Looking for an Exalted 3e game!

Started by Alistair Leonhart, April 03, 2018, 05:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alistair Leonhart

There is a full Solar Circle already in the making, but given the recent previews of the Dragon-Blooded book (including all of their Charms), people who are cool with playing Dragon-Blooded in this game are still being accepted. I'm afraid that doubling up on a Solar Caste would throw a lot of the balance out of whack, but Dragon-Blooded can do many things a Solar can't so it'd bring more variety without straight up breaking the balance of the game. On the plus side, a PC Dragon-Blooded would start at Essence 3 to let them pick Signature Charms and therefore not feel like they're lagging behind the Solars in terms of supernatural might.

Angie

Ah, sounds like you got a lot of players already if there's a full circle. Wish I had seen this sooner!  :D
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Alistair Leonhart

Yeah, there's a few of them already. I'm really sorry about that, but I have my doubts about being able to handle too many Solars as someone who is more or less new to GM'ing/ST'ing. Was there a concept you were interested in playing as?

Angie

Nah, I just like Exalted. I have a million concepts, so I guess let me know if people drop.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

TFcommando

Quote from: Alistair Leonhart on April 20, 2018, 11:48:51 AM
Looks pretty good! One question though: What is the Magical Material of your Daiklave? It's likely some color of Jade since you looted it from the corpse of a Dynast, and there are plenty of Jade Daiklaves statted in Arms of the Chosen, so I could grab one of those and see if you like its concept enough to use it. Since you know, grabbing a "generic" Daiklave is impossible, each one of them is different with unique powers and playstyle, etc.

Artifact weapons are another tricky thing to work out.  Even with Arms of the Chosen, there's still not a ton of examples to easily adapt from, and you need a name and nature to go with the powers. 

Perhaps it's jade with an orichalcum edge... some ambitious Dynast took an existing golden blade and forged a jade shell around it to try and contain its wild power a few hundred/thousand years ago.  Or just straight orichalcum... anyone sent that far from the Blessed Isle probably doesn't get the best, most fashionable gear.  Theme-wise, something related to skill over raw strength, or balance, or mobility, since she has a wire-fu fighting style.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Alistair Leonhart

Raw strength and mobility are probably going to be Red Jade. However, there are a few examples in Arms of the Chosen for wire-fu weapons. Rainwalker, the umbrella artifact that doubles as a shield, has quite a few mobility options, while Fist of Titans has a lot of raw strength. Otherwise, we could always come up with an entirely new one, as Arms also shows you how to homebrew your own Artifacts.

TFcommando

Custom or re-working Rainwalker as a daiklave could be the way to go.  Though since many artifacts require you to pay points for the first evocation, there might not be a hurry, as it'd be a bit before there was enough experience to unlock it.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Alistair Leonhart

Remember you can always trade a starting Charm for an Evocation, and also, Artifacts start with Attunement Bonuses which sometimes include an Evocation you earn for free.

KrataLightblade

Quote from: TFcommando on April 20, 2018, 02:16:05 AM
He's got 4 dots in Languages and 4 languages... what's his free native tongue?

I am a dolt because I originally wanted it to be Old Realm and then decided Old Realm wasn't necessary and then I eventually decided it worked well enough so I can bargain with spirits and put it back on but forgot to update the sheet again.

So it's Old Realm, though obviously this ain't no sorceror.  Yet.  You never know, with Solars.

EDIT: Also, I'll finish porting the sheet over a bit later.  I've got everything but Charms ported over, that's going to, uh, take awhile of typing.

Also, it's entirely possible Lei Ming and Summer Whisper know one another, or at least of one another.  They do seem to both have connections with the less lawful folk in the area.  If that's something you want to discuss a bit, let me know, TF!

TFcommando

Quote from: Alistair Leonhart on April 20, 2018, 06:12:02 PM
Remember you can always trade a starting Charm for an Evocation, and also, Artifacts start with Attunement Bonuses which sometimes include an Evocation you earn for free.

Inspired by Rainwalker, how about a blue jade blade with its first evocation being one that reduces the cost of Thunderbolt Attack Prana by 1m and 1wp?  The Rising Meteor Blade or Skyfall might be suitable names.

Quote from: KrataLightblade on April 20, 2018, 07:33:35 PM

Also, it's entirely possible Lei Ming and Summer Whisper know one another, or at least of one another.  They do seem to both have connections with the less lawful folk in the area.  If that's something you want to discuss a bit, let me know, TF!

Sure!  The isle isn't that big, and Summer Whisper has a lot of "grease the wheels" skills that would compliment Lei Ming's MO of "Take valuable things at sword point."  Fencing swag and laundering money, for instance.  Ming's defining tie is going to be something relating to "safeguarding her family," which will include her Circle as well as her band of bandits and the part of town under her sway, being a softie at heart, so that could be how their fates became intertwined.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Alistair Leonhart

Reducing a point of WP as cost for a really powerful Charm is not exactly grounds for a good Evocation ^^;

TFcommando

Quote from: Alistair Leonhart on April 21, 2018, 09:24:13 AM
Reducing a point of WP as cost for a really powerful Charm is not exactly grounds for a good Evocation ^^;

Seems like a good one to me! 😀 

One idea to show it’s a fast and deft weapon is to give it the Disarming tag and an evocation that enhances or rewards the Disarming action in some way (though disarming can be a cheesy tactic, admittedly).  Enhancing Monkey Leap when attacking would be another.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Alistair Leonhart

Disarming is much more feasible than lowering TAP's cost (which is not going to happen). As a matter of fact, one of Arms' artifacts is very heavily based around disarming (Burning Branch), being Green Jade.

Marie Reynolds

Are  you still taking players?

I would  be completely okay with not playing a Solar exalt since you have a  full circle.

Alistair Leonhart

If you are alright with playing Dragon-Blooded as seen in the Kickstarter previews (of course, updating the details that might change once the actual book reaches us) then yes, I'm still taking players ^^ Custom rules for Dragon-Blooded to start at Essence 3 so that you gain access to Signature Charms can apply if you'd rather have those available, or you can use the normal Essence 2 chargen for the standard experience. Any character concept you might be interested in?

Marie Reynolds

Hmm well  I was thinking may  a lost  thread of the dragons blood or as they used to be  known a lost egg.   

Not sure on aspect.

an Idea, Is a  individual who has set there  eyes  to becoming a stabilizing  factor int the lives of those in the Slums. Providing  safety and security and would see a part of this done by bringing criminal enterprises under his or her banner to function as supported agents that act with the impunity to strike out against other criminal Organizations that have not signed on to his or her charter. Thus using what was once  a hardship to contend with in life but making it apart of the solution to make the  Slums a better place to life and rise above its impoverished state. Think One part Politician/One part Folk Hero/One part Criminal.

I don't have access to the dragon blooded creation rules with out backing  the kickstarter.

Alistair Leonhart

You can always pledge, get the previews, then cancel your pledge at any moment before this upcoming Tuesday, so at least you'll get the unedited draft of the rules before the community and the devs work together to smooth out some rough edges.

As for a Lost Egg, that sounds actually pretty feasible. They're called Outcastes this time around. As for your concept, I think Water Aspect would work the best with it. They are good bureaucrats and criminals, and the folk hero part is up to them, so it fits the concept pretty well.

Avalon29

Mmm, after thinking it over I'll be swapping over to throw from martial arts so I'll be doing some changes to my sheet. ^^

Marie Reynolds

Alright I did my backing and looking through the manuscripts now.

Water Aspect is probably a good starting point to look at to flesh out the character.

So if a charm has a different element  key word then  your aspect  can you take it?

Alistair Leonhart

Indeed. You can take Charms from any of the 5 elements. The Keywords are there to determine if you enter an Aura at the end of your turn or not. For example, if you only use Fire Charms (Or mix Fire Charms with Balanced Charms) then you enter Fire Aura, but if you use Fire and Water Charms you enter no Aura at the end of your turn. Otherwise, yes, you can take any of the Charms.

KrataLightblade

I'd like to state that the new Dragon-blooded rules are AWESOME and the 3e DBs are GREAT and I adore them so hard.  There's still a power gap, but it's smaller than it used to be and it's not nearly as absolute as it once was.  DBs feel powerful now, and with the aspected and Signature Charms you get a lot of uniqueness to doing things your way.

Marie Reynolds

I think the new rules  in general are pretty good  from what I have read.  I do enjoy my Outcaste Dragon Blooded.  I look forward to what they do with my favorite the god blooded!

Alistair Leonhart

God-Blooded could be created as mortals with some Supernatural Merits or Mutations this time around, while stronger God-Blooded are more akin to Mist the Revolutionary or Ku Neneveya (From Adversaries of the Righteous) in that they have a number of not too powerful but interesting powers they can draw from, in the forms of Charms or Miracles, as well as mote pools to attune to Artifacts and such (Though they treat most artifacts as Dissonant)

Edit: Also, yes, I absolutely adore 3e's Dragon-Blooded and how much the power gap was closed. It's not a gulf anymore at least. And the amount of unique and overtly supernatural powers compared to the Solars they get... man, I feel happy they got this much love during this edition. Can't wait for the next ones up, the Lunars!

TFcommando

Since there are so many Dynasts on the island, wouldn't an Outcaste attract their attention for recruitment?  They do like getting lost eggs to embrace the Realm, after all.  It'd probably be a carrot-heavy approach.  "Hey, have you heard the good news about being a Dynast?"
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in