: may be able to give DMing  a shot.  Again, that is only a possibility, not  a guarantee.

TheGlyphstone

Well, that's a nice core group of 6 players, so now we need a GM to run it.

I'm a direhard psionics fan myself, of almost any flavor except Kineticist, I have an allergy to blasting magic. In particular, one of the most interesting 'evil' characters I ever played was a rather amoral Telepath/Thrallherd whose cohort/bodyguard was also his wife, and agonized frequently over if she actually loved him or was just compelled to by their psychic bond, and revisiting him would be fun.

Keelan

Ooh, since you mentioned psionics, I might just consider a psionic class too.  Always found Wilder's interesting from the EPHB...

TheGlyphstone

Bleeeeeeh, Wilders.

Psion+Anarchic Initiate from CPsi....all of the Wilder flavor, none of the Psychic Enervation fail (and more importantly, none of the cripplingly low Powers Known :D).

Keelan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 03, 2010, 08:51:46 AM
Bleeeeeeh, Wilders.

Psion+Anarchic Initiate from CPsi....all of the Wilder flavor, none of the Psychic Enervation fail (and more importantly, none of the cripplingly low Powers Known :D).
Hm... I may have to look into that; I have that book too.  Again though, we need a DM before anything can happen XP

Latooni Subota

>Implying 6 players is a nice amount for a group.

It's all about the 3-4 PC groups Glyph, and you know it. ;)
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Katina Tarask

If you want a 3-4 PC group, you take 6-8 knowing full well you'll lose half of them.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Latooni Subota on August 03, 2010, 03:26:40 PM
>Implying 6 players is a nice amount for a group.

It's all about the 3-4 PC groups Glyph, and you know it. ;)

Kat's right in the needing spares, but I personally prefer 5-6 person groups. With a 4-person party, more often than not people feel forced into the 'beatstick, skillmonkey, arcanist, healer' roleset - with an extra person or two, you can fit in a backup for one or more of them, have one role split across two people, or pull in useful 'fifth wheels' like a Factotum or Bard - Bards, in particular, get exponentially better in larger parties. It allows for more personal freedom, instead of someone feeling pidgeonholed into a particular duty because "the group needs X".

Tom

Hey. I might be interested DM'ing for you guys. I've been DM'ing for 20+ years, although obviously not 3.5 for all of them. I've played all levels and settings and I'm familiar with most options and sourcebooks.

I'm thinking something gritty and dark would be nice, rather than high fantasy. I would prefer using a generic/homemade setting, rather than an official campaign setting, although with standardized deities, races, etc.

I think sexual content should fill about 25% of thread space (game time), although I'd be open to tweak this number in one or the other direction. With the D&D gameworld being a violent and brutal place, I think this content would fall into the NC Exotic area once in a while.

I think it would be fun starting out in enemy occupied territory; a human city within the land of the hordes of evil. Where resistance and freedom fighters must be wary of both their occupying enemies as well as traitors within. Imagine France during WWII, only with evil monsters, villainous spellcasters and gruesome priests - instead of nazis.

TheGlyphstone

I could go for a gritty game - shades of grey are always more entertaining than black and white. It's not like you have much competition for the slot, so the more details the merrier.

Katina Tarask

Except... grit doesn't really work out all that well.  At mid-high levels, D&D is fantasy supers, and the game... really, it works against grit in every way possible once you're past, like, level five, and all manner of gritty elements are quite deliberately left out of the rules altogether.  "Stranded behind enemy lines" does not work when you can teleport a hundred miles away as a standard action, and if you strip away things like Teleport and Plane Shift, it rather defeats the purpose of having a higher-level game to begin with.

Keelan

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 05, 2010, 10:11:59 AM
Except... grit doesn't really work out all that well.  At mid-high levels, D&D is fantasy supers, and the game... really, it works against grit in every way possible once you're past, like, level five, and all manner of gritty elements are quite deliberately left out of the rules altogether.  "Stranded behind enemy lines" does not work when you can teleport a hundred miles away as a standard action, and if you strip away things like Teleport and Plane Shift, it rather defeats the purpose of having a higher-level game to begin with.
Full agreement on my part; being stuck behind enemy lines only works if you have a massive Anti-Magic field, and then any spellcaster is plain fucked, and to create one of this size you'd need something extremely powerful, more powerful than we could handle and then we're pretty much fucked.  Also, I would rather not play a 'gritty' game on here, for you see I'm not the most fond of NC; I have a very narrow and relatively unforgiving range of 'love and/or tolerate' when it comes to NC, and I can assure you that a 'gritty' world would step well beyond those limits.

I personally would prefer more of the high fantasy setting, but perhaps we can come to some sort of agreeable compromise?

TheGlyphstone

..on the other hand, my fellow potential players have raised points I can't really ignore, despite my happiness to have DM interest.

ff

In my experience being and seeing other DMs, I've generally noticed that giving the PCs an incentive / 'rabbit to chase' / reason to go *into* a situation tends to work better than trying to put them in one yourself or make them get *out* of something in a certain way.

I'm not saying anyone would do the following, but I have seen DMs banninate teleport type magic b/c it ruined their plot tor their planned encounters-on-the-journey....[after the spellcaster had Teleport sitting there on their spells known or prepared list for weeks of real time (not when the RP started)! I've also seem DMs, in response to players making pregame comments about Teleport, say 'well that's easy, I'll just ban it!' - in my experience people who do that usually end to banning lots of other things later - like just staying Invisible for long periods of time, or Airwalking, or in the end any magic involving more planning/thinking than Fireball - and tend to have very linear/railroad ideas about their RP.

For example, one might create a quest (and method of questgiving) involving *going* 'behind enemy lines' to rescue someone / retrieve something (which is nontrivial to scry, and-or leads to something/someone else go grab while there).

Also, if it's a 'homebrew' setting, I'd like a fair amount of background information about the world, both b/c it's harder to get into it otherwise, and it can lead to a lot of gaps in PC behavior (lot not being able to have a backstory to speak of).

I also prefer 'high fantasy' to 'grit', and am not really interested in DM-instigated NC.

JadeCore

Don't mind me too much, but I'd be interested once there's more to go on.

WyzardWhately

I am deeply interested in this, mostly because the thread so far has no posts that are illiterate.  And also because I've been wanting to play in a D&D game that breaks level 10 for quite some time now.

I know there are a great many hats in the ring, but I believe it would be worthwhile to get in even as an alternate.  This is exactly the kind of game I've been looking for.

If I quoted all the things being said in this thread that I agreed with, it'd be a very long post.  Suffice to say that high-level PCs can't be kept in the box, and that's part of what appeals to me about it.

Addendum: Incidentally, Dark =/= gritty.  You can make a game dark and morally ambiguous without it being "gritty," if the players buy into that.  Just a thought.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

ulthakptah

Um... I think his idea was for us to stay and fight, not run like a bunch of pussies. Personally I like the idea of having a group of adventures turn the tides of war in their favor by single handedly defeating an evil army occupying their capital.

Ixy

Lately it seems that I'm posting interest in everything that says the letter D twice in the thread title.  I still have room for games, as thusfar I have 2 solid, 1 questionable, and 1 forming.  Again, playing the odds, I'll probably be at 3 threads by Fall... I can handle up to 5 happily, if the pace is averaging 1-2 posts per day. 
Last time we played together, KT and Glyph, it got a little werid and I had to bail because of personal issues.  Well, at the moment, my personal issues are under a reasonable degree of control, so hopefully we can try again. 

If you're full up here, groovy-- I'll live, and might hang around in case you need an alternate.  If you settle on a GM, we'll see how everybody 'clicks' and maybe I can join up?

Kunoichi

Personally, as far as high-level games go, I've always wanted to try a Thieves' Guild game.  Balancing heists, political intrigue and action scenes with an overarching plot could be pretty fun in such a game, especially since it would be rather easy to give the party an overall goal.

Plus, imagining the various build ideas one might come up with for such a game is pretty fun for me... ^^;